Feb 19, 2013, 3:54 PM EST
The Fighting Irish (24-1, 12-0 BIG EAST) have had a dominant season to say the least. They are currently ranked second in the NCAA behind only Brittney Griner and the Lady Bears of Baylor. Their nearly flawless record is one telling number, but how do their other statistics line up against their toughest opponents?
To start, the Notre Dame women are averaging 80.7 points per game (through 25 games), good for third place behind Connecticut (83.0) and Baylor (81.7). Their scoring defense, 55.8 ppg, doesn’t crack the top 10 this year, but when coupled with their super productive offense, it gives them a scoring margin of +24.9, which is fourth best in the country.
Many of Notre Dame’s totals in the other standard statistics (e.g. field goal percentage, assists per game) are on par with Connecticut and Baylor, but there are couple of areas where the Fighting Irish stand out.
The Notre Dame women are second, nationally, in free throw percentage, with 79.6% made, behind Utah State (80.4%), and none of the other top five teams in the country even crack the top 25 for this statistic. This discrepancy balances out Notre Dame’s lower three-point total, but it seems a smart strategy to take the easy, uncontested shots rather than the low-percentage shots from beyond the arc.
The other stat that the Irish have over Baylor and Connecticut (and most other teams in the NCAA) is rebound margin. With 43.3 rebounds per game and 31.5 opponent rebounds per game, they have a +11.8 margin. Combining that with a positive turnover margin gives the Fighting Irish more opportunities than their opponents to take shots, and when those shots go in with a higher percentage than most teams, you get a +24.9 scoring margin and a number two rank.
The Notre Dame women defeated Marquette this past Sunday, to win their 19th straight game (last time they lost was Dec. 5). They will travel to Chicago next Sunday to take on DePaul for another BIG EAST matchup. On the horizon is their Mar. 4 rematch against the Connecticut Huskies in the final game of the regular season.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Only a few days left to bin on customizable warm-up shirts to be worn in honor of loved ones @ Pink Zone Game! BID… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 minutes ago
- RT @ndwbb: Honor your loved one by having the Irish don a customizable warm-up shirt at our Pink Zone Game, Feb 12th! Bid NOW: https://t.c… 22 hours ago
- 💥Top Moments from the win over Boston College Thursday night! 💥 youtu.be/LAqR8ypGYjc 23 hours ago
- 31-15 third quarter, including 11-0 run, leads Notre Dame to 80-69 victory over Boston College! 📸 by Kevin Sabitus… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Irish win 80-69! Marina Mabrey leads Notre Dame with 21 points, her 3rd 20-points game of the season. Brianna Turne… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: 3x @NDmbb Captain 1st Round @NBA Draft Pick 2017 Ring of Honor Inductee David Rivers met the team before Saturday's Rin… 14 hours ago
- Trust. Belief. Freedom to play. ☘Irish Basketball☘ #LevelUp 👉 cbssports.com/college-basket… https://t.co/YEuenBLhjN 21 hours ago
- A.T. back for 2017-18! twitter.com/austin_torres0… 1 day ago
- Seems like ⏳forever⏳, hey @LepLegion? See you at ☀️High Noon☀️ on Saturday! https://t.co/tzDJ5eWA6S 1 day ago
- Great fight. Great edge right to the end. Still in first place and HEADING HOME! https://t.co/HWKqPpslUs 2 days ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Wegwerth's Third Period Tally Lifts Irish To Overtime Tie
- Swimming & Diving. Notre Dame Falls To Top-25 Louisville
- M. Tennis. Irish Defeat Cardinals 7-0 In Season Lid-Lifter
- Track. Keys To The Meet: Notre Dame Invitational
- W. Soccer. Romagnolo Adds Norman ('07) To Women's Soccer Coaching Staff