Feb 1, 2013, 12:32 PM EST
On Wednesday night, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team defeated Villanova to improve to 17-4 overall and 5-3 in BIG EAST play. With ten games remaining before the conference tournament, the Irish are getting ready for their first of two important swing trips.
Later this afternoon, it’s off to the Windy City suburbs in preparation for tomorrow’s matchup against DePaul (2 pm ET on ESPN2) at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill.
After the game, the team will stay outside of Chicago, before departing for Syracuse on Sunday morning.
The Irish and #6 Orange meet in a Big Monday showdown at the Carrier Dome (7 pm ET on ESPN). You can bet that “Otto’s Army” (the Syracuse student section) will be especially fired up for that one, after what happened to their top-ranked squad last January in South Bend.
With a top-10 opponent on the horizon, many fans are probably looking ahead to the latter of Notre Dame’s two upcoming contests. DePaul is 10-10 overall and just 1-6 in the conference, but both games are critical for the Irish, and as the BIG EAST proves time and time again, no opponent can be overlooked.
The race for the top four BIG EAST seeds is still very much up in the air. Syracuse and Marquette sit atop the standings with identical 6-1 records. St. John’s is in third at 6-3, while Notre Dame (5-3) is tied with Cincinnati, Louisville and Georgetown for fourth.
After losing three out of four in mid-January, Notre Dame has rebounded with back-to-back victories, and the re-invented Irish hope to build upon that momentum, especially after the emergence of Tom Knight and the breakout performance from Cam Biedscheid.
If they can pick up another pair of wins over the next few days, that highly anticipated visit from College GameDay and the primetime matchup with Louisville (Feb. 9 at 9 pm ET on ESPN) quickly becomes even more exciting.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Lots of nominations pouring in this week 🍀 Congrats to Bri and Lindsay! twitter.com/naismithtrophy… 3 hours ago
- Only a few more days to bid on your favorite @ndwbb items in the Pink Zone auction. und.cstvauctions.com/gallery.cfm https://t.co/MRKGJdujsQ 10 hours ago
- Lots of 💓 for @NDRecsports for support of our Pink Zone 🏀 Spots are filling fast for the Spin-A-thon on Friday 🚴🏼 🍀 twitter.com/ndrecsports/st… 11 hours ago
- Congrats Erin and Jackie! Our 2019 @ndwbb class packs alot of punch! #Reloading twitter.com/NaismithTrophy… 1 day ago
- Why are these people watching the Mabrey sisters on the bball court this afternoon? @GWR, we'll be in touch soon 🏅 https://t.co/soFFsYomvj 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO CAPTAIN STEVE VASTURIA. The most under-the-radar player in NCAA averages 12.5ppg, 3.1apg & 3rpg. https://t.co/rMfcCp37B6 4 hours ago
- SOCIAL CHATTER: Hear what some are saying about our Head Coach Mike Brey. BREY STATS: 349 Wins at ND 22+ Wins/year https://t.co/1KSObmF2ly 11 hours ago
- RT @D_Jay24: 🔑to the city & my own day. All things are possible when you believe. Unforgettable day w/ unforgettable ppl #blessed https://t… 15 hours ago
- Good luck to All-American @JerianGrant, Kurt Rambis & the @NYKnicks as they usher in a new era (8pm vs The Wizards) https://t.co/b39KwoIw0a 1 day ago
- Take NO days off. Just because we have the day off, it doesn't mean we stop working to improve. #NotDoneYet https://t.co/1UQlzAYtkk 1 day ago
- W. Lacrosse. Fortunato Nets Weekly ACC Honor
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Posts Runner-Up Finish at Yestingsmeier Match Play
- M. Basketball. AJ Meyer: He's Notre Dame Basketball's Secret Weapon
- M. Basketball. Irish Continue Road Dawg Attitude Beating Clemson On Road, 89-83
- M. Golf. Men’s Golf Posts Pair of Thrilling Wins at Yestingsmeier Match Play