Feb 24, 2013, 5:07 PM EST
Given a few days to recover after Monday’s comeback at Pittsburgh, the #25 Notre Dame men’s basketball team returned to the friendly confines of Purcell Pavilion on Sunday afternoon against Cincinnati. For the first time in a long time, an Irish victory was never in doubt.
Notre Dame jumped out to a 19-6 lead, and held the Bearcats to just one basket over a span of ten minutes during the first half. After Cincinnati trimmed a 19-point deficit to just nine midway through the second, the Irish went on an 11-2 run in less than three minutes, putting the game out of reach on the way to a 62-41 victory.
Once again, Notre Dame dominated the game on the glass, outrebounding the Bearcats, 43-27. Zach Auguste pulled down a career-high nine rebounds in 12 minutes off the bench.
With the win, Notre Dame improved to 22-6 on the season and 10-5 in BIG EAST play. It marks the fourth straight season in which the team has registered at least 10 conference wins, setting a new program record.
Additionally, Cincinnati’s 41 points are the fewest Notre Dame has ever allowed against a BIG EAST opponent, breaking the mark tied…just six days ago in Pittsburgh (42 points).
The Fighting Irish return to the floor on Saturday at Marquette (2 pm ET).
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NotreDame: The @WhiteHouse issues a statement on Fr. Ted's passing. http://t.co/me7g5l8334 40 minutes ago
- RT @NCAA: We mourn the passing of former Notre Dame president & first NCAA Ford Award recipient Father Theodore Hesburgh. http://t.co/8aFvz… 7 hours ago
- Article by @RalloIrishExtra says @kish12123 had the "Wright" stuff for @ndwbb 87-59 Senior Night win over Pittsburgh: und.com/sports/w-baskb… 7 hours ago
- RT @JimmyClausen: Very sad day for the Notre Dame family, as we have lost the great Fr Hesburgh. Prayers are with the Hesburgh family #… 11 hours ago
- RT @HannahStormESPN: So sad to hear of the passing of one of the greatest men to ever grace this planet, Father Ted Hesburgh @NotreDame 12 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDMikeBrey: God, Country, Notre Dame... RIP Fr. Ted http://t.co/sots37G65T 9 hours ago
- Ever want to be part of ND Hoops, but you lacked the jump shot? Go inside our squad on the SHOWTIME special, HOOPS•U http://t.co/yNfdaMySmQ 1 day ago
- This will make a lot more sense after you read the #WaPo article on Jerian & his bros. READ: washingtonpost.com/sports/for-hoo… http://t.co/uFozQewaQ3 1 day ago
- DYK: There are only 2 players in America that average 7 rebounds & 2 3-pointers/game ... Pat is one. (HT @JB_Long) http://t.co/G0S1ZVNJ1X 1 day ago
- You can officially add "Oscar Robertson Trophy" (USBWA POY) to Jerian's outstanding collegiate resume. #WhatsNext http://t.co/S8lv40VwCw 1 day ago
- W. Tennis. Depth Lifts No. 26 Irish Over Syracuse, 5-2
- Baseball. Irish Score Four Runs Late To Best Belmont, 6-4
- M. Lacrosse. Fighting Irish Place Four On Tewaaraton Award Watch List
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Markisha Sets Wright Tone On Senior Night
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame's Balanced Attack To Battle The Big Green