Mar 21, 2013, 8:12 PM EDT
After arriving in Dayton on Wednesday evening, the #7 seed Notre Dame men’s basketball team jumped into practice for Iowa State on Thursday.
Following breakfast at the hotel, the Irish made a short trip to nearby Beavercreek High School, where a couple of Notre Dame alums made them feel right at home. Sara Anderson, and her husband Jon, are 2007 graduates who are both teachers at the school.
When Sara found out the Irish would be practicing at Beavercreek on Wednesday, she took the Notre Dame flags from her classroom down to the gym, and left a sign that read “Welcome to BHS. Go Irish, Beat Cyclones!”
After seeing the sign, we tracked down Sara, who was teaching English. Her class had just finished presentations for the day, so she and the students were able to swing by to watch a few minutes of the Irish’s practice.
Last week, the Andersons were able to get their hands on tickets to Friday’s games in Dayton. They had been crossing their fingers during Selection Sunday, hoping Notre Dame would end up in that part of the bracket. It all worked out, but that was just the beginning.
They were both pretty excited when they found out their Irish would be spending some time at the school this week, but never thought they would have a chance to meet head coach Mike Brey.
After finishing up at Beavercreek, the team headed back to the hotel for lunch, before the early evening open practice and media session at the University of Dayton Arena.
FIDM also caught up with Coach Brey and many of the players individually in the locker room.
The Irish will have two more shootarounds tomorrow morning, before taking on #10 seed Iowa State at approximately 9:45 pm ET on CBS. Check out our blog post from earlier in the week to learn more about the Cyclones.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- 📸 Lights, camera, action! A few interviews before practice! #GoIrish☘️ | #Sweet16 https://t.co/txGdrIbrpk 6 hours ago
- 🎤🎥 @JShepard32 asking @mmabrey1 all the hard hitting questions 🤷♀️ #ncaaW #NDSweet16 #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/OmZFy9fwoC 8 hours ago
- Irish are ☝️ of 4️⃣ teams to make 9 straight Sweet 16s ☘️☘️ ND 🆚 Texas A&M on Saturday at 4 pm ET on @espn https://t.co/VY9feS8iYt 12 hours ago
- We 👀 you, @NatAchon!! #IrishForever ☘🏆🏀 twitter.com/IndianaFever/s… 13 hours ago
- 2018 signee, Danielle Cosgrove, named Suffolk County Player of the Year! Congrats, @cosgro6! 🎉 #FutureLooksBright… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 15 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- With a @CollegeSLAM 3pt invite secured... @MattyFarr3 ready to take on the nation’s best shooters on national TV Ma… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- ☘️💛💙☘️ https://t.co/bXSccdR4YR 4 days ago
- DEFENSE name of the game thus far OFFENSE ready to roll in 2nd half Catch the rally on ESPN https://t.co/BxmcR590rs 4 days ago
- Ready to kick off a St. Patricks’s Day celebration with a W Starting 🖐 vs Penn State 👑 @rexpflueger 🕷 @MattyFarr3… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 days ago
- #DunksDuLac In green. On St. Patrick’s Day. #NotDoneYet ND vs PSU | Noon | Saturday | ESPN https://t.co/SVTuSKFSef 5 days ago
- Baseball. Irish Drop Home Opener to NIU
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Ready For Speedy NCAA Championship Week
- Track & Field. Nathan Richartz Named ACC Field Performer Of The Week
- Softball. Irish And Western Michigan Game Rescheduled For April 17
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Set To Host Michigan In Midweek Matchup