Feb 7, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
Michaela Mabrey is a freshman guard who hails from Belmar, N.J. She comes from a very strong basketball family, and she has shown her skill on the court this season for the Fighting Irish, averaging 13.4 minutes per game.
As a true freshman, she has already been able to highlight her versatile skill set and killer three-point shooting. Recently, I was able to meet up with Michaela to get to know a little more about this talented freshman.
What is your major and why does it interest you?
I do not have a declared major yet, but I would like to eventually major in Communications.
What attracted you to Notre Dame?
I was obviously attracted to the basketball aspect of it, but also the great academics, and just how everyone here is treated like family.
What one word would your teammates use to describe you?
I would probably say “goofy” because I am always happy and just “going with the flow” all the time.
What do you plan/hope to do after your basketball career?
I would like to get into broadcasting, I think. I have always been interested in that since I was little, so that would be a great dream of mine.
What song always pumps you up before a game?
“No Worries” by Lil Wayne.
What is your favorite thing about playing basketball at Notre Dame?
I really like the fact that everyone is family here, especially the team.
If you could play any other sport, what would it be?
What is your favorite memory with a teammate?
All of the memories that we made over the summer as a team, especially those where the freshman were bonding with the upperclassmen.
What is the hardest thing about being a student athlete?
Do you have any pre-game rituals or superstitions?
My hair has to be done.
What is your favorite place on campus?
What is one thing you would like to do before you leave Notre Dame?
Win a national championship.
What do you miss most about your home?
What is the weirdest coaching advice that you have ever received?
To cut my hair.
What song on your iPod would surprise people?
“Colder Weather” by Zac Brown Band.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Happy Birthday to our biggest cheerleader & the nation's best leprechaun, Coach McGraw's husband, Matt! ☘️🎉👱🏼🎁🏀 https://t.co/DSMxQCXHr3 1 hour ago
- 🏀 6 guaranteed games. ❄️ Air conditioned courts. 👀 Less than 10 spots remain for Team Camp! ✍🏽️ Sign up today 👉… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 📢We're screaming from the rooftop of Purcell! Happy Administrative Professionals Day to the incredible Sharla Lewi… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- "I love opportunities like this, to interact with kids & be out in the community." 👏🏽Great job, @NatAchon ('14)! ☘️ https://t.co/Z70gSDwybB 2 days ago
- Happy Birthday to our senior manager, Becca Moore! ✌🏼👩🏽✌🏼 #ShesFeeling22 🎉🎁 https://t.co/oXpWDuzyar 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- ND Day is live! Our @BonzieColson will be live in the 9 pm ET hour tonight. twitter.com/ndmbb/status/8… 4 days ago
- Our goal = send local kids to our summer camps You can help Vote for us during @ProudtobeND 💵 ▶️ camp costs 🗳️ ▶️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 days ago
- RT @NDBusiness: When you see a fellow Domer on #NationalHighFiveDay... ☘️ @NDmbb https://t.co/ShUwC44df6 1 week ago
- A look back at one of our top moments from 2016-17 - a steal and drive seals The Legends Classic Championship over… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago
- Only returning @accmbb player w/1,200+ pts, 600+ rebs. @BonzieColson's return puts Irish in contention in 2017-18… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago