Dec 3, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
This post was originally published on the Notre Dame Monogram Club blog.
When the Fighting Irish men’s basketball team takes the floor in Iowa City this evening (9:15 pm ET on ESPN2), there will be at least a couple Iowans with deep ties to Notre Dame.
Fran McCaffery, head coach of the 23rd-ranked Hawkeyes, served as an assistant under Digger Phelps and John MacLeod at Notre Dame from 1988-99. During that time, he helped recruit Martin Ingelsby (’01) and Harold Swanagan (’02), both of whom are current Irish staff members.
But perhaps it is McCaffery’s wife, the former Margaret Nowlin (’92), whose connection to the University is strongest.
The St. Paul, Minn. native was a four-time Monogram winner, three-year starter and 1,000-point scorer (she tallied 1,312, to be exact) for Irish head coach Muffet McGraw from 1988-92.
As a senior, she led the squad with 16.5 points and 8.7 rebounds per game and was named first-team all-Midwestern Collegiate Conference. During that season, Nowlin also earned MCC Tournament MVP honors. In the championship game, she scored 16 points and grabbed 12 rebounds, leading Notre Dame to an upset victory over Xavier and its first NCAA tournament appearance in program history.
After receiving her degree in government in 1992, Nowlin played one year professionally in France, and later returned to Notre Dame where she was an assistant on Coach McGraw’s staff during the 1995-96 season.
A quick look at Margaret’s student-athlete questionnaire in her Notre Dame media relations file uncovered a few fun facts. She was born in Kabwe, Zambia, if she could meet anyone from history she would choose Abraham Lincoln and Eleanor Roosevelt, and her favorite Muppet is Grover.
If she was starting a college basketball team, which player would she choose first? David Robinson, now a regular in Notre Dame Stadium where he cheers on his son, Corey, a freshman receiver for the Irish.
While it is probably safe to say Margaret will be wearing black and gold tonight, there’s no doubt that part of her will always be cheering for old Notre Dame.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- You heard Holly! Let’s bring home a few more 🏆🏆🏆… this time from the @ESPYS! ⤵️ 🗳 es.pn/2JZQsFj… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 hour ago
- It's that 🏆 time again! 📍 Ascendant Orthopedic Alliance at 60160 Bodnar Blvd in Mishawaka ⏰ 11-Noon 📍… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 hours ago
- Our history is full of strong women. When we win, our inspiring alumnae are right there with us. 🏆 #TBT #GoIrish☘️ https://t.co/hsh30aRdkX 4 hours ago
- Home page of the @ESPYS looking 👌 #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/kBDd0eYyp1 16 hours ago
- First 3️⃣ days of class at ND for our freshmen ☑️🎒☘️ #GoIrish https://t.co/IlSS9gQQjv 18 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- It was 25 years ago, but for @NDmbb’s John Paxson, we know it still feels like yesterday. twitter.com/chicagobulls/s… 18 hours ago
- Win the Maui Invitational. twitter.com/jackcooligan45… 2 days ago
- A throwback Father’s Day moment! @MattyFarr3 tracks down his Dad in the stands after the @MauiInv championship - an… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 days ago
- Another great day at Wrigley. twitter.com/cubs/status/10… 1 week ago
- Another look at our future practice/team room/administration/performance center - Rolfs Athletics Hall - coming lat… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- W. Basketball. Women's Basketball Nominated for Three ESPYS
- Track & Field. Irish Set To Compete At USA Track & Field Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Announce Incoming Class
- W. Basketball. Lili Thompson Drafted by Harlem Globetrotters
- Track & Field. Nuguse Wins 1500m at USATF Junior Outdoor Championships