Mar 21, 2013, 8:12 PM EDT
After arriving in Dayton on Wednesday evening, the #7 seed Notre Dame men’s basketball team jumped into practice for Iowa State on Thursday.
Following breakfast at the hotel, the Irish made a short trip to nearby Beavercreek High School, where a couple of Notre Dame alums made them feel right at home. Sara Anderson, and her husband Jon, are 2007 graduates who are both teachers at the school.
When Sara found out the Irish would be practicing at Beavercreek on Wednesday, she took the Notre Dame flags from her classroom down to the gym, and left a sign that read “Welcome to BHS. Go Irish, Beat Cyclones!”
After seeing the sign, we tracked down Sara, who was teaching English. Her class had just finished presentations for the day, so she and the students were able to swing by to watch a few minutes of the Irish’s practice.
Last week, the Andersons were able to get their hands on tickets to Friday’s games in Dayton. They had been crossing their fingers during Selection Sunday, hoping Notre Dame would end up in that part of the bracket. It all worked out, but that was just the beginning.
They were both pretty excited when they found out their Irish would be spending some time at the school this week, but never thought they would have a chance to meet head coach Mike Brey.
After finishing up at Beavercreek, the team headed back to the hotel for lunch, before the early evening open practice and media session at the University of Dayton Arena.
FIDM also caught up with Coach Brey and many of the players individually in the locker room.
The Irish will have two more shootarounds tomorrow morning, before taking on #10 seed Iowa State at approximately 9:45 pm ET on CBS. Check out our blog post from earlier in the week to learn more about the Cyclones.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT to help send Natalie Achonwa to the @WNBA All Star game! 👀👏🏽 @NatAchon @IndianaFever #IrishintheWNBA… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 hours ago
- Congrats Ace! twitter.com/canbball/statu… 14 hours ago
- Throwin' it down on a Thursday! Follow us on Instagram (@ndwbb) to see more BTS from our cooking class! ☘️👌🏽🍽 https://t.co/6SHPJQZZED 15 hours ago
- Cooking class! @GoIrishCoachO might be starting a fire in the background! 👀😳🔥 https://t.co/VwXNdJlha0 16 hours ago
- "Pat Summitt was women's basketball. She put us on the map, she gave us credibility."-@MuffetMcGraw Your legacy l… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 20 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- 🏋️ We have the best strength & cond. guy in the business. 💪 T Ro is a key factor in our success. 📰 More:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 hours ago
- ❌ No Photoshop 🎦 Live Action 😮@Still ridiculous, @JerianGrant #DunksDuLac https://t.co/42laqRJ59a 18 hours ago
- The ACC/Big Ten Challenge matchup dates have been released. 🤜🤛 2014-15 Rematch. 📍East Lansing. 📅@Nov 30 ✔️🗓️ Mar… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- A Notre Dame Man. #SagerStrong https://t.co/jpR7i6dEw1 2 days ago
- RT @NDmbbSID: Curious for the latest info on @ndmbb ? @NDMikeBrey was a guest on @ISDUpdate Power Hour today - irishsportsdaily.com/s/2955/brey-jo… 2 days ago
- W. Basketball. Rivalry Renewal in Big Ten/ACC Challenge
- Track & Field. Track & Field Lands Seven on All-ACC Academic Team
- Fencing. Kiefer Named Nominee For NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Named The ACC Men's Lacrosse Scholar Athlete Of The Year
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council