Dec 3, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
This post was originally published on the Notre Dame Monogram Club blog.
When the Fighting Irish men’s basketball team takes the floor in Iowa City this evening (9:15 pm ET on ESPN2), there will be at least a couple Iowans with deep ties to Notre Dame.
Fran McCaffery, head coach of the 23rd-ranked Hawkeyes, served as an assistant under Digger Phelps and John MacLeod at Notre Dame from 1988-99. During that time, he helped recruit Martin Ingelsby (’01) and Harold Swanagan (’02), both of whom are current Irish staff members.
But perhaps it is McCaffery’s wife, the former Margaret Nowlin (’92), whose connection to the University is strongest.
The St. Paul, Minn. native was a four-time Monogram winner, three-year starter and 1,000-point scorer (she tallied 1,312, to be exact) for Irish head coach Muffet McGraw from 1988-92.
As a senior, she led the squad with 16.5 points and 8.7 rebounds per game and was named first-team all-Midwestern Collegiate Conference. During that season, Nowlin also earned MCC Tournament MVP honors. In the championship game, she scored 16 points and grabbed 12 rebounds, leading Notre Dame to an upset victory over Xavier and its first NCAA tournament appearance in program history.
After receiving her degree in government in 1992, Nowlin played one year professionally in France, and later returned to Notre Dame where she was an assistant on Coach McGraw’s staff during the 1995-96 season.
A quick look at Margaret’s student-athlete questionnaire in her Notre Dame media relations file uncovered a few fun facts. She was born in Kabwe, Zambia, if she could meet anyone from history she would choose Abraham Lincoln and Eleanor Roosevelt, and her favorite Muppet is Grover.
If she was starting a college basketball team, which player would she choose first? David Robinson, now a regular in Notre Dame Stadium where he cheers on his son, Corey, a freshman receiver for the Irish.
While it is probably safe to say Margaret will be wearing black and gold tonight, there’s no doubt that part of her will always be cheering for old Notre Dame.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- 8️⃣ points 🔟 rebounds 🔟 assists @JackieYoung3 became the 9th @WNBA player to get a rebounds/assists double-double… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 hours ago
- 🚫 🚫 🚫 🚫 🚫 🚫 Alumna @_Breezy_Briii hosted a block party and set a @PhoenixMercury rookie record with SIX!… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 7 hours ago
- 💍 ➡️ ☘️ When you win a sixth @accwbb title and head to back-to-back National Championship games... you need a ring… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 20 hours ago
- With ELEVEN 20-point games (and counting!) this season, it’s no surprise... ... alumna @Arike_O is the @WNBA Playe… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Just like old times. Happy we got to see this one 👇 play in Chicago on Friday. #GoIrish ☘️ #IrishintheWNBA https://t.co/oDU7VxZ3rf 4 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @Lakers: OFFICIAL: @D_Jay11 has signed with the #LakeShow on.nba.com/2Mf6mMH 1 week ago
- Oh Captain my Captain! twitter.com/Bucks/status/1… 1 week ago
- RT @GoIrish: We are ready for you @NDmbb and @NDHockey fans! Swing by Select-A-Seat tonight (Aug 8) to pick out your season tickets! ⏰ 7-… 1 week ago
- Mike Bennett was a consummate professional who dedicated his life to recording special Notre Dame moments - and alw… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 weeks ago
- ✌️ legendary programs ☝️ legendary University twitter.com/marchmadness/s… 2 weeks ago