Feb 1, 2013, 12:32 PM EST
On Wednesday night, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team defeated Villanova to improve to 17-4 overall and 5-3 in BIG EAST play. With ten games remaining before the conference tournament, the Irish are getting ready for their first of two important swing trips.
Later this afternoon, it’s off to the Windy City suburbs in preparation for tomorrow’s matchup against DePaul (2 pm ET on ESPN2) at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill.
After the game, the team will stay outside of Chicago, before departing for Syracuse on Sunday morning.
The Irish and #6 Orange meet in a Big Monday showdown at the Carrier Dome (7 pm ET on ESPN). You can bet that “Otto’s Army” (the Syracuse student section) will be especially fired up for that one, after what happened to their top-ranked squad last January in South Bend.
With a top-10 opponent on the horizon, many fans are probably looking ahead to the latter of Notre Dame’s two upcoming contests. DePaul is 10-10 overall and just 1-6 in the conference, but both games are critical for the Irish, and as the BIG EAST proves time and time again, no opponent can be overlooked.
The race for the top four BIG EAST seeds is still very much up in the air. Syracuse and Marquette sit atop the standings with identical 6-1 records. St. John’s is in third at 6-3, while Notre Dame (5-3) is tied with Cincinnati, Louisville and Georgetown for fourth.
After losing three out of four in mid-January, Notre Dame has rebounded with back-to-back victories, and the re-invented Irish hope to build upon that momentum, especially after the emergence of Tom Knight and the breakout performance from Cam Biedscheid.
If they can pick up another pair of wins over the next few days, that highly anticipated visit from College GameDay and the primetime matchup with Louisville (Feb. 9 at 9 pm ET on ESPN) quickly becomes even more exciting.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: ☘ Irish visit the Women's Hoops Hall of Fame 🏆 '01 @ndwbb won the National Championship 👠 '11 @MuffetMcGraw was indu… 9 hours ago
- Miss the latest Muffet McGraw Radio Show? Catch up here before our next live show at @ORourkes_Pub- January 23rd! youtu.be/Y4C6BSnr_JA 16 hours ago
- Final from Knoxville. Marina Mabrey leads the Irish with 17 points. #LoveTheeNotreDame https://t.co/EDUHBOEYaQ 1 day ago
- #HereComeTheIrish ☘️ ESPN2 https://t.co/SzyTxKmWRi 1 day ago
- Marina Mabrey leads the Irish with 14 points as they lead Tennessee by 10 headed into the fourth quarter. https://t.co/1Ny00OZaew 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Consistency is what we are all about. You might call it 'underappreciated.' We call it - Notre Dame Basketball. und.com/sports/m-baskb… 14 hours ago
- The 📸best dressed📸 staff in America reminds you to vote every day for @NDMikeBrey in #Coaches4Charity Challenge 👉… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 🚨Player of the Week ALERT🚨 Steve Vasturia named co @accmbb Player of the Week Averaged 15.0ppg, 5.0 rpg, 5.0 apg i… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 🤔 What do we call it? ☄️ The dive? 🕵️ The steal? 👉 How about just... 💪 Toughness 💪 #ClosingTime https://t.co/R6EVTTEHJR 2 days ago
- How do you get to first place in the best league in the country? 💪Effort plays at the end of games.💪 ND 16-2, 5-0 i… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago
- M. Basketball. SI Now - Why Is Notre Dame Underappreciated?
- General News. Torain Joins Athletics Department As Associate Athletics Director
- W. Basketball. Irish Fall in Final Minute at Tennessee
- M. Basketball. Florida State Preview - Ten Things To Know
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Irish Taking Longer Early Look in Mirror