Mar 31, 2013, 12:34 AM EST
Notre Dame’s Women’s Basketball squad had to leave their comfort zone to punch their ticket to the regional finals, but they took that challenge in stride: efficiently dispatching 16 seed Tennessee-Martin and 9 seed hometown favorite Iowa earlier this week to earn the right to play in Sunday’s Sweet Sixteen here in Norfolk.
The Irish celebrated their win over Iowa late Tuesday with pizza delivered right to the bus and a quick plane ride back to South Bend. If their joy at advancing to the Sweet Sixteen appears somewhat tempered it’s likely because they’ve been here before. As Senior All-American Guard Skylar Diggins pointed out in Saturday’s media session: the Irish feel a distinct sense of urgency…but it’s to win the ultimate prize and that will require four more wins to achieve. Notre Dame is laser-focused on the road ahead.
…which brings us to Sunday’s game against the 12 seed Kansas Jayhawks, a team who finished below .500 in the Big 12, but who nonetheless upset 4 seed South Carolina to advance to the Sweet Sixteen. To put this upset into some context, Kansas is only the second 12 seed to ever advance to the Sweet Sixteen.
An interesting side-note to this contest: Skylar Diggins needs only 26 points to pass current assistant coach Beth Cunningham and become the all-time Notre Dame scoring leader.
Here’s what you need to know about Sunday’s matchup:
- Sunday’s game will be at Noon eastern (and by “noon” I actually mean “12:04 pm”)
- Television: ESPN will air the game. Dave O’Brien and Stephanie White will have the call. Jeannine Edwards will work the sidelines.
- On the global series of inter-connected tubes: ESPN 3 will have the live web stream, but only for subscribers of certain cable platforms so check in advance to confirm.
- In your ears only: Our very own Bob Nagle, legendary voice of Notre Dame Women’s Basketball, will have the radio call on Pulse FM (96.9/92.1)
- Venue: Ted Constant Center in Norfolk, Virginia
Getting to know Kansas
- Mascot: Jayhawks
- 2012-13 Record: 20-13 overall, 8-10 in the Big 12
- Kansas is 13-12 all-time in the NCAA Tournament, but 4-1 under the current coaching regime
- Kansas is the 12 seed in the Norfolk Region.
- Head Coach: Bonnie Henrickson who is in her ninth season with the Jayhawks
- How they got here: Kansas upset the 4 seed South Carolina Gamecocks 75-69
- The Irish and Jayhawks have never played each other
- Notre Dame Connection: the fatal plane crash that took the life of Knute Rockne happened near Bazaar, Kansas
Player to Watch
- Keep your eye on Senior Guard Angel Goodrich, a 5’4″ First-Team All-Big 12 selection and Academic All-American. Goodrich is the all-time leader at Kansas for steals and assists and averages 14.4 points and 7 assist per game.
YouTube Videos Tangentially Related to Kansas
Well this one is pretty straight forward.
Duh…Bo played for the Kansas City Royals. (This was before he played for the black and gray non-branded team in Tecmo Bowl).
You’d be forgiven for assuming from this clip that Kansas is sepia toned. We’re told it is in fact very vibrantly colored in real life.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Join us Monday, Nov. 20th! 👠 Muffet McGraw Radio Show, presented by @Tire_Rack 📍 @ORourkes_Pub 🎥 @watchND 📻… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 37 minutes ago
- ICYMI: @Arike_O named to Wooden Award Preseason 🔝3️⃣0️⃣! https://t.co/8uEvfD4rGf 1 hour ago
- Thanks to our fans who brought in donations for Puerto Rico! ☘️♥️ https://t.co/BKJriy5CAr 20 hours ago
- RT @ncaawbb: One of the first calls that Jessica Shepard made when she found out that she was granted immediate eligibility at @NDwbb was t… 1 day ago
- Stop 2️⃣ of the 7️⃣ game road swing Corvallis ✈️ on Sunday! https://t.co/nhPUQb7DnA 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Great to be 3-0 and heading to Maui... Check out the HIGHLIGHTS from our win over Chicago State. https://t.co/emjxf7n5gx 13 hours ago
- ND 105 | Chicago State 66 FINAL Led by a career-high 23 pts from @Tempppp12 Irish 3-0 and heading to 🏝Maui🏝 https://t.co/4MgkyaNOJO 15 hours ago
- Irish looking smooth so far on ‘Rock the Mock’ Night... https://t.co/sF4qRHTuNs 16 hours ago
- 🔒Protect Purcell🔒 ☘️ vs Chicago State 👉🏀👈 tip 7 pm ET 📺 espn.com/watch/_/id/319… 📻 und.com/collegesportsl… https://t.co/GetPRtPOwb 17 hours ago
- Ready to get back on the floor tonight! https://t.co/96y3c3dyQr 1 day ago
- M. Basketball. Irish Roll In 105-66 Blowout Victory Over Chicago State
- Softball. Irish Softball Unveils 2018 Schedule
- W. Basketball. The Muffet McGraw Radio Show, Presented by TireRack.com, Returns Nov. 20
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Wraps Up Home Schedule Against UNC And NC State
- General News. Alex Mansour: Coming Through in the Clutch