Jan 29, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT
Saturday night at the Purcell Pavilion in South Bend, Skylar Diggins became just the fourth player in Notre Dame women’s basketball history to cross the 2000-point threshold. Going into the game against Providence, Diggins had 1999 points, so there was clearly an expectation that she would surpass the mark.
Postgame, Diggins recalled, “I wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible, just not think about it.” She was successful in that, as she scored on a break away just four seconds into the game.
“The roar that came when I made the basket is something I’ll never forget, and it’s special because I’m from here.”
When asked about the play, Diggins replied, “I knew how close I was–I knew when I was in Pitt how close I was, and Ace (Natalie Achonwa) has been doing a good job getting a tip and came back and threw a perfect pass, so I had the easy part.”
Coach Muffet McGraw remarked after the game, “[Skylar] took over the game. I think she actually outscored [Providence] in the first half by herself.
Despite not playing for the majority of the second half, Diggins totaled a game-high 21 points in a game that was lopsided from the start–at halftime the Irish led 46-15, and the final score was 89-44. Achonwa also had a big game, putting up 14 points and 12 rebounds for a double-double.
The Fighting Irish’s all-time leading scorer in women’s basketball is current associate coach Beth Cunningham, which adds an interesting dynamic on the sideline. Instead of competition with Diggins for the title, however, Coach McGraw believes “Beth will be the biggest cheerleader for [Diggins] to do that.”
The BIG EAST win over Providence (6-13) brought the Irish to an 18-1 record (7-0 in the BIG EAST), and one step closer to the top of the standings.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Challenge Accepted! @ndwbb will take on the Iowa Hawkeyes Nov. 30 in Iowa as part of the #WACCB1G Challenge. https://t.co/lQV2bpGnYH 4 hours ago
- What Challenge lies ahead for the Irish in 2016-17? Find out Wednesday morning #GameOn https://t.co/Gqo5KgaCln 20 hours ago
- Hey @NDAtlanta members! The WNBA @AtlantaDream is making it easier to watch @ndwbb pros this summer in Atlanta! https://t.co/kV6Ijg4kJt 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘Leading from the start... 9 days into @WNBA season, ND's Kayla McBride ranks 2nd overall in scoring (22 pts/game). htt… 1 day ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: Here's a small taste of why KMac is tied for 2nd in the @WNBA in scoring this year at 22.0 ppg! #IrishintheWNBA https://t… 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: ND ➡️ Delaware Congrats @NDmbb Ast. Coach Ingelsby on being Delaware's new head coach READ: und.com/sports/m-baskb… htt… 4 hours ago
- With unveiling of our 2016 ACC-B1G Challenge opponent - IOWA - let's look at our last meeting, a 68-62 win in 2015. amp.twimg.com/v/1b7670bd-64c… 16 hours ago
- RT @UDBlueHens: #BlueHens will welcome Martin Ingelsby as new @DelawareMBB Head Coach tomorrow at 11 a.m. bluehens.com/ViewArticle.db… https://t… 16 hours ago
- Teacher. Mentor. Friend. Steve Vasturia on Ast. Coach & ND alum Martin Ingelsby being named Delaware Head Coach... https://t.co/fLJMGZ2RoJ 19 hours ago
- 🍀Alum:✔️ 🍀Assistant:✔️ Delaware Head Coach:✔️ Congrats to Coach Ingelsby on the new gig! ➡️ und.com/sports/m-baskb… https://t.co/HfK2AONMia 20 hours ago
- M. Basketball. Ingelsby Accepts Delaware Head Coach Position
- W. Volleyball. Irish Volleyball Adds Klein & Truett To 2016 Roster
- W. Tennis. Irish Insights: NCAA Singles Championship
- M. Basketball. Irish To Welcome Hawkeyes In 'Challenge' Rematch
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Named National ITA Arthur Ashe Award Winner