Mar 24, 2013, 10:06 AM EDT
Happy Sunday morning to Irish fans everywhere.
As you all know, it’s game day here in the Hawkeye State where the Irish woke up to overcast skies and snow flurries (any concern we may have had about conditions outside the arena being unlike South Bend conditions can be put to rest).
Later this morning the team and coaches will head back to Carver-Hawkeye Arena for a second practice session in advance of today’s 5:00 pm eastern game with 16 seed UT Martin. In honor of our heroines’ dedication to preparation, we fans should also prepare for today’s game. As such here’s a quick primer:
Watching the Game:
- Today’s game is scheduled for a 5:00 pm eastern tip On TV: The game will be broadcast nationally on ESPN 2. Holly Rowe will be doing play-by-play.
- On the Information Super HIghway: ESPN 3 will have the live web stream, but only for subscribers of certain cable platforms so check in advance to confirm.
- In your ears only: The dulcet tones of Bob Nagle, legendary voice of Notre Dame Women’s Basketball can be streamed live over the internet at UND.com. The radio call is also available in the South Bend area on WHME Harvest 103.1
- Venue: Carver-Hawkeye Arena on the campus of the University of Iowa. Home of the Iowa Hawkeyes.
Getting to know UT Martin
- Mascot: Skyhawks
- Qualified for the NCAA Tournament with an 87-80 overtime win over Tennessee Tech in the Ohio Valley Conference Championship Game.
- …which is as good a time as any to point out that UT Martin is a member of the Ohio Valley Conference.
- The Skyhawks are coached by Kevin McMillan who is in his fourth season as head coach.
- The Irish and Skyhawks have never played each other.
Players to Watch
- Guards Heather Butler (22 ppg) and Jasmine Newsome (22.9 ppg) are both in the top ten in the country for scoring average. No other team has two top-ten scorers.
- Heather Butler is the all-time leading scorer for the Skyhawks and has over 2,000 points in her career.
- Irish head coach Muffet McGraw was asked about Butler and Newsome in Saturday’s press conference and responded: “Two of the best guards in the country…they can shoot the three, they can put it on the floor, they can attack the basket. They are as good of guards as we’ve seen all year long and it’s going to be a challenge for us trying to contain them.”
- The Skyhawks also have a 6’ 3” inside presence in forward Rickiesha Bryant who set the UT-Martin single season record for block ins 2012-13 with 85.
…and this Season?
- The Skyhawks finished the season 19-14 and 11-5 in the Ohio Valley Conference.
- At one point in the season they were 11-14 but finished the season on an 8 game winning streak.
- They played a murderer’s row of an out of conference schedule, facing #1 Baylor, #4 Stanford and #6 Louisville in one three game stretch in November, all losses.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- ND Day is live! Our @BonzieColson will be live in the 9 pm ET hour tonight. twitter.com/ndmbb/status/8… 4 days ago
- Our goal = send local kids to our summer camps You can help Vote for us during @ProudtobeND 💵 ▶️ camp costs 🗳️ ▶️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 days ago
- RT @NDBusiness: When you see a fellow Domer on #NationalHighFiveDay... ☘️ @NDmbb https://t.co/ShUwC44df6 1 week ago
- A look back at one of our top moments from 2016-17 - a steal and drive seals The Legends Classic Championship over… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago
- Only returning @accmbb player w/1,200+ pts, 600+ rebs. @BonzieColson's return puts Irish in contention in 2017-18… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago