Mar 11, 2013, 9:26 AM EDT
Not more than 24 hours after arriving back on campus from the regular season finale at Louisville, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team (23-8 overall, 11-7 conference) departed for New York City in preparation for the BIG EAST tournament.
With the university on spring break, the Irish opted to head to the Big Apple a day earlier than last year. Shortly after 8:15 pm, the team departed for South Bend Airport from Gate 6 at the Joyce Center.
After boarding the plane, head coach Mike Brey thanked the team’s travel partners – the Notre Dame band and cheerleaders – for all of their support throughout the season.
“Good to have you with us,” he said. “There’s nothing like spring break in New York. Let’s plan on being there a while.”
And by “a while,” Coach Brey hopes to take the Irish farther than they’ve ever been – to Saturday night and the tournament’s championship game.
On five other occasions (2002, 2007, 2010, 2011 and 2012), Notre Dame has played in Friday’s semifinals, but the team has never been able to get over that last hurdle and reach the conference’s greatest stage.
With this being the final BIG EAST tournament (at least in it’s current form), there would be no better time to do it than this week.
The quest begins on Wednesday night at 9 pm ET (more like 9:30, following the 7 o’clock game) as #6 seed Notre Dame takes on the winner of Tuesday’s matchup between #14 seed DePaul and #11 seed Rutgers.
During the regular season, the Blue Demons and Scarlet Knights both gave the Irish all they could handle. Notre Dame won all three games against those opponents, two in overtime against DePaul, and a 69-66 victory over Rutgers.
Should Notre Dame win that game, it will advance to a Thursday night meeting with #3 seed Marquette.
We’ll be providing several updates from the trip, so stay tuned throughout the week. Keep an eye on Twitter – @ndmbb, @NDJackNolan and @NDSportsBlogger – and make sure to subscribe to YouTube.com/NotreDameAthletics, where Fighting Irish Digital Media will be sharing all the video content from on the road with the Irish.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Another first 👀- this time @JuwanDurham in his first practice at Notre Dame. https://t.co/G5dfv08osU 14 hours ago
- A first 👀 at DJ in drills today (aka @TheRealDJHarvey) https://t.co/wNk8ocFB7O 14 hours ago
- ⏱Time for the first official summer workout as the 2017-18 ☘️Fighting Irish☘️ It all starts ↘️NOW↙️ #LevelUp https://t.co/I0lM4MzpGF 15 hours ago
- RT @robbycarmody23: God, Country, Notre Dame. https://t.co/J3EthOpUJ9 17 hours ago
- The Joyce Center Notre Dame Stadium. THE MOON. @MattyFarr3 will pull up and drain it from anywhere. https://t.co/yITVT6tIP6 3 days ago