Mar 4, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
So this is it. The last week of the college basketball regular season and the end of the line for the BIG EAST conference as we’ve known it. The conference that has produced countless unforgettable games and a host of great NBA players will look vastly different next season, with Notre Dame still unsure about its whereabouts for the 2013-14 campaign.
After falling to Marquette on Saturday in Milwaukee, the Irish (10-6, 22-7 overall) find themselves tied with Syracuse for fifth in the BIG EAST standings. The Orange, of course, own the tiebreaker, thanks to their 63-47 win on Feb. 4.
On Tuesday, Notre Dame will host St. John’s in the final game at Purcell Pavilion of the 2012-13 season. The Irish will honor the class of 2013 – Mike Broghammer, Joey Brooks and Jack Cooley, along with graduate student Scott Martin in Senior Night festivities.
More importantly, they will look to avenge a January loss at St. John’s and pick up their 11th conference victory of the year.
The BIG EAST tournament begins a week from tomorrow at Madison Square Garden with Georgetown (13-3, 23-4) and Marquette (12-4, 21-7) already clinching a place in the quarterfinals. The Irish, meanwhile, are among the teams fighting for those two remaining byes.
Here’s a look at the standings and remaining matchups for each of the top six teams.
- Georgetown: 13-3, 23-4 – at Villanova (Mar. 6), vs. Syracuse (Mar. 9)
- Louisville: 12-4, 24-5 – vs. Cincinnati (Mar. 4), vs. Notre Dame (Mar. 9)
- Marquette: 12-4, 21-7 – at Rutgers (Mar. 5), at St. John’s (Mar. 9)
- Pittsburgh: 11-6, 23-7 – at DePaul (Mar. 9)
- Syracuse: 10-6, 22-7 – vs. DePaul (Mar. 6), at Georgetown (Mar. 9)
- Notre Dame: 10-6, 22-7 – vs. St John’s (Mar. 5), at Louisville (Mar. 9)
The Irish have an outside shot at being amongst the top four, but they will need some help, even if they win their remaining two games and 12-6. We’ll take a closer look at the scenarios after tomorrow’s games.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- #McGrawHoF☘️ Series: McGraw has coached 19 different consensus All-Americans, including current three-time winner… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 9 hours ago
- #McGrawHoF☘️ Series: 4 years -- 4 ACC tournament titles Relive the 2017 celebration #GoIrish https://t.co/kdXUYvzrqI 1 day ago
- Why did Danielle Patterson pick Notre Dame? Get to know the birthday girl in our latest 60 Second Drill! 👀… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Join us in wishing Danielle Patterson a very Happy Birthday! Enjoy your day, @d_patterson33! 🎉🎂🎁 https://t.co/W3kvqp0aag 1 day ago
- Big night for the Irish☘️ in the WNBA, including a #NotreDame showdown out West between @kaymac_2123 & @jewellloyd. https://t.co/VoTONjGClb 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Our @Martin_Geben prepping for @FISUnetwork in Taipei with @musukrepsinis 1st game Aug 20 vs Israel #SUTaipei2017 https://t.co/Yl7idcF7Gd 2 days ago
- With a heavy heart, we announce the passing of Irish legend Tom Hawkins. A trailblazer and true 'Notre Dame Man.'… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago
- DYK? 🤔❓ @MattyFarr3 set the @NDmbb school record for 3FG% in ACC play last season? #Sharpshooter https://t.co/A1hJT9GuhR 4 days ago
- 🏅🔓 Achievement unlocked! @Martin_Geben takes out his first backboard in Taipei with Lithuanian Student Team. 🤞hope… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 days ago
- RT @NDmbbSID: In China, @Martin_Geben finishes pre-World University Game Tour with another huge game vs. Montenegro - 22 MP, 21 pts, 7 reb… 1 week ago
- M. Soccer. #10 Irish, Valpo Clash In Annual Grassroot Soccer Contest
- W. Soccer. #18 Irish, Butler Draw 0-0 In 2017 Lid-Lifter
- Football. EXCLUSIVE: Rockne Heritage Uniforms Unveiled
- M. Lacrosse. Four Irish Alums Set To Play For MLL Championship
- Cross Country. Cross Country Tabs Four Captains for 2017 Season