Feb 7, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
Michaela Mabrey is a freshman guard who hails from Belmar, N.J. She comes from a very strong basketball family, and she has shown her skill on the court this season for the Fighting Irish, averaging 13.4 minutes per game.
As a true freshman, she has already been able to highlight her versatile skill set and killer three-point shooting. Recently, I was able to meet up with Michaela to get to know a little more about this talented freshman.
What is your major and why does it interest you?
I do not have a declared major yet, but I would like to eventually major in Communications.
What attracted you to Notre Dame?
I was obviously attracted to the basketball aspect of it, but also the great academics, and just how everyone here is treated like family.
What one word would your teammates use to describe you?
I would probably say “goofy” because I am always happy and just “going with the flow” all the time.
What do you plan/hope to do after your basketball career?
I would like to get into broadcasting, I think. I have always been interested in that since I was little, so that would be a great dream of mine.
What song always pumps you up before a game?
“No Worries” by Lil Wayne.
What is your favorite thing about playing basketball at Notre Dame?
I really like the fact that everyone is family here, especially the team.
If you could play any other sport, what would it be?
What is your favorite memory with a teammate?
All of the memories that we made over the summer as a team, especially those where the freshman were bonding with the upperclassmen.
What is the hardest thing about being a student athlete?
Do you have any pre-game rituals or superstitions?
My hair has to be done.
What is your favorite place on campus?
What is one thing you would like to do before you leave Notre Dame?
Win a national championship.
What do you miss most about your home?
What is the weirdest coaching advice that you have ever received?
To cut my hair.
What song on your iPod would surprise people?
“Colder Weather” by Zac Brown Band.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- “Notre Dame is such a magical place. You can really feel the tradition when you walk around this campus.” -… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Catch @MuffetMcGraw on @ESPNUonSiriusXM 📻 at 11:15 am ET https://t.co/c7adM4MRGv 1 day ago
- ICYMI: @Arike_O & @mmabrey1 took over ACC Media Day 💯 https://t.co/EeVxmWiRGE 1 day ago
- That’s a wrap on #ACCMediaDay Back to the Bend! 🛩 https://t.co/y5UEOOhReL 2 days ago
- #Buckets 🏀 #ACCMediaDay https://t.co/ag7cKoC3sU 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Great to put on the uniforms and 🏀compete🏀 First step toward our goals this season. ND 97, Holy Cross College 57 (… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- That's a final. @Martin_Geben 20 pts, 11 rebs @rexpflueger 18 pts, 8 rebs https://t.co/S9zGoAjbF5 1 day ago
- A 21-0 run highlights the first half. Irish hold HCC to 24.2 FG% Colson 9 pts, 8 rebs Farrell 11 pts Geben 9 pts, 6… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Ready to go in Purcell! Follow @NDmbbSID for regular score updates tonight. Text IRISH to 91999 to help with… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Happy Birthday or su gimtadieniu (in Lithuanian) to our #23! https://t.co/MhKe8dilsh 1 day ago
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish, #15 Duke Battle To Scoreless Draw
- M. Ice Hockey. #5/6 Irish Rebound With 3-1 Victory Over Sacred Heart
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon's 24 Kills Powers Irish Past Florida State
- M. Tennis. Howells, Lebedev Into Doubles Quarterfinal At ITA Midwest Regionals
- M. Basketball. Irish Open Preseason With 97-57 Win Over Holy Cross College