Mar 11, 2013, 9:26 AM EST
Not more than 24 hours after arriving back on campus from the regular season finale at Louisville, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team (23-8 overall, 11-7 conference) departed for New York City in preparation for the BIG EAST tournament.
With the university on spring break, the Irish opted to head to the Big Apple a day earlier than last year. Shortly after 8:15 pm, the team departed for South Bend Airport from Gate 6 at the Joyce Center.
After boarding the plane, head coach Mike Brey thanked the team’s travel partners – the Notre Dame band and cheerleaders – for all of their support throughout the season.
“Good to have you with us,” he said. “There’s nothing like spring break in New York. Let’s plan on being there a while.”
And by “a while,” Coach Brey hopes to take the Irish farther than they’ve ever been – to Saturday night and the tournament’s championship game.
On five other occasions (2002, 2007, 2010, 2011 and 2012), Notre Dame has played in Friday’s semifinals, but the team has never been able to get over that last hurdle and reach the conference’s greatest stage.
With this being the final BIG EAST tournament (at least in it’s current form), there would be no better time to do it than this week.
The quest begins on Wednesday night at 9 pm ET (more like 9:30, following the 7 o’clock game) as #6 seed Notre Dame takes on the winner of Tuesday’s matchup between #14 seed DePaul and #11 seed Rutgers.
During the regular season, the Blue Demons and Scarlet Knights both gave the Irish all they could handle. Notre Dame won all three games against those opponents, two in overtime against DePaul, and a 69-66 victory over Rutgers.
Should Notre Dame win that game, it will advance to a Thursday night meeting with #3 seed Marquette.
We’ll be providing several updates from the trip, so stay tuned throughout the week. Keep an eye on Twitter – @ndmbb, @NDJackNolan and @NDSportsBlogger – and make sure to subscribe to YouTube.com/NotreDameAthletics, where Fighting Irish Digital Media will be sharing all the video content from on the road with the Irish.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- The @MuffetMcGraw Radio Show presented by @tire_rack is LIVE! Catch all the action now on Facebook! ⤵️ 🔗… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 18 hours ago
- The stage is set for another edition of the @MuffetMcGraw Radio Show starting at 6 pm ET. Tonight’s guests includ… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 19 hours ago
- When you average 2️⃣5️⃣ points and spearhead the largest comeback in program history, the @accwbb office comes 📞 C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 21 hours ago
- The @MuffetMcGraw Radio Show is back live at @ORourkes_Pub tonight at 6 p.m. ET. Come with an appetite and some q… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Want to hear all about our three-game, 3️⃣ win, homestand from @MuffetMcGraw? Join us TONIGHT for the Muffet McGr… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- You can always count on the FIGHT in Fighting Irish. Another battle to the end coming up in the next 20 minutes on… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Back on the 🛣 for an @accmbb 🤜💥🤛 battle vs #20 Clemson Starting 🖐 at 🐯 🕷 @MattyFarr3 👑 @rexpflueger 🔋… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Arrival ✅ Irish Tigers 4 pm ESPN https://t.co/9lXGi3zckz 2 days ago
- ☀️ is out in Carolina... ☘️ are ready to roll vs 🐯 🌅 4 pm ET | ESPN https://t.co/uXOXYd1iZN 3 days ago
- Putting our preparation to the test tomorrow. 4 pm | ESPN | at Clemson https://t.co/uXOXYd1iZN 3 days ago
- W. Soccer. Romagnolo Announces Resignation as Irish Women’s Soccer Coach
- W. Basketball. Ogunbowale Named ACC Player of the Week
- M. Lacrosse. Men's Lacrosse Announces Two Preseason Exhibitions
- W. Tennis. Season Outlook: Irish Combine Veteran Experience With Young Talent
- Baseball. Irish Baseball & Softball Season Tickets On Sale