Jan 28, 2013, 4:26 PM EST
Pink Zone came into existence thanks to the efforts of the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association. The initiative was started in order to raise funds and awareness for breast cancer, and the Notre Dame women’s basketball team, along with the College of Science, has made a great effort to continually host Pink Zone events and fundraisers for breast cancer research.
This year’s Pink Zone: Spin-A-Thon took place over this past weekend both on Notre Dame’s campus (Jan. 25 – Jan. 26) and at the Knollwood Country Club (Jan. 26 – Jan. 27). At both locations, Notre Dame students, faculty, and other community residents took part in these 24-hour cycling events. Participants could sign up for as many hours as they could contribute, and each hour was a different “theme” to keep contributors entertained and focused on the great role that they were playing in the fight against breast cancer.
At the Rockne Memorial Gym on Notre Dame’s campus, the 5-6 pm hour of the Spin-A-Thon consisted of Pink Zone history and the Notre Dame women’s basketball team history. During this time slot, all of the riders were able to watch a number of inspiring videos while they learned about what they were actually riding for. In addition, during each hour, a few lucky cyclists were able to win some women’s basketball t-shirts in a raffle during their ride time. In addition, those who won t-shirts during this specific 5-6 pm hour were able to make their prize t-shirts even more special.
As a treat after the Pink Zone and basketball videos, a number of the current Notre Dame Women’s Basketball players came to visit the riders and encourage them in their final minutes of the cycling hour. Players Natalie Achonwa, Ariel Braker, Whitney Holloway, Madison Cable, Markisha Wright, and Kayla McBride stopped by the Rock after their workout to take part in this great event. Not only did they come to mingle with the riders and keep them motivated, but they took to t-shirt signing as well. Anyone who had won the raffle t-shirts automatically got their shirts signed, and the players even agreed to sign any other participants’ shirts as a way to show their support of all those who made the commitment to “ride for the cure.” For some of the players, though, the support didn’t stop at the t-shirt signing. As soon as she could, Markisha Wright jumped on one of the open bikes and started spinning with the rest of the participants.
Just as some of the Notre Dame women’s basketball players visited the Rock on Friday, a number of the players also went to visit and spin in the Spin-A-Thon at the Knollwood Country Club on the following Saturday after the conclusion of their home game that afternoon. Notre Dame’s Dean of the College of Science, Gregory Crawford, also went to spin at the country club as he represented the College of Science and its continued efforts in cancer research and fundraising for breast cancer.
Pink Zone events represent a great cause and are a blast to participate in! I even cycled for an hour with some friends on Friday at the Rock, and it was one of the best experiences that I have had at a Notre Dame event. If you would still like to join in the fight against breast cancer and be a part of Pink Zone events, Notre Dame Rec Sports, in conjunction with Pink Zone, is hosting a dodgeball tournament this Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2013, at Rolfs Sports Recreation Center. Online registration is still open, and I hope to play in the tournament myself.
Go Irish! Beat Cancer!
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Only a few days left to bin on customizable warm-up shirts to be worn in honor of loved ones @ Pink Zone Game! BID… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 minutes ago
- RT @ndwbb: Honor your loved one by having the Irish don a customizable warm-up shirt at our Pink Zone Game, Feb 12th! Bid NOW: https://t.c… 22 hours ago
- 💥Top Moments from the win over Boston College Thursday night! 💥 youtu.be/LAqR8ypGYjc 23 hours ago
- 31-15 third quarter, including 11-0 run, leads Notre Dame to 80-69 victory over Boston College! 📸 by Kevin Sabitus… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Irish win 80-69! Marina Mabrey leads Notre Dame with 21 points, her 3rd 20-points game of the season. Brianna Turne… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: 3x @NDmbb Captain 1st Round @NBA Draft Pick 2017 Ring of Honor Inductee David Rivers met the team before Saturday's Rin… 14 hours ago
- Trust. Belief. Freedom to play. ☘Irish Basketball☘ #LevelUp 👉 cbssports.com/college-basket… https://t.co/YEuenBLhjN 21 hours ago
- A.T. back for 2017-18! twitter.com/austin_torres0… 1 day ago
- Seems like ⏳forever⏳, hey @LepLegion? See you at ☀️High Noon☀️ on Saturday! https://t.co/tzDJ5eWA6S 1 day ago
- Great fight. Great edge right to the end. Still in first place and HEADING HOME! https://t.co/HWKqPpslUs 2 days ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Wegwerth's Third Period Tally Lifts Irish To Overtime Tie
- Swimming & Diving. Notre Dame Falls To Top-25 Louisville
- M. Tennis. Irish Defeat Cardinals 7-0 In Season Lid-Lifter
- Track. Keys To The Meet: Notre Dame Invitational
- W. Soccer. Romagnolo Adds Norman ('07) To Women's Soccer Coaching Staff