Dec 3, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
This post was originally published on the Notre Dame Monogram Club blog.
When the Fighting Irish men’s basketball team takes the floor in Iowa City this evening (9:15 pm ET on ESPN2), there will be at least a couple Iowans with deep ties to Notre Dame.
Fran McCaffery, head coach of the 23rd-ranked Hawkeyes, served as an assistant under Digger Phelps and John MacLeod at Notre Dame from 1988-99. During that time, he helped recruit Martin Ingelsby (’01) and Harold Swanagan (’02), both of whom are current Irish staff members.
But perhaps it is McCaffery’s wife, the former Margaret Nowlin (’92), whose connection to the University is strongest.
The St. Paul, Minn. native was a four-time Monogram winner, three-year starter and 1,000-point scorer (she tallied 1,312, to be exact) for Irish head coach Muffet McGraw from 1988-92.
As a senior, she led the squad with 16.5 points and 8.7 rebounds per game and was named first-team all-Midwestern Collegiate Conference. During that season, Nowlin also earned MCC Tournament MVP honors. In the championship game, she scored 16 points and grabbed 12 rebounds, leading Notre Dame to an upset victory over Xavier and its first NCAA tournament appearance in program history.
After receiving her degree in government in 1992, Nowlin played one year professionally in France, and later returned to Notre Dame where she was an assistant on Coach McGraw’s staff during the 1995-96 season.
A quick look at Margaret’s student-athlete questionnaire in her Notre Dame media relations file uncovered a few fun facts. She was born in Kabwe, Zambia, if she could meet anyone from history she would choose Abraham Lincoln and Eleanor Roosevelt, and her favorite Muppet is Grover.
If she was starting a college basketball team, which player would she choose first? David Robinson, now a regular in Notre Dame Stadium where he cheers on his son, Corey, a freshman receiver for the Irish.
While it is probably safe to say Margaret will be wearing black and gold tonight, there’s no doubt that part of her will always be cheering for old Notre Dame.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Might be opponents today, but they'll always be Irish ☘️😊💚 twitter.com/wnba/status/86… 14 hours ago
- Time to claim #IrishintheWNBA bragging rights! ☘️ @SkyDigg4 vs @kaymac_2123 ⏰ Tip at 12pm ET #WNBALive WNBA.Twitter.com 16 hours ago
- 💯 twitter.com/fiba3x3/status… 3 days ago
- 👀😳🔥 Congrats to @jewellloyd on scoring 1000 points in the League! 👏🏽🎉🙌🏽 https://t.co/olGJVFBdzl 3 days ago
- 4 years. 4 ACC Titles. And a #40YearDecision! Congrats to our grads, Diamond, Lindsay & Koko! ☘️🎓 https://t.co/rpuTlYYuzx 4 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- The Pick N Roll Master = @MattyFarr3 400 PnRs in 2016-17 (most in the ACC) Just 12% turnover ratio (lowest in ACC)… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- RT @NDMikeBrey: Torres, VJ & Steve: 4 years. 97 wins. 10 NCAA Tourney Games. An ACC Title. And a TON of great memories! I'm so proud to b… 4 days ago
- Great to know that Bonzie will be back. Coach Brey on the senior All-American: https://t.co/LPen9eIEI0 1 week ago
- RT @MonSportsNet: Watch 4 of new @NDmbb commit @PHubb_3's games from @GonzagaSports (incl. 1 w/@Ourand_SBJ on the call) FREE today! https:/… 1 week ago
- RT @PHubb_3: Let's make it official!🍀🏀#GoIrish @NDmbb https://t.co/FTw9Ta3tlF 1 week ago