Jun 11, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
In an attempt to keep all of you Fighting Irish fans in the loop, one of my first orders of business as the new @NDSportsBlogger will be to provide you a morning recap of what stories you may have missed the previous few 24 hours.
On we’re off! (Or as the kids say, #RiseAndGrind)
1. Lets start in pop culture, if you happened to be in the UK (more specifically Manchester) you may have seen this first hand, but evidently international rockstar Jon Bon Jovi has added a piece of flair to his guitar. The flair that put the twittersphere in a tizzy last night? A Notre Dame leprechaun. Your move John Mellencamp.
2. After 765 wins, 12 coach of the year honors, 22 NCAA Championship appearances and 16 conference titles, longtime men’s tennis coach Bobby Bayliss took his final steps into retirement over the past few days. Assistant Athletics Director and Athletics Media Relations Director Bernadette Cafarelli summed up Coach Bayliss’ career rather nicely in this UND.com piece.
3. We will get to american football, but first, the men’s futbol squad put the finishing touches to their 2013 slate yesterday, releasing their schedule to the world. Once again Coach Bobby Clark’s student-athletes will face a handful of top-tier teams including defending NCAA Champion, Indiana, at home on October 2nd.
4. With football right around the corner (three months away), many articles are coming out talking about what to expect this upcoming season. ESPN’s Matt Fortuna once again brings the funk with his list of first-year players to watch, while Frank Vitovitch of UHND.com talks about the accomplishments of Tommy Rees and the expectations of Louis Nix and Stephon Tuitt for this upcoming year.
5. Growing up in the 90’s, whenever I hear of someone being invited to play with the U.S. national team for hockey I get goosebumps. Hendrix Hockey Apparel may not be their apparel supplier and ‘the Minnesota Miracle Man’ Gordon Bombay will not be their coach, but Thomas DiPauli and incoming freshman Vince Hinostroza don’t seem to mind as they have been invited to the U.S. National Junior Evaluation Camp to take place in Lake Placid, N.Y. in early August.
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
By Curt Rallo
By Lou Somogyi
By Sean Stires
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- 🏀 6 guaranteed games. ❄️ Air conditioned courts. 👀 Less than 10 spots remain for Team Camp! ✍🏽️ Sign up today 👉… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- 📢We're screaming from the rooftop of Purcell! Happy Administrative Professionals Day to the incredible Sharla Lewi… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 20 hours ago
- "I love opportunities like this, to interact with kids & be out in the community." 👏🏽Great job, @NatAchon ('14)! ☘️ https://t.co/Z70gSDwybB 1 day ago
- Happy Birthday to our senior manager, Becca Moore! ✌🏼👩🏽✌🏼 #ShesFeeling22 🎉🎁 https://t.co/oXpWDuzyar 1 day ago
- RT @nyliberty: .@LA_Cruisen gives an update on Day 2️⃣ of camp @ndwbb 👇 https://t.co/pT9k4LYtzd 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- ND Day is live! Our @BonzieColson will be live in the 9 pm ET hour tonight. twitter.com/ndmbb/status/8… 3 days ago
- Our goal = send local kids to our summer camps You can help Vote for us during @ProudtobeND 💵 ▶️ camp costs 🗳️ ▶️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 days ago
- RT @NDBusiness: When you see a fellow Domer on #NationalHighFiveDay... ☘️ @NDmbb https://t.co/ShUwC44df6 6 days ago
- A look back at one of our top moments from 2016-17 - a steal and drive seals The Legends Classic Championship over… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 days ago
- Only returning @accmbb player w/1,200+ pts, 600+ rebs. @BonzieColson's return puts Irish in contention in 2017-18… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago