Mar 18, 2013, 2:36 PM EDT
As we found out yesterday, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team earned a #7 seed in the West Region of this year’s NCAA tournament, and will head to Dayton, Ohio later this week to take on #10 seed Iowa State (Friday, Mar. 22 at 9:45 pm ET).
The programs have only met once before, back on Dec. 3, 1979 at the Joyce Center. Notre Dame won, 87-77. On the team’s Facebook page, Iowa State posted the handwritten box score from that game, where Tracy Jackson led the Irish with 20 points.
Here’s a closer look at Notre Dame’s opponent before the tournament begins:
- Mascot: Cyclones
- Colors: Cardinal and gold
- Conference: Big 12
- Record: 22-11 (at-large bid)
- Coach: Fred Hoiberg (3rd season, 61-38 record)
- Best wins in 2012-13: vs. #11 Kansas State (73-67), vs. #13 Oklahoma State (87-76)
- Home arena: Hilton Coliseum (capacity: 14,356)
- Best players: Will Clyburn, Sr., G (15.0 PPG), Tyrus McGee, Sr., G (13.2 PPG), Melvin Ejim, Jr., F (11.2 PPG, 9.3 RPG)
- NCAA tournament history: Second straight appearance, 15th overall
- Deepest tournament runs: Final Four – 1944, Elite Eight – 2000
Located in Ames, Iowa, ISU – or the Iowa State University of Science and Technology – was founded in 1858. There are approximately 25,500 students taking undergraduate courses, with another 5,500 enrolled in graduate and professional programs.
Head coach Fred Hoiberg is an Ames native, and starred for his hometown Cyclones in the early 1990’s. He averaged 15.8 points per game during his career and is the third leading scorer (1,993 points) in program history. Hoiberg’s popularity in Ames earned him the nickname “The Mayor.” He received several write-in votes during the city’s 1993 mayoral election, and had his #32 jersey retired in 1997.
Though the Cyclones lost 11 games this season, they are ranked fourth nationally in scoring average at 79.6 points per game. Maybe it should come as no surprise, then, that they are first in the country in 3-pointers per game (9.8) and total 3-pointers made (325).
On two occasions, Iowa State took South Region #1 seed Kansas to overtime. Hoiberg’s squad lost to the eventual conference champion Jayhawks in both games, but proved it can compete with some of the nation’s best.
Find out much more on Notre Dame’s opponent in their game notes on Cyclones.com. Stay tuned as Fighting Irish Digital Media heads on the road with the Irish later this week.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Day 2 on the road for our coaching staff!!! Full day of great talent in VA and NC!🍀🍀🍀🍀 16 hours ago
- #NDWBB fans … check out this video to learn how to contribute and support Women's Basketball on #NDDay, April 26-27 youtube.com/watch?v=KPM03t… 1 day ago
- Hey #NDWBB fans … make sure to take a second and vote for Women's Basketball on Notre Dame Day, April 26 #NDday. goo.gl/LCUfTp 2 days ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: Get out your sunscreen, @ndwbb fans … Irish are headed to Bahamas next Thanksgiving (Nov. 27-28) for @JunkanooJam: http:/… 2 days ago
- Safe travels to our coaching staff hitting the recruiting trails today and tmrw! Looking forward to watching some potential IRISH stars🍀⭐️ 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Our FUTURE with a LEGEND. Incoming freshmen Matt Ryan, Rex Pflueger & Elijah Burns w/Hoops Legend Howard Garfinkel. http://t.co/zHGzWVnDpF 14 hours ago
- If Matt(@MattyFarr3) makes this, you have to vote 5 times for us for $10 SPLASH: notredameday.nd.edu/mbb #NDmbb5for10 http://t.co/kAV60DXYco 1 day ago
- Our rising Freshmen are officially on the BOARD! We can't wait to get to work with you on the court. 🍀🏀🍀 http://t.co/XGd9Ldj5xj 2 days ago
- We put up some weight today with our Strength Coach, T-Ro. 💪🍀🏀 Because this picture wouldn't be as cool without it. http://t.co/gttd3LXn9Y 3 days ago
- Next season can't come soon enough ... #BackToWork http://t.co/unV4cS5UoQ 4 days ago