Mar 16, 2013, 2:33 AM EDT
As it’s often said, “The third time’s the charm.”
But such was not the case tonight for the #24 Notre Dame men’s basketball team. For the third year in a row, the Irish met Louisville in the BIG EAST tournament semifinals.
And for the third year in a row, it was the Cardinals who advanced to Saturday night.
Playing in its final BIG EAST tournament before heading to the ACC, Notre Dame’s quest to reach its first conference championship game came up short, 69-57 in front of a spectacular crowd at Madison Square Garden.
While it’s the third straight semifinal loss to Louisville, it’s actually the fourth consecutive year the Irish have lost on Friday night (They fell to West Virginia in 2010).
Losing never feels good, especially against arguably your biggest rival. But you can bet this one stings a little more for Mike Brey‘s squad since it won’t get another crack at the Cardinals until the 2014-15 season.
Still, the team can’t dwell on tonight’s loss. The Irish are a lock for an at-large bid in the NCAA tournament, and have some work to do if they hope to make a run deep into March. They played well against Rutgers, and got a big win against Marquette on Thursday. And as Brey noted in his post-game press conference, Louisville is poised to be a #1 seed when the bracket is announced on Sunday.
“We had our chances. We were right there,” he said. “So I think there’s a lot for us to feel good about, that this tournament maybe helped get us tougher and more confident for next week.”
Stay tuned later in the weekend, as Fighting Irish Digital Media will bring you complete coverage of Selection Sunday. For more on the game, check out the recap on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDsidMasters: #IrishintheWNBA opens the month of August tonight at 8 ET when @MsPeters14 & @minnesotalynx visit @TulsaShock (watch on @… 1 day ago
- RT @mattcashore: By popular demand--here's the blue moon. http://t.co/qrd8fggQYT 1 day ago
- #FBFriday to '14-15 season for @_Breezy_Briii. Fantastic freshman year, but BEST is yet to come. youtu.be/BN1RWWybkyo 2 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: RANDOM THOUGHT: The incoming class of Freshmen have lived in a World where @ndwbb ALWAYS makes the NCAA Tourney. https:/… 2 days ago
- #TBT to 1996 as @ndwbb appeared in its first of 20 consecutive NCAA Tournaments. #IrishExcellence http://t.co/jqi9LO5CwQ 3 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- #NDinNBA twitter.com/ruthriley00/st… 1 day ago
- As we enter our @CoachesvsCancer weekend, let's throw it back to Suits & Sneakers weekend before our win over NC St. http://t.co/P7Y7rDf3M6 2 days ago
- RT @NDMikeBrey: Always excited for our Coaches vs. Cancer weekend. So thankful for the community support. It's time to find a cure! http://… 2 days ago
- RT @JerianGrant: #SquadGoals lol http://t.co/iUHLA4cOk3 3 days ago
- RT @KyleMcAlarney: Yup... @NDmbb http://t.co/4VIxBZsTL4 3 days ago
- W. Lacrosse. Ortega Named All-World; Team USA Claims Silver
- W. Lacrosse. Incoming Freshmen Play for World Championship on Sat.
- W. Swimming. Irish Stars Thrive On International Swimming Stage
- W. Golf. Cool, Confident Hamilton Matures in Wyndham Cup Debut
- W. Volleyball. How To Watch Irish Volleyball Matches In 2015