Feb 9, 2013, 6:38 AM EDT
For some, Saturday just couldn’t come soon enough. Dozens of Notre Dame students gathered in the North dome of the JACC late Friday night awaiting ESPN’s College GameDay the following morning. The goal was simple – hang out with friends prior to the Irish’s primetime matchup against No. 11 Louisville while spending the night indoors in order to secure a first row seat behind the GameDay broadcast that includes Notre Dame’s own Digger Phelps.
The Leprechaun Legion organized and planned the event which included plenty of games, prizes, sign making, movies, and free food. ND students first participated in a few classic games of Knockout followed by a three-on-three tournament where winners received gift cards to the Notre Dame Varsity Shop. Legion president, junior Matt Cunningham, said he hoped the event would get students excited for the game against the Cardinals.
“We’ve got movies going – Space Jam, Hoosiers, Glory Road,” explained Cunningham. “There’s also raffles for a chance to win an Xbox 360, football tickets, and more. It’s something else to do on a Friday night on campus instead of sitting around in your dorm.”
As for the actual game, the Leprechaun Legion hopes to build energy within Purcell Pavilion in what figures to be Notre Dame’s biggest home game of the season.
“When you look at the Syracuse game last year, the fans really responded. I think there’s the same kind of excitement for this game, being in primetime on ESPN,” said Cunningham. “It’s a unique experience and something that doesn’t come around all that often.”
It’s safe to say this is a game Notre Dame desperately wants to win. The student body is ready to help set the tone early – even if that means sleeping on a basketball court the night before.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @IndyStarSports: Female Athlete of the Year at the #INSportsAwards goes to recently named Miss Basketball --@JackieYoung3. https://t.co/… 10 hours ago
- 🏀 @ndwbb will welcome the reigning Indiana Miss Basketball to campus for 2nd year in a row & 3rd time in 8 yrs! https://t.co/BWMmV2WWat 11 hours ago
- Happy Birthday Matt McGraw! Thanks for all your do to support @MuffetMcGraw and @ndwbb! #greensweater https://t.co/ZcaIMtYOz7 21 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: #NDOSCARS https://t.co/zeeUQUWLex 21 hours ago
- Diamond Thompson looking great on stage for #NDOscars tonight as well! #Irishon3 https://t.co/kUcG7aK6FK 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @PlanetPat5: Notre Dame produces Pro Athletes.. In all sports 🍀 Congrats @ronnie_stanley 10 hours ago
- Good luck to @NDFootball guys as they begin their NFL journey tonight. Thanks for all the support! #NDinTheNFL https://t.co/XeobOZCJsY 12 hours ago
- RT @PlanetPat5: Good luck to all my ND Football brothers today. Its not about where youre drafted but what you do w/ the opportunity🍀🏈#Draf… 14 hours ago
- 🏀#VIEWS FROM ABOVE https://t.co/KbaV5e00Kc 15 hours ago
- RT @ZachEliAuguste: Really can't thank this University enough for everything it has done for me! 🙏🏽 #WeAreND 16 hours ago
- Football. Will Fuller Selected No. 21 Overall by the Houston Texans
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Advance to ACC Semifinals With 12-10 Win Over Louisville
- Football. Ronnie Stanley Selected No. 6 Overall by the Baltimore Ravens
- M. Ice Hockey. Hinostroza Added to 2016 U.S. Men's National Team Roster
- W. Tennis. One Team, One Fight