Mar 17, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT
And so the field of 68 is set.
The Notre Dame men’s basketball team drew the #7 seed in the West Region, and will be headed to nearby Dayton, Ohio to meet #10 seed Iowa State on Friday (tip-off time approximately 9:45 pm ET).
After finishing the regular season and BIG EAST tournament with a 25-9 record, the Irish were essentially a look for an at-large selection. Still, they had to wait around for nearly an hour on Sunday night, as the West Region was the final brackets to be unveiled.
Personally, this draw came as a bit of a surprise. I thought the Irish had done enough to earn a #6 seed, with some “bracketologists” even projecting them as a #5. What’s even more surprising to me is that Marquette checked in as a #3 seed, even after Notre Dame knocked the Golden Eagles out during their first BIG EAST tournament game. It really makes you wonder if that quarterfinal win had any effect on seeding.
Should the Irish beat the Cyclones on Friday, they would face the winner of #2 Ohio State vs. #15 Iona, where you would expect a very scarlet and gray crowd, just over an hour from the Buckeyes’ campus in Columbus.
We’ll have more coming in the days leading up to the beginning of the tournament, for now, here’s some immediate reaction from head coach Mike Brey, as well as players Jack Cooley, Eric Atkins, Pat Connaughton and Jerian Grant.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘Leading from the start... 9 days into @WNBA season, ND's Kayla McBride ranks 2nd overall in scoring (22 pts/game). htt… 15 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: Here's a small taste of why KMac is tied for 2nd in the @WNBA in scoring this year at 22.0 ppg! #IrishintheWNBA https://t… 18 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: #IrishintheWNBA putting up big numbers this year - @jewellloyd career-high 30 on Friday, 29 for KMac last night! https://… 1 day ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: 📌 Sunday night special for #IrishintheWNBA! 🍀 Jewell Loyd/Seattle Storm vs. Minnesota ⏰ 7 pm ET 📺 WNBA League Pass https… 1 day ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: Another huge scoring night for #IrishintheWNBA as Kayla McBride drops 29 pts in San Antonio's 82-77 loss at Dallas https:… 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- FROM THE VAULT: Coach Brey has trouble seeing after his hat is hit when the squad hugs him after ACC Title win. https://t.co/gRvugLY9XB 12 hours ago
- RT @TheMattPetersen: .@NDmbb product Demetrius Jackson going through shooting drills at a @Suns pre-draft workout #SunsDraft https://t.co/C… 16 hours ago
- Monday coming at you like ... (FYI: No Foul Was Called) https://t.co/DqnRNyVssZ 1 day ago
- ⚡️FRIDAY THROWDOWN DJ showed off his 43.5" vert in the NCAA tourney en route to another Elite 8 run. 👀@D_Jay24 https://t.co/sZmb6qF7kD 3 days ago
- FACT: ND & Butler are only Indiana programs to advance to two Elite 8's in lifetime of anyone on our current squad. https://t.co/JOn1OyN4CZ 4 days ago
- M. Lacrosse. Monday Brunch: Tough Ending in Columbus for Corrigan’s Crew
- Baseball. Vierling Earns ACC All-Freshman Team Honors
- Softball. #2 Michigan Ousts #23 Irish 6-2 In Ann Arbor Regional Final
- M. Lacrosse. 12th-Rated North Carolina Knocks Out Third Seed Notre Dame
- Softball. #23 Irish Return To Regional Final With Shutouts Of Valpo, Miami