Dec 20, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
Rachel Murphy, the official 2013-14 women’s basketball beat writer for the In The Paint blog, is currently a sophomore at St. Mary’s College. Over the course of the year Rachel will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Rachel (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBloggers.
I recently caught up with Notre Dame Women’s basketball freshman Kristina Nelson. The 6’3’’ forward, wearing number five for the Irish this year, answered some questions about life and basketball.
When did you start playing basketball? When I was nine
If you didn’t play basketball, what sport would you play? Probably like softball… I love to watch!
Who is your personal hero? My mom. She works really hard and is an overall great person.
Why did you choose Notre Dame? I chose Notre Dame because of the great academics and success in athletics, but also because of the aspect of family that is a big part of our team.
Who is the most entertaining teammate? Ariel Braker. The things she does are unbelievable and hilarious!
Do you have any pre-game rituals? Nope!
What is your favorite Disney Movie? Lion King
What is your favorite food? Anything except for eggs!
Besides basketball, do you have any hobbies? Shopping!
What is your favorite TV show? Keeping up with the Kardashians!
What is your dream vacation? The Dominican Republic or Greece
If you could have a superpower, what would you want it to be? To read minds! I like to know what people are thinking!
Who is your celebrity crush? Shemar Moore from Criminal Minds
Chocolate or Vanilla? Vanilla
Cats or Dogs? Dogs
When she isn’t shopping or watching Keeping up with the Kardashians, she is working to earn her place on the strong Irish team. Playing in eight games so far this season, Nelson is averaging 3.4 points per game, not bad for a freshman, huh?
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Sneak peek No. ✌️ of the championship season documentary being shot by @NDFIM 🎬 #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/SwDdphvdFJ 17 hours ago
- When you're crushing it 💪 in your community like @SkyDigg4, it’s easy to see why this former Irish took home the… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- ☘️ Bring your glow sticks ☘️ Wear your best lime green shirt ☘️ Come be apart of our 2018-2019 intro video that wi… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Sneak Peek: Day 1️⃣ in shooting a documentary on the championship season 🎬🎥 #GoIrish☘️ https://t.co/UKjFyjJMT9 1 day ago
- “The walking bucket,” @kaymac_2123 continued her scoring tear last night as she dropped 27 points!… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: We know who we're voting for! 👇 👀 @NDmbb #GoIrish twitter.com/marchmadness/s… 3 days ago
- RT @NDmbb: Little glimpse of our work out today. Great to see @PHubb_3 out there! Another day to get better... #RiseTogether https://t.co/j… 3 days ago
- Little glimpse of our work out today. Great to see @PHubb_3 out there! Another day to get better... #RiseTogether https://t.co/j4jzSSNqUN 4 days ago
- Our ✋ scored ‘just’ 10,396 career points. twitter.com/marchmadness/s… 4 days ago
- 🏀+📚=🎓 Two graduates, two academic honors. Liam Nelligan (returning for a 5th this year) and Matt Gregory earn… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 days ago
- W. Volleyball. Johnson Announces Volleyball Staff For Upcoming Season
- W. Rowing. O'Tighearnaigh Named Honorable Mention All-American
- Football. Irish Trio Named To Bednarik,Maxwell Watch Lists
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps