Feb 1, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
On Wednesday night, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team defeated Villanova to improve to 17-4 overall and 5-3 in BIG EAST play. With ten games remaining before the conference tournament, the Irish are getting ready for their first of two important swing trips.
Later this afternoon, it’s off to the Windy City suburbs in preparation for tomorrow’s matchup against DePaul (2 pm ET on ESPN2) at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill.
After the game, the team will stay outside of Chicago, before departing for Syracuse on Sunday morning.
The Irish and #6 Orange meet in a Big Monday showdown at the Carrier Dome (7 pm ET on ESPN). You can bet that “Otto’s Army” (the Syracuse student section) will be especially fired up for that one, after what happened to their top-ranked squad last January in South Bend.
With a top-10 opponent on the horizon, many fans are probably looking ahead to the latter of Notre Dame’s two upcoming contests. DePaul is 10-10 overall and just 1-6 in the conference, but both games are critical for the Irish, and as the BIG EAST proves time and time again, no opponent can be overlooked.
The race for the top four BIG EAST seeds is still very much up in the air. Syracuse and Marquette sit atop the standings with identical 6-1 records. St. John’s is in third at 6-3, while Notre Dame (5-3) is tied with Cincinnati, Louisville and Georgetown for fourth.
After losing three out of four in mid-January, Notre Dame has rebounded with back-to-back victories, and the re-invented Irish hope to build upon that momentum, especially after the emergence of Tom Knight and the breakout performance from Cam Biedscheid.
If they can pick up another pair of wins over the next few days, that highly anticipated visit from College GameDay and the primetime matchup with Louisville (Feb. 9 at 9 pm ET on ESPN) quickly becomes even more exciting.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Sneak peek No. ✌️ of the championship season documentary being shot by @NDFIM 🎬 #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/SwDdphvdFJ 17 hours ago
- When you're crushing it 💪 in your community like @SkyDigg4, it’s easy to see why this former Irish took home the… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- ☘️ Bring your glow sticks ☘️ Wear your best lime green shirt ☘️ Come be apart of our 2018-2019 intro video that wi… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Sneak Peek: Day 1️⃣ in shooting a documentary on the championship season 🎬🎥 #GoIrish☘️ https://t.co/UKjFyjJMT9 1 day ago
- “The walking bucket,” @kaymac_2123 continued her scoring tear last night as she dropped 27 points!… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: We know who we're voting for! 👇 👀 @NDmbb #GoIrish twitter.com/marchmadness/s… 3 days ago
- RT @NDmbb: Little glimpse of our work out today. Great to see @PHubb_3 out there! Another day to get better... #RiseTogether https://t.co/j… 3 days ago
- Little glimpse of our work out today. Great to see @PHubb_3 out there! Another day to get better... #RiseTogether https://t.co/j4jzSSNqUN 4 days ago
- Our ✋ scored ‘just’ 10,396 career points. twitter.com/marchmadness/s… 4 days ago
- 🏀+📚=🎓 Two graduates, two academic honors. Liam Nelligan (returning for a 5th this year) and Matt Gregory earn… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 days ago
- W. Volleyball. Johnson Announces Volleyball Staff For Upcoming Season
- W. Rowing. O'Tighearnaigh Named Honorable Mention All-American
- Football. Irish Trio Named To Bednarik,Maxwell Watch Lists
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps