Feb 13, 2013, 2:36 PM EDT
Notre Dame welcomed three talented and promising freshmen to the squad this year. These three players look to build on the success of recent Irish squads and leave a mark of their own. Irish UNDerground blogger Lauren Chval sat down to get to know the second of the trio, forward Zach Auguste.
Why did you want to come to Notre Dame?
“I felt like it was the right fit. I had a good relationship with the coaching staff. When I came on my visit, I felt comfortable with the team. It was just a great all around experience.”
Who did you stay with during your campus visit?
What was it like to experience this football season as a freshman?
“The season was definitely a surprise for me. On my visit I came to a football game. Just the crowd and the experience overall was great.”
Which game did you come for on your recruiting visit?
“USC. Even though Notre Dame had some bad luck then…”
What are you planning on majoring in?
“At first I was thinking about business, but I might switch to major in sociology.”
What do you do with your teammates when you’re not playing basketball?
“We’ll sing together, we’ll rap together. We’ll just hang out.”
Who is the best rapper on the team?
What dorm do you live in?
What is it like to live on campus as an athlete?
“It’s weird, because you usually room with your teammates, but I adjusted easily. It’s nice. You definitely have a different experience and get to see what other students are about.”
What is your roommate like?
“He’s real cool. A lot of people make fun of us because I’m 6’10 and he’s like 5’6. He’s from Puerto Rico, so it’s nice to see a different culture and experience different things.”
What has been your favorite part of your freshman year so far?
What was the best part of Frosh-O?
“The best thing was the dance in Stepan. That was wild, because me, Cam, and Austin were just having a lot of fun.”
What was the worst part?
“Definitely the serenading. That was a little bit too much. And we had to run around the campus in T-shirts with swords and all kind of stuff.”
Where is somewhere on campus you visit a lot?
What is a goal you have set for yourself during your time at Notre Dame?
“Definitely win a championship here. First and foremost that.”
What is your relationship with your fellow freshmen?
“Me and Cam are definitely the clowns, and Austin’s the one who keeps us in check.”
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @WatchND: We will have much more coverage from @ndwbb's victory over Baylor over next 24 hours. 1 hour ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏁 | Indy 🗻 | Denver 🎭 | New Orleans 🎸 | Nashville 🐬 | Tampa Bay #FiveStraightFours for @ndwbb 10 hours ago
- Back to ND & back to business! 8am classes for our student-athletes. 100% Graduation Success Rate for a reason! 🎓📚🍀 Student.Athlete.Irish. 10 hours ago
- RT @UAbasketball: "This group just never quits." - @MuffetMcGraw @ndwbb in the National Semifinal for the 5th straight year. http://t.co/h… 12 hours ago
- Headed to our 5th STRAIGHT Final Four! Thank you to everyone for the support, see you in Tampa! 🍀🏀🙌🏆 http://t.co/2DRf6Xs3Eb 13 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- The honors keep rolling in for "J" Congrats on being named an NABC First-Team All-American. #NotDoneYet http://t.co/866f2jHri1 1 hour ago
- Props to opponents UK, MSU & Duke on making Final 4 (3-2 record vs them). Thanks for all the great games this year! http://t.co/AL1oAAIdes 17 hours ago
- RT @MIND2424: It was truly an honor! Gonna miss these 2! Forever IRISH! 🍀 http://t.co/HYguLkaAFi 18 hours ago
- RT @Matt_Ryan32: We'll be back, trust me. #WeAreND 🍀@NDmbb 18 hours ago
- RT @DavidtheAdmiral: Incredible run by @NDmbb Congrats on a great year. Left it all out there. Bright future for Irish hoops. #GoIrish 18 hours ago
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #2 Notre Dame 77, #5/6 Baylor 69 (NCAA Championship - Oklahoma City Regional Final)
- W. Basketball. Baylor vs. Notre Dame Postgame Quotes
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Headed To Fifth Straight Final Four After Downing #5/6 Baylor, 77-68
- W. Lacrosse. No. 17 Notre Dame Clipped By No. 3 UNC 9-8
- M. Basketball. Commentary: A Shiny Time for Irish Men's Hoops Program