Mar 18, 2014, 3:08 PM EDT
As the NCAA brackets have been unveiled on both the men’s and the women’s side, we thought it would be fun to have a competition to find the best basketball moment in Notre Dame men’s basketball history.
The Austin Carr Region will house eight moments from the history of the men’s basketball program.
Today, we unveil the eight moments from the men’s basketball program.
After learning about each matchup, vote for which moment you believe should move on to the next round. Look for who will survive and advance next monday.
88 and 1 (Jan. 19, 1974)
What really needs to be said about this moment? UCLA had won three consecutive NCAA Titles and were unbeaten in the previous 88 games. A Notre Dame moment was born.
Irish Dominate #19 Villanova (Feb. 28, 2011)
The seventh-ranked Irish began senior day needing a win to secure a double-bye in the BIG EAST Tournament. The way they played could have defeated any team in the country as the Irish tallied 20 three-pointers and stellar play on both ends of the floor.
Downing #1 Yet Again (Feb. 1, 1987)
Down by double-digits at multiple times throughout the game, the Irish would come back to stun the top-ranked North Carolina Tar Heels on the back of David Rivers and Gary Voce.
Carr Pours In 61 Points (March 7, 1970)
Austin Carr scores an NCAA tournament record 61 points as Notre Dame routs Ohio State 112-82. Carr went 25-44 from the floor and knocked in 11-14 free throws.
Elmer Bennett Buzzer Beater 1990 (Feb. 18, 1990)
A game that pitted Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim against Notre Dame’s Digger Phelps turned out to be a thriller in 1990. The Orange came in ranked fourth in the country and sported a 37-game home non conference winning streak.
Ingelsby Beats Buzzer, Downs #4 BC (Feb. 21, 2001)
With just a few seconds left, the Irish trailed fourth-ranked Eagles of Boston College by one. Guard Martin Ingelsby took the ball and dribbled toward the left elbow, the rest was history.
Grant Goes Off In Final Ticks vs. #11 Louisville (Feb. 9, 2013)
Five overtimes. 12 points in 28 seconds. Sherman’s 17 points in overtime. This game against Louisville had so many storylines. In the end, the Irish came away with a much-needed BIG EAST win over the Cardinals of Louisville.
Notre Dame Takes Down A Giant (Feb. 22, 1981)
The Irish went against the giant that was #1 Virginia and their do-everything Wooden Award winner Ralph Sampson. Coach Phelps and Notre Dame would tally yet another win over a top-ranked squad.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: #1 The number "1" means more to @NDlacrosse than being selected as the NCAA's #1 seed, it means giving #1PercentMore ht… 12 hours ago
- Good luck to our team and all of our students at ND as they enter finals week! Study Like A Champion! 🍀📓📒📚 12 hours ago
- Congrats to @Arike_O and her 3 on 3 team for winning and qualifying to compete in Hungary from May 29-June 7! So happy for you Arike!🍀🇺🇸 1 day ago
- Great performances by our future Irish out in Colorado for @usabasketball! So proud! 1 day ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: @ndwbb hey thanks y'all! So blessed and lucky to work with the best teams and the best school in the world! #nowhereidrat… 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: Does your school have alums as head men in the MLB & NBA? We do! ⚾️C. Counsell @Brewers 🏀M. Williams @PelicansNBA http… 45 minutes ago
- RT @NDMikeBrey: @UnderArmour family on a roll! Congrats to @StephenCurry30! #TeamUA 4 hours ago
- RT @NDSlo: Two months until these @UnderArmour sneakers can get back on the road to find the next great ND man! http://t.co/lk3Ny3ZgEG 5 hours ago
- Proud to say we wore the shoes created for the NBA MVP! Congrats @StephenCurry30 on the MVP year. #SC30 #TeamUA http://t.co/k36QV6YTRQ 8 hours ago
- #DreamChasin' twitter.com/ndslo/status/5… 2 days ago
- M. Lacrosse. Conor Doyle Named ACC Offensive Player of the Week
- Monogram Club. Ashley Armstrong And Peter Schneider Receive Monogram Club Postgraduate Scholarships
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse To Face Ohio State in NCAA First Round
- M. Lacrosse. Top-Seeded Notre Dame to Play Host to Towson-High Point Winner In NCAA Men's Lacrosse First Round Saturday at Arlotta Stadium
- Baseball. Tough First Three Innings Lead To 8-4 Notre Dame Loss