Jul 25, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
The University of Notre Dame men’s basketball team welcomes four freshman to the mix this upcoming season; Austin Torres, Steve Vasturia, V.J. Beachem and Demetrius Jackson. In addition to a sit down ‘getting to know’ video, each student-athlete took a few minutes to chat with me about their summer, coming to Notre Dame and some random thoughts they have. Vasturia is the second of a four-part series that will look at each student individually, Torres’ was released this past Tuesday followed by Beachem and Jackson next Tuesday and Thursday, respectively. Enjoy…
Steve Vasturia, a 6’5″ combo guard hailing from Medford, N.J., is looking to make an instant impact on the Irish men’s basketball team in his first year on campus. Known as a scrappy, tough, unselfish player, Vasturia caught the eyes of coaching staffs across the college basketball landscape with his prep and AAU play.
“Prior to taking my visit to Notre Dame, Villanova, Georgetown and Virginia were recruiting me the hardest” said Vasturia. “But when I took my trip to Notre Dame it was pretty easy for me to know that I wanted to go there.”
Unlike the other members of the 2013 recruiting class, Vasturia is not an Indiana kid. He grew up adoring his fathers alma mater, PENN. When asked about his favorite players growing up, to no surprise, two Philly athletes were mentioned.
“I was always a big Allen Iverson fan when he played for the 76ers and I would have to add Brian Westbrook of the Philadelphia Eagles in there as well” Vasturia stated. He wasn’t trying to earn any brownie points with head men’s basketball coach either as Coach Brey and Westbrook both graduated from the same high school, DeMatha.
As Vasturia begins to look at the upcoming season, he sees himself playing a variety of different position and looks to use practice as a time to get better and watch others.
“I have always played a lot of different positions” said Vasturia. “We have great guards in the program right now, I try to watch them in practice as much as possible to help my game. I look forward to contributed in any way possible this season, both on the court and in the classroom.
VASTURIA HIGHLIGHT VIDEO
Growing up a Philadelphia fan and being recruited by fellow basketball royalty, Georgetown, Virginia and Villanova, it may make you wonder why Vasturia wanted to stray from his roots.
“It was simple on why I chose Notre Dame” Vasturia commented. “Being able to play at a high-level basketball school and get a top-notch education at the same time, that is pretty rare. It’s hard to pass that up.”
Many fans haven’t had the opportunity to see Vasturia play in his career aside from watching a few highlights here and there, so what should you expect from the youngster from Medford?
“I would describe myself as a tough, do anything to help my team win player” said Vasturia. “I’ll knock down some shots and play solid, unselfish basketball. I just want to win.”
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- “Notre Dame is such a magical place. You can really feel the tradition when you walk around this campus.” -… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Catch @MuffetMcGraw on @ESPNUonSiriusXM 📻 at 11:15 am ET https://t.co/c7adM4MRGv 2 days ago
- ICYMI: @Arike_O & @mmabrey1 took over ACC Media Day 💯 https://t.co/EeVxmWiRGE 2 days ago
- That’s a wrap on #ACCMediaDay Back to the Bend! 🛩 https://t.co/y5UEOOhReL 3 days ago
- #Buckets 🏀 #ACCMediaDay https://t.co/ag7cKoC3sU 3 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- W. Rowing. Championship Eight, Four Compete At Head Of The Charles
- W. Volleyball. Irish Stun Miami In Incredible 3-2 Comeback Victory
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In ITA Midwest Regional Quarterfinal
- Football. Replay: Trojans No Match for Physical Irish
- M. Golf. Irish to Compete in Final Fall Tournament