Jan 29, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT
Saturday night at the Purcell Pavilion in South Bend, Skylar Diggins became just the fourth player in Notre Dame women’s basketball history to cross the 2000-point threshold. Going into the game against Providence, Diggins had 1999 points, so there was clearly an expectation that she would surpass the mark.
Postgame, Diggins recalled, “I wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible, just not think about it.” She was successful in that, as she scored on a break away just four seconds into the game.
“The roar that came when I made the basket is something I’ll never forget, and it’s special because I’m from here.”
When asked about the play, Diggins replied, “I knew how close I was–I knew when I was in Pitt how close I was, and Ace (Natalie Achonwa) has been doing a good job getting a tip and came back and threw a perfect pass, so I had the easy part.”
Coach Muffet McGraw remarked after the game, “[Skylar] took over the game. I think she actually outscored [Providence] in the first half by herself.
Despite not playing for the majority of the second half, Diggins totaled a game-high 21 points in a game that was lopsided from the start–at halftime the Irish led 46-15, and the final score was 89-44. Achonwa also had a big game, putting up 14 points and 12 rebounds for a double-double.
The Fighting Irish’s all-time leading scorer in women’s basketball is current associate coach Beth Cunningham, which adds an interesting dynamic on the sideline. Instead of competition with Diggins for the title, however, Coach McGraw believes “Beth will be the biggest cheerleader for [Diggins] to do that.”
The BIG EAST win over Providence (6-13) brought the Irish to an 18-1 record (7-0 in the BIG EAST), and one step closer to the top of the standings.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- “Notre Dame is such a magical place. You can really feel the tradition when you walk around this campus.” -… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Catch @MuffetMcGraw on @ESPNUonSiriusXM 📻 at 11:15 am ET https://t.co/c7adM4MRGv 2 days ago
- ICYMI: @Arike_O & @mmabrey1 took over ACC Media Day 💯 https://t.co/EeVxmWiRGE 2 days ago
- That’s a wrap on #ACCMediaDay Back to the Bend! 🛩 https://t.co/y5UEOOhReL 3 days ago
- #Buckets 🏀 #ACCMediaDay https://t.co/ag7cKoC3sU 3 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Great to put on the uniforms and 🏀compete🏀 First step toward our goals this season. ND 97, Holy Cross College 57 (… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- That's a final. @Martin_Geben 20 pts, 11 rebs @rexpflueger 18 pts, 8 rebs https://t.co/S9zGoAjbF5 2 days ago
- A 21-0 run highlights the first half. Irish hold HCC to 24.2 FG% Colson 9 pts, 8 rebs Farrell 11 pts Geben 9 pts, 6… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Ready to go in Purcell! Follow @NDmbbSID for regular score updates tonight. Text IRISH to 91999 to help with… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Happy Birthday or su gimtadieniu (in Lithuanian) to our #23! https://t.co/MhKe8dilsh 2 days ago
- W. Rowing. Championship Eight, Four Compete At Head Of The Charles
- W. Volleyball. Irish Stun Miami In Incredible 3-2 Comeback Victory
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In ITA Midwest Regional Quarterfinal
- Football. Replay: Trojans No Match for Physical Irish
- M. Golf. Irish to Compete in Final Fall Tournament