Jan 29, 2013, 3:41 PM EDT
Monday night was huge for the Notre Dame women’s basketball team.
Skylar Diggins, fresh off a record-setting game in which she scored her 2000th career point, put up a career-high single-game point total. The team beat the Lady Vols in Knoxville, Tenn. for the first time ever. And they made history by becoming the first NCAA women’s team to beat both Connecticut and Tennessee in three consecutive seasons, as well as becoming the first team to beat both of those teams on the road in the same season.
Jewell Loyd, Madison Cable, and Kayla McBride were the next three highest scorers with 10, nine, and nine points, respectively, en route to the Irish’s 77-67 victory that boosted Notre Dame to a 19-1 overall record, 7-0 in the BIG EAST.
Notre Dame sits second among a very interesting top four in women’s college basketball. Baylor (18-1) is first, followed by Notre Dame (19-1), Connecticut (18-1), and Stanford (18-2). While those teams are decidedly the top four, one could make an argument for almost any ordering.
Baylor’s only loss comes from Stanford, Notre Dame’s only loss comes from Baylor, Connecticut’s only loss comes from Notre Dame, and Stanford’s two losses come from Connecticut and #6 California (17-2).
All of that, however, only matters in determining the seeding for the quickly-approaching NCAA tournament in March. The remainder of Notre Dame’s schedule will be a chance for them to prove that they deserve a top seed with important BIG EAST matchups against #12 Louisville (17-4, 5-2), Syracuse (16-3, 4-2) and an inevitably intense rematch at home with #3 Connecticut (18-1, 5-1) in the final game of the season.
The Fighting Irish will take on Cincinnati (8-11, 0-6) this Saturday at 2 pm ET in the Purcell Pavilion. Watch it live on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Thank you to those who made the ultimate sacrifice & those who continue to protect and serve. God Bless America 🇺🇸 https://t.co/A9P4KIFqRD 18 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: DID YOU KNOW? Over the past 5 seasons, @ndwbb has won 56 of its 58 regular-season road games. #NDFacts https://t.co/rS… 1 day ago
- On Indy 500 Sunday, #IrishintheWNBA has 2 Indiana Fever players in action, plus a certain Indiana Miss Basketball! https://t.co/x7iCVxIDVb 1 day ago
- Splash Brothers weren't only ones lighting it up last night, right Jewell? #IrishintheWNBA wnba.com/game/20160528/… https://t.co/hhBOFe4Tag 1 day ago
- #IrishintheWNBA rolls on tonight with All-American & 2015 espnW National Player of the Year Jewell Loyd in action! https://t.co/EK3sern1Gn 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: RUST LIGHTS THE LAMP! 🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨 @NDHockey's Bryan Rust scores the first goal of #StanleyCup Final for the @Penguins. htt… 10 hours ago
- To those who gave us their "last full measure of devotion" - we are thankful & blessed each and every day. https://t.co/pkqwisPpeo 17 hours ago
- A Sunday wouldn't be complete without a trick shot from one of our guys... REX FROM THE STANDS!! 👀@rexpflueger_1 https://t.co/K78A5Uvoix 1 day ago
- SATURDAY SWAT. Presented by VJ Beachem. 👀@VjBeachem https://t.co/mOxMfliK1Q 2 days ago
- RT @bhans23: Bigtime congrats to @MIND2424 on being named head coach at Delaware! Was lucky to have him as a Coach during my playing days a… 3 days ago
- M. Tennis. Irish Run Ends In NCAA Doubles Semifinal
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Landis Repeats as USILA's Top Defensive Player
- Track. Barber and 4x400m Relay Punch Tickets to NCAA Championship
- M. Tennis. Lawson, Monaghan Punch Ticket To NCAA Semifinal
- M. Lacrosse. Landis, Perkovic Pace Notre Dame on USILA All-America Squad