Mar 16, 2013, 2:33 AM EDT
As it’s often said, “The third time’s the charm.”
But such was not the case tonight for the #24 Notre Dame men’s basketball team. For the third year in a row, the Irish met Louisville in the BIG EAST tournament semifinals.
And for the third year in a row, it was the Cardinals who advanced to Saturday night.
Playing in its final BIG EAST tournament before heading to the ACC, Notre Dame’s quest to reach its first conference championship game came up short, 69-57 in front of a spectacular crowd at Madison Square Garden.
While it’s the third straight semifinal loss to Louisville, it’s actually the fourth consecutive year the Irish have lost on Friday night (They fell to West Virginia in 2010).
Losing never feels good, especially against arguably your biggest rival. But you can bet this one stings a little more for Mike Brey‘s squad since it won’t get another crack at the Cardinals until the 2014-15 season.
Still, the team can’t dwell on tonight’s loss. The Irish are a lock for an at-large bid in the NCAA tournament, and have some work to do if they hope to make a run deep into March. They played well against Rutgers, and got a big win against Marquette on Thursday. And as Brey noted in his post-game press conference, Louisville is poised to be a #1 seed when the bracket is announced on Sunday.
“We had our chances. We were right there,” he said. “So I think there’s a lot for us to feel good about, that this tournament maybe helped get us tougher and more confident for next week.”
Stay tuned later in the weekend, as Fighting Irish Digital Media will bring you complete coverage of Selection Sunday. For more on the game, check out the recap on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Just got off the 🛣 recruiting, but Coach Ivey is already back in the gym! Our coaches ❤️ learning & growing! ☘️🏀 twitter.com/irishcoachivey… 8 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: #MonogramMoments ☘ 2013 @ndwbb Monogram winners at pre-game reception prior to 2013 @ncaawbb Final Four in New Orleans! #ND… 11 hours ago
- It's a 4️⃣0️⃣ year decision! Thanks to Hilary @NDCareerCenter for guiding us through our etiquette dinner!… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago
- 4️⃣ days until our first practice. ☘ We 🏀 Can't 🏆 Wait‼️ https://t.co/zSRwujQVB4 1 day ago
- RT @TheRobFranklin: Photos: @SkyDigg4 visits Wilson Primary Center to teach kids about health. @SBTribune southbendtribune.com/multimedia/pho… https://t… 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- 🔋💪 Rex - aka - @rexpflueger_1 brings energy and toughness to our group. The Irish return in 4️⃣2️⃣ days. Practic… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 14 hours ago
- RT @NDHoopsRB: Coach Brey on Pure Sweat Basketball talking about our player development! itun.es/us/U96Ybb.c?i=… https://t.co/OSBFI5bpvh 2 days ago
- 4️⃣4️⃣ days until The Irish return in 2016-17 Just 🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀 days until practice begins. Time to get to work. https://t.co/fipA7JyXXX 2 days ago
- All our guys have a feel for the game. But Vasturia's feel can keep @NDMikeBrey calm on the sidelines. The Irish… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 4 days ago
- RT @NDmbb: He calls himself 'the loosest Coach in America.' 🕶🕶🕶🕶🕶 Let's add 'Coolest Coach in America' for @NDMikeBrey https://t.co/1mVSeFv… 6 days ago
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: ITA All-American Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. #9 Irish Open Hockey Season With Exhibition Versus USNTDP
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Men's Lacrosse Hosts Annual Steak & Hot Dog Game on Saturday at Noon
- Football. Notre Dame-Syracuse 2016: Five Things to Watch
- M. Soccer. #1/2 Irish Take On Pitt In Friday Keystone State Clash