Feb 1, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
On Wednesday night, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team defeated Villanova to improve to 17-4 overall and 5-3 in BIG EAST play. With ten games remaining before the conference tournament, the Irish are getting ready for their first of two important swing trips.
Later this afternoon, it’s off to the Windy City suburbs in preparation for tomorrow’s matchup against DePaul (2 pm ET on ESPN2) at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill.
After the game, the team will stay outside of Chicago, before departing for Syracuse on Sunday morning.
The Irish and #6 Orange meet in a Big Monday showdown at the Carrier Dome (7 pm ET on ESPN). You can bet that “Otto’s Army” (the Syracuse student section) will be especially fired up for that one, after what happened to their top-ranked squad last January in South Bend.
With a top-10 opponent on the horizon, many fans are probably looking ahead to the latter of Notre Dame’s two upcoming contests. DePaul is 10-10 overall and just 1-6 in the conference, but both games are critical for the Irish, and as the BIG EAST proves time and time again, no opponent can be overlooked.
The race for the top four BIG EAST seeds is still very much up in the air. Syracuse and Marquette sit atop the standings with identical 6-1 records. St. John’s is in third at 6-3, while Notre Dame (5-3) is tied with Cincinnati, Louisville and Georgetown for fourth.
After losing three out of four in mid-January, Notre Dame has rebounded with back-to-back victories, and the re-invented Irish hope to build upon that momentum, especially after the emergence of Tom Knight and the breakout performance from Cam Biedscheid.
If they can pick up another pair of wins over the next few days, that highly anticipated visit from College GameDay and the primetime matchup with Louisville (Feb. 9 at 9 pm ET on ESPN) quickly becomes even more exciting.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Some things never change for our b-day girl @MsPeters14 … championship fire always burns! wnba.com/news/peters-ex… http://t.co/qhyQigZiDb 8 hours ago
- Irish WBB great, Danielle Green, will be speaking at the FB Pep Rally! #showsomelove tomorrow at 5:45 pm in the Joyce Center (North Dome). 8 hours ago
- RT @WNBA: #BirthdaySelfie with @MsPeters14! http://t.co/Iw011N7xEr 12 hours ago
- #TBT to 1/15/01 for our 1st home sellout crowd and a win over UCONN. 1 of 45 sellouts in @ndwbb program history! http://t.co/3wl51j9aeH 15 hours ago
- WNBA finals so exciting with an ND alum on each team 🍀 Devereaux Peters showing toughness last night! No other way. http://t.co/uCmx9zKwAq 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- When you're a student, the best things in life are free... ...Coach Brey agrees. http://t.co/0tcX320qP0 6 hours ago
- 👌Goggles. Defense. Hustle. All these things and more happened in our 1st practice. Check it out: http://t.co/UOWjsFAbfh 1 day ago
- What is Jerian Grant's favorite moment while at ND? He let us know on the @NYKnicks Twitter account. TAKE A LOOK: http://t.co/KlqQbsSgzE 2 days ago
- RT @NDMikeBrey: Our student body has helped us win a ton of games in my 15 years at ND. We think this is a great way to thank them. http:/… 2 days ago
- 🏃Hustle. 👊Grit. 🏀Defense. Those are 3 things we worked on in Practice #1. Who stepped up? Check it out. http://t.co/jJwnCNaKaf 2 days ago