Mar 21, 2013, 8:12 PM EDT
After arriving in Dayton on Wednesday evening, the #7 seed Notre Dame men’s basketball team jumped into practice for Iowa State on Thursday.
Following breakfast at the hotel, the Irish made a short trip to nearby Beavercreek High School, where a couple of Notre Dame alums made them feel right at home. Sara Anderson, and her husband Jon, are 2007 graduates who are both teachers at the school.
When Sara found out the Irish would be practicing at Beavercreek on Wednesday, she took the Notre Dame flags from her classroom down to the gym, and left a sign that read “Welcome to BHS. Go Irish, Beat Cyclones!”
After seeing the sign, we tracked down Sara, who was teaching English. Her class had just finished presentations for the day, so she and the students were able to swing by to watch a few minutes of the Irish’s practice.
Last week, the Andersons were able to get their hands on tickets to Friday’s games in Dayton. They had been crossing their fingers during Selection Sunday, hoping Notre Dame would end up in that part of the bracket. It all worked out, but that was just the beginning.
They were both pretty excited when they found out their Irish would be spending some time at the school this week, but never thought they would have a chance to meet head coach Mike Brey.
After finishing up at Beavercreek, the team headed back to the hotel for lunch, before the early evening open practice and media session at the University of Dayton Arena.
FIDM also caught up with Coach Brey and many of the players individually in the locker room.
The Irish will have two more shootarounds tomorrow morning, before taking on #10 seed Iowa State at approximately 9:45 pm ET on CBS. Check out our blog post from earlier in the week to learn more about the Cyclones.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @la3irish: @ndwbb @mcable22 energy is something you can't buy so glad for all her energy. 3 hours ago
- Good luck to @NDFootball today in their Blue and Gold Spring game ! Catch them on @NBCSN at 12:30 pm EST 🍀🏈 5 hours ago
- RT @btorun111: @ndwbb @mcable22 very happy for you and your team... 5 hours ago
- RT @kezarkid: @ndwbb great news. Miss Hustle!! 18 hours ago
- RT @vannaman15: Best news I've heard all day is that @mcable22 is playing another season for @ndwbb! 🙌🏼🏀😍 18 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDSlo: The schedule may end but the teaching never stops...#development http://t.co/ZcTC66EFsj 20 hours ago
- LET'S GET SOME RUNS!!! Coaching isn't the only talent Coach Brey has. ⚾️🏀🍀 #TakeMeOutToTheBallGame #Throwback http://t.co/zsQuAAqbBC 1 day ago
- There are two certainties in life - No Ties and Taxes. http://t.co/M4xdJ5Z2Bz 3 days ago
- Coach Brey had a surprise for our guys at our banquet Can't wait to see that banner in the Purcell Pavilion Rafters! http://t.co/mb7bmYuh0c 4 days ago
- They took us to new heights due to their selfless play & leadership. Jerian & Pat are our MVPs. #NDmbbAwards http://t.co/f7yWLMNJ7y 4 days ago
- W. Lacrosse. IRISH EXTRA: Irish Show Their Grit Despite Loss Versus Northwestern
- Softball. Oh, What A Night!
- Track. Irish Turn In Day One At Georgia Tech, Virginia
- W. Golf. Irish In Sixth Place Midway Through ACC Women's Golf Championship
- Baseball. No. 25 Notre Dame Baseball Shuts Out NC State, 2-0, Friday Night