Nov 8, 2013, 11:47 PM EDT
Rachel Murphy, the official 2013-14 women’s basketball beat writer for the In The Paint blog, is currently a sophomore at St. Mary’s College. Over the course of the year Rachel will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Rachel (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBloggers.
This past Wednesday, I caught up with Notre Dame Women’s basketball freshman Taya Reimer. The 6-3 forward, wearing number 12 for the Irish this year, took a couple minutes after practice to answer some questions.
When did you start playing basketball? When I was in first grade.
If you didn’t play basketball, what sport would you play? Volleyball, just because I’m really tall.
Who is your personal hero? Definitely my mom. We’re really close and she has sacrificed a lot for me to pursue my dreams.
Why did you choose Notre Dame? I chose ND because of the mix of great academics and athletics, the family sense about the program and just how everybody supports each other.
Who is the most entertaining teammate? Ariel Braker.
What is your favorite Disney Movie? Definitely Lion King.
What is your favorite food? Macaroni and cheese.
Besides basketball, do you have any hobbies? I like to go to the movies and I like to bowl.
What is your favorite TV show(s)? Scandal and Criminal Minds.
What is your dream vacation? Greece.
If you could be anyone for a day, who would you be? Oprah Winfrey.
If you could have a superpower, what would you want it to be? I would want to read minds.
What is your biggest fear? Heights.
Who is your celebrity crush? Quincy Miller (Denver Nuggets).
Chocolate or Vanilla? Chocolate.
Cats or Dogs? Both.
If you were an animal, what would you be? A Giraffe, that’s my favorite animal.
If a movie was made about your life, who would play you? Tia Mowry, just because everybody says we look alike.
As Taya headed to get in some extra shooting practice, coach Muffet McGraw sat down to discuss the freshman.
“Taya got off to a really good start,” said McGraw, referring to Reimer’s impressive 27-points in the exhibition game against California University of Pennsylvania.
“I don’t think we expected her to get 27 points,” McGraw said with a chuckle.
Reimer looked nothing like a freshman playing her first college game that night. Her dominant performance reflected that of a seasoned veteran, something her coach took notice of.
“She looked very poised,” McGraw remarked. “We’re really happy with her right now, and expect big things from her.”
Reimer’s aggressive game and physical defense were put on full display. Her challenge now is to prove herself a consistent player. Reimer aims to live up to her first game, something her coach clearly doesn’t doubt she can do.
“I think she will play like that all year,” said McGraw.
As someone who wants to see the Irish take it all the way this year, I hope that statement proves correct. One thing that’s obvious is that no matter what, Reimer will be a key asset for the Irish this year.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- One of the coolest postseason moments for Coach McGraw? The #NotreDame band send off! #McGrawHoF☘️ https://t.co/gPsYCybTbw 17 hours ago
- #McGrawHoF☘️ Series: 4 years -- 4 ACC tournament titles Relive the 2017 celebration #GoIrish https://t.co/kdXUYvzrqI 2 days ago
- Why did Danielle Patterson pick Notre Dame? Get to know the birthday girl in our latest 60 Second Drill! 👀… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- Join us in wishing Danielle Patterson a very Happy Birthday! Enjoy your day, @d_patterson33! 🎉🎂🎁 https://t.co/W3kvqp0aag 3 days ago
- Big night for the Irish☘️ in the WNBA, including a #NotreDame showdown out West between @kaymac_2123 & @jewellloyd. https://t.co/VoTONjGClb 3 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Update on @Martin_Geben w/Lithuanian Student Team in @FISUnetwork W over 🇮🇱, close L to 🇦🇺 Next is 🇲🇿 on Wednesday… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 hours ago
- Our @Martin_Geben prepping for @FISUnetwork in Taipei with @musukrepsinis 1st game Aug 20 vs Israel #SUTaipei2017 https://t.co/Yl7idcF7Gd 4 days ago
- With a heavy heart, we announce the passing of Irish legend Tom Hawkins. A trailblazer and true 'Notre Dame Man.'… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 days ago
- DYK? 🤔❓ @MattyFarr3 set the @NDmbb school record for 3FG% in ACC play last season? #Sharpshooter https://t.co/A1hJT9GuhR 6 days ago
- 🏅🔓 Achievement unlocked! @Martin_Geben takes out his first backboard in Taipei with Lithuanian Student Team. 🤞hope… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 days ago