Feb 9, 2013, 6:38 AM EST
For some, Saturday just couldn’t come soon enough. Dozens of Notre Dame students gathered in the North dome of the JACC late Friday night awaiting ESPN’s College GameDay the following morning. The goal was simple – hang out with friends prior to the Irish’s primetime matchup against No. 11 Louisville while spending the night indoors in order to secure a first row seat behind the GameDay broadcast that includes Notre Dame’s own Digger Phelps.
The Leprechaun Legion organized and planned the event which included plenty of games, prizes, sign making, movies, and free food. ND students first participated in a few classic games of Knockout followed by a three-on-three tournament where winners received gift cards to the Notre Dame Varsity Shop. Legion president, junior Matt Cunningham, said he hoped the event would get students excited for the game against the Cardinals.
“We’ve got movies going – Space Jam, Hoosiers, Glory Road,” explained Cunningham. “There’s also raffles for a chance to win an Xbox 360, football tickets, and more. It’s something else to do on a Friday night on campus instead of sitting around in your dorm.”
As for the actual game, the Leprechaun Legion hopes to build energy within Purcell Pavilion in what figures to be Notre Dame’s biggest home game of the season.
“When you look at the Syracuse game last year, the fans really responded. I think there’s the same kind of excitement for this game, being in primetime on ESPN,” said Cunningham. “It’s a unique experience and something that doesn’t come around all that often.”
It’s safe to say this is a game Notre Dame desperately wants to win. The student body is ready to help set the tone early – even if that means sleeping on a basketball court the night before.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Bidding is NOW OPEN for our PINK Zone Auction through Feb. 11! Lots of great @ndwbb items! Bid here .... und.cstvauctions.com/gallery.cfm 16 hours ago
- Highlights from the win last night over North Carolina State. twitter.com/FightingIrish/… 18 hours ago
- RT @ProudtobeND: Congratulations @ndwbb on another victory!! #ProudtobeND https://t.co/X7MGMdLCTb 1 day ago
- https://t.co/xT4cFyD2Go 1 day ago
- Irish Win, 82-46!!! 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Will member of Student Body (@LepLegion) hit $18,000 half court shot at @CollegeGameDay? Last time one did! WATCH: youtu.be/djTnFcqgMio 8 hours ago
- Saturday is GAMEDAY ... both on the court and on the TV. SHOW/GAME INFO 🏀ND | UNC ⏰Show: 11am | Game: 7pm 📺ESPN https://t.co/ofMPjF0JtC 9 hours ago
- RT @NDSlo: 2nd time in 4 years, College GameDay starts and finishes at NotreDame.#Respect https://t.co/oPPuJPbYQC 11 hours ago
- Look for the "94 feet" segment with @JayBilas & DJ (@D_Jay24) on @CollegeGameDay Saturday at 11am on ESPN. twitter.com/ndmbbsid/statu… 11 hours ago
- Not hype enough for Saturday's game vs. UNC? This should help... 🍀GAME INFO🍀 🏀ND | UNC 📅Saturday ⏰7pm 📺ESPN amp.twimg.com/v/57a106e1-55f… 14 hours ago
- W. Lacrosse. Attacking Fusion Sign of Bright Future
- Track. Notre Dame Opens Competition at Meyo Invitational
- M. Tennis. No. 36 Irish Fall To No. 12 Illini 5-2
- M. Ice Hockey. DiPauli and Fogarty Lead No. 10 Irish Past Vermont 2-1
- M. Golf. Men’s Golf Kicks Off Spring Season At Earl Yestingsmeier Match Play Event