Mar 21, 2013, 8:12 PM EDT
After arriving in Dayton on Wednesday evening, the #7 seed Notre Dame men’s basketball team jumped into practice for Iowa State on Thursday.
Following breakfast at the hotel, the Irish made a short trip to nearby Beavercreek High School, where a couple of Notre Dame alums made them feel right at home. Sara Anderson, and her husband Jon, are 2007 graduates who are both teachers at the school.
When Sara found out the Irish would be practicing at Beavercreek on Wednesday, she took the Notre Dame flags from her classroom down to the gym, and left a sign that read “Welcome to BHS. Go Irish, Beat Cyclones!”
After seeing the sign, we tracked down Sara, who was teaching English. Her class had just finished presentations for the day, so she and the students were able to swing by to watch a few minutes of the Irish’s practice.
Last week, the Andersons were able to get their hands on tickets to Friday’s games in Dayton. They had been crossing their fingers during Selection Sunday, hoping Notre Dame would end up in that part of the bracket. It all worked out, but that was just the beginning.
They were both pretty excited when they found out their Irish would be spending some time at the school this week, but never thought they would have a chance to meet head coach Mike Brey.
After finishing up at Beavercreek, the team headed back to the hotel for lunch, before the early evening open practice and media session at the University of Dayton Arena.
FIDM also caught up with Coach Brey and many of the players individually in the locker room.
The Irish will have two more shootarounds tomorrow morning, before taking on #10 seed Iowa State at approximately 9:45 pm ET on CBS. Check out our blog post from earlier in the week to learn more about the Cyclones.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- It's about that time! @SportsCenter is here and will be reporting live from campus! #letsGoIrish🍀 http://t.co/YfUYrKKrK6 7 hours ago
- Great article by @RalloIrishExtra on Irish Development Plan for @ndwbb. #40yeardecision und.com/sports/w-baskb… 1 day ago
- “I hope recruits are paying attention to the number of players Notre Dame is sending to the WNBA” -- @IndianaFever head coach @swhitej2 1 day ago
- One of the favorite parts of @ndwbb players being back on campus is all of the office visits! http://t.co/C3KExQ3bDi 2 days ago
- Excited to officially communicate with the 2017 class tmrw🍀🍀🍀🍀 #Sept.1 #HereCometheIrish📱📬✉️☎️ http://t.co/oGbyTAExou 3 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Saucy Pass. Sick Dunk. Can you imagine if @JerianGrant & Rex (@rexpflueger_1) played together? YES. #DunksDuLac http://t.co/Wo4E6wh9Gi 21 hours ago
- RT @PlanetPat5: In honor of headin' back to ND this weekend.. 🍀😈 #tbt http://t.co/ewqThcpAHk 1 day ago
- The time Coach Brey spends giving back is unbelievable @CoachesvsCancer, ♥️AHA, @TheVFoundation & the list goes on! twitter.com/ndmikebrey/sta… 1 day ago
- HOT OFF THE PRESS! When will you see the next generation of Irish student-athletes? Check out our 2015-16 schedule. http://t.co/I8AEdfph8b 2 days ago
- 🏀ZACH AUGUSTE: Cover Model Z.A. will be on @sportingnews regional cover for Hoops Preview Edition. http://t.co/68HAf4NPJB 4 days ago