Feb 15, 2013, 1:37 PM EST
As students’ families arrive on campus for Junior Parents Weekend, many Fighting Irish teams are hitting the road. The #21 Notre Dame men’s basketball squad is no exception, as the team gets ready for an important Saturday-Monday BIG EAST swing trip.
The Irish will travel to New England later this evening, in preparation for tomorrow’s game against Providence at noon ET at the Dunkin Donuts Center (BIG EAST Network/ESPN3), before heading to the Steel City for a Monday night matchup with #16 Pittsburgh (7 pm ET on ESPN).
At 8-4 in conference play, Notre Dame is currently in a three-way tie with Louisville and Pittsburgh for fourth place. Ahead of them? Three teams knotted for first – Syracuse, Georgetown and Marquette, all at 8-3.
Following a loss to the Orange two Mondays ago, the Irish responded with back-to-back overtime wins. First, the 5-OT epic versus the Cardinals, and then on Wednesday, an 82-78 win against DePaul. Fortunately, that one only took one extra period.
Still, it has made for a long week, and at this point, head coach Mike Brey and his team are taking advantage of every opportunity to keep their legs fresh.
Given the grueling nature of the BIG EAST schedule, it’s a survive-and-advance kind of attitude night in and night out. At this point in the 2012-13 season, there are six games remaining – four on the road and two at Purcell Pavilion. Of those road trips, three games will be against teams currently ranked in the top-25.
If Notre Dame can steal a couple of those away games, and protect the home court against Cincinnati and St. John’s, the Irish may find themselves in position to earn a coveted double-by for next month’s BIG EAST tournament in New York.
It all starts on Saturday at noon against the Friars. Former Irish laxer Eamon McAnaney (’91) and Bob Wenzel will be on the call. If you can’t catch the game on ESPN3 or the BIG EAST Network, tune into the radio broadcast on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- 💥@Final home game of the regular season for Lindsay Allen on Sunday. 🗳 Vote TODAY! 👉🏽 seniorclassaward.com (An… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- 🍀 Packed House 🍀 🌟 Bright Lights 🌟 📺 ESPN2 📺 #GameOn https://t.co/oRgQCmaffY 10 hours ago
- RT @ndwbb: Sell. Out. Sunday. 1pm ET • ESPN2 #GameOn https://t.co/YgjIEqAXpO 1 day ago
- Sell. Out. Sunday. 1pm ET • ESPN2 #GameOn https://t.co/YgjIEqAXpO 1 day ago
- 🍀🏀 2017 signee Danielle Patterson named to @McDAAG & @JordanClassic All Star Games!! 🎉 Congrats, @d_patterson33! https://t.co/l3jVm8UPu0 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Just TWO more home games with @VjBeachem One of his 🖋 signature moves ⬇️ Close out too far and V will go baseline o… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 11 hours ago
- TWO more home games with Steve Vasturia. Safe to say the rest of the ACC will not miss him... https://t.co/dq1nvyCDP0 1 day ago
- Best win streak in @accmbb = 4⃣-way tie for 2nd with 3⃣ to go. Right where we want to be. A few BC 🎟️ left 👉… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏀 Which NBA legend does @NDmbb's Elijah Burns want to meet? Get to know Elijah on Inside ND Basketball. 📺https://t.co/… 3 days ago
- Pledge to be part of the #CvC3ptChallenge! Every 'Got It!' fm @NDJackNolan = 💵 ➡️ @CoachesvsCancer Some throw back… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago