Jan 29, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT
Saturday night at the Purcell Pavilion in South Bend, Skylar Diggins became just the fourth player in Notre Dame women’s basketball history to cross the 2000-point threshold. Going into the game against Providence, Diggins had 1999 points, so there was clearly an expectation that she would surpass the mark.
Postgame, Diggins recalled, “I wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible, just not think about it.” She was successful in that, as she scored on a break away just four seconds into the game.
“The roar that came when I made the basket is something I’ll never forget, and it’s special because I’m from here.”
When asked about the play, Diggins replied, “I knew how close I was–I knew when I was in Pitt how close I was, and Ace (Natalie Achonwa) has been doing a good job getting a tip and came back and threw a perfect pass, so I had the easy part.”
Coach Muffet McGraw remarked after the game, “[Skylar] took over the game. I think she actually outscored [Providence] in the first half by herself.
Despite not playing for the majority of the second half, Diggins totaled a game-high 21 points in a game that was lopsided from the start–at halftime the Irish led 46-15, and the final score was 89-44. Achonwa also had a big game, putting up 14 points and 12 rebounds for a double-double.
The Fighting Irish’s all-time leading scorer in women’s basketball is current associate coach Beth Cunningham, which adds an interesting dynamic on the sideline. Instead of competition with Diggins for the title, however, Coach McGraw believes “Beth will be the biggest cheerleader for [Diggins] to do that.”
The BIG EAST win over Providence (6-13) brought the Irish to an 18-1 record (7-0 in the BIG EAST), and one step closer to the top of the standings.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Final Exams have started 📚📝 Best of luck to our @ndwbb ladies and all @NotreDame students as they CONQUER this week 🍀 7 hours ago
- April showers have brought May flowers here at #NotreDame. No denying the beauty of this campus! https://t.co/5TdnjAc3GJ 1 day ago
- Looking Good! Excited to see former @ndwbb great @kaymac_2123 featured on the @SAStars season ticket card for '16! https://t.co/XU3ppj82tk 3 days ago
- RT @IndyStarSports: Female Athlete of the Year at the #INSportsAwards goes to recently named Miss Basketball --@JackieYoung3. https://t.co/… 3 days ago
- 🏀 @ndwbb will welcome the reigning Indiana Miss Basketball to campus for 2nd year in a row & 3rd time in 8 yrs! https://t.co/BWMmV2WWat 3 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- VJ Beachem announces he will return for his senior season. VJ was named to NCAA East Regional Team. #BeachIsBack https://t.co/l08VkNQWb6 19 hours ago
- RT @NDMikeBrey: VJ did a great job gathering feedback from NBA. I'm thrilled he will return to lead us next season! #BeachIsBack https://… 21 hours ago
- RT @VjBeachem: Thankful for the opportunity to experience the NBA Draft process and invites to workout for teams but now I'm ready to lead… 21 hours ago
- Pat Connaughton & the @TrailBlazers begin Round 2 of the NBA Playoffs vs the Golden State Warriors Sunday. #NDinNBA https://t.co/QAdhiiHHal 1 day ago
- Cousy Award finalist Demetrius Jackson invited to NBA Draft Combine. 🍀Resume 🏀Captain 🏀Winner 🏀15.8ppg #NDinNBA https://t.co/o5jqgJVoIa 1 day ago
- W. Golf. Irish Bound For NCAA Birmingham Regional
- M. Basketball. V.J. Beachem To Return For The 2016-17 Season
- Softball. #19/18 Irish Split Strikeout Cancer Series With #RV Louisville
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Sunday Doubleheader To Ohio
- M. Lacrosse. Sunday Brunch: Irish Are Right There—They Need to Make One More Play