Mar 4, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
Both players have had a tremendous role in leading Notre Dame to 122 victories, more than in any other four-year span in school history, but few Fighting Irish athletes have ever impacted their program in the way that Diggins has since arriving on campus in 2009.
She nearly committed to Stanford, another giant among the elite in women’s college basketball, but instead, the 5’9″ point guard elected to stay in the shadow of Washington High School.
In leading the Irish to the national championship game in 2011, Diggins garnered the attention of many – including most notably, rapper Lil Wayne. Almost overnight, Diggins became the face of her sport.
Since that moment, Diggins’ celebrity status has been matched only by her play on the court. She helped the Irish return to the championship game in 2012, and this season, has played some of the best basketball of her career, leading the team to a 27-1 record and 22 straight victories.
Yesterday, the New York Times featured her in a great profile by Tim Rohan.
The beat dropped, a local legend grabbed the microphone, and the crowd went wild. Chris Brown’s “Look at Me Now” thumped through the room, and the D.J. shouted, “Do y’all want to hear some serious flow?”
Everyone turned to Skylar Diggins. She was excited. She loved the stage, and this was no easy rap she was going to do. It was Busta Rhymes’s fast, tongue-twisting verse, including the line “You ain’t never going to stop me.”
Diggins kept up. And when she was done, she dropped the microphone and walked offstage, the crowd still jamming.
Never mind that the D.J. was her little brother, or that the crowd was about 200 seventh, eighth and ninth graders at a party last May. Diggins, the star point guard at Notre Dame, was on top of her own world.
Check out the full article on the New York Times website.
Tune in tonight as Diggins looks to add one more moment to a memorable hometown career – helping the Irish complete a season sweep of Connecticut and earn their second consecutive BIG EAST regular season title (7 pm ET on ESPN2).
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- “Notre Dame is such a magical place. You can really feel the tradition when you walk around this campus.” -… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Catch @MuffetMcGraw on @ESPNUonSiriusXM 📻 at 11:15 am ET https://t.co/c7adM4MRGv 2 days ago
- ICYMI: @Arike_O & @mmabrey1 took over ACC Media Day 💯 https://t.co/EeVxmWiRGE 2 days ago
- That’s a wrap on #ACCMediaDay Back to the Bend! 🛩 https://t.co/y5UEOOhReL 3 days ago
- #Buckets 🏀 #ACCMediaDay https://t.co/ag7cKoC3sU 3 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Great to put on the uniforms and 🏀compete🏀 First step toward our goals this season. ND 97, Holy Cross College 57 (… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- That's a final. @Martin_Geben 20 pts, 11 rebs @rexpflueger 18 pts, 8 rebs https://t.co/S9zGoAjbF5 2 days ago
- A 21-0 run highlights the first half. Irish hold HCC to 24.2 FG% Colson 9 pts, 8 rebs Farrell 11 pts Geben 9 pts, 6… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Ready to go in Purcell! Follow @NDmbbSID for regular score updates tonight. Text IRISH to 91999 to help with… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Happy Birthday or su gimtadieniu (in Lithuanian) to our #23! https://t.co/MhKe8dilsh 2 days ago
- W. Rowing. Championship Eight, Four Compete At Head Of The Charles
- W. Volleyball. Irish Stun Miami In Incredible 3-2 Comeback Victory
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In ITA Midwest Regional Quarterfinal
- Football. Replay: Trojans No Match for Physical Irish
- M. Golf. Irish to Compete in Final Fall Tournament