Jan 29, 2013, 3:33 PM EST
Saturday night at the Purcell Pavilion in South Bend, Skylar Diggins became just the fourth player in Notre Dame women’s basketball history to cross the 2000-point threshold. Going into the game against Providence, Diggins had 1999 points, so there was clearly an expectation that she would surpass the mark.
Postgame, Diggins recalled, “I wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible, just not think about it.” She was successful in that, as she scored on a break away just four seconds into the game.
“The roar that came when I made the basket is something I’ll never forget, and it’s special because I’m from here.”
When asked about the play, Diggins replied, “I knew how close I was–I knew when I was in Pitt how close I was, and Ace (Natalie Achonwa) has been doing a good job getting a tip and came back and threw a perfect pass, so I had the easy part.”
Coach Muffet McGraw remarked after the game, “[Skylar] took over the game. I think she actually outscored [Providence] in the first half by herself.
Despite not playing for the majority of the second half, Diggins totaled a game-high 21 points in a game that was lopsided from the start–at halftime the Irish led 46-15, and the final score was 89-44. Achonwa also had a big game, putting up 14 points and 12 rebounds for a double-double.
The Fighting Irish’s all-time leading scorer in women’s basketball is current associate coach Beth Cunningham, which adds an interesting dynamic on the sideline. Instead of competition with Diggins for the title, however, Coach McGraw believes “Beth will be the biggest cheerleader for [Diggins] to do that.”
The BIG EAST win over Providence (6-13) brought the Irish to an 18-1 record (7-0 in the BIG EAST), and one step closer to the top of the standings.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Can you hear us cheering from Louisville 🙌 Congrats to @NDmbb on a HUGE WIN over #2 UNC 🍀🏀🍀 #GoIrish 3 hours ago
- Getting ready for Louisville! Arike is taking over @ndwbb snapchat today during our travels ✈️ Make sure to follow 🍀 11 hours ago
- The top 2 teams in the ACC will square off Sunday at 2 pm ET as @ndwbb heads to Louisville. Game will be on ESPN2 https://t.co/uITHIcahXy 12 hours ago
- All the excitement of @CollegeGameDay here in South Bend today! https://t.co/GGONNnefj8 12 hours ago
- RT @MagicJohnson: Amazing business meeting with @SkyDigg4. Now I can see why she's a great PG, because she's a very intelligent woman! http… 13 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Goodnight. https://t.co/xIntJsoyNu 40 minutes ago
- RT @UAbasketball: No luck. All skill and will. #GoIrish #IWILL https://t.co/74noDfSGmU 1 hour ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: Can we stop calling wins vs. top-ranked teams "upsets" for Coach Brey & his team? CROWD was amazing for us tonight! h… 1 hour ago
- RT @ESPNCBB: Current mood https://t.co/0DynWODE1w 1 hour ago
- 🌎IT'S BONZIE'S WORLD... Props to our students, community & all ND fans for supporting us in our win over #2 UNC. https://t.co/XGCgH8PUdO 1 hour ago