Mar 4, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
So this is it. The last week of the college basketball regular season and the end of the line for the BIG EAST conference as we’ve known it. The conference that has produced countless unforgettable games and a host of great NBA players will look vastly different next season, with Notre Dame still unsure about its whereabouts for the 2013-14 campaign.
After falling to Marquette on Saturday in Milwaukee, the Irish (10-6, 22-7 overall) find themselves tied with Syracuse for fifth in the BIG EAST standings. The Orange, of course, own the tiebreaker, thanks to their 63-47 win on Feb. 4.
On Tuesday, Notre Dame will host St. John’s in the final game at Purcell Pavilion of the 2012-13 season. The Irish will honor the class of 2013 – Mike Broghammer, Joey Brooks and Jack Cooley, along with graduate student Scott Martin in Senior Night festivities.
More importantly, they will look to avenge a January loss at St. John’s and pick up their 11th conference victory of the year.
The BIG EAST tournament begins a week from tomorrow at Madison Square Garden with Georgetown (13-3, 23-4) and Marquette (12-4, 21-7) already clinching a place in the quarterfinals. The Irish, meanwhile, are among the teams fighting for those two remaining byes.
Here’s a look at the standings and remaining matchups for each of the top six teams.
- Georgetown: 13-3, 23-4 – at Villanova (Mar. 6), vs. Syracuse (Mar. 9)
- Louisville: 12-4, 24-5 – vs. Cincinnati (Mar. 4), vs. Notre Dame (Mar. 9)
- Marquette: 12-4, 21-7 – at Rutgers (Mar. 5), at St. John’s (Mar. 9)
- Pittsburgh: 11-6, 23-7 – at DePaul (Mar. 9)
- Syracuse: 10-6, 22-7 – vs. DePaul (Mar. 6), at Georgetown (Mar. 9)
- Notre Dame: 10-6, 22-7 – vs. St John’s (Mar. 5), at Louisville (Mar. 9)
The Irish have an outside shot at being amongst the top four, but they will need some help, even if they win their remaining two games and 12-6. We’ll take a closer look at the scenarios after tomorrow’s games.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- 🏀 6 guaranteed games. ❄️ Air conditioned courts. 👀 Less than 10 spots remain for Team Camp! ✍🏽️ Sign up today 👉… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- 📢We're screaming from the rooftop of Purcell! Happy Administrative Professionals Day to the incredible Sharla Lewi… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 20 hours ago
- "I love opportunities like this, to interact with kids & be out in the community." 👏🏽Great job, @NatAchon ('14)! ☘️ https://t.co/Z70gSDwybB 1 day ago
- Happy Birthday to our senior manager, Becca Moore! ✌🏼👩🏽✌🏼 #ShesFeeling22 🎉🎁 https://t.co/oXpWDuzyar 1 day ago
- RT @nyliberty: .@LA_Cruisen gives an update on Day 2️⃣ of camp @ndwbb 👇 https://t.co/pT9k4LYtzd 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- ND Day is live! Our @BonzieColson will be live in the 9 pm ET hour tonight. twitter.com/ndmbb/status/8… 3 days ago
- Our goal = send local kids to our summer camps You can help Vote for us during @ProudtobeND 💵 ▶️ camp costs 🗳️ ▶️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 days ago
- RT @NDBusiness: When you see a fellow Domer on #NationalHighFiveDay... ☘️ @NDmbb https://t.co/ShUwC44df6 6 days ago
- A look back at one of our top moments from 2016-17 - a steal and drive seals The Legends Classic Championship over… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 days ago
- Only returning @accmbb player w/1,200+ pts, 600+ rebs. @BonzieColson's return puts Irish in contention in 2017-18… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago