Jan 19, 2014, 10:04 AM EST
Mike Franz, the official 2013-14 men’s basketball beat writer for the In The Paint blog, is currently a sophomore at Holy Cross College. Over the course of the year Mike will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Mike (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBloggers.
Notre Dame Basketball has been on a tough stretch of games this past week and a half. After upsetting Duke at home in the team’s inaugural ACC conference game, the Irish lost the following three games against NC State, Georgia Tech and most recently, Maryland. The team is now 1-3 in conference play with an overall record of 10-7. Although many Irish fans believe the team’s season is in jeopardy of turning from bad to worse, freshman guard Steve Vasturia believes the team can salvage this season.
Vasturia has been getting a lot of playing time recently. His confidence to shoot the ball has increased as of late which started during the Duke game.
“[College basketball] is a lot faster, but practicing every day really helps,” he said. “I have just been trying to get acclimated.”
Pitted against the talented Blue Devils, he responded tremendously. Scoring nine points and snagging four defensive rebounds, Vasturia helped the Irish pull out the win and start off their ACC campaign right. “I just tried to make an impact and help make the win possible,” Vasturia explained. “I believe I was able to help us a little bit.”
That game was really the first time the freshman was able to show his talents to Irish fans. I was impressed with his execution around the three point line. Also, his rebounding ability was much appreciated because you cannot give a team like Duke second-chance points.
His performance in the Duke game did not go unnoticed as he was named ACC Rookie of the Week; the first of any Notre Dame player in the program’s history. “It was a great honor [referring to being named ACC Rookie of the Week],” he admitted. “We all got a really big win and we were really excited about it.”
After that big win, to say the past three games were disappointing would be an understatement. It seemed as though the Irish were digging themselves out of a hole or putting themselves into one late in the game.
Inconsistency would be a word used to describe the team’s play recently. “We’re just trying to take it one game at a time,” the freshman said. “We got a big game Sunday and we’re gonna try to get a little win streak going.”
The Irish are going to have to change some things if they want to get that big W. “We need to keep competing and play great defense.” Vasturia said,”It comes down to executing.”
What I took from Vasturia was this: The team is confident, composed and determined to turn this season around. And Sunday’s game against the Hokies is the team’s first chance to get back in the win column. Sunday would be a big win not only because it would improve their conference record, but also because at halftime former head coach, Digger Phelps, will be inducted into the Notre Dame Ring of Honor. The game is scheduled for 6:00PM and can be seen on ESPNU.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- "The Lord can heal your heart if you believe" -Ingrid Williams Thoughts and prayers for Monty Williams & his family https://t.co/BJyDwdtQbQ 2 hours ago
- Coach McGraw doing a meet and greet with fans today at the Meijer in Mishawaka! #bestfans https://t.co/RtwpUAnjYq 4 hours ago
- Lots of nominations pouring in this week 🍀 Congrats to Bri and Lindsay! twitter.com/naismithtrophy… 20 hours ago
- Only a few more days to bid on your favorite @ndwbb items in the Pink Zone auction. und.cstvauctions.com/gallery.cfm https://t.co/MRKGJdujsQ 1 day ago
- Lots of 💓 for @NDRecsports for support of our Pink Zone 🏀 Spots are filling fast for the Spin-A-thon on Friday 🚴🏼 🍀 twitter.com/ndrecsports/st… 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Congrats to DJ on being named to @NaismithTrophy Midseason Watch List. 🏀@D_Jay24's Stats: 16.5ppg, 5apg, 3.5rpg https://t.co/YHIGazgKgO 32 minutes ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏀 #1 UNC | 2016 🏀 #11 LOUISVILLE | 2013 🏀 #1 SYRACUSE | 2012 Take a look back at some of @NDmbb's biggest games. http… 1 hour ago
- 🏀Throwin' OOPS don't stop when you graduate. Check out EA's (@EAtkins0) pass for the @ErieBayHawks of @NBADLeague. https://t.co/RlKlI2bqOT 3 hours ago
- RT @PlanetPat5: You can take the man out of south bend but you can't take Notre Dame out of the man.. Headed back w/ the bros 🍀 https://t.c… 3 hours ago
- After our win over Clemson, HC Brad Brownell talked about our offensive prowess (we are #1 in Off. Efficiency...) https://t.co/yx17w4yRh6 6 hours ago
- M. Swimming. Irish To Compete at Michigan First Chance Meet
- W. Swimming. Irish To Compete at Michigan First Chance Meet
- M. Ice Hockey. No. 8 Irish to Host Maine for Weekend Series
- Softball. Diamond Details: Kajikawa Classic
- General News. Four Irish Student-Athletes Earn ACC Postgraduate Scholarships