Jan 29, 2013, 3:33 PM EST
Saturday night at the Purcell Pavilion in South Bend, Skylar Diggins became just the fourth player in Notre Dame women’s basketball history to cross the 2000-point threshold. Going into the game against Providence, Diggins had 1999 points, so there was clearly an expectation that she would surpass the mark.
Postgame, Diggins recalled, “I wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible, just not think about it.” She was successful in that, as she scored on a break away just four seconds into the game.
“The roar that came when I made the basket is something I’ll never forget, and it’s special because I’m from here.”
When asked about the play, Diggins replied, “I knew how close I was–I knew when I was in Pitt how close I was, and Ace (Natalie Achonwa) has been doing a good job getting a tip and came back and threw a perfect pass, so I had the easy part.”
Coach Muffet McGraw remarked after the game, “[Skylar] took over the game. I think she actually outscored [Providence] in the first half by herself.
Despite not playing for the majority of the second half, Diggins totaled a game-high 21 points in a game that was lopsided from the start–at halftime the Irish led 46-15, and the final score was 89-44. Achonwa also had a big game, putting up 14 points and 12 rebounds for a double-double.
The Fighting Irish’s all-time leading scorer in women’s basketball is current associate coach Beth Cunningham, which adds an interesting dynamic on the sideline. Instead of competition with Diggins for the title, however, Coach McGraw believes “Beth will be the biggest cheerleader for [Diggins] to do that.”
The BIG EAST win over Providence (6-13) brought the Irish to an 18-1 record (7-0 in the BIG EAST), and one step closer to the top of the standings.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Bring a new Teddy Bear or other soft toy tomorrow night for halftime! @NDWBB vs. Ohio State 7 pm Purcell Pavilion https://t.co/mMLba2m4hV 5 hours ago
- Congrats to Marina ... ACC Rookie of the Week! https://t.co/uTeYehzxoD 1 day ago
- https://t.co/IdsTYXgC7U 1 day ago
- Big week for @ndwbb!! Wednesday (12/2) 🍀 Home vs Ohio State (7 pm EST) Saturday (12/5) ✈️ Away vs UCONN (5:15 pm EST) 1 day ago
- Here's the recap, stats and notes from our OT win over UCLA today in the Bahamas … GO IRISH! und.com/sports/w-baskb… https://t.co/1jrS69vPjQ 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- ALL THE INFO you need on Troy Murphy's Ring of Honor induction. 🏀ND | BC 📅Jan. 23 🎫: UND.com/BuyTickets vine.co/v/OFbeBAVx6hm 2 hours ago
- RT @NDMikeBrey: He was on my 1st ND team & is one of best to ever wear our jersey. Honored to put Murph in Ring of Honor on Jan 23! https:… 4 hours ago
- BREAKING: Troy Murphy next Ring of Honor honoree. Why Murph? 2x BIG EAST PotY 2x Consensus All-🇺🇸 NBA Lottery Pick https://t.co/Mk50Lvr4zx 5 hours ago
- RT @GoIrish: Only 3 hours left of the Black Friday Sale! Save up to 50% on select ND Athletic events! goo.gl/rj5R7x https://t.co/… 1 day ago
- Our final shot comes up short. We bounce back on Wednesday at Illinois at 9:15pm. https://t.co/0YC1h17nKW 1 day ago
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Travels to Illinois for Big Ten/ACC Challenge
- M. Basketball. Former Irish Basketball Great Troy Murphy to be Next Ring of Honor Inductee
- Football. An Entertainer On And Off The Field
- M. Tennis. Getting To Know: Alex Lebedev
- Baseball. High Expectations Surround Baseball As Fall Concludes