Jan 29, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT
Saturday night at the Purcell Pavilion in South Bend, Skylar Diggins became just the fourth player in Notre Dame women’s basketball history to cross the 2000-point threshold. Going into the game against Providence, Diggins had 1999 points, so there was clearly an expectation that she would surpass the mark.
Postgame, Diggins recalled, “I wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible, just not think about it.” She was successful in that, as she scored on a break away just four seconds into the game.
“The roar that came when I made the basket is something I’ll never forget, and it’s special because I’m from here.”
When asked about the play, Diggins replied, “I knew how close I was–I knew when I was in Pitt how close I was, and Ace (Natalie Achonwa) has been doing a good job getting a tip and came back and threw a perfect pass, so I had the easy part.”
Coach Muffet McGraw remarked after the game, “[Skylar] took over the game. I think she actually outscored [Providence] in the first half by herself.
Despite not playing for the majority of the second half, Diggins totaled a game-high 21 points in a game that was lopsided from the start–at halftime the Irish led 46-15, and the final score was 89-44. Achonwa also had a big game, putting up 14 points and 12 rebounds for a double-double.
The Fighting Irish’s all-time leading scorer in women’s basketball is current associate coach Beth Cunningham, which adds an interesting dynamic on the sideline. Instead of competition with Diggins for the title, however, Coach McGraw believes “Beth will be the biggest cheerleader for [Diggins] to do that.”
The BIG EAST win over Providence (6-13) brought the Irish to an 18-1 record (7-0 in the BIG EAST), and one step closer to the top of the standings.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- 📸 Lights, camera, action! A few interviews before practice! #GoIrish☘️ | #Sweet16 https://t.co/txGdrIbrpk 6 hours ago
- 🎤🎥 @JShepard32 asking @mmabrey1 all the hard hitting questions 🤷♀️ #ncaaW #NDSweet16 #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/OmZFy9fwoC 8 hours ago
- Irish are ☝️ of 4️⃣ teams to make 9 straight Sweet 16s ☘️☘️ ND 🆚 Texas A&M on Saturday at 4 pm ET on @espn https://t.co/VY9feS8iYt 12 hours ago
- We 👀 you, @NatAchon!! #IrishForever ☘🏆🏀 twitter.com/IndianaFever/s… 13 hours ago
- 2018 signee, Danielle Cosgrove, named Suffolk County Player of the Year! Congrats, @cosgro6! 🎉 #FutureLooksBright… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 15 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- With a @CollegeSLAM 3pt invite secured... @MattyFarr3 ready to take on the nation’s best shooters on national TV Ma… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- ☘️💛💙☘️ https://t.co/bXSccdR4YR 4 days ago
- DEFENSE name of the game thus far OFFENSE ready to roll in 2nd half Catch the rally on ESPN https://t.co/BxmcR590rs 4 days ago
- Ready to kick off a St. Patricks’s Day celebration with a W Starting 🖐 vs Penn State 👑 @rexpflueger 🕷 @MattyFarr3… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 days ago
- #DunksDuLac In green. On St. Patrick’s Day. #NotDoneYet ND vs PSU | Noon | Saturday | ESPN https://t.co/SVTuSKFSef 5 days ago
- Baseball. Irish Drop Home Opener to NIU
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Ready For Speedy NCAA Championship Week
- Track & Field. Nathan Richartz Named ACC Field Performer Of The Week
- Softball. Irish And Western Michigan Game Rescheduled For April 17
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Set To Host Michigan In Midweek Matchup