Jan 29, 2013, 3:41 PM EST
Monday night was huge for the Notre Dame women’s basketball team.
Skylar Diggins, fresh off a record-setting game in which she scored her 2000th career point, put up a career-high single-game point total. The team beat the Lady Vols in Knoxville, Tenn. for the first time ever. And they made history by becoming the first NCAA women’s team to beat both Connecticut and Tennessee in three consecutive seasons, as well as becoming the first team to beat both of those teams on the road in the same season.
Jewell Loyd, Madison Cable, and Kayla McBride were the next three highest scorers with 10, nine, and nine points, respectively, en route to the Irish’s 77-67 victory that boosted Notre Dame to a 19-1 overall record, 7-0 in the BIG EAST.
Notre Dame sits second among a very interesting top four in women’s college basketball. Baylor (18-1) is first, followed by Notre Dame (19-1), Connecticut (18-1), and Stanford (18-2). While those teams are decidedly the top four, one could make an argument for almost any ordering.
Baylor’s only loss comes from Stanford, Notre Dame’s only loss comes from Baylor, Connecticut’s only loss comes from Notre Dame, and Stanford’s two losses come from Connecticut and #6 California (17-2).
All of that, however, only matters in determining the seeding for the quickly-approaching NCAA tournament in March. The remainder of Notre Dame’s schedule will be a chance for them to prove that they deserve a top seed with important BIG EAST matchups against #12 Louisville (17-4, 5-2), Syracuse (16-3, 4-2) and an inevitably intense rematch at home with #3 Connecticut (18-1, 5-1) in the final game of the season.
The Fighting Irish will take on Cincinnati (8-11, 0-6) this Saturday at 2 pm ET in the Purcell Pavilion. Watch it live on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Why are these people watching the Mabrey sisters on the bball court this afternoon? @GWR, we'll be in touch soon 🏅 https://t.co/soFFsYomvj 1 hour ago
- Lindsay Allen is in the running for the #LiebermanAward, which honors the nation's best PG. This is why 🏀 🍀 🏀 https://t.co/xNo2wptIES 4 hours ago
- Did you know? Trena Keys was 1st African American to receive a @ndwbb scholarship in 82-83. #BlackHistoryMonth https://t.co/7by98oz9pU 6 hours ago
- We would take you in a 💚beat! twitter.com/kaymac_2123/st… 21 hours ago
- For the second time this season, Madison Cable is named @accwbb Player of the Week! https://t.co/Rj5mFnLXJv 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- TODAY IN HISTORY: 4OT's vs G'town ND 116 | G'town 111 @Matt13Carroll @BigSwan42 @jordancornette @IndianaJ0NESY https://t.co/HtlicnAtjQ 2 hours ago
- TODAY IN HISTORY: THE 5OT GAME 🏀@CollegeGameday ⏰Longest Regular Season Game in BIG EAST History 🍀104-101 ND win amp.twimg.com/v/90943d73-f42… 4 hours ago
- RT @JonRothstein: Mike Brey is going Mike Brey on the rest of the ACC. Notre Dame has now won seven of its last nine after tonight's road w… 7 hours ago
- Head to bed early & miss our late night win at Clemson? Take a look at our top photos as we move to 8-4 in the ACC. https://t.co/UrdBneJL0D 9 hours ago
- ANOTHER WIN. ANOTHER JUMP. Take a quick listen to Coach Brey's locker room speech after our 89-83 win at Clemson. https://t.co/NuKm6LUQrO 17 hours ago
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Posts Runner-Up Finish at Yestingsmeier Match Play
- M. Basketball. AJ Meyer: He's Notre Dame Basketball's Secret Weapon
- M. Basketball. Irish Continue Road Dawg Attitude Beating Clemson On Road, 89-83
- M. Golf. Men’s Golf Posts Pair of Thrilling Wins at Yestingsmeier Match Play
- Softball. The Top 10: Conference History