Oct 24, 2013, 3:46 PM EDT
Monday evening the Notre Dame Men’s Basketball team held an open practice along with a dinner afterwards for the team’s season ticket holders. This showcase allowed for the most faithful Irish fans to see how the team is performing as well as meet their favorite players after practice.
This event was a great community function as well as a good reminder to the players that the first exhibition game is this Monday against Indianapolis. The time has almost come for the Irish to return for another season of basketball at Purcell Pavilion and in five days, Notre Dame’s “Sixth Man” returns to the Purcell Pavilion and lives up to their nickname of the Leprechaun Legion.
Three. That is the number of losses Notre Dame has had in Purcell since the beginning of the 2011-2012 season. To say Notre Dame has home court advantage is an understatement. A large amount of these victories are because of the Legion and the energy they bring consistently to the games since being first established in 2002.
From reading newspapers during the oppositions introductions and crumpling up the paper and throwing it in the air when Notre Dame makes its first basket to orchestrating a “black-out” like they did in 2012 when the team handled 8th-ranked Kentucky 64-50, this student section is unlike any other in college basketball.
The Leprechaun Legion is a force to be reckoned with and as the team has gotten better over the years, so has the Legion. Because of the smaller size of the Pavilion compared to larger arenas at programs such as Indiana and Maryland, the loud student section is even louder with the Irish cheers resonating off the walls and into the ears of the opponent.
As a driving force for the team’s success at home, you better believe the Legion will be in Purcell for Notre Dame’s first season in the ACC. Last week the students came by the ticket office to pick up their season ticket booklet and 2013-2014 Legion t-shirt.
Although the basketball version of “The Shirt” does not receive as much publicity as the football one does, it greens out the student section, brings the students together and, most of all, is a free shirt. And as a college student, any extra shirt can help when the laundry piles get a little big throughout the year.
The great deal though, is the fact the booklets are only $65 for 18 home games, including matchups with teams like North Carolina, Clemson, Virginia and Pittsburgh. Although the Canisius, NC State and most importantly Duke (which is Notre Dame’s first ACC opponent of the season) games aren’t included in the student tickets because they are all over Christmas break, expect Legion members to still be in attendance.
The ticket office allowed students to buy tickets to these games for only $5 each if they purchased the student ticket booklet. Students took the ticket tellers up on this offer selling out all the tickets made available to them for the Duke game.
This 2013-2014 basketball season is almost upon us. The team is ready. The Legion is ready. The question is: Are you?
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @ProudtobeND: http://t.co/Psr51T61ae 42 minutes ago
- Keep those votes for #ndwbb coming - your support can help us earn a percentage of #NDday $1 million Challenge Fund! notredameday.nd.edu/wbb 14 hours ago
- #NDday is underway! Show your support for #ndwbb and make a $10 donation to cast your votes for the Irish by going to notredameday.nd.edu/wbb 17 hours ago
- ND Day starts at 6:42 ET tonight! To learn more & support #NDWBB with vote for $1 million Challenge Fund, click here! notredameday.nd.edu/wbb 1 day ago
- Day 2 on the road for our coaching staff!!! Full day of great talent in VA and NC!🍀🍀🍀🍀 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- We present @Austin_Torres0 & @Bacolson35. Keep the @NDmbb votes coming on #NDDay! $10 for 5! NotreDameDay.ND.edu/mbb http://t.co/oXpB6cQYSH 29 minutes ago
- Want to see more highlight dunks from Z.A. (@ZachEliAuguste) this year? $10 5 votes #NDDay -> NotreDameDay.ND.edu/Mbb http://t.co/laLJwXu9h3 1 hour ago
- We are built on COMMUNITY. #NDDay is a way to help us reach out. 🍀$10 🍀5 Votes for @NDmbb 🍀 NotreDameDay.nd.edu/mbb http://t.co/TPE2eqCwOC 3 hours ago
- Have an extra $10? Head over to NotreDameDay.ND.edu/mbb & vote for us in your Starting 5. Please & Thank You #NDDay http://t.co/jDZXoO6deu 14 hours ago
- 🍀Want to see even more of @steph_en_'s hair? @MattyFarr3 does. VOTE 5 times for $10: NotreDameDay.ND.edu/mbb #NDDay http://t.co/a7oxJ3Oh5M 17 hours ago
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Nabs First Team All-ACC Honors
- M. Golf. Irish Finish 11th At 2015 ACC Championship
- Softball. #24 Irish Split Senior Day Series As Koerner, Wester Tie Program Records
- Baseball. Irish Fall In 11 Innings At Wake Forest Sunday Afternoon
- Baseball. Irish Fall To Demon Deacons, 4-2, In Saturday Matchup