Mar 18, 2013, 2:36 PM EDT
As we found out yesterday, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team earned a #7 seed in the West Region of this year’s NCAA tournament, and will head to Dayton, Ohio later this week to take on #10 seed Iowa State (Friday, Mar. 22 at 9:45 pm ET).
The programs have only met once before, back on Dec. 3, 1979 at the Joyce Center. Notre Dame won, 87-77. On the team’s Facebook page, Iowa State posted the handwritten box score from that game, where Tracy Jackson led the Irish with 20 points.
Here’s a closer look at Notre Dame’s opponent before the tournament begins:
- Mascot: Cyclones
- Colors: Cardinal and gold
- Conference: Big 12
- Record: 22-11 (at-large bid)
- Coach: Fred Hoiberg (3rd season, 61-38 record)
- Best wins in 2012-13: vs. #11 Kansas State (73-67), vs. #13 Oklahoma State (87-76)
- Home arena: Hilton Coliseum (capacity: 14,356)
- Best players: Will Clyburn, Sr., G (15.0 PPG), Tyrus McGee, Sr., G (13.2 PPG), Melvin Ejim, Jr., F (11.2 PPG, 9.3 RPG)
- NCAA tournament history: Second straight appearance, 15th overall
- Deepest tournament runs: Final Four – 1944, Elite Eight – 2000
Located in Ames, Iowa, ISU – or the Iowa State University of Science and Technology – was founded in 1858. There are approximately 25,500 students taking undergraduate courses, with another 5,500 enrolled in graduate and professional programs.
Head coach Fred Hoiberg is an Ames native, and starred for his hometown Cyclones in the early 1990’s. He averaged 15.8 points per game during his career and is the third leading scorer (1,993 points) in program history. Hoiberg’s popularity in Ames earned him the nickname “The Mayor.” He received several write-in votes during the city’s 1993 mayoral election, and had his #32 jersey retired in 1997.
Though the Cyclones lost 11 games this season, they are ranked fourth nationally in scoring average at 79.6 points per game. Maybe it should come as no surprise, then, that they are first in the country in 3-pointers per game (9.8) and total 3-pointers made (325).
On two occasions, Iowa State took South Region #1 seed Kansas to overtime. Hoiberg’s squad lost to the eventual conference champion Jayhawks in both games, but proved it can compete with some of the nation’s best.
Find out much more on Notre Dame’s opponent in their game notes on Cyclones.com. Stay tuned as Fighting Irish Digital Media heads on the road with the Irish later this week.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Thank you to those who made the ultimate sacrifice & those who continue to protect and serve. God Bless America 🇺🇸 https://t.co/A9P4KIFqRD 16 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: DID YOU KNOW? Over the past 5 seasons, @ndwbb has won 56 of its 58 regular-season road games. #NDFacts https://t.co/rS… 1 day ago
- On Indy 500 Sunday, #IrishintheWNBA has 2 Indiana Fever players in action, plus a certain Indiana Miss Basketball! https://t.co/x7iCVxIDVb 1 day ago
- Splash Brothers weren't only ones lighting it up last night, right Jewell? #IrishintheWNBA wnba.com/game/20160528/… https://t.co/hhBOFe4Tag 1 day ago
- #IrishintheWNBA rolls on tonight with All-American & 2015 espnW National Player of the Year Jewell Loyd in action! https://t.co/EK3sern1Gn 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: RUST LIGHTS THE LAMP! 🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨 @NDHockey's Bryan Rust scores the first goal of #StanleyCup Final for the @Penguins. htt… 8 hours ago
- To those who gave us their "last full measure of devotion" - we are thankful & blessed each and every day. https://t.co/pkqwisPpeo 15 hours ago
- A Sunday wouldn't be complete without a trick shot from one of our guys... REX FROM THE STANDS!! 👀@rexpflueger_1 https://t.co/K78A5Uvoix 1 day ago
- SATURDAY SWAT. Presented by VJ Beachem. 👀@VjBeachem https://t.co/mOxMfliK1Q 2 days ago
- RT @bhans23: Bigtime congrats to @MIND2424 on being named head coach at Delaware! Was lucky to have him as a Coach during my playing days a… 3 days ago
- M. Tennis. Irish Run Ends In NCAA Doubles Semifinal
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Landis Repeats as USILA's Top Defensive Player
- Track. Barber and 4x400m Relay Punch Tickets to NCAA Championship
- M. Tennis. Lawson, Monaghan Punch Ticket To NCAA Semifinal
- M. Lacrosse. Landis, Perkovic Pace Notre Dame on USILA All-America Squad