Jul 30, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
Before Tom Knight’s final season at Notre Dame begins this fall, he took a trip to Estonia as a member of the East Coast All-Stars for the Four Nations Cup.
“It was a great opportunity to travel overseas and see what shape my game was in” said Knight. “I played pretty well while over in Estonia and continued to get better in each passing game.”
Knight had the opportunity to play alongside Syracuse’s Rakeem Christmas, Louisville’s Russ Smith and West Virginia’s Eron Harris, to name a few.
“Getting the chance to suit up with some guys I’ve played against in (BIG EAST) league play was good” Knight stated. “The competition helps me see what I need to do during the off-season to better my game.”
Knight and the East Coast All-Stars had the opportunity to win the Four Nations Cup heading into the final game but fell in their last contest, eventually pushing them to the third-place slot based on a point-differential tiebreaker.
Not known to many, the international rules (FIBA) and the game are different than in the United States. Not only is the three-point line shorter than the NBA by a foot and the lane larger, you can also touch the ball the instant after it bounces off the room.
“The European rules and style of play was the biggest change for me in the Four Nations Cup” said Knight. “The multiple ball screens on each possession that you set on the offensive end or have to get through on the defensive side of the ball are tough. The passing from the European teams was amazing. They are just so good at moving the ball.”
Knight had the opportunity to meet a distant family member from his family’s homeland when he was over there as she traveled to Estonia to see him play.
“It was great getting to meet her in the motherland” Knight stated. “The opportunity to have her come and see me play was something I never thought would happen.”
Knight, who was named Notre Dame’s Most Improved Player last season, started the final 16 games of the 2012-13 season and appeared in 28 contests during the year. Knight averaged career bests of 8.3 points and 3.8 rebounds playing 17.5 minutes per game. He also shot 48.9 percent from the field as he connected on 64 of his 131 field goal attempts.
Tom Knight – Student. Athlete. Irish.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Sneak peek No. ✌️ of the championship season documentary being shot by @NDFIM 🎬 #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/SwDdphvdFJ 18 hours ago
- When you're crushing it 💪 in your community like @SkyDigg4, it’s easy to see why this former Irish took home the… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- ☘️ Bring your glow sticks ☘️ Wear your best lime green shirt ☘️ Come be apart of our 2018-2019 intro video that wi… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Sneak Peek: Day 1️⃣ in shooting a documentary on the championship season 🎬🎥 #GoIrish☘️ https://t.co/UKjFyjJMT9 1 day ago
- “The walking bucket,” @kaymac_2123 continued her scoring tear last night as she dropped 27 points!… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: We know who we're voting for! 👇 👀 @NDmbb #GoIrish twitter.com/marchmadness/s… 3 days ago
- RT @NDmbb: Little glimpse of our work out today. Great to see @PHubb_3 out there! Another day to get better... #RiseTogether https://t.co/j… 3 days ago
- Little glimpse of our work out today. Great to see @PHubb_3 out there! Another day to get better... #RiseTogether https://t.co/j4jzSSNqUN 4 days ago
- Our ✋ scored ‘just’ 10,396 career points. twitter.com/marchmadness/s… 4 days ago
- 🏀+📚=🎓 Two graduates, two academic honors. Liam Nelligan (returning for a 5th this year) and Matt Gregory earn… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 days ago
- W. Volleyball. Johnson Announces Volleyball Staff For Upcoming Season
- W. Rowing. O'Tighearnaigh Named Honorable Mention All-American
- Football. Irish Trio Named To Bednarik,Maxwell Watch Lists
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps