Feb 15, 2013, 1:37 PM EST
As students’ families arrive on campus for Junior Parents Weekend, many Fighting Irish teams are hitting the road. The #21 Notre Dame men’s basketball squad is no exception, as the team gets ready for an important Saturday-Monday BIG EAST swing trip.
The Irish will travel to New England later this evening, in preparation for tomorrow’s game against Providence at noon ET at the Dunkin Donuts Center (BIG EAST Network/ESPN3), before heading to the Steel City for a Monday night matchup with #16 Pittsburgh (7 pm ET on ESPN).
At 8-4 in conference play, Notre Dame is currently in a three-way tie with Louisville and Pittsburgh for fourth place. Ahead of them? Three teams knotted for first – Syracuse, Georgetown and Marquette, all at 8-3.
Following a loss to the Orange two Mondays ago, the Irish responded with back-to-back overtime wins. First, the 5-OT epic versus the Cardinals, and then on Wednesday, an 82-78 win against DePaul. Fortunately, that one only took one extra period.
Still, it has made for a long week, and at this point, head coach Mike Brey and his team are taking advantage of every opportunity to keep their legs fresh.
Given the grueling nature of the BIG EAST schedule, it’s a survive-and-advance kind of attitude night in and night out. At this point in the 2012-13 season, there are six games remaining – four on the road and two at Purcell Pavilion. Of those road trips, three games will be against teams currently ranked in the top-25.
If Notre Dame can steal a couple of those away games, and protect the home court against Cincinnati and St. John’s, the Irish may find themselves in position to earn a coveted double-by for next month’s BIG EAST tournament in New York.
It all starts on Saturday at noon against the Friars. Former Irish laxer Eamon McAnaney (’91) and Bob Wenzel will be on the call. If you can’t catch the game on ESPN3 or the BIG EAST Network, tune into the radio broadcast on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Congrats @_Breezy_Briii @jloyd32 for making 1st team All ACC and also Bri on the All Freshmen team🍀 http://t.co/VVnDG43s3H 14 hours ago
- ACC Regular Season Champs! 4th straight conference championships- first time in program history!🍀 http://t.co/RjWoSsfrlL 14 hours ago
- #NDWBB junior, @jloyd32, & frosh, @_Breezy_Briii, named to 10-player All-@accwbb first team! Bri was also named to the All-Freshman team!🍀🏀🏆 19 hours ago
- RT @ruthriley00: Congrats to @ndwbb players @jloyd32 & @_Breezy_Briii on their 1st All @accwbb selection!! 👏👏👏 19 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: Congrats to @ndwbb's ACC honorees - @jloyd32 (All-ACC 1st tm) & @Breezy_Briii (All-ACC-1st tm/All-ACC Freshman tm): http:… 19 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- We get back on the court tonight with heavy hearts... #12 ND at #16 UL 7pm - ESPN2 http://t.co/YV1wbC95Im 49 minutes ago
- RT @IWilliams95: “@NoaClair: @IWilliams95 who u going for in March madness?!?” My #FightingIrish @NDmbb ! 11 hours ago
- Send off the Seniors on Saturday! Tickets are available for our final game of the season at Purcell Pavilion. INFO: UND.com/BuyTickets 14 hours ago
- Coach Brey recalls some of his memories of Fr. Hesburgh during his tenure at @NotreDame. Take a look: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/Vsaj… 18 hours ago
- Our guys are ready to get back on the court on Wednesday night. Let's continue this magical season #together. http://t.co/v6vpd84aGs 21 hours ago
- Baseball. Around The Bases With Notre Dame Baseball
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Extra: Hockey Seniors Ready for Final Playoff Push
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Extra: Johnson Provides Veteran Hockey Presence on Defense and in Community
- M. Ice Hockey. Petersen Named Hockey East Goaltender of the Month
- M. Basketball. #12/11 Notre Dame Visits #16/14 Louisville On Wednesday