Mar 21, 2013, 8:12 PM EDT
After arriving in Dayton on Wednesday evening, the #7 seed Notre Dame men’s basketball team jumped into practice for Iowa State on Thursday.
Following breakfast at the hotel, the Irish made a short trip to nearby Beavercreek High School, where a couple of Notre Dame alums made them feel right at home. Sara Anderson, and her husband Jon, are 2007 graduates who are both teachers at the school.
When Sara found out the Irish would be practicing at Beavercreek on Wednesday, she took the Notre Dame flags from her classroom down to the gym, and left a sign that read “Welcome to BHS. Go Irish, Beat Cyclones!”
After seeing the sign, we tracked down Sara, who was teaching English. Her class had just finished presentations for the day, so she and the students were able to swing by to watch a few minutes of the Irish’s practice.
Last week, the Andersons were able to get their hands on tickets to Friday’s games in Dayton. They had been crossing their fingers during Selection Sunday, hoping Notre Dame would end up in that part of the bracket. It all worked out, but that was just the beginning.
They were both pretty excited when they found out their Irish would be spending some time at the school this week, but never thought they would have a chance to meet head coach Mike Brey.
After finishing up at Beavercreek, the team headed back to the hotel for lunch, before the early evening open practice and media session at the University of Dayton Arena.
FIDM also caught up with Coach Brey and many of the players individually in the locker room.
The Irish will have two more shootarounds tomorrow morning, before taking on #10 seed Iowa State at approximately 9:45 pm ET on CBS. Check out our blog post from earlier in the week to learn more about the Cyclones.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Staff outing to watch @IndianaFever practice and Ace! Great job @NatAchon! So proud of you! #IrishinWNBA http://t.co/dyx6iweBCX 1 day ago
- So excited for our @NDlacrosse team competing in the Final Four this weekend in Philly! Good luck guys! We will be watching! So proud🍀 1 day ago
- "Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it"🍀-Lou Holtz 1 day ago
- #TDT Throwing Dimes Tuesday! @LA_Cruisen doing what she does best! Led ND and ACC in assists (5.3) and a/to ratio http://t.co/r7nOA0eaah 2 days ago
- Wishing all of our ND alum good luck in @WNBA training camp!!! 🍀 3 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Throwback to when we "danced" our way to a Championship. #ACCchamps #tbt http://t.co/lGBrZb70NY 10 hours ago
- It's one thing to have expectations... ...it's another thing to surpass them. http://t.co/DPJ88regmx 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: The Class of 2015 provided us with so many great moments. What was your favorite? Did it include this @NDmbb duo? http… 4 days ago
- RT @JerianGrant: Yup http://t.co/lZczUVHse6 4 days ago
- RT @PlanetPat24: 🎶 ______ we made it!!!🎶 🎓 #AlumniStatus #WeAreND http://t.co/yjH8m6W2dY 4 days ago
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Extra: Another Notre Dame Men's Lax First -- Consecutive NCAA Final Fours
- M. Lacrosse. Seven Irish Players Cop USILA All-America Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Duo Falls In NCAA Doubles Championship
- Baseball. Wolfpack Pitching Shuts Down Irish In ACC Opener
- M. Tennis. Irish Trio Advance to Round of 16 At NCAA Singles & Doubles Championships