Feb 7, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
Michaela Mabrey is a freshman guard who hails from Belmar, N.J. She comes from a very strong basketball family, and she has shown her skill on the court this season for the Fighting Irish, averaging 13.4 minutes per game.
As a true freshman, she has already been able to highlight her versatile skill set and killer three-point shooting. Recently, I was able to meet up with Michaela to get to know a little more about this talented freshman.
What is your major and why does it interest you?
I do not have a declared major yet, but I would like to eventually major in Communications.
What attracted you to Notre Dame?
I was obviously attracted to the basketball aspect of it, but also the great academics, and just how everyone here is treated like family.
What one word would your teammates use to describe you?
I would probably say “goofy” because I am always happy and just “going with the flow” all the time.
What do you plan/hope to do after your basketball career?
I would like to get into broadcasting, I think. I have always been interested in that since I was little, so that would be a great dream of mine.
What song always pumps you up before a game?
“No Worries” by Lil Wayne.
What is your favorite thing about playing basketball at Notre Dame?
I really like the fact that everyone is family here, especially the team.
If you could play any other sport, what would it be?
What is your favorite memory with a teammate?
All of the memories that we made over the summer as a team, especially those where the freshman were bonding with the upperclassmen.
What is the hardest thing about being a student athlete?
Do you have any pre-game rituals or superstitions?
My hair has to be done.
What is your favorite place on campus?
What is one thing you would like to do before you leave Notre Dame?
Win a national championship.
What do you miss most about your home?
What is the weirdest coaching advice that you have ever received?
To cut my hair.
What song on your iPod would surprise people?
“Colder Weather” by Zac Brown Band.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Congrats to @Arike_O and her 3 on 3 team for winning and qualifying to compete in Hungary from May 29-June 7! So happy for you Arike!🍀🇺🇸 4 hours ago
- Great performances by our future Irish out in Colorado for @usabasketball! So proud! 4 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: @ndwbb hey thanks y'all! So blessed and lucky to work with the best teams and the best school in the world! #nowhereidrat… 1 day ago
- Happy birthday @NDsidMasters! The BEST SID in the game! Have an awesome day!!!!!🍀🍀🍀🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉 1 day ago
- RT @NotreDame: It's an absolutely gorgeous day on campus! See for yourself with our new Golden Dome webcam: ntrda.me/DomeCam http://t… 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- #DreamChasin' twitter.com/ndslo/status/5… 1 day ago
- RT @JerianGrant: Irish duo 🍀, me and @PlanetPat24 back at it at the NBA combine. Congrats my guy see you in the Chi! Show them that 40inch … 1 day ago
- Not much beats a day on our Campus ... (Winning the ACC Title is one of them) http://t.co/hbDmCdH5J0 2 days ago
- Not sure there was ever a more deserving O'Connor Award recipient than our captain, Pat Connaughton. #WellDeserved http://t.co/z2DrStpuGj 4 days ago
- Oh, it's National Superhero Day you say ... #AreJedisSuperheros? http://t.co/9fsL26Alxh 5 days ago
- Baseball. Tough First Three Innings Lead To 8-4 Notre Dame Loss
- Baseball. Baseball Falls To Northwestern State, 8-2, Saturday
- Football. Ben Koyack Chosen in NFL Draft
- Track. Irish Women Boost Top Marks On Final Day At Jesse Owens Track Classic
- M. Lacrosse. No. 2 Notre Dame Closes Out Regular Season With 17-8 Win At No.18 Army