Feb 10, 2013, 2:14 PM EST
If you watched last night’s epic battle between Notre Dame and Louisville, you’re probably still trying to wrap your head around what happened at Purcell Pavilion.
This game was over. Notre Dame was about to do the unthinkable – lose at home for the third time this season.
But then, the Irish did the improbable, rallying from eight points down with under a minute to play, before defeating the #11 Cardinals in five overtimes, 104-101.
It was the fifth time in the last six meetings that the teams went to overtime, and the seventh in 11 matchups since the Cardinals joined the BIG EAST in 2005. It was also the longest regular season game in conference history.
Here’s a closer look at some of the crazy facts and statistics from the big win:
- After Cam Biedscheid tied the game at 37 with a jumper with 11:30 to play, the Irish went more than ten minutes without a basket, until Pat Connaughton‘s layup with 1:09 remaining.
- Jerian Grant hadn’t made a field goal all game, before hitting a tough three with 44.2 seconds remaining. He scored 12 points in those final 45 seconds, turning a seemingly insurmountable eight-point deficit into a tie game.
- Three of Notre Dame’s five starters fouled out – Jack Cooley picked up his fifth with 6:54 left in the second half, Tom Knight with 51 seconds to play, and Jerian Grant headed to the bench with 1:57 remaining in the first overtime.
- Garrick Sherman didn’t see the floor until Grant left the game, but ended up being one of the heroes of the night. Sherman finished with 17 points in 22 minutes, and scored the post-game interview with ESPN.
- He didn’t even start the game, but Biedscheid was one of six players to log at least 50 minutes.
- Eric Atkins played 60 minutes, tying the Notre Dame record set by Chris Thomas in 2002.
- Six Irish players finished in double figures (Grant – 19, Sherman – 17, Connaughton – 16, Biedscheid – 14, Atkins – 14, Cooley – 11) and two logged double-doubles (Connaughton – 16 points, 14 rebounds; Cooley – 11 points, 11 rebounds).
- The teams committed 66 fouls and eight players fouled out.
- They combined for 97 free throws and 158 shots from the field.
- The game was tied 16 times and there were 26 lead changes.
- Both teams finished the game with 54 rebounds.
- Both teams attempted 25 three-pointers.
- There were 70 points scored off the bench – 39 for the Irish and 31 by the Cardinals.
- John Gaffney officiated 105 minutes of basketball on Saturday. He refereed the Marquette – DePaul game in Milwaukee, and then drove to South Bend after being called upon as a replacement, due to the winter storm affecting the northeast.
For more on the epic night, check out the game recap on UND.com, as well as my Instant Classic blog post, which includes the highlights from Fighting Irish Digital Media, as well as post-game reaction from Dick Vitale and Dan Shulman.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Full release now available! twitter.com/ndsidmasters/s… 4 hours ago
- Some great news to round out the week ... Coach @MuffetMcGraw named a finalist for the @Hoophall Class of 2016. https://t.co/O7u91QQdds 9 hours ago
- The fun has begun! Come SPIN for a great cause anytime now through midnight! #NDWBBPinkZone twitter.com/NDRecsports/st… 11 hours ago
- https://t.co/PuijMp1AUw 14 hours ago
- "The Lord can heal your heart if you believe" -Ingrid Williams Thoughts and prayers for Monty Williams & his family https://t.co/BJyDwdtQbQ 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- 😎4th STRAIGHT SELLOUT You ready for another HYPE crowd vs Louisville? WE NEED YOU! 🏀ND|UL 📅Saturday ⏰4pm 📺ESPN2 https://t.co/941spKVPru 3 hours ago
- We had a couple visitors you may remember at practice earlier ... Welcome back, EA, Jerian & Pat! https://t.co/mkAk6xekcu 6 hours ago
- In 2+ years in ACC... 🏀31 WINS vs ACC 🛣9-1 (in last 10) vs TOBACCO ROAD 🏆1 TITLE READ MORE: cbssports.com/collegebasketb… https://t.co/eClkW3ZKwn 8 hours ago
- RETWEET FOR CHANCE TO WIN One of the awesome shirts @LepLegion wore during our win over UNC. https://t.co/jIM3BdXlkr 11 hours ago
- Long after practice & lift is over, our Cousy Award finalist is still getting shots up in an empty Purcell Pavilion. https://t.co/pKF84QEtBm 1 day ago
- W. Rowing. State Of The Art Boathouse Is A Game Changer For Irish Rowing
- W. Basketball. Muffet McGraw Named Finalist For Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame
- Football. Ten Former Irish Players Invited To NFL Scouting Combine
- Football. One Shirt One Body: Maybe Robinson's Best Act Yet
- M. Basketball. Irish Return Home To Face #13 Cardinals