Mar 11, 2013, 5:29 PM EDT
Notre Dame welcomed three talented and promising freshmen to the squad this year. These three players look to build on the success of recent Irish squads and leave a mark of their own. Irish UNDerground blogger Lauren Chval sat down to get to know the third of the trio, forward Austin Burgett.
Believe it or not, Austin Burgett’s first great love was baseball.
When he was younger, his dad was a minor leaguer, and Burgett recalls spending a lot of time watching his father play. His start in basketball came a couple years later.
“In third grade, my dad got me started playing basketball because I was taller than everyone else,” he says. “It stuck.”
Burgett’s height wasn’t the only advantage he had in the game. Although he kept playing baseball in high school as a pitcher and left fielder, Burgett says that he developed an unmatched passion for his second sport.
“To be honest, in high school I was probably better at baseball,” Burgett explains. “I just liked basketball more.”
Although he grew up only a couple hours away from Notre Dame, Burgett admits that he was not a fan before he committed as a junior in high school. In fact, he spent his childhood cheering on the Indiana Hoosiers.
“I’ve been an IU fan all my life and that’s where most of my family members have gone. So I kind of went the opposite way.”
He says the frequently cited combination of athletics and academics was a big factor in that decision. He had never been to Notre Dame before his first visit as a freshman in high school when he came for a football game, but Coach Brey and his staff impressed the young Burgett at an open gym.
At the time, the only player on the team that he would ever share the locker room with was graduate student Scott Martin. He didn’t meet his fellow freshmen until a couple years later on his official visit.
“They’re a little bit more out there and try to keep them within the limits,” Burgett admits.
Even in classes that the three take together, Burgett jokes that he is sometimes the one to keep things focused.
Academically, Burgett is currently in the process of deciding between Business Management and Business Marketing.
“My uncle is in international business, and he does marketing and management, and I job shadowed him and I liked it. So I’m hoping to do the same thing.”
In many ways, Burgett is a normal Notre Dame student, despite his athletic talent. His favorite movie is Step Brothers. He’ll tell you that his hall, Duncan, is the “best dorm on campus.” He and his roommate schedule time to watch the new episode of The Walking Dead every Sunday night. In fact, that element of typical student life is one of the things Burgett loves most about Notre Dame.
“I really like living with the normal students instead of living with just athletes so that you interact with them more,” he says. “I don’t like just hanging out with the basketball team because we see each other every day. It’s nice to be within the population.”
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- What Challenge lies ahead for the Irish in 2016-17? Find out Wednesday morning #GameOn https://t.co/Gqo5KgaCln 16 hours ago
- Hey @NDAtlanta members! The WNBA @AtlantaDream is making it easier to watch @ndwbb pros this summer in Atlanta! https://t.co/kV6Ijg4kJt 20 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘Leading from the start... 9 days into @WNBA season, ND's Kayla McBride ranks 2nd overall in scoring (22 pts/game). htt… 1 day ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: Here's a small taste of why KMac is tied for 2nd in the @WNBA in scoring this year at 22.0 ppg! #IrishintheWNBA https://t… 1 day ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: #IrishintheWNBA putting up big numbers this year - @jewellloyd career-high 30 on Friday, 29 for KMac last night! https://… 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: ND ➡️ Delaware Congrats @NDmbb Ast. Coach Ingelsby on being Delaware's new head coach READ: und.com/sports/m-baskb… htt… 43 minutes ago
- With unveiling of our 2016 ACC-B1G Challenge opponent - IOWA - let's look at our last meeting, a 68-62 win in 2015. amp.twimg.com/v/1b7670bd-64c… 12 hours ago
- RT @UDBlueHens: #BlueHens will welcome Martin Ingelsby as new @DelawareMBB Head Coach tomorrow at 11 a.m. bluehens.com/ViewArticle.db… https://t… 12 hours ago
- Teacher. Mentor. Friend. Steve Vasturia on Ast. Coach & ND alum Martin Ingelsby being named Delaware Head Coach... https://t.co/fLJMGZ2RoJ 15 hours ago
- 🍀Alum:✔️ 🍀Assistant:✔️ Delaware Head Coach:✔️ Congrats to Coach Ingelsby on the new gig! ➡️ und.com/sports/m-baskb… https://t.co/HfK2AONMia 16 hours ago
- M. Basketball. Ingelsby Accepts Delaware Head Coach Position
- W. Volleyball. Irish Volleyball Adds Klein & Truett To 2016 Roster
- W. Tennis. Irish Insights: NCAA Singles Championship
- M. Basketball. Irish To Welcome Hawkeyes In 'Challenge' Rematch
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Named National ITA Arthur Ashe Award Winner