Mar 11, 2013, 9:26 AM EDT
Not more than 24 hours after arriving back on campus from the regular season finale at Louisville, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team (23-8 overall, 11-7 conference) departed for New York City in preparation for the BIG EAST tournament.
With the university on spring break, the Irish opted to head to the Big Apple a day earlier than last year. Shortly after 8:15 pm, the team departed for South Bend Airport from Gate 6 at the Joyce Center.
After boarding the plane, head coach Mike Brey thanked the team’s travel partners – the Notre Dame band and cheerleaders – for all of their support throughout the season.
“Good to have you with us,” he said. “There’s nothing like spring break in New York. Let’s plan on being there a while.”
And by “a while,” Coach Brey hopes to take the Irish farther than they’ve ever been – to Saturday night and the tournament’s championship game.
On five other occasions (2002, 2007, 2010, 2011 and 2012), Notre Dame has played in Friday’s semifinals, but the team has never been able to get over that last hurdle and reach the conference’s greatest stage.
With this being the final BIG EAST tournament (at least in it’s current form), there would be no better time to do it than this week.
The quest begins on Wednesday night at 9 pm ET (more like 9:30, following the 7 o’clock game) as #6 seed Notre Dame takes on the winner of Tuesday’s matchup between #14 seed DePaul and #11 seed Rutgers.
During the regular season, the Blue Demons and Scarlet Knights both gave the Irish all they could handle. Notre Dame won all three games against those opponents, two in overtime against DePaul, and a 69-66 victory over Rutgers.
Should Notre Dame win that game, it will advance to a Thursday night meeting with #3 seed Marquette.
We’ll be providing several updates from the trip, so stay tuned throughout the week. Keep an eye on Twitter – @ndmbb, @NDJackNolan and @NDSportsBlogger – and make sure to subscribe to YouTube.com/NotreDameAthletics, where Fighting Irish Digital Media will be sharing all the video content from on the road with the Irish.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- #McGrawHoF☘️ Series: McGraw has coached 19 different consensus All-Americans, including current three-time winner… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 9 hours ago
- #McGrawHoF☘️ Series: 4 years -- 4 ACC tournament titles Relive the 2017 celebration #GoIrish https://t.co/kdXUYvzrqI 1 day ago
- Why did Danielle Patterson pick Notre Dame? Get to know the birthday girl in our latest 60 Second Drill! 👀… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Join us in wishing Danielle Patterson a very Happy Birthday! Enjoy your day, @d_patterson33! 🎉🎂🎁 https://t.co/W3kvqp0aag 1 day ago
- Big night for the Irish☘️ in the WNBA, including a #NotreDame showdown out West between @kaymac_2123 & @jewellloyd. https://t.co/VoTONjGClb 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Our @Martin_Geben prepping for @FISUnetwork in Taipei with @musukrepsinis 1st game Aug 20 vs Israel #SUTaipei2017 https://t.co/Yl7idcF7Gd 2 days ago
- With a heavy heart, we announce the passing of Irish legend Tom Hawkins. A trailblazer and true 'Notre Dame Man.'… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago
- DYK? 🤔❓ @MattyFarr3 set the @NDmbb school record for 3FG% in ACC play last season? #Sharpshooter https://t.co/A1hJT9GuhR 4 days ago
- 🏅🔓 Achievement unlocked! @Martin_Geben takes out his first backboard in Taipei with Lithuanian Student Team. 🤞hope… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 days ago
- RT @NDmbbSID: In China, @Martin_Geben finishes pre-World University Game Tour with another huge game vs. Montenegro - 22 MP, 21 pts, 7 reb… 1 week ago
- M. Soccer. #10 Irish, Valpo Clash In Annual Grassroot Soccer Contest
- W. Soccer. #18 Irish, Butler Draw 0-0 In 2017 Lid-Lifter
- Football. EXCLUSIVE: Rockne Heritage Uniforms Unveiled
- M. Lacrosse. Four Irish Alums Set To Play For MLL Championship
- Cross Country. Cross Country Tabs Four Captains for 2017 Season