Jan 31, 2013, 10:25 AM EST
During the early part of the Irish season, freshman Cam Biedscheid scored in double digits four times and looked poised to make a big impact off the bench during BIG EAST play.
But through the first part of the conference schedule, the St. Louis native struggled to find his rhythm, going a combined 3-for-23 from the field in the past four games.
On Wednesday night, Biedscheid broke through in a big way. The freshman scored a career-high 18 points, sparking the offense with 15 in the second half and helping lift Notre Dame to a 65-60 win over Villanova at Purcell Pavilion.
On a night where Eric Atkins and Pat Connaughton (the team’s third- and fourth-leading scorers) couldn’t quite find their shooting stroke, Biedscheid knocked down five three-pointers and provided the Irish with a much-needed boost offensively.
Jack Cooley (17 points, 16 rebounds) and Jerian Grant (12 points, 10 assists) also had big games in front of the home crowd. Cooley’s performance was good for the 13th double-double of the season and 26th of his career. It was Grant’s second of the 2012-13 campaign and third during his time at Notre Dame.
After scoring 17 points on Saturday at USF, Tom Knight once again stepped up in his new starting role. Knight notched 10 points, hit a couple of key mid-range jumpers and made a monster block on Villanova forward Mouphtaou Yarou. The senior forward is quickly becoming a fan favorite and putting the tiny New England town of Dixfield, Maine on the map.
Notre Dame is now 17-4 overall and 5-3 in BIG EAST play. It’s a big weekend ahead for the Irish, as they embark on their first of two swing trips. They will take on DePaul on Saturday (2 pm ET on ESPN2), before heading to Syracuse for a Big Monday showdown against the #6 Orange (7 pm ET on ESPN).
Upon returning to South Bend, there will be a few days to prepare for the Feb. 9 showdown against #12 Louisville, which is sure to be an exciting night with ESPN’s College GameDay coming to town.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- For the second time this season, Madison Cable is named @accwbb Player of the Week! https://t.co/Rj5mFnLXJv 4 hours ago
- Your expression when Coach gives you the day off from practice after a hard fought win on the road. #NDWBB https://t.co/jMqR661GsI 5 hours ago
- Yes, Lindsay!! Named a finalist today for Nancy Lieberman Award as nation's top PG. hoophall.com/news/2016/2/8/… https://t.co/mOjYsaG93E 8 hours ago
- RT @wbca1981: Here's @MuffetMcGraw of @ndwbb with her #MondayMotivation https://t.co/QpjTwEdMDA 8 hours ago
- Great to have Jackie and Erin at the game today. The future is bright for @ndwbb 🍀 #NDClassof2020 https://t.co/841If4S64R 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Burg, a senior captain, will miss 2nd-straight game due to ankle injury (Clemson - 9pm - ESPNU). He is day-to-day. https://t.co/iTaGPE0c80 29 minutes ago
- WE READY. 🍀GAME INFO🍀 🏀ND | Clemson 📅Tonight ⏰9pm 📺ESPNU https://t.co/DItHqW28KJ 37 minutes ago
- Before our game tonight at Clemson (9pm - ESPNU), re-live the entire story of our win over #2 UNC in IRISH ACCESS. amp.twimg.com/v/ccee11e4-592… 1 hour ago
- 🌌TORRES TAKES TO THE SKY We're ready for an old-fashioned ACC Tussle. 🍀GAME INFO🍀 🏀ND | CU 📅Tonight ⏰9pm 📺ESPNU https://t.co/lqe20773eP 5 hours ago
- NEVER stop working on your game. Rex (@rexpflueger_1) gets some shots up 🍀GAME INFO🍀 🏀ND | CU 📅Tonight ⏰9pm 📺ESPNU https://t.co/ufiY2coc4o 6 hours ago
- W. Basketball. Cable, Allen Earn Awards For Basketball Success
- M. Ice Hockey. Gross Honored and Irish Move up to #8 in the National Polls After Weekend Sweep
- M. Basketball. Irish Head To Clemson For A Key ACC Battle
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #3 Notre Dame 66, #13 Louisville 61
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Rally Past #13 Louisville, 66-61