Feb 1, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
On Wednesday night, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team defeated Villanova to improve to 17-4 overall and 5-3 in BIG EAST play. With ten games remaining before the conference tournament, the Irish are getting ready for their first of two important swing trips.
Later this afternoon, it’s off to the Windy City suburbs in preparation for tomorrow’s matchup against DePaul (2 pm ET on ESPN2) at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill.
After the game, the team will stay outside of Chicago, before departing for Syracuse on Sunday morning.
The Irish and #6 Orange meet in a Big Monday showdown at the Carrier Dome (7 pm ET on ESPN). You can bet that “Otto’s Army” (the Syracuse student section) will be especially fired up for that one, after what happened to their top-ranked squad last January in South Bend.
With a top-10 opponent on the horizon, many fans are probably looking ahead to the latter of Notre Dame’s two upcoming contests. DePaul is 10-10 overall and just 1-6 in the conference, but both games are critical for the Irish, and as the BIG EAST proves time and time again, no opponent can be overlooked.
The race for the top four BIG EAST seeds is still very much up in the air. Syracuse and Marquette sit atop the standings with identical 6-1 records. St. John’s is in third at 6-3, while Notre Dame (5-3) is tied with Cincinnati, Louisville and Georgetown for fourth.
After losing three out of four in mid-January, Notre Dame has rebounded with back-to-back victories, and the re-invented Irish hope to build upon that momentum, especially after the emergence of Tom Knight and the breakout performance from Cam Biedscheid.
If they can pick up another pair of wins over the next few days, that highly anticipated visit from College GameDay and the primetime matchup with Louisville (Feb. 9 at 9 pm ET on ESPN) quickly becomes even more exciting.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Wishing the best of luck to our #IrishInTheWNBA, @SkyDigg4, @MsPeters14, and @jewellloyd as the @WNBA playoffs tip-… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 hours ago
- Always making time for others! @MuffetMcGraw paid a visit to the Sisters of the Holy Cross today-some of our bigg… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 8 hours ago
- Thank you so much to our donors that made our foreign tour to Rome and Croatia this summer possible! We couldn’t ha… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 11 hours ago
- Head Coach @MuffetMcGraw with @AlliHayesSports, kicking off the 2018 Run Jane Run golf outing. All proceeds benef… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Wishing the happiest of Birthdays to @d_patterson33!! https://t.co/N2LIJA1TO2 3 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Hauling in the hardwood‼️ Base layer of our future practice court in Rolfs Athletics Hall taking shape. https://t.co/Wowlr0JOZT 10 hours ago
- Congrats to @NDmbb alum, 1977-81 guard, former administrator at ND and soon to be @NCAA EVP of regulatory affairs… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 15 hours ago
- A great six days to spend with our family, getting better on the court and closer off of it. #RiseTogether ⚡️ “20… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 days ago
- The 2018-19 future is bright 😎 for @Tempppp12 - 1️⃣4️⃣ 3s over 3 games in 🇧🇸‼️ https://t.co/pFvB4a7lXy 1 week ago
- Final night on the island - perfect time for an Italian-style meal. https://t.co/mZCut6IdaO 1 week ago