Mar 18, 2014, 3:08 PM EDT
As the NCAA brackets have been unveiled on both the men’s and the women’s side, we thought it would be fun to have a competition to find the best basketball moment in Notre Dame men’s basketball history.
The Austin Carr Region will house eight moments from the history of the men’s basketball program.
Today, we unveil the eight moments from the men’s basketball program.
After learning about each matchup, vote for which moment you believe should move on to the next round. Look for who will survive and advance next monday.
88 and 1 (Jan. 19, 1974)
What really needs to be said about this moment? UCLA had won three consecutive NCAA Titles and were unbeaten in the previous 88 games. A Notre Dame moment was born.
Irish Dominate #19 Villanova (Feb. 28, 2011)
The seventh-ranked Irish began senior day needing a win to secure a double-bye in the BIG EAST Tournament. The way they played could have defeated any team in the country as the Irish tallied 20 three-pointers and stellar play on both ends of the floor.
Downing #1 Yet Again (Feb. 1, 1987)
Down by double-digits at multiple times throughout the game, the Irish would come back to stun the top-ranked North Carolina Tar Heels on the back of David Rivers and Gary Voce.
Carr Pours In 61 Points (March 7, 1970)
Austin Carr scores an NCAA tournament record 61 points as Notre Dame routs Ohio State 112-82. Carr went 25-44 from the floor and knocked in 11-14 free throws.
Elmer Bennett Buzzer Beater 1990 (Feb. 18, 1990)
A game that pitted Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim against Notre Dame’s Digger Phelps turned out to be a thriller in 1990. The Orange came in ranked fourth in the country and sported a 37-game home non conference winning streak.
Ingelsby Beats Buzzer, Downs #4 BC (Feb. 21, 2001)
With just a few seconds left, the Irish trailed fourth-ranked Eagles of Boston College by one. Guard Martin Ingelsby took the ball and dribbled toward the left elbow, the rest was history.
Grant Goes Off In Final Ticks vs. #11 Louisville (Feb. 9, 2013)
Five overtimes. 12 points in 28 seconds. Sherman’s 17 points in overtime. This game against Louisville had so many storylines. In the end, the Irish came away with a much-needed BIG EAST win over the Cardinals of Louisville.
Notre Dame Takes Down A Giant (Feb. 22, 1981)
The Irish went against the giant that was #1 Virginia and their do-everything Wooden Award winner Ralph Sampson. Coach Phelps and Notre Dame would tally yet another win over a top-ranked squad.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Wishing the best of luck to our #IrishInTheWNBA, @SkyDigg4, @MsPeters14, and @jewellloyd as the @WNBA playoffs tip-… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 hours ago
- Always making time for others! @MuffetMcGraw paid a visit to the Sisters of the Holy Cross today-some of our bigg… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 8 hours ago
- Thank you so much to our donors that made our foreign tour to Rome and Croatia this summer possible! We couldn’t ha… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 11 hours ago
- Head Coach @MuffetMcGraw with @AlliHayesSports, kicking off the 2018 Run Jane Run golf outing. All proceeds benef… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Wishing the happiest of Birthdays to @d_patterson33!! https://t.co/N2LIJA1TO2 3 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Hauling in the hardwood‼️ Base layer of our future practice court in Rolfs Athletics Hall taking shape. https://t.co/Wowlr0JOZT 10 hours ago
- Congrats to @NDmbb alum, 1977-81 guard, former administrator at ND and soon to be @NCAA EVP of regulatory affairs… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 15 hours ago
- A great six days to spend with our family, getting better on the court and closer off of it. #RiseTogether ⚡️ “20… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 days ago
- The 2018-19 future is bright 😎 for @Tempppp12 - 1️⃣4️⃣ 3s over 3 games in 🇧🇸‼️ https://t.co/pFvB4a7lXy 1 week ago
- Final night on the island - perfect time for an Italian-style meal. https://t.co/mZCut6IdaO 1 week ago