Mar 16, 2013, 2:33 AM EDT
As it’s often said, “The third time’s the charm.”
But such was not the case tonight for the #24 Notre Dame men’s basketball team. For the third year in a row, the Irish met Louisville in the BIG EAST tournament semifinals.
And for the third year in a row, it was the Cardinals who advanced to Saturday night.
Playing in its final BIG EAST tournament before heading to the ACC, Notre Dame’s quest to reach its first conference championship game came up short, 69-57 in front of a spectacular crowd at Madison Square Garden.
While it’s the third straight semifinal loss to Louisville, it’s actually the fourth consecutive year the Irish have lost on Friday night (They fell to West Virginia in 2010).
Losing never feels good, especially against arguably your biggest rival. But you can bet this one stings a little more for Mike Brey‘s squad since it won’t get another crack at the Cardinals until the 2014-15 season.
Still, the team can’t dwell on tonight’s loss. The Irish are a lock for an at-large bid in the NCAA tournament, and have some work to do if they hope to make a run deep into March. They played well against Rutgers, and got a big win against Marquette on Thursday. And as Brey noted in his post-game press conference, Louisville is poised to be a #1 seed when the bracket is announced on Sunday.
“We had our chances. We were right there,” he said. “So I think there’s a lot for us to feel good about, that this tournament maybe helped get us tougher and more confident for next week.”
Stay tuned later in the weekend, as Fighting Irish Digital Media will bring you complete coverage of Selection Sunday. For more on the game, check out the recap on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Welcome to the ND family Katie!!! Can't wait for you to be on campus! 🍀 1 hour ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: Proud to announce Katie Capps (for whom I was @LadyTopperHoops SID from 98-01) as new @ndwbb director of operations: http… 1 hour ago
- RT @SkyDigg4: GAAAAAAAAAAAAAME DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!! 8 hours ago
- First preseason game between our ND alums tonight in Tulsa! @SkyDigg4 vs @kaymac_2123 at 7pm! @WNBA summer ball is getting started!! 8 hours ago
- Staff outing to watch @IndianaFever practice and Ace! Great job @NatAchon! So proud of you! #IrishinWNBA http://t.co/dyx6iweBCX 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Throwback to when we "danced" our way to a Championship. #ACCchamps #tbt http://t.co/lGBrZb70NY 19 hours ago
- It's one thing to have expectations... ...it's another thing to surpass them. http://t.co/DPJ88regmx 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: The Class of 2015 provided us with so many great moments. What was your favorite? Did it include this @NDmbb duo? http… 4 days ago
- RT @JerianGrant: Yup http://t.co/lZczUVHse6 5 days ago
- RT @PlanetPat24: 🎶 ______ we made it!!!🎶 🎓 #AlumniStatus #WeAreND http://t.co/yjH8m6W2dY 5 days ago
- W. Rowing. Irish Alumna Bruggeman Qualifies For Pan Am Games
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Extra: Another Notre Dame Men's Lax First -- Consecutive NCAA Final Fours
- M. Lacrosse. Seven Irish Players Cop USILA All-America Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Duo Falls In NCAA Doubles Championship
- Baseball. Wolfpack Pitching Shuts Down Irish In ACC Opener