Jan 29, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT
Saturday night at the Purcell Pavilion in South Bend, Skylar Diggins became just the fourth player in Notre Dame women’s basketball history to cross the 2000-point threshold. Going into the game against Providence, Diggins had 1999 points, so there was clearly an expectation that she would surpass the mark.
Postgame, Diggins recalled, “I wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible, just not think about it.” She was successful in that, as she scored on a break away just four seconds into the game.
“The roar that came when I made the basket is something I’ll never forget, and it’s special because I’m from here.”
When asked about the play, Diggins replied, “I knew how close I was–I knew when I was in Pitt how close I was, and Ace (Natalie Achonwa) has been doing a good job getting a tip and came back and threw a perfect pass, so I had the easy part.”
Coach Muffet McGraw remarked after the game, “[Skylar] took over the game. I think she actually outscored [Providence] in the first half by herself.
Despite not playing for the majority of the second half, Diggins totaled a game-high 21 points in a game that was lopsided from the start–at halftime the Irish led 46-15, and the final score was 89-44. Achonwa also had a big game, putting up 14 points and 12 rebounds for a double-double.
The Fighting Irish’s all-time leading scorer in women’s basketball is current associate coach Beth Cunningham, which adds an interesting dynamic on the sideline. Instead of competition with Diggins for the title, however, Coach McGraw believes “Beth will be the biggest cheerleader for [Diggins] to do that.”
The BIG EAST win over Providence (6-13) brought the Irish to an 18-1 record (7-0 in the BIG EAST), and one step closer to the top of the standings.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- 💥 Show your 🍀 pride & join the #Sweet16 send off! 🎉 📍 Griffin Gate Marriott (1800 Newtown Pike, Lexington) ⏰ 4:45p… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 0 minutes ago
- Sleep tight, Irish fans. Gameday awaits. ☘️ https://t.co/ZQ7OBGjm0p 9 hours ago
- Happy #NationalPuppyDay from the squad! ☘️🐶😂 https://t.co/PDgwXUSZ4D 11 hours ago
- Get your 🎫 to see the 🍀! 👉🏽 goo.gl/oMwOHh https://t.co/2MKJsQJHyu 15 hours ago
- Unfinished Business in the Bluegrass State 🍀 https://t.co/C163z0O2IM 15 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDTheLeprechaun: Let's give the @NDmbb managers some love here !! twitter.com/managergames_/… 2 days ago
- RT @ManagerGames_: EAST SWEET 16 (EXP score as 50% of vote) 3-Notre Dame (51.7%) 7-Georgia (48.3%) gofundme.com/manager-games @NDmbb @ugamb… 2 days ago
- LOOK AT THE FOCUS of Dan Brndjar, one of our senior managers in the running to PLAY AT THE FINAL FOUR! Vote now:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- 🚨🚨Notre Dame Record 🚨🚨 Vasturia - 91-100 FTs (.910) in 16-17. Breaks @rhoover4's .905 in 93-94. Only 2nd +.900 seas… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago
- 7 NCAA wins. School-record 82 wins in 3 years. School-record 97 wins in 4 years. #Legacy https://t.co/OwAUF83y2I 5 days ago
- Baseball. Irish Host Florida State For Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. 200 Free Relay Earn All- American Honors in Second Day of Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- Softball. Irish Welcome Virginia Tech For Key ACC Series
- Fencing. Irish Surge Into First Place On Day One At NCAA Championship
- Fencing. Notre Dame, Ohio State, Columbia Top Standings After Day 1 of NCAA Championships