Feb 1, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
On Wednesday night, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team defeated Villanova to improve to 17-4 overall and 5-3 in BIG EAST play. With ten games remaining before the conference tournament, the Irish are getting ready for their first of two important swing trips.
Later this afternoon, it’s off to the Windy City suburbs in preparation for tomorrow’s matchup against DePaul (2 pm ET on ESPN2) at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill.
After the game, the team will stay outside of Chicago, before departing for Syracuse on Sunday morning.
The Irish and #6 Orange meet in a Big Monday showdown at the Carrier Dome (7 pm ET on ESPN). You can bet that “Otto’s Army” (the Syracuse student section) will be especially fired up for that one, after what happened to their top-ranked squad last January in South Bend.
With a top-10 opponent on the horizon, many fans are probably looking ahead to the latter of Notre Dame’s two upcoming contests. DePaul is 10-10 overall and just 1-6 in the conference, but both games are critical for the Irish, and as the BIG EAST proves time and time again, no opponent can be overlooked.
The race for the top four BIG EAST seeds is still very much up in the air. Syracuse and Marquette sit atop the standings with identical 6-1 records. St. John’s is in third at 6-3, while Notre Dame (5-3) is tied with Cincinnati, Louisville and Georgetown for fourth.
After losing three out of four in mid-January, Notre Dame has rebounded with back-to-back victories, and the re-invented Irish hope to build upon that momentum, especially after the emergence of Tom Knight and the breakout performance from Cam Biedscheid.
If they can pick up another pair of wins over the next few days, that highly anticipated visit from College GameDay and the primetime matchup with Louisville (Feb. 9 at 9 pm ET on ESPN) quickly becomes even more exciting.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Thank you to those who made the ultimate sacrifice & those who continue to protect and serve. God Bless America 🇺🇸 https://t.co/A9P4KIFqRD 12 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: DID YOU KNOW? Over the past 5 seasons, @ndwbb has won 56 of its 58 regular-season road games. #NDFacts https://t.co/rS… 1 day ago
- On Indy 500 Sunday, #IrishintheWNBA has 2 Indiana Fever players in action, plus a certain Indiana Miss Basketball! https://t.co/x7iCVxIDVb 1 day ago
- Splash Brothers weren't only ones lighting it up last night, right Jewell? #IrishintheWNBA wnba.com/game/20160528/… https://t.co/hhBOFe4Tag 1 day ago
- #IrishintheWNBA rolls on tonight with All-American & 2015 espnW National Player of the Year Jewell Loyd in action! https://t.co/EK3sern1Gn 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: RUST LIGHTS THE LAMP! 🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨 @NDHockey's Bryan Rust scores the first goal of #StanleyCup Final for the @Penguins. htt… 4 hours ago
- To those who gave us their "last full measure of devotion" - we are thankful & blessed each and every day. https://t.co/pkqwisPpeo 11 hours ago
- A Sunday wouldn't be complete without a trick shot from one of our guys... REX FROM THE STANDS!! 👀@rexpflueger_1 https://t.co/K78A5Uvoix 1 day ago
- SATURDAY SWAT. Presented by VJ Beachem. 👀@VjBeachem https://t.co/mOxMfliK1Q 2 days ago
- RT @bhans23: Bigtime congrats to @MIND2424 on being named head coach at Delaware! Was lucky to have him as a Coach during my playing days a… 3 days ago
- M. Tennis. Irish Run Ends In NCAA Doubles Semifinal
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Landis Repeats as USILA's Top Defensive Player
- Track. Barber and 4x400m Relay Punch Tickets to NCAA Championship
- M. Tennis. Lawson, Monaghan Punch Ticket To NCAA Semifinal
- M. Lacrosse. Landis, Perkovic Pace Notre Dame on USILA All-America Squad