Oct 25, 2013, 10:35 AM EDT
Rachel Murphy, the official 2013-14 woen’s basketball beat writer for the In The Paint blog, is currently a sophomore at St. Mary’s College. Over the course of the year Rachel will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Rachel (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBloggers.
After Wednesday’s practice, I had the chance to catch up with an up-and-coming name on the women’s basketball scene, freshman Lindsay Allen. Wearing number 15 for the Irish this year, the 5-7 guard took a break from her preparations to answer a few personal questions. After talking with Allen, I had the opportunity to talk to Coach McGraw about this outstanding freshman as well.
When did you start playing basketball? LA: When I was about 5 or 6.
If you didn’t play basketball, what sport would you play? LA: Either soccer or football.
Who is your personal hero? LA: My mom.
Why did you choose Notre Dame? LA: The tradition. It’s a great combo of academics and athletics.
Do you have any pre-game rituals? LA: I’ll have a couple of songs I listen to, ill choose them before the season.
What is your favorite Disney Movie? LA: Is Lion King a Disney movie? Then Lion King.
What is your favorite food? LA: Pizza
Besides basketball, do you have any hobbies? LA: Sleeping.
What is your favorite TV show? LA: I don’t watch a lot of TV, but probably SpongeBob.
What is your dream vacation? LA: Greece.
If you could be anyone for a day, who would you be? LA: The President.
If you could have a superpower, what would you want it to be? LA: To read minds.
What is your biggest fear? LA: Disappointing my family.
Who is your celebrity crush? LA: Drake.
Chocolate or Vanilla? LA: Chocolate.
Cats or Dogs? LA: Dogs.
What is something that nobody knows about you? LA: I don’t really have one.
As Lindsay headed for the locker room, her coach, the legendary Muffet McGraw offered her take on the freshman.
“She has great vision; sees the floor really well, and I think she’s just incredibly smart… for a freshman she’s so far advanced.”
Allen’s work ethic has impressed McGraw the most.
“You tell her something once and she does it, she rarely makes mental mistakes.”
Combine this work ethic with Allen’s razor sharp focus and you have a girl that is ready to make her mark on the season.
“I’m really happy with her,” McGraw remarked, “Where she is right now, where she’s going to be, she’s going to get better everyday because she wants to. She wants to be great.”
Further helping her prepare for the season is Notre Dame women’s basketball veteran Skylar Diggins. Diggins stopped by for a practice earlier in the week, offering guidance and advice for her successor.
“I think she learned a lot and Skylar helped her… she talked to her before and after and during the practice, to just really help her,” said McGraw.
Practicing against the seasoned veteran, and arguably most talented point guard in the nation right now, offered a challenge for Allen.
“I think for her to play against the legend (Diggins) that she has followed and watched, it was great for Lindsay, it was eye opening.”
So, look out for number 15 this upcoming women’s basketball season, Allen is a girl on a mission.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- That @JShepard32 basketball IQ... 📈 #IrishInTheWNBA #GoIrish twitter.com/minnesotalynx/… 5 hours ago
- "Winning is about having the whole team on the same page." Our coaching staff welcomed @BillWalton to the new home… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 9 hours ago
- Welcome the newest member of our family, Marta Sniezek. The fifth-year transfer from Stanford will be eligible to… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 11 hours ago
- “Ceiling breakers can become the new normal.” Coach @MuffetMcGraw presented a #Gracies award to the first female… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 13 hours ago
- RT @MuffetMcGraw: Out in California for the Gracie awards and stopped by LA sparks practice to see one of our 5 WNBA draftees. Always fun… 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- 1-0 in the Eastern Conference Finals with the @Bucks 8-1 in the @NBA Playoffs Putting up 7+ ppg and 7+ rpg in the p… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 days ago
- To all the Moms, Thanks for ... The daily support. The help with homework. The life lessons. The rides to practic… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- RT @FightingIrish: In 1904, former @NDFootball quarterback and coach Frank Hering was inspired to create a national Mother’s Day. This #Mo… 1 week ago
- *DAILY-ish PAT UPDATE* On the back of a 7-point, 11-rebound performance, @pconnaughton helps the @Bucks reach the… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 weeks ago
- RT @NDmbb: PLAYOFF PAT. A near double-double from @pconnaughton (9 points, 10 rebounds) helps push the @Bucks to the verge of the Eastern… 2 weeks ago