Oct 24, 2013, 3:46 PM EDT
Monday evening the Notre Dame Men’s Basketball team held an open practice along with a dinner afterwards for the team’s season ticket holders. This showcase allowed for the most faithful Irish fans to see how the team is performing as well as meet their favorite players after practice.
This event was a great community function as well as a good reminder to the players that the first exhibition game is this Monday against Indianapolis. The time has almost come for the Irish to return for another season of basketball at Purcell Pavilion and in five days, Notre Dame’s “Sixth Man” returns to the Purcell Pavilion and lives up to their nickname of the Leprechaun Legion.
Three. That is the number of losses Notre Dame has had in Purcell since the beginning of the 2011-2012 season. To say Notre Dame has home court advantage is an understatement. A large amount of these victories are because of the Legion and the energy they bring consistently to the games since being first established in 2002.
From reading newspapers during the oppositions introductions and crumpling up the paper and throwing it in the air when Notre Dame makes its first basket to orchestrating a “black-out” like they did in 2012 when the team handled 8th-ranked Kentucky 64-50, this student section is unlike any other in college basketball.
The Leprechaun Legion is a force to be reckoned with and as the team has gotten better over the years, so has the Legion. Because of the smaller size of the Pavilion compared to larger arenas at programs such as Indiana and Maryland, the loud student section is even louder with the Irish cheers resonating off the walls and into the ears of the opponent.
As a driving force for the team’s success at home, you better believe the Legion will be in Purcell for Notre Dame’s first season in the ACC. Last week the students came by the ticket office to pick up their season ticket booklet and 2013-2014 Legion t-shirt.
Although the basketball version of “The Shirt” does not receive as much publicity as the football one does, it greens out the student section, brings the students together and, most of all, is a free shirt. And as a college student, any extra shirt can help when the laundry piles get a little big throughout the year.
The great deal though, is the fact the booklets are only $65 for 18 home games, including matchups with teams like North Carolina, Clemson, Virginia and Pittsburgh. Although the Canisius, NC State and most importantly Duke (which is Notre Dame’s first ACC opponent of the season) games aren’t included in the student tickets because they are all over Christmas break, expect Legion members to still be in attendance.
The ticket office allowed students to buy tickets to these games for only $5 each if they purchased the student ticket booklet. Students took the ticket tellers up on this offer selling out all the tickets made available to them for the Duke game.
This 2013-2014 basketball season is almost upon us. The team is ready. The Legion is ready. The question is: Are you?
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- 👀 Searching for the best & brightest. 🤔 Who will be the next ☘️legend to take over a wall at Boo Williams?… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- 😍 Love to see our #NDFamily on the road! ☘️ 👀👏🏼 Megan Duffy ('06) & Michaela Mabrey ('16) -Miami OH- w/ Coach & Be… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: 🏀 Point Guard Podcast @ndwbb coach Niele Ivey talks @nyliberty's Lindsay Allen & Irish in the WNBA! LISTEN: https://… 2 days ago
- Happy Birthday to our biggest cheerleader & the nation's best leprechaun, Coach McGraw's husband, Matt! ☘️🎉👱🏼🎁🏀 https://t.co/DSMxQCXHr3 2 days ago
- 🏀 6 guaranteed games. ❄️ Air conditioned courts. 👀 Less than 10 spots remain for Team Camp! ✍🏽️ Sign up today 👉… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- ND Day is live! Our @BonzieColson will be live in the 9 pm ET hour tonight. twitter.com/ndmbb/status/8… 1 week ago
- Our goal = send local kids to our summer camps You can help Vote for us during @ProudtobeND 💵 ▶️ camp costs 🗳️ ▶️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago
- RT @NDBusiness: When you see a fellow Domer on #NationalHighFiveDay... ☘️ @NDmbb https://t.co/ShUwC44df6 1 week ago
- A look back at one of our top moments from 2016-17 - a steal and drive seals The Legends Classic Championship over… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago
- Only returning @accmbb player w/1,200+ pts, 600+ rebs. @BonzieColson's return puts Irish in contention in 2017-18… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago