Jan 31, 2013, 10:25 AM EDT
During the early part of the Irish season, freshman Cam Biedscheid scored in double digits four times and looked poised to make a big impact off the bench during BIG EAST play.
But through the first part of the conference schedule, the St. Louis native struggled to find his rhythm, going a combined 3-for-23 from the field in the past four games.
On Wednesday night, Biedscheid broke through in a big way. The freshman scored a career-high 18 points, sparking the offense with 15 in the second half and helping lift Notre Dame to a 65-60 win over Villanova at Purcell Pavilion.
On a night where Eric Atkins and Pat Connaughton (the team’s third- and fourth-leading scorers) couldn’t quite find their shooting stroke, Biedscheid knocked down five three-pointers and provided the Irish with a much-needed boost offensively.
Jack Cooley (17 points, 16 rebounds) and Jerian Grant (12 points, 10 assists) also had big games in front of the home crowd. Cooley’s performance was good for the 13th double-double of the season and 26th of his career. It was Grant’s second of the 2012-13 campaign and third during his time at Notre Dame.
After scoring 17 points on Saturday at USF, Tom Knight once again stepped up in his new starting role. Knight notched 10 points, hit a couple of key mid-range jumpers and made a monster block on Villanova forward Mouphtaou Yarou. The senior forward is quickly becoming a fan favorite and putting the tiny New England town of Dixfield, Maine on the map.
Notre Dame is now 17-4 overall and 5-3 in BIG EAST play. It’s a big weekend ahead for the Irish, as they embark on their first of two swing trips. They will take on DePaul on Saturday (2 pm ET on ESPN2), before heading to Syracuse for a Big Monday showdown against the #6 Orange (7 pm ET on ESPN).
Upon returning to South Bend, there will be a few days to prepare for the Feb. 9 showdown against #12 Louisville, which is sure to be an exciting night with ESPN’s College GameDay coming to town.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- ND Day starts at 6:42 ET tonight! To learn more & support #NDWBB with vote for $1 million Challenge Fund, click here! notredameday.nd.edu/wbb 2 hours ago
- Day 2 on the road for our coaching staff!!! Full day of great talent in VA and NC!🍀🍀🍀🍀 1 day ago
- #NDWBB fans … check out this video to learn how to contribute and support Women's Basketball on #NDDay, April 26-27 youtube.com/watch?v=KPM03t… 1 day ago
- Hey #NDWBB fans … make sure to take a second and vote for Women's Basketball on Notre Dame Day, April 26 #NDday. goo.gl/LCUfTp 2 days ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: Get out your sunscreen, @ndwbb fans … Irish are headed to Bahamas next Thanksgiving (Nov. 27-28) for @JunkanooJam: http:/… 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Want to see Austin (@Austin_Torres0) pump up the crowd (even) more? Donate at NotreDameDay.ND.edu/mbb #NDmbb5for10 http://t.co/Ep9hQNvfTY 11 minutes ago
- Our FUTURE with a LEGEND. Incoming freshmen Matt Ryan, Rex Pflueger & Elijah Burns w/Hoops Legend Howard Garfinkel. http://t.co/zHGzWVnDpF 1 day ago
- If Matt(@MattyFarr3) makes this, you have to vote 5 times for us for $10 SPLASH: notredameday.nd.edu/mbb #NDmbb5for10 http://t.co/kAV60DXYco 1 day ago
- Our rising Freshmen are officially on the BOARD! We can't wait to get to work with you on the court. 🍀🏀🍀 http://t.co/XGd9Ldj5xj 2 days ago
- We put up some weight today with our Strength Coach, T-Ro. 💪🍀🏀 Because this picture wouldn't be as cool without it. http://t.co/gttd3LXn9Y 3 days ago