Nov 15, 2013, 10:29 AM EDT
When the Sycamores of Indiana State take the Purcell Pavilion floor this Sunday against the Irish, it will not be your normal early-season contest. Coming off one of the better seasons in recent school history, the Sycamores look to continue the trend of knocking off high-level opponents.
Last year, the Sycamores played 10 games against NCAA Tournament bound teams, winning five of those contests. Aside from defeating regional two-seed Miami (Fla.), Indiana State also downed Final Four participant Wichita State, Creighton, Ole Miss and Iona.
JAN. 6, 2013 INDIANA STATE HIGHLIGHTS VS. CREIGHTON
Unlike the steady play of the Irish, the Sycamores tend to be an up-and-down team, playing to the level of their opponent on many occasions. They do have one constant throughout every game they play, Terre Haute’s (Ind.) own, Jake Odum.
Odum, a first-team all-Missouri Valley honoree, is just the 35th player in school history to reach the 1,000-point plateau. A strong, heady ball handler, Odum will be a great early-season challenge for Notre Dame guard Eric Atkins. Just don’t be surprised to see Pat Connaughton check Odum at times due to his larger frame and strong ability to keep guys out of the lane.
ODUM’S GAME-WINNING SHOT VS. MIAMI (FLA.)
Along with Odum, the Sycamores boast another talented backcourt player in Manny Arop. A transfer from Gonzaga, this will be Arop’s second game on the Purcell Pavilion court. When Gonzaga visited in 2010, Arop scored a then career-high 16 points in an Irish win. The key with Arop is to not let him get going, his confidence grows exponentially if he gets off to a hot start.
Let’s quickly turn to the Irish.
To come out of Sunday’s game with a win over Indiana State, the Irish need to do three things well – defensive rebounding, keep Odum out of the lane and limit their turnovers.
If the Irish are able to do those three things, then it will be tough for Notre Dame to come out of Sunday with a loss.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- 🏀 6 guaranteed games. ❄️ Air conditioned courts. 👀 Less than 10 spots remain for Team Camp! ✍🏽️ Sign up today 👉… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- 📢We're screaming from the rooftop of Purcell! Happy Administrative Professionals Day to the incredible Sharla Lewi… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 20 hours ago
- "I love opportunities like this, to interact with kids & be out in the community." 👏🏽Great job, @NatAchon ('14)! ☘️ https://t.co/Z70gSDwybB 1 day ago
- Happy Birthday to our senior manager, Becca Moore! ✌🏼👩🏽✌🏼 #ShesFeeling22 🎉🎁 https://t.co/oXpWDuzyar 1 day ago
- RT @nyliberty: .@LA_Cruisen gives an update on Day 2️⃣ of camp @ndwbb 👇 https://t.co/pT9k4LYtzd 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- ND Day is live! Our @BonzieColson will be live in the 9 pm ET hour tonight. twitter.com/ndmbb/status/8… 3 days ago
- Our goal = send local kids to our summer camps You can help Vote for us during @ProudtobeND 💵 ▶️ camp costs 🗳️ ▶️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 days ago
- RT @NDBusiness: When you see a fellow Domer on #NationalHighFiveDay... ☘️ @NDmbb https://t.co/ShUwC44df6 6 days ago
- A look back at one of our top moments from 2016-17 - a steal and drive seals The Legends Classic Championship over… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 days ago
- Only returning @accmbb player w/1,200+ pts, 600+ rebs. @BonzieColson's return puts Irish in contention in 2017-18… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago