Feb 7, 2013, 3:11 PM EST
The regular season does not get much bigger than Saturday for the #25 Notre Dame men’s basketball team. ESPN’s College GameDay and #11 Louisville come to town for what’s sure to be jam-packed weekend at Purcell Pavilion.
The GameDay team of Rece Davis, Digger Phelps, Jalen Rose and Jay Bilas will broadcast live from Purcell Pavilion between 10 am and noon ET (the first hour is on ESPNU, before shifting to ESPN), with the big game tipping off just after 9 pm ET on ESPN.
As Tyler Moorehead, the Leprechaun Legion’s VP of Public Relations and Social Media pointed out on his blog earlier this week, Notre Dame will become the sixth school to have both football and basketball College GameDay in the same academic year.
The Fighting Irish join Oklahoma State (2004-05), Texas (2005-06 and 2008-09), Ohio State (2006-07), Florida State (2011-12) and Michigan (2011-12) in achieving this rare feat. It certainly speaks volumes about Notre Dame athletics and the ND fan base that ESPN would choose to send its flagship college program to campus twice in a span of less than four months.
In addition to the circus of College GameDay, the game is shaping up to be quite the second act. Within the past few seasons, the Notre Dame – Louisville rivalry has morphed into one of the best in the BIG EAST, if not all of college basketball. Since 2006, the Irish and the Cardinals have met 10 times, with six of those battles being decided in overtime.
Last season, Notre Dame upset the 11th-ranked Cardinals, 67-65, in a double overtime thriller in Louisville. The teams played again in the BIG EAST conference semifinals, where Louisville rolled to a 64-50 victory, carrying its momentum all the way to the Final Four.
Louisville (19-4 overall, 7-3 BIG EAST) currently stands one game ahead of Notre Dame (18-5, 6-4), so it’s important for both teams as they vie for position in the crowded BIG EAST standings.
Though residents of the Bluegrass State might argue otherwise, there should be no debate that the Hoosier State is king of college basketball right now. GameDay was at Butler in Indianapolis three weeks ago, at IU in Bloomington this past weekend, and now, preparing for a visit to South Bend, marking its third stop in Indiana in a span of four weeks. The Hoosiers are currently ranked #1 in the nation, the Bulldogs are 14th, and if the Irish can pick up a big win against Louisville, they will have defeated both of Kentucky’s premier hoops teams – the Wildcats and Cardinals – in the same season.
As part of the GameDay festivities, the Leprechaun Legion will be hosting a student campout with a whole bunch of activities in the Joyce Center Fieldhouse on Friday night. Read more about it on the event page on Facebook.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- We would take you in a 💚beat! twitter.com/kaymac_2123/st… 10 hours ago
- For the second time this season, Madison Cable is named @accwbb Player of the Week! https://t.co/Rj5mFnLXJv 14 hours ago
- Your expression when Coach gives you the day off from practice after a hard fought win on the road. #NDWBB https://t.co/jMqR661GsI 15 hours ago
- Yes, Lindsay!! Named a finalist today for Nancy Lieberman Award as nation's top PG. hoophall.com/news/2016/2/8/… https://t.co/mOjYsaG93E 18 hours ago
- RT @wbca1981: Here's @MuffetMcGraw of @ndwbb with her #MondayMotivation https://t.co/QpjTwEdMDA 18 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- ANOTHER WIN. ANOTHER JUMP. Take a quick listen to Coach Brey's locker room speech after our 89-83 win at Clemson. https://t.co/NuKm6LUQrO 6 hours ago
- THE ROAD DAWGS ARE BACK! ND 89 | Clemson 83 FINAL We move to 17-7 overall & 8-4 in ACC play. https://t.co/iRBf18D6JF 7 hours ago
- BIG MAN BATTLE We are going down to the wire. Bonz & ZA have combined for 28pts &15rebs. ND 71 | CU 62 2H | ESPNU https://t.co/j0En2UtpK3 7 hours ago
- RT @ElijahBurns12: The boys are ballin 7 hours ago
- Grab your quiver & 👌 GOGGLES! Back-to-back 3's from Steve & VJ prompt Rex to pull out his arrows. ND 58 | CU 49 2H https://t.co/Rpcp8LsRQV 8 hours ago
- M. Basketball. Irish Continue Road Dawg Attitude Beating Clemson On Road, 89-83.
- M. Golf. Men’s Golf Posts Pair of Thrilling Wins at Yestingsmeier Match Play
- Softball. The Top 10: Conference History
- W. Basketball. Cable, Allen Earn Awards For Basketball Success
- M. Ice Hockey. Gross Honored and Irish Move up to #8 in the National Polls After Weekend Sweep