Mar 16, 2013, 2:33 AM EST
As it’s often said, “The third time’s the charm.”
But such was not the case tonight for the #24 Notre Dame men’s basketball team. For the third year in a row, the Irish met Louisville in the BIG EAST tournament semifinals.
And for the third year in a row, it was the Cardinals who advanced to Saturday night.
Playing in its final BIG EAST tournament before heading to the ACC, Notre Dame’s quest to reach its first conference championship game came up short, 69-57 in front of a spectacular crowd at Madison Square Garden.
While it’s the third straight semifinal loss to Louisville, it’s actually the fourth consecutive year the Irish have lost on Friday night (They fell to West Virginia in 2010).
Losing never feels good, especially against arguably your biggest rival. But you can bet this one stings a little more for Mike Brey‘s squad since it won’t get another crack at the Cardinals until the 2014-15 season.
Still, the team can’t dwell on tonight’s loss. The Irish are a lock for an at-large bid in the NCAA tournament, and have some work to do if they hope to make a run deep into March. They played well against Rutgers, and got a big win against Marquette on Thursday. And as Brey noted in his post-game press conference, Louisville is poised to be a #1 seed when the bracket is announced on Sunday.
“We had our chances. We were right there,” he said. “So I think there’s a lot for us to feel good about, that this tournament maybe helped get us tougher and more confident for next week.”
Stay tuned later in the weekend, as Fighting Irish Digital Media will bring you complete coverage of Selection Sunday. For more on the game, check out the recap on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- '16 @ndwbb Signee ✔️ All-American ✔️ Record Holder ✔️ and now .... Homecoming Queen! Congrats Erin Boley 👑 https://t.co/aabm89NSeq 7 hours ago
- RT @ESPN_WomenHoop: .@SkyDigg4 and @mistyonpointe channel their inner "Zoolander" on the runway for #NYFW. es.pn/1Soi5ER @ndwbb 9 hours ago
- A bit of post-practice fun today with Hannah and Madison 🎙 #interviewskills https://t.co/chpQhszKa4 10 hours ago
- Coach McGraw had a special surprise this morning from the team! A little Pre-Valentines gift 💓🍀 https://t.co/tNT1zkQjFs 13 hours ago
- Expecting handful of @ndwbb alums this wknd for Pink Zone! Molly Peirick Busam and family stopped in yesterday 🍀 https://t.co/4M9nqNJfkq 15 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- GOODNIGHT. Let's start chasin' another ACC title on Sunday. https://t.co/YxSw9wSIJh 3 hours ago
- KEY STAT TO OUR WIN OVER #13 UL UL came in outscoring opponents by 15.6 points in paint. TODAY? ND 30 | UL 20 https://t.co/ARhBfTyc6x 6 hours ago
- PHOTOS OF THE GAME: DJ's "D" VJ's layup Bonzie's Rebound Steve's Drive FINAL SCORE: ND 71 | #13 UL 66 https://t.co/nk05xhzguQ 7 hours ago
- RT @jordancornette: University of Notre Dame Men's Basketball. "Guard U." #Irish 7 hours ago
- THIS guy just won his 350th game at ND (2nd to do so) & first thing he does? THE BUMP. Loosest. Coach. In. America. https://t.co/yyyGN856nh 8 hours ago
- W. Lacrosse. #7 Irish Surge Past #15 Stanford, 13-9
- Football. John Lattner: His Trophy Life
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Await Sunday Matinee With #19/17 Miami
- M. Ice Hockey. Saturday Brunch: Late Irish Spree Trumps Maine Tradition
- M. Basketball. Jackson Named To Naismith Player of the Year Midseason Finalist