Mar 16, 2013, 2:33 AM EDT
As it’s often said, “The third time’s the charm.”
But such was not the case tonight for the #24 Notre Dame men’s basketball team. For the third year in a row, the Irish met Louisville in the BIG EAST tournament semifinals.
And for the third year in a row, it was the Cardinals who advanced to Saturday night.
Playing in its final BIG EAST tournament before heading to the ACC, Notre Dame’s quest to reach its first conference championship game came up short, 69-57 in front of a spectacular crowd at Madison Square Garden.
While it’s the third straight semifinal loss to Louisville, it’s actually the fourth consecutive year the Irish have lost on Friday night (They fell to West Virginia in 2010).
Losing never feels good, especially against arguably your biggest rival. But you can bet this one stings a little more for Mike Brey‘s squad since it won’t get another crack at the Cardinals until the 2014-15 season.
Still, the team can’t dwell on tonight’s loss. The Irish are a lock for an at-large bid in the NCAA tournament, and have some work to do if they hope to make a run deep into March. They played well against Rutgers, and got a big win against Marquette on Thursday. And as Brey noted in his post-game press conference, Louisville is poised to be a #1 seed when the bracket is announced on Sunday.
“We had our chances. We were right there,” he said. “So I think there’s a lot for us to feel good about, that this tournament maybe helped get us tougher and more confident for next week.”
Stay tuned later in the weekend, as Fighting Irish Digital Media will bring you complete coverage of Selection Sunday. For more on the game, check out the recap on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- We appreciate your beauty and your strength! @mycoool_ @hollijohnson12 🌹🌺 #NDMothersDay #ourlady🍀 http://t.co/RFtHKKlsHO 18 hours ago
- All-American/@IndianaFever rookie @NatAchon invited to @CanBball Nat'l Team camp to pick Pan Am Games team: basketball.ca/en/news-articl… 18 hours ago
- Mothers Day is approaching and we want to highlight our beautiful mothers! @mmabrey23 @mmabrey1 and Patty!🌺🌹#ourlady🍀 http://t.co/DuDadyg0IF 19 hours ago
- RT @SJCHabitat: Donate and support our @womenbuild project. goo.gl/9gARGG @ndwbb 21 hours ago
- RT @UAbasketball: Congratulations to Stephen Curry. 2014-15 @Kia @NBA #SC30MVP He's just getting started. bit.ly/1JMEbMK https:… 22 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: Does your school have alums as head men in the MLB & NBA? We do! ⚾️C. Counsell @Brewers 🏀M. Williams @PelicansNBA http… 1 day ago
- RT @NDMikeBrey: @UnderArmour family on a roll! Congrats to @StephenCurry30! #TeamUA 1 day ago
- RT @NDSlo: Two months until these @UnderArmour sneakers can get back on the road to find the next great ND man! http://t.co/lk3Ny3ZgEG 1 day ago
- Proud to say we wore the shoes created for the NBA MVP! Congrats @StephenCurry30 on the MVP year. #SC30 #TeamUA http://t.co/k36QV6YTRQ 1 day ago
- #DreamChasin' twitter.com/ndslo/status/5… 3 days ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Gilbert and Jenkins Added to Signing Class
- General News. Notre Dame Joins Elite List in Producing #1 Pro Draft Picks
- Football. Notre Dame Joins Elite List in Producing #1 Pro Draft Picks
- Softball. #21 Irish Seeded Third For Second ACC Championship Appearance
- Fencing. Lee Kiefer: Student, Athlete, World Traveler and Still So Much More