Mar 25, 2013, 1:10 AM EDT
There was a point in the first half of Notre Dame’s First Round NCAA game on Sunday when I started to get nervous. This was a 1 seed/16 seed matchup after all, and in the history of both the women’s and men’s tournament, only the 1998 Harvard Women’s squad has ever beaten a 1 seed.
Yet here were the Ohio Valley Conference champions, paced by the 23 first half points of the diminutive Heather Butler…and they weren’t going away. Even after falling to an early ten point deficit, they battled back and narrowed the gap to 38-31 with only a few minutes to play in the half.
And then the Irish went off, quickly scoring the next 11 to go into the half up 49-31. They didn’t look back.
The final score was a dominant 97-64 with four Irish in double figures in scoring led by Freshman Jewell Loyd’s career best 27 points. They made some solid defensive adjustments as well, holding Butler to only 14 second half points, and were outstanding on the glass out-rebounding the Skyhawks 49-14.
At the end of the day, the Irish’s biggest advantage was size, which i think is evident in the rebounding figures. Yes: Butler had what Coach Muffet McGraw characterized as “the best individual game anybody had against us all year long,” but it wasn’t enough. Not when the Irish defense so thoroughly neutralized the other four players on the court. Only one other Skyhawk managed double digits in scoring (Jasmine Newsome with 15).
It’s interesting to consider what it says about the Irish’s potential that they have the talent to allow a 37 point performance by one player and still win by 33. We’ll find out how they build on this solid first game on Tuesday night when the Irish, the only 1 seed not hosting a first round game, play the 9 seed Iowa Hawkeyes on their home court.
Post Game Press Conference
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT to help send Natalie Achonwa to the @WNBA All Star game! 👀👏🏽 @NatAchon @IndianaFever #IrishintheWNBA… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- Congrats Ace! twitter.com/canbball/statu… 14 hours ago
- Throwin' it down on a Thursday! Follow us on Instagram (@ndwbb) to see more BTS from our cooking class! ☘️👌🏽🍽 https://t.co/6SHPJQZZED 15 hours ago
- Cooking class! @GoIrishCoachO might be starting a fire in the background! 👀😳🔥 https://t.co/VwXNdJlha0 16 hours ago
- "Pat Summitt was women's basketball. She put us on the map, she gave us credibility."-@MuffetMcGraw Your legacy l… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 20 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- 🏋️ We have the best strength & cond. guy in the business. 💪 T Ro is a key factor in our success. 📰 More:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 hours ago
- ❌ No Photoshop 🎦 Live Action 😮@Still ridiculous, @JerianGrant #DunksDuLac https://t.co/42laqRJ59a 18 hours ago
- The ACC/Big Ten Challenge matchup dates have been released. 🤜🤛 2014-15 Rematch. 📍East Lansing. 📅@Nov 30 ✔️🗓️ Mar… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- A Notre Dame Man. #SagerStrong https://t.co/jpR7i6dEw1 2 days ago
- RT @NDmbbSID: Curious for the latest info on @ndmbb ? @NDMikeBrey was a guest on @ISDUpdate Power Hour today - irishsportsdaily.com/s/2955/brey-jo… 2 days ago
- W. Basketball. Rivalry Renewal in Big Ten/ACC Challenge
- Track & Field. Track & Field Lands Seven on All-ACC Academic Team
- Fencing. Kiefer Named Nominee For NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Named The ACC Men's Lacrosse Scholar Athlete Of The Year
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council