Mar 21, 2013, 8:12 PM EDT
After arriving in Dayton on Wednesday evening, the #7 seed Notre Dame men’s basketball team jumped into practice for Iowa State on Thursday.
Following breakfast at the hotel, the Irish made a short trip to nearby Beavercreek High School, where a couple of Notre Dame alums made them feel right at home. Sara Anderson, and her husband Jon, are 2007 graduates who are both teachers at the school.
When Sara found out the Irish would be practicing at Beavercreek on Wednesday, she took the Notre Dame flags from her classroom down to the gym, and left a sign that read “Welcome to BHS. Go Irish, Beat Cyclones!”
After seeing the sign, we tracked down Sara, who was teaching English. Her class had just finished presentations for the day, so she and the students were able to swing by to watch a few minutes of the Irish’s practice.
Last week, the Andersons were able to get their hands on tickets to Friday’s games in Dayton. They had been crossing their fingers during Selection Sunday, hoping Notre Dame would end up in that part of the bracket. It all worked out, but that was just the beginning.
They were both pretty excited when they found out their Irish would be spending some time at the school this week, but never thought they would have a chance to meet head coach Mike Brey.
After finishing up at Beavercreek, the team headed back to the hotel for lunch, before the early evening open practice and media session at the University of Dayton Arena.
FIDM also caught up with Coach Brey and many of the players individually in the locker room.
The Irish will have two more shootarounds tomorrow morning, before taking on #10 seed Iowa State at approximately 9:45 pm ET on CBS. Check out our blog post from earlier in the week to learn more about the Cyclones.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- 👀 Searching for the best & brightest. 🤔 Who will be the next ☘️legend to take over a wall at Boo Williams?… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- 😍 Love to see our #NDFamily on the road! ☘️ 👀👏🏼 Megan Duffy ('06) & Michaela Mabrey ('16) -Miami OH- w/ Coach & Be… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: 🏀 Point Guard Podcast @ndwbb coach Niele Ivey talks @nyliberty's Lindsay Allen & Irish in the WNBA! LISTEN: https://… 2 days ago
- Happy Birthday to our biggest cheerleader & the nation's best leprechaun, Coach McGraw's husband, Matt! ☘️🎉👱🏼🎁🏀 https://t.co/DSMxQCXHr3 2 days ago
- 🏀 6 guaranteed games. ❄️ Air conditioned courts. 👀 Less than 10 spots remain for Team Camp! ✍🏽️ Sign up today 👉… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- ND Day is live! Our @BonzieColson will be live in the 9 pm ET hour tonight. twitter.com/ndmbb/status/8… 1 week ago
- Our goal = send local kids to our summer camps You can help Vote for us during @ProudtobeND 💵 ▶️ camp costs 🗳️ ▶️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago
- RT @NDBusiness: When you see a fellow Domer on #NationalHighFiveDay... ☘️ @NDmbb https://t.co/ShUwC44df6 1 week ago
- A look back at one of our top moments from 2016-17 - a steal and drive seals The Legends Classic Championship over… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago
- Only returning @accmbb player w/1,200+ pts, 600+ rebs. @BonzieColson's return puts Irish in contention in 2017-18… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago