Jan 31, 2013, 10:25 AM EDT
During the early part of the Irish season, freshman Cam Biedscheid scored in double digits four times and looked poised to make a big impact off the bench during BIG EAST play.
But through the first part of the conference schedule, the St. Louis native struggled to find his rhythm, going a combined 3-for-23 from the field in the past four games.
On Wednesday night, Biedscheid broke through in a big way. The freshman scored a career-high 18 points, sparking the offense with 15 in the second half and helping lift Notre Dame to a 65-60 win over Villanova at Purcell Pavilion.
On a night where Eric Atkins and Pat Connaughton (the team’s third- and fourth-leading scorers) couldn’t quite find their shooting stroke, Biedscheid knocked down five three-pointers and provided the Irish with a much-needed boost offensively.
Jack Cooley (17 points, 16 rebounds) and Jerian Grant (12 points, 10 assists) also had big games in front of the home crowd. Cooley’s performance was good for the 13th double-double of the season and 26th of his career. It was Grant’s second of the 2012-13 campaign and third during his time at Notre Dame.
After scoring 17 points on Saturday at USF, Tom Knight once again stepped up in his new starting role. Knight notched 10 points, hit a couple of key mid-range jumpers and made a monster block on Villanova forward Mouphtaou Yarou. The senior forward is quickly becoming a fan favorite and putting the tiny New England town of Dixfield, Maine on the map.
Notre Dame is now 17-4 overall and 5-3 in BIG EAST play. It’s a big weekend ahead for the Irish, as they embark on their first of two swing trips. They will take on DePaul on Saturday (2 pm ET on ESPN2), before heading to Syracuse for a Big Monday showdown against the #6 Orange (7 pm ET on ESPN).
Upon returning to South Bend, there will be a few days to prepare for the Feb. 9 showdown against #12 Louisville, which is sure to be an exciting night with ESPN’s College GameDay coming to town.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Best of luck to @alipaige_14, starting practice today w/ @usabasketball U19 World Championship Team: http://t.co/SUeTNgrvA9 9 hours ago
- RT @IndianaFever: .@NatAchon leads all @WNBA rookies with 10.2 points per game and ranks 4th among all rookies with 4.4 rebounds per game. … 9 hours ago
- Your daily All-Star ballot for #IrishintheWNBA (twitter handles & #WNBABallot): @NatAchon, @SkyDigg4, @jewellloyd, @kaymac_2123, @MsPeters14 14 hours ago
- She's been part of all 7 #ndwbb Final Four teams and on Monday, @IrishCoachIvey earned a new title - associate coach: und.com/sports/w-baskb… 1 day ago
- RT @alipaige_14: It really hit me today that I am going to be playing for my country...🇺🇸🏀 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDMikeBrey: Watching J's dunk still gives me the chills. It's a no-brainer for @ESPYS best play. Vote at ESPYS.com/vote http:… 6 hours ago
- WHERE'S THE GRAVITY?!!? Jerian's "chin on the rim" dunk is up for @ESPYS Best Play. VOTE NOW: ESPYS.com/vote http://t.co/V0tn1NdQY1 1 day ago
- DJ STARS AT #SC30Select. One of just FOUR college guards invited to @StephenCurry30's camp in California, DJ shines. http://t.co/EhkzY5Ay49 1 day ago
- ENTOURAGE! #HugItOut #NDinNBA twitter.com/jerryferrara/s… 2 days ago
- ONE YEAR AGO: Our alums won the inaugural @thetournament to claim the $500,000 prize & donated $100,000 to charity. http://t.co/3lwvLlr4ya 2 days ago
- W. Golf. Irish Foursome Named To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- Football. Irish Extra: Football 101
- Track. Irish Named To All-ACC Academic Track & Field Teams
- Baseball. Seven Baseball Standouts Earn All-ACC Academic Team Honors
- W. Basketball. Niele Ivey Promoted To Associate Womenâ€™s Basketball Coach