Mar 16, 2013, 2:33 AM EST
As it’s often said, “The third time’s the charm.”
But such was not the case tonight for the #24 Notre Dame men’s basketball team. For the third year in a row, the Irish met Louisville in the BIG EAST tournament semifinals.
And for the third year in a row, it was the Cardinals who advanced to Saturday night.
Playing in its final BIG EAST tournament before heading to the ACC, Notre Dame’s quest to reach its first conference championship game came up short, 69-57 in front of a spectacular crowd at Madison Square Garden.
While it’s the third straight semifinal loss to Louisville, it’s actually the fourth consecutive year the Irish have lost on Friday night (They fell to West Virginia in 2010).
Losing never feels good, especially against arguably your biggest rival. But you can bet this one stings a little more for Mike Brey‘s squad since it won’t get another crack at the Cardinals until the 2014-15 season.
Still, the team can’t dwell on tonight’s loss. The Irish are a lock for an at-large bid in the NCAA tournament, and have some work to do if they hope to make a run deep into March. They played well against Rutgers, and got a big win against Marquette on Thursday. And as Brey noted in his post-game press conference, Louisville is poised to be a #1 seed when the bracket is announced on Sunday.
“We had our chances. We were right there,” he said. “So I think there’s a lot for us to feel good about, that this tournament maybe helped get us tougher and more confident for next week.”
Stay tuned later in the weekend, as Fighting Irish Digital Media will bring you complete coverage of Selection Sunday. For more on the game, check out the recap on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Congrats to Marina ... ACC Rookie of the Week! https://t.co/uTeYehzxoD 17 hours ago
- https://t.co/IdsTYXgC7U 19 hours ago
- Big week for @ndwbb!! Wednesday (12/2) 🍀 Home vs Ohio State (7 pm EST) Saturday (12/5) ✈️ Away vs UCONN (5:15 pm EST) 19 hours ago
- Here's the recap, stats and notes from our OT win over UCLA today in the Bahamas … GO IRISH! und.com/sports/w-baskb… https://t.co/1jrS69vPjQ 2 days ago
- In other news, check out our victory dinner! https://t.co/pcLEijr08O 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @GoIrish: Only 3 hours left of the Black Friday Sale! Save up to 50% on select ND Athletic events! goo.gl/rj5R7x https://t.co/… 19 hours ago
- Our final shot comes up short. We bounce back on Wednesday at Illinois at 9:15pm. https://t.co/0YC1h17nKW 1 day ago
- DJ (@D_Jay24) starting to assert himself - 9pts, 4asts & 2stls in the 2nd half. #17 ND 71 | BAMA 70 2H | 3:11 https://t.co/crpA19O8tY 1 day ago
- DJ & Steve all over the court right now - combining for 25pts, 9asts & 7rebs so far. #17 ND 64 | BAMA 63 2H | ESPNU https://t.co/9L6BheedaD 1 day ago
- HERE COME THE IRISH. We were down by 13 & now lead by 1 due to picking up defensive pressure. #17 ND 51 | BAMA 50 https://t.co/jjs4b7WH87 1 day ago
- Baseball. High Expectations Surround Baseball As Fall Concludes
- M. Swimming. Men’s Swimming Announces Class of 2020 Signees
- W. Basketball. Marina Mabrey Named ACC Rookie of the Week
- W. Soccer. Three To Represent Irish At CONCACAF U-20 Championship
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Vs. Alabama Postgame Quotes