Mar 6, 2013, 10:51 AM EST
Skylar Diggins and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish’s second ranked women’s basketball team outlasted the #3 Connecticut Huskies in a thriller that has come to be expected when these two opponents clash. It was a magnificent end to the regular season for the Irish, who finished as the BIG EAST regular season champions for the second consecutive year.
This game did not technically fall into the category of March Madness that is usually reserved for the NCAA tournament, but it qualified both components of the name, falling on March 4, and elevating to madness as one overtime led to another.
Monday’s game wasn’t Diggins’ most statistically impressive, nor was it the team’s best performance of the season, but it was a tremendous night for Diggins, as well as senior teammate Kaila Turner, each playing in their final game at Purcell Pavilion in South Bend.
Notre Dame came out a little shaky, struggling to make routine field goals, and went into the half trailing, 34-28, but they were able to dominate the second half and even the score at 64 by the time regulation ended. From there, the Irish and Huskies seemed evenly matched, each putting up seven and then ten points in the first and second overtimes. It wasn’t until the third overtime that the Irish were able to assert themselves and close out the game, scoring 15 in the final five minutes compared to Connecticut’s six points.
Diggins shot 11-for-31 from the floor, with 11 rebounds, three assists, four steals, eight turnovers, and all 55 minutes played. Her 35.5% field goal percentage was well below her season average of 43.1%, and eight turnovers was more than double her average of 3.5 per game. It is worth noting these differences, but it’s not surprising considering players rarely have their best statistical nights against tough opponents.
Statistics aside, Diggins has always been an integral part of the team for intangible reasons that only athletes who have played on a team can understand–she has been an invaluable member and leader on the women’s basketball team at Notre Dame for the past four years. In terms of where her career will progress, one might say the Sky is the limit.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- https://t.co/PuijMp1AUw 1 hour ago
- "The Lord can heal your heart if you believe" -Ingrid Williams Thoughts and prayers for Monty Williams & his family https://t.co/BJyDwdtQbQ 21 hours ago
- Coach McGraw doing a meet and greet with fans today at the Meijer in Mishawaka! #bestfans https://t.co/RtwpUAnjYq 23 hours ago
- Lots of nominations pouring in this week 🍀 Congrats to Bri and Lindsay! twitter.com/naismithtrophy… 1 day ago
- Only a few more days to bid on your favorite @ndwbb items in the Pink Zone auction. und.cstvauctions.com/gallery.cfm https://t.co/MRKGJdujsQ 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Long after practice & lift is over, our Cousy Award finalist is still getting shots up in an empty Purcell Pavilion. https://t.co/pKF84QEtBm 16 hours ago
- Congrats to DJ on being named to @NaismithTrophy Midseason Watch List. 🏀@D_Jay24's Stats: 16.5ppg, 5apg, 3.5rpg https://t.co/YHIGazgKgO 19 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏀 #1 UNC | 2016 🏀 #11 LOUISVILLE | 2013 🏀 #1 SYRACUSE | 2012 Take a look back at some of @NDmbb's biggest games. http… 20 hours ago
- 🏀Throwin' OOPS don't stop when you graduate. Check out EA's (@EAtkins0) pass for the @ErieBayHawks of @NBADLeague. https://t.co/RlKlI2bqOT 22 hours ago
- RT @PlanetPat5: You can take the man out of south bend but you can't take Notre Dame out of the man.. Headed back w/ the bros 🍀 https://t.c… 22 hours ago
- Football. One Shirt One Body: Maybe Robinson’s Best Act Yet
- M. Basketball. Irish Return Home To Face #13 Cardinals
- General News. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women's Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- Cross Country. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women’s Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- W. Volleyball. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women’s Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year