Mar 12, 2013, 9:56 PM EDT
For the third time this season, and the second in just eight days, the Notre Dame women’s basketball team beat Connecticut in dramatic fashion. After a steal by Skylar Diggins, Natalie Achonwa scored the game-winning layup with 1.8 seconds remaining, lifting the Irish to a 61-59 victory over the Huskies.
With their seventh win in the last eight games against their top rival, the Irish secured their first-ever BIG EAST tournament title. It was a fitting conclusion for Notre Dame, on the day the university announced an earlier than expected departure for the ACC.
In typical Notre Dame fashion, many alums, teams, and current or former student-athletes took to Twitter to express their excitement. As always, @NDSoftball knocked it out of the park, coming through with a pair of priceless reaction pics (though we’re really not sure who @natalie_mu is… #autocorrectproblems?). Here are some of the best tweets.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- “Notre Dame is such a magical place. You can really feel the tradition when you walk around this campus.” -… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Catch @MuffetMcGraw on @ESPNUonSiriusXM 📻 at 11:15 am ET https://t.co/c7adM4MRGv 2 days ago
- ICYMI: @Arike_O & @mmabrey1 took over ACC Media Day 💯 https://t.co/EeVxmWiRGE 2 days ago
- That’s a wrap on #ACCMediaDay Back to the Bend! 🛩 https://t.co/y5UEOOhReL 3 days ago
- #Buckets 🏀 #ACCMediaDay https://t.co/ag7cKoC3sU 3 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- W. Rowing. Championship Eight, Four Compete At Head Of The Charles
- W. Volleyball. Irish Stun Miami In Incredible 3-2 Comeback Victory
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In ITA Midwest Regional Quarterfinal
- Football. Replay: Trojans No Match for Physical Irish
- M. Golf. Irish to Compete in Final Fall Tournament