Mar 18, 2013, 2:36 PM EDT
As we found out yesterday, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team earned a #7 seed in the West Region of this year’s NCAA tournament, and will head to Dayton, Ohio later this week to take on #10 seed Iowa State (Friday, Mar. 22 at 9:45 pm ET).
The programs have only met once before, back on Dec. 3, 1979 at the Joyce Center. Notre Dame won, 87-77. On the team’s Facebook page, Iowa State posted the handwritten box score from that game, where Tracy Jackson led the Irish with 20 points.
Here’s a closer look at Notre Dame’s opponent before the tournament begins:
- Mascot: Cyclones
- Colors: Cardinal and gold
- Conference: Big 12
- Record: 22-11 (at-large bid)
- Coach: Fred Hoiberg (3rd season, 61-38 record)
- Best wins in 2012-13: vs. #11 Kansas State (73-67), vs. #13 Oklahoma State (87-76)
- Home arena: Hilton Coliseum (capacity: 14,356)
- Best players: Will Clyburn, Sr., G (15.0 PPG), Tyrus McGee, Sr., G (13.2 PPG), Melvin Ejim, Jr., F (11.2 PPG, 9.3 RPG)
- NCAA tournament history: Second straight appearance, 15th overall
- Deepest tournament runs: Final Four – 1944, Elite Eight – 2000
Located in Ames, Iowa, ISU – or the Iowa State University of Science and Technology – was founded in 1858. There are approximately 25,500 students taking undergraduate courses, with another 5,500 enrolled in graduate and professional programs.
Head coach Fred Hoiberg is an Ames native, and starred for his hometown Cyclones in the early 1990’s. He averaged 15.8 points per game during his career and is the third leading scorer (1,993 points) in program history. Hoiberg’s popularity in Ames earned him the nickname “The Mayor.” He received several write-in votes during the city’s 1993 mayoral election, and had his #32 jersey retired in 1997.
Though the Cyclones lost 11 games this season, they are ranked fourth nationally in scoring average at 79.6 points per game. Maybe it should come as no surprise, then, that they are first in the country in 3-pointers per game (9.8) and total 3-pointers made (325).
On two occasions, Iowa State took South Region #1 seed Kansas to overtime. Hoiberg’s squad lost to the eventual conference champion Jayhawks in both games, but proved it can compete with some of the nation’s best.
Find out much more on Notre Dame’s opponent in their game notes on Cyclones.com. Stay tuned as Fighting Irish Digital Media heads on the road with the Irish later this week.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- 8️⃣ points 🔟 rebounds 🔟 assists @JackieYoung3 became the 9th @WNBA player to get a rebounds/assists double-double… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 hours ago
- 🚫 🚫 🚫 🚫 🚫 🚫 Alumna @_Breezy_Briii hosted a block party and set a @PhoenixMercury rookie record with SIX!… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 hours ago
- 💍 ➡️ ☘️ When you win a sixth @accwbb title and head to back-to-back National Championship games... you need a ring… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 19 hours ago
- With ELEVEN 20-point games (and counting!) this season, it’s no surprise... ... alumna @Arike_O is the @WNBA Playe… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Just like old times. Happy we got to see this one 👇 play in Chicago on Friday. #GoIrish ☘️ #IrishintheWNBA https://t.co/oDU7VxZ3rf 4 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @Lakers: OFFICIAL: @D_Jay11 has signed with the #LakeShow on.nba.com/2Mf6mMH 1 week ago
- Oh Captain my Captain! twitter.com/Bucks/status/1… 1 week ago
- RT @GoIrish: We are ready for you @NDmbb and @NDHockey fans! Swing by Select-A-Seat tonight (Aug 8) to pick out your season tickets! ⏰ 7-… 1 week ago
- Mike Bennett was a consummate professional who dedicated his life to recording special Notre Dame moments - and alw… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 weeks ago
- ✌️ legendary programs ☝️ legendary University twitter.com/marchmadness/s… 2 weeks ago