Mar 4, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
So this is it. The last week of the college basketball regular season and the end of the line for the BIG EAST conference as we’ve known it. The conference that has produced countless unforgettable games and a host of great NBA players will look vastly different next season, with Notre Dame still unsure about its whereabouts for the 2013-14 campaign.
After falling to Marquette on Saturday in Milwaukee, the Irish (10-6, 22-7 overall) find themselves tied with Syracuse for fifth in the BIG EAST standings. The Orange, of course, own the tiebreaker, thanks to their 63-47 win on Feb. 4.
On Tuesday, Notre Dame will host St. John’s in the final game at Purcell Pavilion of the 2012-13 season. The Irish will honor the class of 2013 – Mike Broghammer, Joey Brooks and Jack Cooley, along with graduate student Scott Martin in Senior Night festivities.
More importantly, they will look to avenge a January loss at St. John’s and pick up their 11th conference victory of the year.
The BIG EAST tournament begins a week from tomorrow at Madison Square Garden with Georgetown (13-3, 23-4) and Marquette (12-4, 21-7) already clinching a place in the quarterfinals. The Irish, meanwhile, are among the teams fighting for those two remaining byes.
Here’s a look at the standings and remaining matchups for each of the top six teams.
- Georgetown: 13-3, 23-4 – at Villanova (Mar. 6), vs. Syracuse (Mar. 9)
- Louisville: 12-4, 24-5 – vs. Cincinnati (Mar. 4), vs. Notre Dame (Mar. 9)
- Marquette: 12-4, 21-7 – at Rutgers (Mar. 5), at St. John’s (Mar. 9)
- Pittsburgh: 11-6, 23-7 – at DePaul (Mar. 9)
- Syracuse: 10-6, 22-7 – vs. DePaul (Mar. 6), at Georgetown (Mar. 9)
- Notre Dame: 10-6, 22-7 – vs. St John’s (Mar. 5), at Louisville (Mar. 9)
The Irish have an outside shot at being amongst the top four, but they will need some help, even if they win their remaining two games and 12-6. We’ll take a closer look at the scenarios after tomorrow’s games.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Join us Monday, Nov. 20th! 👠 Muffet McGraw Radio Show, presented by @Tire_Rack 📍 @ORourkes_Pub 🎥 @watchND 📻… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 33 minutes ago
- ICYMI: @Arike_O named to Wooden Award Preseason 🔝3️⃣0️⃣! https://t.co/8uEvfD4rGf 1 hour ago
- Thanks to our fans who brought in donations for Puerto Rico! ☘️♥️ https://t.co/BKJriy5CAr 20 hours ago
- RT @ncaawbb: One of the first calls that Jessica Shepard made when she found out that she was granted immediate eligibility at @NDwbb was t… 1 day ago
- Stop 2️⃣ of the 7️⃣ game road swing Corvallis ✈️ on Sunday! https://t.co/nhPUQb7DnA 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Great to be 3-0 and heading to Maui... Check out the HIGHLIGHTS from our win over Chicago State. https://t.co/emjxf7n5gx 13 hours ago
- ND 105 | Chicago State 66 FINAL Led by a career-high 23 pts from @Tempppp12 Irish 3-0 and heading to 🏝Maui🏝 https://t.co/4MgkyaNOJO 15 hours ago
- Irish looking smooth so far on ‘Rock the Mock’ Night... https://t.co/sF4qRHTuNs 16 hours ago
- 🔒Protect Purcell🔒 ☘️ vs Chicago State 👉🏀👈 tip 7 pm ET 📺 espn.com/watch/_/id/319… 📻 und.com/collegesportsl… https://t.co/GetPRtPOwb 17 hours ago
- Ready to get back on the floor tonight! https://t.co/96y3c3dyQr 1 day ago
- M. Basketball. Irish Roll In 105-66 Blowout Victory Over Chicago State
- Softball. Irish Softball Unveils 2018 Schedule
- W. Basketball. The Muffet McGraw Radio Show, Presented by TireRack.com, Returns Nov. 20
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Wraps Up Home Schedule Against UNC And NC State
- General News. Alex Mansour: Coming Through in the Clutch