Feb 13, 2013, 2:36 PM EDT
Notre Dame welcomed three talented and promising freshmen to the squad this year. These three players look to build on the success of recent Irish squads and leave a mark of their own. Irish UNDerground blogger Lauren Chval sat down to get to know the second of the trio, forward Zach Auguste.
Why did you want to come to Notre Dame?
“I felt like it was the right fit. I had a good relationship with the coaching staff. When I came on my visit, I felt comfortable with the team. It was just a great all around experience.”
Who did you stay with during your campus visit?
What was it like to experience this football season as a freshman?
“The season was definitely a surprise for me. On my visit I came to a football game. Just the crowd and the experience overall was great.”
Which game did you come for on your recruiting visit?
“USC. Even though Notre Dame had some bad luck then…”
What are you planning on majoring in?
“At first I was thinking about business, but I might switch to major in sociology.”
What do you do with your teammates when you’re not playing basketball?
“We’ll sing together, we’ll rap together. We’ll just hang out.”
Who is the best rapper on the team?
What dorm do you live in?
What is it like to live on campus as an athlete?
“It’s weird, because you usually room with your teammates, but I adjusted easily. It’s nice. You definitely have a different experience and get to see what other students are about.”
What is your roommate like?
“He’s real cool. A lot of people make fun of us because I’m 6’10 and he’s like 5’6. He’s from Puerto Rico, so it’s nice to see a different culture and experience different things.”
What has been your favorite part of your freshman year so far?
What was the best part of Frosh-O?
“The best thing was the dance in Stepan. That was wild, because me, Cam, and Austin were just having a lot of fun.”
What was the worst part?
“Definitely the serenading. That was a little bit too much. And we had to run around the campus in T-shirts with swords and all kind of stuff.”
Where is somewhere on campus you visit a lot?
What is a goal you have set for yourself during your time at Notre Dame?
“Definitely win a championship here. First and foremost that.”
What is your relationship with your fellow freshmen?
“Me and Cam are definitely the clowns, and Austin’s the one who keeps us in check.”
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- That @JShepard32 basketball IQ... 📈 #IrishInTheWNBA #GoIrish twitter.com/minnesotalynx/… 5 hours ago
- "Winning is about having the whole team on the same page." Our coaching staff welcomed @BillWalton to the new home… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 9 hours ago
- Welcome the newest member of our family, Marta Sniezek. The fifth-year transfer from Stanford will be eligible to… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 12 hours ago
- “Ceiling breakers can become the new normal.” Coach @MuffetMcGraw presented a #Gracies award to the first female… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 13 hours ago
- RT @MuffetMcGraw: Out in California for the Gracie awards and stopped by LA sparks practice to see one of our 5 WNBA draftees. Always fun… 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- 1-0 in the Eastern Conference Finals with the @Bucks 8-1 in the @NBA Playoffs Putting up 7+ ppg and 7+ rpg in the p… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 days ago
- To all the Moms, Thanks for ... The daily support. The help with homework. The life lessons. The rides to practic… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- RT @FightingIrish: In 1904, former @NDFootball quarterback and coach Frank Hering was inspired to create a national Mother’s Day. This #Mo… 1 week ago
- *DAILY-ish PAT UPDATE* On the back of a 7-point, 11-rebound performance, @pconnaughton helps the @Bucks reach the… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 weeks ago
- RT @NDmbb: PLAYOFF PAT. A near double-double from @pconnaughton (9 points, 10 rebounds) helps push the @Bucks to the verge of the Eastern… 2 weeks ago