Jan 31, 2013, 10:25 AM EDT
During the early part of the Irish season, freshman Cam Biedscheid scored in double digits four times and looked poised to make a big impact off the bench during BIG EAST play.
But through the first part of the conference schedule, the St. Louis native struggled to find his rhythm, going a combined 3-for-23 from the field in the past four games.
On Wednesday night, Biedscheid broke through in a big way. The freshman scored a career-high 18 points, sparking the offense with 15 in the second half and helping lift Notre Dame to a 65-60 win over Villanova at Purcell Pavilion.
On a night where Eric Atkins and Pat Connaughton (the team’s third- and fourth-leading scorers) couldn’t quite find their shooting stroke, Biedscheid knocked down five three-pointers and provided the Irish with a much-needed boost offensively.
Jack Cooley (17 points, 16 rebounds) and Jerian Grant (12 points, 10 assists) also had big games in front of the home crowd. Cooley’s performance was good for the 13th double-double of the season and 26th of his career. It was Grant’s second of the 2012-13 campaign and third during his time at Notre Dame.
After scoring 17 points on Saturday at USF, Tom Knight once again stepped up in his new starting role. Knight notched 10 points, hit a couple of key mid-range jumpers and made a monster block on Villanova forward Mouphtaou Yarou. The senior forward is quickly becoming a fan favorite and putting the tiny New England town of Dixfield, Maine on the map.
Notre Dame is now 17-4 overall and 5-3 in BIG EAST play. It’s a big weekend ahead for the Irish, as they embark on their first of two swing trips. They will take on DePaul on Saturday (2 pm ET on ESPN2), before heading to Syracuse for a Big Monday showdown against the #6 Orange (7 pm ET on ESPN).
Upon returning to South Bend, there will be a few days to prepare for the Feb. 9 showdown against #12 Louisville, which is sure to be an exciting night with ESPN’s College GameDay coming to town.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- HERE COME THE IRISH! Our coaches are looking for the next #NDPotOfGold!! #WillYouBeNext #IrishOnTheTrail #WeLoveGold https://t.co/eoAQbs3kWY 17 hours ago
- 🍀🏀 is coming to your 🏠📺! Hear from @MuffetMcGraw about the BRAND NEW ACC Network!! https://t.co/lMTmF2HVN2 1 day ago
- RT @SLAMonline: .@SkyDigg4 spoke to us about returning from ACL surgery, playing overseas, her partnership w/ @DrinkBODYARMOR & more.https:… 2 days ago
- Dinner with Coach @MuffetMcGraw!! Our team can cook!! (Ok, maybe just the Upperclassmen 😏🤔😆). 🍀🏀 https://t.co/Uep4oZnqER 4 days ago
- Team Brunch! Great way to start the last week of summer school! 🍀😜🍴👌🏽 https://t.co/wOAK94iLYu 5 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @PlanetPat5: I travel light for the most part ✈️ https://t.co/0EjfaZPqrD 12 hours ago
- RT @JonRothstein: Betting against Mike Brey in conference play is like betting against Christian Bale in Batman. twitter.com/jakewright32/s… 13 hours ago
- RT @rexpflueger_1: Great summer session, time to spend sometime at home🙌🏼☀️😎 19 hours ago
- RT @NDmbb: This never gets old... 👀@MattyFarr3 https://t.co/2nigPQiQvO 1 day ago
- ... It's our turn to up the uni game ... ... @UAbasketball knows what we're talking about ... #ShamrockSeries twitter.com/ndfootball/sta… 1 day ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Palmieri Named To Team USA’s World Cup of Hockey Roster
- M. Basketball. Irish Hoops Open Practice Recap
- M. Basketball. Grant, Cooley NBA Summer League Champions
- Fencing. Five More Newcomers To Join Irish This Fall
- M. Lacrosse. Two Irish Representatives Help U.S. Win World U19 Men’s Lacrosse Crown