Feb 1, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
On Wednesday night, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team defeated Villanova to improve to 17-4 overall and 5-3 in BIG EAST play. With ten games remaining before the conference tournament, the Irish are getting ready for their first of two important swing trips.
Later this afternoon, it’s off to the Windy City suburbs in preparation for tomorrow’s matchup against DePaul (2 pm ET on ESPN2) at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill.
After the game, the team will stay outside of Chicago, before departing for Syracuse on Sunday morning.
The Irish and #6 Orange meet in a Big Monday showdown at the Carrier Dome (7 pm ET on ESPN). You can bet that “Otto’s Army” (the Syracuse student section) will be especially fired up for that one, after what happened to their top-ranked squad last January in South Bend.
With a top-10 opponent on the horizon, many fans are probably looking ahead to the latter of Notre Dame’s two upcoming contests. DePaul is 10-10 overall and just 1-6 in the conference, but both games are critical for the Irish, and as the BIG EAST proves time and time again, no opponent can be overlooked.
The race for the top four BIG EAST seeds is still very much up in the air. Syracuse and Marquette sit atop the standings with identical 6-1 records. St. John’s is in third at 6-3, while Notre Dame (5-3) is tied with Cincinnati, Louisville and Georgetown for fourth.
After losing three out of four in mid-January, Notre Dame has rebounded with back-to-back victories, and the re-invented Irish hope to build upon that momentum, especially after the emergence of Tom Knight and the breakout performance from Cam Biedscheid.
If they can pick up another pair of wins over the next few days, that highly anticipated visit from College GameDay and the primetime matchup with Louisville (Feb. 9 at 9 pm ET on ESPN) quickly becomes even more exciting.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- 👀 Searching for the best & brightest. 🤔 Who will be the next ☘️legend to take over a wall at Boo Williams?… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- 😍 Love to see our #NDFamily on the road! ☘️ 👀👏🏼 Megan Duffy ('06) & Michaela Mabrey ('16) -Miami OH- w/ Coach & Be… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: 🏀 Point Guard Podcast @ndwbb coach Niele Ivey talks @nyliberty's Lindsay Allen & Irish in the WNBA! LISTEN: https://… 2 days ago
- Happy Birthday to our biggest cheerleader & the nation's best leprechaun, Coach McGraw's husband, Matt! ☘️🎉👱🏼🎁🏀 https://t.co/DSMxQCXHr3 2 days ago
- 🏀 6 guaranteed games. ❄️ Air conditioned courts. 👀 Less than 10 spots remain for Team Camp! ✍🏽️ Sign up today 👉… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- ND Day is live! Our @BonzieColson will be live in the 9 pm ET hour tonight. twitter.com/ndmbb/status/8… 1 week ago
- Our goal = send local kids to our summer camps You can help Vote for us during @ProudtobeND 💵 ▶️ camp costs 🗳️ ▶️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago
- RT @NDBusiness: When you see a fellow Domer on #NationalHighFiveDay... ☘️ @NDmbb https://t.co/ShUwC44df6 1 week ago
- A look back at one of our top moments from 2016-17 - a steal and drive seals The Legends Classic Championship over… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago
- Only returning @accmbb player w/1,200+ pts, 600+ rebs. @BonzieColson's return puts Irish in contention in 2017-18… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago