Jan 29, 2013, 3:41 PM EDT
Monday night was huge for the Notre Dame women’s basketball team.
Skylar Diggins, fresh off a record-setting game in which she scored her 2000th career point, put up a career-high single-game point total. The team beat the Lady Vols in Knoxville, Tenn. for the first time ever. And they made history by becoming the first NCAA women’s team to beat both Connecticut and Tennessee in three consecutive seasons, as well as becoming the first team to beat both of those teams on the road in the same season.
Jewell Loyd, Madison Cable, and Kayla McBride were the next three highest scorers with 10, nine, and nine points, respectively, en route to the Irish’s 77-67 victory that boosted Notre Dame to a 19-1 overall record, 7-0 in the BIG EAST.
Notre Dame sits second among a very interesting top four in women’s college basketball. Baylor (18-1) is first, followed by Notre Dame (19-1), Connecticut (18-1), and Stanford (18-2). While those teams are decidedly the top four, one could make an argument for almost any ordering.
Baylor’s only loss comes from Stanford, Notre Dame’s only loss comes from Baylor, Connecticut’s only loss comes from Notre Dame, and Stanford’s two losses come from Connecticut and #6 California (17-2).
All of that, however, only matters in determining the seeding for the quickly-approaching NCAA tournament in March. The remainder of Notre Dame’s schedule will be a chance for them to prove that they deserve a top seed with important BIG EAST matchups against #12 Louisville (17-4, 5-2), Syracuse (16-3, 4-2) and an inevitably intense rematch at home with #3 Connecticut (18-1, 5-1) in the final game of the season.
The Fighting Irish will take on Cincinnati (8-11, 0-6) this Saturday at 2 pm ET in the Purcell Pavilion. Watch it live on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- It wouldn’t be half as sweet without you, fans! #NDFamily, tweet us your well wishes before we head to the… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago
- 1st Irish player to earn 4️⃣ straight double-doubles since 2004 🙌 #VoteForJess twitter.com/fightingirish/… 10 hours ago
- Jill Bodensteiner, who has been our sport admin since 2009, will be the next AD at Saint Joe's 👏 👏 We know you wil… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- The beauty of March Madness. Playing on the national stage for her hometown team. @SkyDigg4 is #IrishForever☘ FULL… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- Visit NCAA Tournament Central for all things #NDSweet16, including 🎟 info for @SpokaneArena! 🔗:… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 15 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- With a @CollegeSLAM 3pt invite secured... @MattyFarr3 ready to take on the nation’s best shooters on national TV Ma… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 21 hours ago
- ☘️💛💙☘️ https://t.co/bXSccdR4YR 3 days ago
- DEFENSE name of the game thus far OFFENSE ready to roll in 2nd half Catch the rally on ESPN https://t.co/BxmcR590rs 3 days ago
- Ready to kick off a St. Patricks’s Day celebration with a W Starting 🖐 vs Penn State 👑 @rexpflueger 🕷 @MattyFarr3… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- #DunksDuLac In green. On St. Patrick’s Day. #NotDoneYet ND vs PSU | Noon | Saturday | ESPN https://t.co/SVTuSKFSef 4 days ago
- Baseball. Irish Drop Season Opener to NIU
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Ready For Speedy NCAA Championship Week
- Track & Field. Nathan Richartz Named ACC Field Performer Of The Week
- Softball. Irish And Western Michigan Game Rescheduled For April 17
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Set To Host Michigan In Midweek Matchup