Jan 29, 2013, 3:41 PM EDT
Monday night was huge for the Notre Dame women’s basketball team.
Skylar Diggins, fresh off a record-setting game in which she scored her 2000th career point, put up a career-high single-game point total. The team beat the Lady Vols in Knoxville, Tenn. for the first time ever. And they made history by becoming the first NCAA women’s team to beat both Connecticut and Tennessee in three consecutive seasons, as well as becoming the first team to beat both of those teams on the road in the same season.
Jewell Loyd, Madison Cable, and Kayla McBride were the next three highest scorers with 10, nine, and nine points, respectively, en route to the Irish’s 77-67 victory that boosted Notre Dame to a 19-1 overall record, 7-0 in the BIG EAST.
Notre Dame sits second among a very interesting top four in women’s college basketball. Baylor (18-1) is first, followed by Notre Dame (19-1), Connecticut (18-1), and Stanford (18-2). While those teams are decidedly the top four, one could make an argument for almost any ordering.
Baylor’s only loss comes from Stanford, Notre Dame’s only loss comes from Baylor, Connecticut’s only loss comes from Notre Dame, and Stanford’s two losses come from Connecticut and #6 California (17-2).
All of that, however, only matters in determining the seeding for the quickly-approaching NCAA tournament in March. The remainder of Notre Dame’s schedule will be a chance for them to prove that they deserve a top seed with important BIG EAST matchups against #12 Louisville (17-4, 5-2), Syracuse (16-3, 4-2) and an inevitably intense rematch at home with #3 Connecticut (18-1, 5-1) in the final game of the season.
The Fighting Irish will take on Cincinnati (8-11, 0-6) this Saturday at 2 pm ET in the Purcell Pavilion. Watch it live on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Some things never change for our b-day girl @MsPeters14 … championship fire always burns! wnba.com/news/peters-ex… http://t.co/qhyQigZiDb 15 hours ago
- Irish WBB great, Danielle Green, will be speaking at the FB Pep Rally! #showsomelove tomorrow at 5:45 pm in the Joyce Center (North Dome). 16 hours ago
- RT @WNBA: #BirthdaySelfie with @MsPeters14! http://t.co/Iw011N7xEr 19 hours ago
- #TBT to 1/15/01 for our 1st home sellout crowd and a win over UCONN. 1 of 45 sellouts in @ndwbb program history! http://t.co/3wl51j9aeH 22 hours ago
- WNBA finals so exciting with an ND alum on each team 🍀 Devereaux Peters showing toughness last night! No other way. http://t.co/uCmx9zKwAq 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- When you're a student, the best things in life are free... ...Coach Brey agrees. http://t.co/0tcX320qP0 14 hours ago
- 👌Goggles. Defense. Hustle. All these things and more happened in our 1st practice. Check it out: http://t.co/UOWjsFAbfh 1 day ago
- What is Jerian Grant's favorite moment while at ND? He let us know on the @NYKnicks Twitter account. TAKE A LOOK: http://t.co/KlqQbsSgzE 2 days ago
- RT @NDMikeBrey: Our student body has helped us win a ton of games in my 15 years at ND. We think this is a great way to thank them. http:/… 2 days ago
- 🏃Hustle. 👊Grit. 🏀Defense. Those are 3 things we worked on in Practice #1. Who stepped up? Check it out. http://t.co/jJwnCNaKaf 2 days ago