Jul 30, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
Before Tom Knight’s final season at Notre Dame begins this fall, he took a trip to Estonia as a member of the East Coast All-Stars for the Four Nations Cup.
“It was a great opportunity to travel overseas and see what shape my game was in” said Knight. “I played pretty well while over in Estonia and continued to get better in each passing game.”
Knight had the opportunity to play alongside Syracuse’s Rakeem Christmas, Louisville’s Russ Smith and West Virginia’s Eron Harris, to name a few.
“Getting the chance to suit up with some guys I’ve played against in (BIG EAST) league play was good” Knight stated. “The competition helps me see what I need to do during the off-season to better my game.”
Knight and the East Coast All-Stars had the opportunity to win the Four Nations Cup heading into the final game but fell in their last contest, eventually pushing them to the third-place slot based on a point-differential tiebreaker.
Not known to many, the international rules (FIBA) and the game are different than in the United States. Not only is the three-point line shorter than the NBA by a foot and the lane larger, you can also touch the ball the instant after it bounces off the room.
“The European rules and style of play was the biggest change for me in the Four Nations Cup” said Knight. “The multiple ball screens on each possession that you set on the offensive end or have to get through on the defensive side of the ball are tough. The passing from the European teams was amazing. They are just so good at moving the ball.”
Knight had the opportunity to meet a distant family member from his family’s homeland when he was over there as she traveled to Estonia to see him play.
“It was great getting to meet her in the motherland” Knight stated. “The opportunity to have her come and see me play was something I never thought would happen.”
Knight, who was named Notre Dame’s Most Improved Player last season, started the final 16 games of the 2012-13 season and appeared in 28 contests during the year. Knight averaged career bests of 8.3 points and 3.8 rebounds playing 17.5 minutes per game. He also shot 48.9 percent from the field as he connected on 64 of his 131 field goal attempts.
Tom Knight – Student. Athlete. Irish.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- We are proud to dedicate tonight's win to the memory of Fr. Ted. #ThankYouFrTed http://t.co/QEL8ehGDpq 12 hours ago
- #12 ND 71 - #16 'Ville 59 FINAL http://t.co/PWFdUNQBwU 12 hours ago
- #12 ND 42 - #16 UL 31 HALFTIME http://t.co/2op6C876Ff 13 hours ago
- #12 ND vs #16 UL HOW TO WATCH/LISTEN 📺:ESPN2 📻🔊: watchnd.tv/#!/games/18408… #ThankYouFrTed http://t.co/tckKvSQpZt 14 hours ago
- We get back on the court tonight with heavy hearts... #12 ND at #16 UL 7pm - ESPN2 http://t.co/YV1wbC95Im 1 day ago
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Pulls Away From Louisville, 71-59
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Head To Greensboro For ACC Championship
- W. Basketball. Loyd Named ACC Player of the Year, Turner Is ACC Freshman of the Year