Mar 31, 2013, 12:34 AM EDT
Notre Dame’s Women’s Basketball squad had to leave their comfort zone to punch their ticket to the regional finals, but they took that challenge in stride: efficiently dispatching 16 seed Tennessee-Martin and 9 seed hometown favorite Iowa earlier this week to earn the right to play in Sunday’s Sweet Sixteen here in Norfolk.
The Irish celebrated their win over Iowa late Tuesday with pizza delivered right to the bus and a quick plane ride back to South Bend. If their joy at advancing to the Sweet Sixteen appears somewhat tempered it’s likely because they’ve been here before. As Senior All-American Guard Skylar Diggins pointed out in Saturday’s media session: the Irish feel a distinct sense of urgency…but it’s to win the ultimate prize and that will require four more wins to achieve. Notre Dame is laser-focused on the road ahead.
…which brings us to Sunday’s game against the 12 seed Kansas Jayhawks, a team who finished below .500 in the Big 12, but who nonetheless upset 4 seed South Carolina to advance to the Sweet Sixteen. To put this upset into some context, Kansas is only the second 12 seed to ever advance to the Sweet Sixteen.
An interesting side-note to this contest: Skylar Diggins needs only 26 points to pass current assistant coach Beth Cunningham and become the all-time Notre Dame scoring leader.
Here’s what you need to know about Sunday’s matchup:
- Sunday’s game will be at Noon eastern (and by “noon” I actually mean “12:04 pm”)
- Television: ESPN will air the game. Dave O’Brien and Stephanie White will have the call. Jeannine Edwards will work the sidelines.
- On the global series of inter-connected tubes: ESPN 3 will have the live web stream, but only for subscribers of certain cable platforms so check in advance to confirm.
- In your ears only: Our very own Bob Nagle, legendary voice of Notre Dame Women’s Basketball, will have the radio call on Pulse FM (96.9/92.1)
- Venue: Ted Constant Center in Norfolk, Virginia
Getting to know Kansas
- Mascot: Jayhawks
- 2012-13 Record: 20-13 overall, 8-10 in the Big 12
- Kansas is 13-12 all-time in the NCAA Tournament, but 4-1 under the current coaching regime
- Kansas is the 12 seed in the Norfolk Region.
- Head Coach: Bonnie Henrickson who is in her ninth season with the Jayhawks
- How they got here: Kansas upset the 4 seed South Carolina Gamecocks 75-69
- The Irish and Jayhawks have never played each other
- Notre Dame Connection: the fatal plane crash that took the life of Knute Rockne happened near Bazaar, Kansas
Player to Watch
- Keep your eye on Senior Guard Angel Goodrich, a 5’4″ First-Team All-Big 12 selection and Academic All-American. Goodrich is the all-time leader at Kansas for steals and assists and averages 14.4 points and 7 assist per game.
YouTube Videos Tangentially Related to Kansas
Well this one is pretty straight forward.
Duh…Bo played for the Kansas City Royals. (This was before he played for the black and gray non-branded team in Tecmo Bowl).
You’d be forgiven for assuming from this clip that Kansas is sepia toned. We’re told it is in fact very vibrantly colored in real life.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- ND Day is live! Our @BonzieColson will be live in the 9 pm ET hour tonight. twitter.com/ndmbb/status/8… 3 days ago
- Our goal = send local kids to our summer camps You can help Vote for us during @ProudtobeND 💵 ▶️ camp costs 🗳️ ▶️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 days ago
- RT @NDBusiness: When you see a fellow Domer on #NationalHighFiveDay... ☘️ @NDmbb https://t.co/ShUwC44df6 6 days ago
- A look back at one of our top moments from 2016-17 - a steal and drive seals The Legends Classic Championship over… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 days ago
- Only returning @accmbb player w/1,200+ pts, 600+ rebs. @BonzieColson's return puts Irish in contention in 2017-18… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago