Feb 10, 2013, 3:56 AM EST
Coming into Saturday’s matchup, Notre Dame and Louisville had gone to overtime in six of their past ten meetings.
Alright, but the law of averages probably tells us we’re due for an uneventful finish, right?
After Notre Dame senior Casey Murdock hit a half-court shot during College GameDay, host Rece Davis ended the show saying, “What kind of omen could this be for tonight?”
Sure, but should we really expect something more dramatic than an $18,000 heave?
A couple hours before tipoff, a few of us got into a conversation in the office about the crazy ending to the 2005 Illinois – Arizona game, where the Illini rallied from a 15-point deficit with four minutes to play.
Ok, but even as I watched the highlights on YouTube, the thought didn’t cross my mind. There was no way the Irish and Cardinals could have a wilder finish, even if Jay Bilas was in the building, like he was eight years ago at Allstate Arena.
Along with many others in the sellout Purcell Pavilion crowd, I was just hoping for a Notre Dame victory. I didn’t care how it was delivered.
For much of the evening, there was nothing too memorable about the hard-fought battle. It looked like a typical BIG EAST game.
With just under seven minutes to play and the outcome still hanging in the balance, our hopes for an upset took a major blow, when Jack Cooley fouled out on what appeared to be a very questionable call.
Notre Dame stuck around, and trailed by just four with 2:30 to play, but without their leading scorer on the floor, the game began to slip away from the Irish, and disappointed fans started heading for the exits.
That was, at least, until Jerian Grant channeled a bit of Reggie Miller magic. While it wasn’t quite Miller’s famous scoring spree against the Knicks in the ’95 playoffs, Grant’s performance in the final minute of regulation was absolutely spectacular – one of the most amazing feats I think any of us will ever witness on a basketball court.
Having not made a field goal all night, Grant hit three three-pointers, and converted a three-point play, scoring 12 points over the final 45 seconds of regulation, and turning a 56-48 deficit into a game knotted at 60.
Notre Dame and Louisville, headed back to overtime. Typical.
Somehow, that was just the beginning.
Eighty-five points and five overtimes later, the #25 Irish celebrated an improbable 104-101 win over the #11 Cardinals in the longest game in BIG EAST regular season history.
We’ll have more to come on the special night in South Bend, but for now, here are Fighting Irish Digital Media’s highlights, as well as the post-game coverage from ESPN.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- '16 @ndwbb Signee ✔️ All-American ✔️ Record Holder ✔️ and now .... Homecoming Queen! Congrats Erin Boley 👑 https://t.co/aabm89NSeq 13 hours ago
- RT @ESPN_WomenHoop: .@SkyDigg4 and @mistyonpointe channel their inner "Zoolander" on the runway for #NYFW. es.pn/1Soi5ER @ndwbb 16 hours ago
- A bit of post-practice fun today with Hannah and Madison 🎙 #interviewskills https://t.co/chpQhszKa4 17 hours ago
- Coach McGraw had a special surprise this morning from the team! A little Pre-Valentines gift 💓🍀 https://t.co/tNT1zkQjFs 20 hours ago
- Expecting handful of @ndwbb alums this wknd for Pink Zone! Molly Peirick Busam and family stopped in yesterday 🍀 https://t.co/4M9nqNJfkq 22 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- GOODNIGHT. Let's start chasin' another ACC title on Sunday. https://t.co/YxSw9wSIJh 9 hours ago
- KEY STAT TO OUR WIN OVER #13 UL UL came in outscoring opponents by 15.6 points in paint. TODAY? ND 30 | UL 20 https://t.co/ARhBfTyc6x 13 hours ago
- PHOTOS OF THE GAME: DJ's "D" VJ's layup Bonzie's Rebound Steve's Drive FINAL SCORE: ND 71 | #13 UL 66 https://t.co/nk05xhzguQ 14 hours ago
- RT @jordancornette: University of Notre Dame Men's Basketball. "Guard U." #Irish 14 hours ago
- THIS guy just won his 350th game at ND (2nd to do so) & first thing he does? THE BUMP. Loosest. Coach. In. America. https://t.co/yyyGN856nh 14 hours ago