Feb 1, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
On Wednesday night, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team defeated Villanova to improve to 17-4 overall and 5-3 in BIG EAST play. With ten games remaining before the conference tournament, the Irish are getting ready for their first of two important swing trips.
Later this afternoon, it’s off to the Windy City suburbs in preparation for tomorrow’s matchup against DePaul (2 pm ET on ESPN2) at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill.
After the game, the team will stay outside of Chicago, before departing for Syracuse on Sunday morning.
The Irish and #6 Orange meet in a Big Monday showdown at the Carrier Dome (7 pm ET on ESPN). You can bet that “Otto’s Army” (the Syracuse student section) will be especially fired up for that one, after what happened to their top-ranked squad last January in South Bend.
With a top-10 opponent on the horizon, many fans are probably looking ahead to the latter of Notre Dame’s two upcoming contests. DePaul is 10-10 overall and just 1-6 in the conference, but both games are critical for the Irish, and as the BIG EAST proves time and time again, no opponent can be overlooked.
The race for the top four BIG EAST seeds is still very much up in the air. Syracuse and Marquette sit atop the standings with identical 6-1 records. St. John’s is in third at 6-3, while Notre Dame (5-3) is tied with Cincinnati, Louisville and Georgetown for fourth.
After losing three out of four in mid-January, Notre Dame has rebounded with back-to-back victories, and the re-invented Irish hope to build upon that momentum, especially after the emergence of Tom Knight and the breakout performance from Cam Biedscheid.
If they can pick up another pair of wins over the next few days, that highly anticipated visit from College GameDay and the primetime matchup with Louisville (Feb. 9 at 9 pm ET on ESPN) quickly becomes even more exciting.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: Happy #NationalDogDay from @ndwbb 🐶 🗓🎉 https://t.co/qIOQtIGOes 13 hours ago
- Double dose of late night ☘🏀 tonight in the @WNBA! @SkyDigg4 & @jewellloyd make their return after Olympic break! https://t.co/enXVdAMenQ 14 hours ago
- ☘🐶❤️ on #NationalDogDay. We 😍 our pups!! https://t.co/ep2Tmjhnzs 18 hours ago
- RT @_Breezy_Briii: So blessed to be apart of such a special team ☘🏀💍 #ACC3peat https://t.co/VyDlxOypNf 1 day ago
- Irish Fans! Can you help us caption this #TBT?! 🙈🙉🙊 ☘ https://t.co/9nkEDiGEJP 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- All 👀 on ☘ Already 5️⃣ scheduled national 📺 games - before ACC play even begins... https://t.co/t5qmPmVGPO 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 📝@NDmbb coach Mike Brey's summer checklist ⚾️Throw 1st pitch @ Wrigley Field 🎤Lead @Cubs through 7th-inning stretch htt… 2 days ago
- 🙌 That feeling of being back on campus playing pick up with your brothers. #Together @rexpflueger_1 @VjBeachem https://t.co/n2Ts8QyhWt 2 days ago
- ☘ Back with our Notre Dame Family. 💻🔬📖📚 First day of classes on campus - ready to start the year off right! https://t.co/2gfcvAIeXM 3 days ago
- 🏅#GoldStandard ☘ Monty Williams helps USA Basketball win GOLD in Rio. https://t.co/xwZF7eQY56 4 days ago
- M. Soccer. #9 Irish Utilize Strong Attack With Opening Clean Sheet Against UC Irvine
- W. Volleyball. Irish Score Season-Opening Sweep Over Seton Hall
- Cross Country. Fighting Irish Prepared For Looming 2016 Schedule
- Softball. Irish Softball Academies Return In October
- M. Soccer. Irish Soccer On The Air Throughout 2016