Mar 25, 2013, 1:10 AM EDT
There was a point in the first half of Notre Dame’s First Round NCAA game on Sunday when I started to get nervous. This was a 1 seed/16 seed matchup after all, and in the history of both the women’s and men’s tournament, only the 1998 Harvard Women’s squad has ever beaten a 1 seed.
Yet here were the Ohio Valley Conference champions, paced by the 23 first half points of the diminutive Heather Butler…and they weren’t going away. Even after falling to an early ten point deficit, they battled back and narrowed the gap to 38-31 with only a few minutes to play in the half.
And then the Irish went off, quickly scoring the next 11 to go into the half up 49-31. They didn’t look back.
The final score was a dominant 97-64 with four Irish in double figures in scoring led by Freshman Jewell Loyd’s career best 27 points. They made some solid defensive adjustments as well, holding Butler to only 14 second half points, and were outstanding on the glass out-rebounding the Skyhawks 49-14.
At the end of the day, the Irish’s biggest advantage was size, which i think is evident in the rebounding figures. Yes: Butler had what Coach Muffet McGraw characterized as “the best individual game anybody had against us all year long,” but it wasn’t enough. Not when the Irish defense so thoroughly neutralized the other four players on the court. Only one other Skyhawk managed double digits in scoring (Jasmine Newsome with 15).
It’s interesting to consider what it says about the Irish’s potential that they have the talent to allow a 37 point performance by one player and still win by 33. We’ll find out how they build on this solid first game on Tuesday night when the Irish, the only 1 seed not hosting a first round game, play the 9 seed Iowa Hawkeyes on their home court.
Post Game Press Conference
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- 👌🏽 🙌🏽 @ErinnSB21 for 3️⃣❗️ ☘️🏀 https://t.co/aOOT28fR5v 1 day ago
- One of our dearest & oldest fans, we mourn the passing of Theresa Healey (104). Our thoughts and prayers are with h… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago
- Congrats, @LA_Cruisen! Senior Lindsay Allen named to the 2017 Nancy Lieberman Award Watch List. 👀👉🏽… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago
- Junior forward, #33 Kathryn Westbeld, checks in during fall break. Add us on snapchat (@ndwbb) to hear more from… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 4 days ago
- #FormationFridays 🍀🏀 https://t.co/btcCd4dQuj 4 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- 🔁 RETWEET for a chance to win this ND-inspired Cubs hat signed by Coach Brey! You don't want to wait another 71 ye… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 12 hours ago
- Flying in style to ACC Operation Basketball. First steps of the 2016-17 season. #Together https://t.co/0F50lMBSia 14 hours ago
- 🙌🍀 Good Luck to @PlanetPat5 tonight as his NBA season begins with the @trailblazers! 10 p.m. ET - Blazers vs.… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 15 hours ago
- 🏀🎧Getting his groove back... Matt Ryan putting up some extra shots after our early morning practice. https://t.co/o2NW6guNjW 21 hours ago
- 🚨🚨 Watch List Alert 🚨🚨 @BonzieColson one of 20 to keep an eye on for the Karl Malone Award (top PF in the nation). https://t.co/2CY5YgwlqA 4 days ago