Jan 29, 2013, 3:41 PM EST
Monday night was huge for the Notre Dame women’s basketball team.
Skylar Diggins, fresh off a record-setting game in which she scored her 2000th career point, put up a career-high single-game point total. The team beat the Lady Vols in Knoxville, Tenn. for the first time ever. And they made history by becoming the first NCAA women’s team to beat both Connecticut and Tennessee in three consecutive seasons, as well as becoming the first team to beat both of those teams on the road in the same season.
Jewell Loyd, Madison Cable, and Kayla McBride were the next three highest scorers with 10, nine, and nine points, respectively, en route to the Irish’s 77-67 victory that boosted Notre Dame to a 19-1 overall record, 7-0 in the BIG EAST.
Notre Dame sits second among a very interesting top four in women’s college basketball. Baylor (18-1) is first, followed by Notre Dame (19-1), Connecticut (18-1), and Stanford (18-2). While those teams are decidedly the top four, one could make an argument for almost any ordering.
Baylor’s only loss comes from Stanford, Notre Dame’s only loss comes from Baylor, Connecticut’s only loss comes from Notre Dame, and Stanford’s two losses come from Connecticut and #6 California (17-2).
All of that, however, only matters in determining the seeding for the quickly-approaching NCAA tournament in March. The remainder of Notre Dame’s schedule will be a chance for them to prove that they deserve a top seed with important BIG EAST matchups against #12 Louisville (17-4, 5-2), Syracuse (16-3, 4-2) and an inevitably intense rematch at home with #3 Connecticut (18-1, 5-1) in the final game of the season.
The Fighting Irish will take on Cincinnati (8-11, 0-6) this Saturday at 2 pm ET in the Purcell Pavilion. Watch it live on UND.com.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDsidMasters: It's Game Day in Greensboro as @ndwbb takes on Miami in @accwbb quarterfinals (2 ET on ACC-RSN/ESPN3/WatchESPN; listen on… 2 hours ago
- Check out the recap of our first & second day in Greensboro... flight, practice, and a pep rally! 🍀 LINK: youtube.com/watch?v=2P1_68… 12 hours ago
- RT @K_schott3: @KJWadz @ndwbb They sure do! It was so inspiring for our girls to have them visit our school. Great bunch. Go Notre Dame!! 12 hours ago
- RT @atporpga: @ndwbb Thanks for taking the time to stop by SPX today! You made the kids very happy and proud to be a COMET!! Go @ndwbb #sai… 16 hours ago
- RT @DiggerPhelps: I visited Fr Teds gravesite today. Can't believe he's really gone. Now with our Blessed Mother. Come Holy Spirit. Honor h… 16 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Our @NDfidm video crew went inside the locker room during the win over Louisville on Wednesday. TAKE A LOOK: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/Y1dG… 13 hours ago
- In the 1st episode of #InTheTeamRoom, Pat (@PlanetPat24) asks VJ (@VB3ND) the age old question, "Want some candy?" http://t.co/Kz16Coa465 17 hours ago
- Could Coach Brey be adding another national honor to his resume? He was recently named a Naismith CotY SEMIFINALIST. http://t.co/wUXbCfTO98 21 hours ago
- Congrats to Jerian on being named a @NaismithTrophy SEMIFINALIST. Check out his Award Site: und.com/jeriangrant/ http://t.co/yVnEYlR9o2 23 hours ago
- Did you miss our win over Louisville on Wednesday? Check out the HIGHLIGHTS: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/Z5Ym… 1 day ago