Feb 15, 2013, 1:37 PM EDT
As students’ families arrive on campus for Junior Parents Weekend, many Fighting Irish teams are hitting the road. The #21 Notre Dame men’s basketball squad is no exception, as the team gets ready for an important Saturday-Monday BIG EAST swing trip.
The Irish will travel to New England later this evening, in preparation for tomorrow’s game against Providence at noon ET at the Dunkin Donuts Center (BIG EAST Network/ESPN3), before heading to the Steel City for a Monday night matchup with #16 Pittsburgh (7 pm ET on ESPN).
At 8-4 in conference play, Notre Dame is currently in a three-way tie with Louisville and Pittsburgh for fourth place. Ahead of them? Three teams knotted for first – Syracuse, Georgetown and Marquette, all at 8-3.
Following a loss to the Orange two Mondays ago, the Irish responded with back-to-back overtime wins. First, the 5-OT epic versus the Cardinals, and then on Wednesday, an 82-78 win against DePaul. Fortunately, that one only took one extra period.
Still, it has made for a long week, and at this point, head coach Mike Brey and his team are taking advantage of every opportunity to keep their legs fresh.
Given the grueling nature of the BIG EAST schedule, it’s a survive-and-advance kind of attitude night in and night out. At this point in the 2012-13 season, there are six games remaining – four on the road and two at Purcell Pavilion. Of those road trips, three games will be against teams currently ranked in the top-25.
If Notre Dame can steal a couple of those away games, and protect the home court against Cincinnati and St. John’s, the Irish may find themselves in position to earn a coveted double-by for next month’s BIG EAST tournament in New York.
It all starts on Saturday at noon against the Friars. Former Irish laxer Eamon McAnaney (’91) and Bob Wenzel will be on the call. If you can’t catch the game on ESPN3 or the BIG EAST Network, tune into the radio broadcast on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- #FormationFridays 🍀🏀 https://t.co/btcCd4dQuj 1 hour ago
- Our ☘️ fans will recognize those lime green shirts anywhere, even @WaltDisneyWorld!! ☘️🏀 twitter.com/johnlammer5/st… 19 hours ago
- #LoveTheeNotreDameThursday 💁🏽💅🏼👌🏾 Getting ready for #FlawlessFriday ☘️🏀 https://t.co/5opDvskuMc 23 hours ago
- Get your 🎫 NOW! 💻 und.com/buytickets 📞 (574)631-7356 🍀🏀 https://t.co/eag0Cp7cUo 1 day ago
- The team spent Tuesday w/ @KPMG Managing Partner, Tim Zanni ('82), at a career development workshop. RECAP: und.com/sports/w-baskb… 🍀🏀 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- 🎂🎉 Happy Birthday to our Lithuanian Big Man! 🎉🎂 Have a great day Marty! https://t.co/8LUCtEP9Jm 18 hours ago
- 🚨🚨 Watch List Alert 🚨🚨 @VjBeachem 1 of 20 to watch for the Julius Erving Award (top small forward) https://t.co/YgjYqnTiBW 1 day ago
- The scrimmage is over... but @VjBeachem's pull up is still smoooooth. https://t.co/HyukxfoyiT 2 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘ THE CHAMP IS BACK! 4x @NCAA Champ & ND grad Molly Seidel returns to @NDXCTF for her final year of eligibility. ➡️htt… 2 days ago
- Media Day over... now it's game time! Scrimmage starts now. https://t.co/2NQBULYzKm 2 days ago
- W. Soccer. Double Overtime Not Enough To Break Scoreless Tie Between #14 Irish, #25 Hokies
- M. Tennis. Kempin Advances To Final Qualifying Round At ITA Regional
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Announces Partnership With Stayer Center
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Takes on Pitt and Virginia Tech in Upcoming Road Trip
- M. Soccer. #4 Irish At Duke Looking For ACC Rebound