Feb 15, 2013, 1:37 PM EDT
As students’ families arrive on campus for Junior Parents Weekend, many Fighting Irish teams are hitting the road. The #21 Notre Dame men’s basketball squad is no exception, as the team gets ready for an important Saturday-Monday BIG EAST swing trip.
The Irish will travel to New England later this evening, in preparation for tomorrow’s game against Providence at noon ET at the Dunkin Donuts Center (BIG EAST Network/ESPN3), before heading to the Steel City for a Monday night matchup with #16 Pittsburgh (7 pm ET on ESPN).
At 8-4 in conference play, Notre Dame is currently in a three-way tie with Louisville and Pittsburgh for fourth place. Ahead of them? Three teams knotted for first – Syracuse, Georgetown and Marquette, all at 8-3.
Following a loss to the Orange two Mondays ago, the Irish responded with back-to-back overtime wins. First, the 5-OT epic versus the Cardinals, and then on Wednesday, an 82-78 win against DePaul. Fortunately, that one only took one extra period.
Still, it has made for a long week, and at this point, head coach Mike Brey and his team are taking advantage of every opportunity to keep their legs fresh.
Given the grueling nature of the BIG EAST schedule, it’s a survive-and-advance kind of attitude night in and night out. At this point in the 2012-13 season, there are six games remaining – four on the road and two at Purcell Pavilion. Of those road trips, three games will be against teams currently ranked in the top-25.
If Notre Dame can steal a couple of those away games, and protect the home court against Cincinnati and St. John’s, the Irish may find themselves in position to earn a coveted double-by for next month’s BIG EAST tournament in New York.
It all starts on Saturday at noon against the Friars. Former Irish laxer Eamon McAnaney (’91) and Bob Wenzel will be on the call. If you can’t catch the game on ESPN3 or the BIG EAST Network, tune into the radio broadcast on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- The work has already begun, but official practice starts on Tuesday! #weready 🍀🏀🍀 http://t.co/gkfqMGYOth 1 day ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: 1st/2nd rounds for upcoming season now set for March 19-22 … regionals March 26-29 … Final Four remains April 3 & 5 https… 2 days ago
- Great start to the morning! @MuffetMcGraw was the opening speaker at the South Bend Women's Leadership Conference! http://t.co/md0sIwwE0z 2 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏀2 @ndwbb Alums 🏆1 WNBA Title It's Devereaux Peters' Lynx vs. Natalie Achonwa's Fever in the WNBA Finals #Rockstars ht… 2 days ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: .@ndwbb only school w/ players on BOTH @WNBA Finals teams … both also All-America posts at ND & 1st-rd draft picks! https… 4 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- He's the pride of Ft Wayne, Indiana... Prepare for big things from VJ Beachem. ...he's just getting started. http://t.co/3Ba0ISB8BV 1 day ago
- RT @NDMikeBrey: Speaking at the 50th yr of Coach Wootten's coaches clinic. 1st coaches clinic ever established, what an honor! http://t.co/… 1 day ago
- Since he arrived here in 2000 he has given us his all on the court & on the radio. Show us your RINGS Torrian Jones! http://t.co/IZrYgkbwA4 2 days ago
- RT @franfraschilla: Is that you there, @Matt_Ryan04? RT @NDmbb: The work doesn't stop when no one's watching... #NotDoneYet http://t.co/Lt… 3 days ago
- Tuesday, Coach Brey took to Capitol Hill to lobby on behalf of the @AmericanCancer & meet with @SenDonnelly. http://t.co/cjxDjFEG4h 4 days ago
- M. Tennis. Covalschi Advances At ITA All-American Championships
- W. Tennis. Robinson Advances At ITA All-American Championships
- M. Soccer. Keys To The Game: North Carolina State
- Cross Country. Irish Extra: Piane Invitational Becomes Top Early-Season Meet
- W. Soccer. #14/4 Irish Stunned By Miami In 2OT, 1-0