Mar 4, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
So this is it. The last week of the college basketball regular season and the end of the line for the BIG EAST conference as we’ve known it. The conference that has produced countless unforgettable games and a host of great NBA players will look vastly different next season, with Notre Dame still unsure about its whereabouts for the 2013-14 campaign.
After falling to Marquette on Saturday in Milwaukee, the Irish (10-6, 22-7 overall) find themselves tied with Syracuse for fifth in the BIG EAST standings. The Orange, of course, own the tiebreaker, thanks to their 63-47 win on Feb. 4.
On Tuesday, Notre Dame will host St. John’s in the final game at Purcell Pavilion of the 2012-13 season. The Irish will honor the class of 2013 – Mike Broghammer, Joey Brooks and Jack Cooley, along with graduate student Scott Martin in Senior Night festivities.
More importantly, they will look to avenge a January loss at St. John’s and pick up their 11th conference victory of the year.
The BIG EAST tournament begins a week from tomorrow at Madison Square Garden with Georgetown (13-3, 23-4) and Marquette (12-4, 21-7) already clinching a place in the quarterfinals. The Irish, meanwhile, are among the teams fighting for those two remaining byes.
Here’s a look at the standings and remaining matchups for each of the top six teams.
- Georgetown: 13-3, 23-4 – at Villanova (Mar. 6), vs. Syracuse (Mar. 9)
- Louisville: 12-4, 24-5 – vs. Cincinnati (Mar. 4), vs. Notre Dame (Mar. 9)
- Marquette: 12-4, 21-7 – at Rutgers (Mar. 5), at St. John’s (Mar. 9)
- Pittsburgh: 11-6, 23-7 – at DePaul (Mar. 9)
- Syracuse: 10-6, 22-7 – vs. DePaul (Mar. 6), at Georgetown (Mar. 9)
- Notre Dame: 10-6, 22-7 – vs. St John’s (Mar. 5), at Louisville (Mar. 9)
The Irish have an outside shot at being amongst the top four, but they will need some help, even if they win their remaining two games and 12-6. We’ll take a closer look at the scenarios after tomorrow’s games.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- The @MuffetMcGraw Radio Show presented by @tire_rack is LIVE! Catch all the action now on Facebook! ⤵️ 🔗… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 18 hours ago
- The stage is set for another edition of the @MuffetMcGraw Radio Show starting at 6 pm ET. Tonight’s guests includ… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 19 hours ago
- When you average 2️⃣5️⃣ points and spearhead the largest comeback in program history, the @accwbb office comes 📞 C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 21 hours ago
- The @MuffetMcGraw Radio Show is back live at @ORourkes_Pub tonight at 6 p.m. ET. Come with an appetite and some q… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Want to hear all about our three-game, 3️⃣ win, homestand from @MuffetMcGraw? Join us TONIGHT for the Muffet McGr… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- You can always count on the FIGHT in Fighting Irish. Another battle to the end coming up in the next 20 minutes on… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Back on the 🛣 for an @accmbb 🤜💥🤛 battle vs #20 Clemson Starting 🖐 at 🐯 🕷 @MattyFarr3 👑 @rexpflueger 🔋… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Arrival ✅ Irish Tigers 4 pm ESPN https://t.co/9lXGi3zckz 2 days ago
- ☀️ is out in Carolina... ☘️ are ready to roll vs 🐯 🌅 4 pm ET | ESPN https://t.co/uXOXYd1iZN 3 days ago
- Putting our preparation to the test tomorrow. 4 pm | ESPN | at Clemson https://t.co/uXOXYd1iZN 3 days ago
- W. Soccer. Romagnolo Announces Resignation as Irish Women’s Soccer Coach
- W. Basketball. Ogunbowale Named ACC Player of the Week
- M. Lacrosse. Men's Lacrosse Announces Two Preseason Exhibitions
- W. Tennis. Season Outlook: Irish Combine Veteran Experience With Young Talent
- Baseball. Irish Baseball & Softball Season Tickets On Sale