Mar 4, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
So this is it. The last week of the college basketball regular season and the end of the line for the BIG EAST conference as we’ve known it. The conference that has produced countless unforgettable games and a host of great NBA players will look vastly different next season, with Notre Dame still unsure about its whereabouts for the 2013-14 campaign.
After falling to Marquette on Saturday in Milwaukee, the Irish (10-6, 22-7 overall) find themselves tied with Syracuse for fifth in the BIG EAST standings. The Orange, of course, own the tiebreaker, thanks to their 63-47 win on Feb. 4.
On Tuesday, Notre Dame will host St. John’s in the final game at Purcell Pavilion of the 2012-13 season. The Irish will honor the class of 2013 – Mike Broghammer, Joey Brooks and Jack Cooley, along with graduate student Scott Martin in Senior Night festivities.
More importantly, they will look to avenge a January loss at St. John’s and pick up their 11th conference victory of the year.
The BIG EAST tournament begins a week from tomorrow at Madison Square Garden with Georgetown (13-3, 23-4) and Marquette (12-4, 21-7) already clinching a place in the quarterfinals. The Irish, meanwhile, are among the teams fighting for those two remaining byes.
Here’s a look at the standings and remaining matchups for each of the top six teams.
- Georgetown: 13-3, 23-4 – at Villanova (Mar. 6), vs. Syracuse (Mar. 9)
- Louisville: 12-4, 24-5 – vs. Cincinnati (Mar. 4), vs. Notre Dame (Mar. 9)
- Marquette: 12-4, 21-7 – at Rutgers (Mar. 5), at St. John’s (Mar. 9)
- Pittsburgh: 11-6, 23-7 – at DePaul (Mar. 9)
- Syracuse: 10-6, 22-7 – vs. DePaul (Mar. 6), at Georgetown (Mar. 9)
- Notre Dame: 10-6, 22-7 – vs. St John’s (Mar. 5), at Louisville (Mar. 9)
The Irish have an outside shot at being amongst the top four, but they will need some help, even if they win their remaining two games and 12-6. We’ll take a closer look at the scenarios after tomorrow’s games.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Welcome home @LA_Cruisen! ☘️ https://t.co/iBvi9nosAz 6 hours ago
- RT @ndwbb: There comes a time where winter asks, what have you done all summer? #BeReady #GoIrish☘️ https://t.co/hJai5Skfu2 1 day ago
- There comes a time where winter asks, what have you done all summer? #BeReady #GoIrish☘️ https://t.co/hJai5Skfu2 1 day ago
- ICYMI: Our 2017 - 2018 schedule is out! 👀 What game do you have circled? 🤔 #GoIrish ☘ https://t.co/iXvlYUbvke 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🍀Dr. Rice's Resume🍀 @NotreDame Degree:✔️ 66th U.S. Secretary of State:✔️ Honorary @NDMonogram Recipient:✔️ READ: https:… 3 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- It is preseason 🏆⏰ @Bcolson_35 lands one of the biggest from @BlueRibbonSport ➡️ National Player of the Year ⬅️… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- State bragging rights on the line again at the Crossroads Classic. Tip time, network announced! https://t.co/jaGCaJzFm2 6 days ago
- 'Victory Pass' has debuted from @GoIrish A unique way to get 🎟️s to Irish hoops in '17-'18. More info:… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 week ago
- Season opener tip time revealed! ☘️ at 🔵😈 📅 Nov 11 ⏰ 4 pm ET 📺 @FS1 https://t.co/N1LSBXeu1o 1 week ago
- RT @NE_Playaz: Nate Laszewski has finished up his first official visit to Notre Dame this weekend. Next stop Wake Forest! https://t.co/X11r… 1 week ago