Jul 30, 2013, 10:58 AM EDT
The University of Notre Dame men’s basketball team welcomes four freshman to the mix this upcoming season; Austin Torres, Steve Vasturia, V.J. Beachem and Demetrius Jackson. In addition to a sit down ‘getting to know’ video, each student-athlete took a few minutes to chat with me about their summer, coming to Notre Dame and some random thoughts they have. Beachem is the third of a four-part series that will look at each student individually, Torres’ was released last Tuesday followed by Vasturia’s on Thursday and Jackson this Thursday. Enjoy…
V.J. Beachem, a Los Angeles Lakers fanatic from from Fort Wayne, Ind., brings his game to Notre Dame after a successful career at New Haven just a few hours away from the University’s campus.
Although he was within two hours of Notre Dame by car, Beachem didn’t grow up a fan of the Fighting Irish, but always paid attention to the program.
“I didn’t really have a favorite college team growing up” said Beachem. “I remember watching some Notre Dame basketball games when I was younger. The team with Carleton Scott and Ben Hansbrough was one of the best teams we have had here in awhile. That team was really exciting and helped pick up my interest in Notre Dame.”
In certain parts of Indiana, Notre Dame is not considered the State of Indiana’s favorite University. Many say that is between Indiana University, Purdue University and Ball State University. But Beachem understands the importance of his role at ND.
“It’s a great feeling to be a part of Notre Dame” Beachem stated. “Some people don’t consider Notre Dame ‘Indiana’s school’, but it is one of the most prestigous schools in America. It’s a great feeling to be able to represent Fort Wayne up here in South Bend.”
Along the recruiting trail Beachem was targeted by a variety of programs with Michigan State and Notre Dame sticking out the most to him. Aside from his close relationship with Michigan State assistant coach Dane Fife, Beachem chose Coach Brey and the Irish.
“You don’t really find guys much better than Coach Brey” Beachem said. “He is going to push you both on and off the court and that’s is something my family and I were looking for.”
Coach Brey has coached in the ACC before and will again after Notre Dame declared they would begin play in the ACC in 2013-14. Needless to say, Beachem was excited when he heard. “Immediately I said, ‘Wow!’ Even after it settled in I was really excited to play in the ACC and really pumped to play against some of the teams like Duke and North Carolina that we will be playing against.”
BEACHEM HIGHLIGHT VIDEO
Many Notre Dame fans haven’t had the opportunity to see Beachem play during his time at New Haven or on his AAU squad, so what can we expect from the 6’8″ wing?
“Notre Dame fans say my game is molded after Ryan Ayres.” said Beachem. “Back home I hear I am like Kevin Durant because I am tall and long. Lately I’ve been hearing my game is like Paul George. I’m not nearly as good as I need to be defensively yet to be like Paul (George). But I am a really unselfish player who can knock down shots on the perimeter and has a good all-around game.”
Arriving at Notre Dame is always hard for any freshman, whether you are a student-athlete or a student. But you have to keep it in perspective and understand what is needed to accomplish your goals.
“I want to be the best player, student and friend I can be during my time at Notre Dame and I will do whatever it takes to reach my dreams” Beachem said.
What is Beachem looking forward to the most this season? “This one is easy, playing at the Garden (New York) or playing against Duke at home.”
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- ✔️ 2 @ndwbb All-Americans 🏆 1 will be @WNBA champion Finals Gm 1 - @NatAchon (IND) at @MsPeters14 (MIN) … 3p ET, ABC http://t.co/2kNlcZdSZ5 7 hours ago
- The work has already begun, but official practice starts on Tuesday! #weready 🍀🏀🍀 http://t.co/gkfqMGYOth 2 days ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: 1st/2nd rounds for upcoming season now set for March 19-22 … regionals March 26-29 … Final Four remains April 3 & 5 https… 3 days ago
- Great start to the morning! @MuffetMcGraw was the opening speaker at the South Bend Women's Leadership Conference! http://t.co/md0sIwwE0z 3 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏀2 @ndwbb Alums 🏆1 WNBA Title It's Devereaux Peters' Lynx vs. Natalie Achonwa's Fever in the WNBA Finals #Rockstars ht… 3 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- He's the pride of Ft Wayne, Indiana... Prepare for big things from VJ Beachem. ...he's just getting started. http://t.co/3Ba0ISB8BV 1 day ago
- RT @NDMikeBrey: Speaking at the 50th yr of Coach Wootten's coaches clinic. 1st coaches clinic ever established, what an honor! http://t.co/… 2 days ago
- Since he arrived here in 2000 he has given us his all on the court & on the radio. Show us your RINGS Torrian Jones! http://t.co/IZrYgkbwA4 3 days ago
- RT @franfraschilla: Is that you there, @Matt_Ryan04? RT @NDmbb: The work doesn't stop when no one's watching... #NotDoneYet http://t.co/Lt… 4 days ago
- Tuesday, Coach Brey took to Capitol Hill to lobby on behalf of the @AmericanCancer & meet with @SenDonnelly. http://t.co/cjxDjFEG4h 4 days ago