Mar 11, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
One of the great benefits of the BIG EAST tournament being held in New York is that it often allows for some unique experiences that you won’t find elsewhere. From walking around Times Square to the games themselves in the World’s Most Famous Arena, visits to the Big Apple are special for everyone involved.
On Monday afternoon, the Irish men’s basketball team had another memorable opportunity – touring the 9/11 Memorial in Lower Manhattan.
The great staff told the team about the construction of the Memorial, and shared stories such as that of the Survivor Tree, a Callery pear tree that lived through extensive damage during the Sept. 11 attacks and was relocated to Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx before being re-planted at the Memorial in Dec. 2010.
Whether or not we lost a loved one on that tragic Tuesday morning, we all remember where we were when we found out the devastating news.
For Joey Brooks, reading class as a 10- or 11-year-old, when an announcement came over the school’s PA.
For Pat Connaughton, a third grader, when he got home and his parents were “glued to the TV.”
I remember being in Miss Tusa’s seventh grade English class at Ballston Spa Middle School. Each of us has a different story and a different painful memory.
To those of us in the Millennial Generation, Sept. 11 will always stand out as a moment that part of our youthful innocence died. It may have been the first time we closely watched the news, or the first time we had to ask our parents those tough kinds of questions none of us looks forward to answering when we have children of our own.
When you arrive at the intersection of Albany and Greenwich, the first thing that catches your eye is the impressive architecture of Freedom Tower, or One World Trade Center, the new skyscraper set to be completed later this year.
But it’s only when you get around the corner, and see two giant reflecting pools, and the names of 2,983 victims, that it really hits you.
Names like Francis Edward Grogan, Stephen N. Hyland Jr., Robert Ferris, and Dora Menchaca, the four Notre Dame alumni whose lives were taken that day.
Grogan (’51), a Holy Cross priest aboard Flight 175, the plane that hit the South Tower.
Hyland (’77), a lieutenant colonel and 20-year U.S. Army veteran, in his office at the Pentagon.
Ferris (’62), a senior vice president of risk management at Aon Corporation, at work on the 102nd floor of the South Tower.
And Menchaca (’77), an associate director of clinical research at Amgen, on Flight 77 on her way home from Washington, D.C.
It’s hard to believe, but six months from today, we’ll recognize the 12th anniversary of Sept. 11. In the hustle and bustle of our daily lives, it’s often easy to forget the thousands who lost everything and the significance of that day in our country’s history.
During a week in which the Irish are preparing for what they hope will be a long run in the BIG EAST tournament, Monday afternoon provided a powerful and moving interruption from the madness of March.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: ☘ Irish visit the Women's Hoops Hall of Fame 🏆 '01 @ndwbb won the National Championship 👠 '11 @MuffetMcGraw was indu… 9 hours ago
- Miss the latest Muffet McGraw Radio Show? Catch up here before our next live show at @ORourkes_Pub- January 23rd! youtu.be/Y4C6BSnr_JA 16 hours ago
- Final from Knoxville. Marina Mabrey leads the Irish with 17 points. #LoveTheeNotreDame https://t.co/EDUHBOEYaQ 1 day ago
- #HereComeTheIrish ☘️ ESPN2 https://t.co/SzyTxKmWRi 1 day ago
- Marina Mabrey leads the Irish with 14 points as they lead Tennessee by 10 headed into the fourth quarter. https://t.co/1Ny00OZaew 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Consistency is what we are all about. You might call it 'underappreciated.' We call it - Notre Dame Basketball. und.com/sports/m-baskb… 14 hours ago
- The 📸best dressed📸 staff in America reminds you to vote every day for @NDMikeBrey in #Coaches4Charity Challenge 👉… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 🚨Player of the Week ALERT🚨 Steve Vasturia named co @accmbb Player of the Week Averaged 15.0ppg, 5.0 rpg, 5.0 apg i… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 🤔 What do we call it? ☄️ The dive? 🕵️ The steal? 👉 How about just... 💪 Toughness 💪 #ClosingTime https://t.co/R6EVTTEHJR 2 days ago
- How do you get to first place in the best league in the country? 💪Effort plays at the end of games.💪 ND 16-2, 5-0 i… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago
- M. Basketball. SI Now - Why Is Notre Dame Underappreciated?
- General News. Torain Joins Athletics Department As Associate Athletics Director
- W. Basketball. Irish Fall in Final Minute at Tennessee
- M. Basketball. Florida State Preview - Ten Things To Know
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Irish Taking Longer Early Look in Mirror