Mar 25, 2013, 1:10 AM EDT
There was a point in the first half of Notre Dame’s First Round NCAA game on Sunday when I started to get nervous. This was a 1 seed/16 seed matchup after all, and in the history of both the women’s and men’s tournament, only the 1998 Harvard Women’s squad has ever beaten a 1 seed.
Yet here were the Ohio Valley Conference champions, paced by the 23 first half points of the diminutive Heather Butler…and they weren’t going away. Even after falling to an early ten point deficit, they battled back and narrowed the gap to 38-31 with only a few minutes to play in the half.
And then the Irish went off, quickly scoring the next 11 to go into the half up 49-31. They didn’t look back.
The final score was a dominant 97-64 with four Irish in double figures in scoring led by Freshman Jewell Loyd’s career best 27 points. They made some solid defensive adjustments as well, holding Butler to only 14 second half points, and were outstanding on the glass out-rebounding the Skyhawks 49-14.
At the end of the day, the Irish’s biggest advantage was size, which i think is evident in the rebounding figures. Yes: Butler had what Coach Muffet McGraw characterized as “the best individual game anybody had against us all year long,” but it wasn’t enough. Not when the Irish defense so thoroughly neutralized the other four players on the court. Only one other Skyhawk managed double digits in scoring (Jasmine Newsome with 15).
It’s interesting to consider what it says about the Irish’s potential that they have the talent to allow a 37 point performance by one player and still win by 33. We’ll find out how they build on this solid first game on Tuesday night when the Irish, the only 1 seed not hosting a first round game, play the 9 seed Iowa Hawkeyes on their home court.
Post Game Press Conference
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- We are built on COMMUNITY. #NDDay is a way to help us reach out. 🍀$10 🍀5 Votes for @NDmbb 🍀 NotreDameDay.nd.edu/mbb http://t.co/TPE2eqCwOC 2 hours ago
- Have an extra $10? Head over to NotreDameDay.ND.edu/mbb & vote for us in your Starting 5. Please & Thank You #NDDay http://t.co/jDZXoO6deu 13 hours ago
- 🍀Want to see even more of @steph_en_'s hair? @MattyFarr3 does. VOTE 5 times for $10: NotreDameDay.ND.edu/mbb #NDDay http://t.co/a7oxJ3Oh5M 15 hours ago
- Hey, @theshirtND. We have a suggestion for this year's design. Like it? Vote for us: NotreDameDay.ND.edu/MBB #NDDay http://t.co/QJqyfQGzbD 18 hours ago
- Jealous of Steve's (@steph_en_) flow? He has an #NDDay message for you. DONATE: NotreDameDay.ND.edu/mbb #NDmbb5for10 http://t.co/mIzpXek64F 20 hours ago
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Nabs First Team All-ACC Honors
- M. Golf. Irish Finish 11th At 2015 ACC Championship
- Softball. #24 Irish Split Senior Day Series As Koerner, Wester Tie Program Records
- Baseball. Irish Fall In 11 Innings At Wake Forest Sunday Afternoon
- Baseball. Irish Fall To Demon Deacons, 4-2, In Saturday Matchup