Jan 29, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT
Saturday night at the Purcell Pavilion in South Bend, Skylar Diggins became just the fourth player in Notre Dame women’s basketball history to cross the 2000-point threshold. Going into the game against Providence, Diggins had 1999 points, so there was clearly an expectation that she would surpass the mark.
Postgame, Diggins recalled, “I wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible, just not think about it.” She was successful in that, as she scored on a break away just four seconds into the game.
“The roar that came when I made the basket is something I’ll never forget, and it’s special because I’m from here.”
When asked about the play, Diggins replied, “I knew how close I was–I knew when I was in Pitt how close I was, and Ace (Natalie Achonwa) has been doing a good job getting a tip and came back and threw a perfect pass, so I had the easy part.”
Coach Muffet McGraw remarked after the game, “[Skylar] took over the game. I think she actually outscored [Providence] in the first half by herself.
Despite not playing for the majority of the second half, Diggins totaled a game-high 21 points in a game that was lopsided from the start–at halftime the Irish led 46-15, and the final score was 89-44. Achonwa also had a big game, putting up 14 points and 12 rebounds for a double-double.
The Fighting Irish’s all-time leading scorer in women’s basketball is current associate coach Beth Cunningham, which adds an interesting dynamic on the sideline. Instead of competition with Diggins for the title, however, Coach McGraw believes “Beth will be the biggest cheerleader for [Diggins] to do that.”
The BIG EAST win over Providence (6-13) brought the Irish to an 18-1 record (7-0 in the BIG EAST), and one step closer to the top of the standings.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDsidMasters: FINAL INFOGRAPHIC: Notre Dame defeats @StanfordWBB as Lindsay Allen scores a career-high 28 points. http://t.co/NO3tW71Y0j 2 minutes ago
- Following your lead, @NDmbb! ELITE 8! Here come the Irish! Final: Irish 81 Stanford 60 22 minutes ago
- Another timeout with 3:51 left in the game. Irish lead 75-56 29 minutes ago
- Sweet passing from LA to Jewell to Taya for the bucket! Irish lead 75-54 with timeout at 4:39 33 minutes ago
- And now the crowd and band are all cheering "Hannah Huffman." Well deserved, @HannahHuff22 37 minutes ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- "Hey J, rock some J Cole..." -Pat #NotDoneYet #CaptionThis http://t.co/qFmNfsLgt0 2 hours ago
- RT @NDSlo: Dream Big Dreams...#NotDoneYet🏀🍀 http://t.co/P3rD1xwtKR 4 hours ago
- The "loosest" Coach with the "loosest" Team in America. #NotDoneYet http://t.co/AUSEwuqzti 6 hours ago
- RT @NDSlo: From April to the "Elite 8".#NotDoneYet🏀🍀 http://t.co/1CepN6AlZ3 7 hours ago
- Half court shot? It's a layup for Matt Gregory... #NotDoneYet http://t.co/8eOwAylZmA 7 hours ago
- W. Golf. Irish Sit In Seventh At Loaded LSU Tiger Golf Classic After Day One
- W. Tennis. No. 36 Irish Upend Wolfpack 6-1
- W. Basketball. Sweet 16 Preview: (1) Notre Dame vs. (4) Stanford
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame's Turner is Exceeding Expectations Offensively
- M. Basketball. Berth In Final Four For Irish Against Top-Ranked Kentucky