Feb 1, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
On Wednesday night, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team defeated Villanova to improve to 17-4 overall and 5-3 in BIG EAST play. With ten games remaining before the conference tournament, the Irish are getting ready for their first of two important swing trips.
Later this afternoon, it’s off to the Windy City suburbs in preparation for tomorrow’s matchup against DePaul (2 pm ET on ESPN2) at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill.
After the game, the team will stay outside of Chicago, before departing for Syracuse on Sunday morning.
The Irish and #6 Orange meet in a Big Monday showdown at the Carrier Dome (7 pm ET on ESPN). You can bet that “Otto’s Army” (the Syracuse student section) will be especially fired up for that one, after what happened to their top-ranked squad last January in South Bend.
With a top-10 opponent on the horizon, many fans are probably looking ahead to the latter of Notre Dame’s two upcoming contests. DePaul is 10-10 overall and just 1-6 in the conference, but both games are critical for the Irish, and as the BIG EAST proves time and time again, no opponent can be overlooked.
The race for the top four BIG EAST seeds is still very much up in the air. Syracuse and Marquette sit atop the standings with identical 6-1 records. St. John’s is in third at 6-3, while Notre Dame (5-3) is tied with Cincinnati, Louisville and Georgetown for fourth.
After losing three out of four in mid-January, Notre Dame has rebounded with back-to-back victories, and the re-invented Irish hope to build upon that momentum, especially after the emergence of Tom Knight and the breakout performance from Cam Biedscheid.
If they can pick up another pair of wins over the next few days, that highly anticipated visit from College GameDay and the primetime matchup with Louisville (Feb. 9 at 9 pm ET on ESPN) quickly becomes even more exciting.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: #BACK2BACK 🏀@NDwbb student-athlete named @WNBA Rookie of the Month For 2nd-straight month. June:Achonwa July:Loyd http… 4 hours ago
- Reserve your seats today! twitter.com/NDTIX/status/6… 11 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: #IrishintheWNBA opens the month of August tonight at 8 ET when @MsPeters14 & @minnesotalynx visit @TulsaShock (watch on @… 2 days ago
- RT @mattcashore: By popular demand--here's the blue moon. http://t.co/qrd8fggQYT 2 days ago
- #FBFriday to '14-15 season for @_Breezy_Briii. Fantastic freshman year, but BEST is yet to come. youtu.be/BN1RWWybkyo 3 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Don't ever forget the year #DunksDuLac began. 2015 was just a launching pad to the future. #NotDoneYet http://t.co/vKJ68G25ts 3 hours ago
- Excited to have Austin Carr back at ND for a few days. DJ & AC laced 'em up & taped a piece on their ND Experiences. http://t.co/OBl4eMAIp2 10 hours ago
- #NDinNBA twitter.com/ruthriley00/st… 2 days ago
- As we enter our @CoachesvsCancer weekend, let's throw it back to Suits & Sneakers weekend before our win over NC St. http://t.co/P7Y7rDf3M6 3 days ago
- RT @NDMikeBrey: Always excited for our Coaches vs. Cancer weekend. So thankful for the community support. It's time to find a cure! http://… 3 days ago