Jan 28, 2013, 4:26 PM EDT
Pink Zone came into existence thanks to the efforts of the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association. The initiative was started in order to raise funds and awareness for breast cancer, and the Notre Dame women’s basketball team, along with the College of Science, has made a great effort to continually host Pink Zone events and fundraisers for breast cancer research.
This year’s Pink Zone: Spin-A-Thon took place over this past weekend both on Notre Dame’s campus (Jan. 25 – Jan. 26) and at the Knollwood Country Club (Jan. 26 – Jan. 27). At both locations, Notre Dame students, faculty, and other community residents took part in these 24-hour cycling events. Participants could sign up for as many hours as they could contribute, and each hour was a different “theme” to keep contributors entertained and focused on the great role that they were playing in the fight against breast cancer.
At the Rockne Memorial Gym on Notre Dame’s campus, the 5-6 pm hour of the Spin-A-Thon consisted of Pink Zone history and the Notre Dame women’s basketball team history. During this time slot, all of the riders were able to watch a number of inspiring videos while they learned about what they were actually riding for. In addition, during each hour, a few lucky cyclists were able to win some women’s basketball t-shirts in a raffle during their ride time. In addition, those who won t-shirts during this specific 5-6 pm hour were able to make their prize t-shirts even more special.
As a treat after the Pink Zone and basketball videos, a number of the current Notre Dame Women’s Basketball players came to visit the riders and encourage them in their final minutes of the cycling hour. Players Natalie Achonwa, Ariel Braker, Whitney Holloway, Madison Cable, Markisha Wright, and Kayla McBride stopped by the Rock after their workout to take part in this great event. Not only did they come to mingle with the riders and keep them motivated, but they took to t-shirt signing as well. Anyone who had won the raffle t-shirts automatically got their shirts signed, and the players even agreed to sign any other participants’ shirts as a way to show their support of all those who made the commitment to “ride for the cure.” For some of the players, though, the support didn’t stop at the t-shirt signing. As soon as she could, Markisha Wright jumped on one of the open bikes and started spinning with the rest of the participants.
Just as some of the Notre Dame women’s basketball players visited the Rock on Friday, a number of the players also went to visit and spin in the Spin-A-Thon at the Knollwood Country Club on the following Saturday after the conclusion of their home game that afternoon. Notre Dame’s Dean of the College of Science, Gregory Crawford, also went to spin at the country club as he represented the College of Science and its continued efforts in cancer research and fundraising for breast cancer.
Pink Zone events represent a great cause and are a blast to participate in! I even cycled for an hour with some friends on Friday at the Rock, and it was one of the best experiences that I have had at a Notre Dame event. If you would still like to join in the fight against breast cancer and be a part of Pink Zone events, Notre Dame Rec Sports, in conjunction with Pink Zone, is hosting a dodgeball tournament this Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2013, at Rolfs Sports Recreation Center. Online registration is still open, and I hope to play in the tournament myself.
Go Irish! Beat Cancer!
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- ☘✌🏽 First day of school! 📸 [@ndwbb snapchat! Seniors & Freshies takin over for the day!!] https://t.co/zdNHks4tnr 20 hours ago
- Welcome Back BBQ! Our own @K_Westbeld33 designed the new @NotreDameSWD #IrishOn3 shirts! 💯 https://t.co/aw0qoYYfWZ 1 day ago
- Future Legends of ☘🏀! Welcome (officially) to the Class of 2020 and their families! #ND2020 https://t.co/a0EBlWFr03 4 days ago
- Experience of a Lifetime. #TBT to that time we played 🏀 on a 🇺🇸✈️🚢. 2012 Carrier Classic #NowhereElsebutNotreDame https://t.co/zpPpd8ORIE 5 days ago
- Special Visitor! 2006 grad Courtney (LaVere) Hobson stopped by our offices w/ her son Sawyer. ☘🏀👶🏼 #IrishForever https://t.co/nHGmlXKg29 6 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- ☘ Back with our Notre Dame Family. 💻🔬📖📚 First day of classes on campus - ready to start the year off right! https://t.co/2gfcvAIeXM 19 hours ago
- 🏅#GoldStandard ☘ Monty Williams helps USA Basketball win GOLD in Rio. https://t.co/xwZF7eQY56 1 day ago
- RT @NDMikeBrey: Had to throw on the Red, White & Blue Curry's to support @USABasketball & ND alum Monty Williams in Olympic semis! https://… 3 days ago
- 🇺🇸 118 - 🇪🇸 107 - 2008 Gold 🏅 game 🇺🇸 107 - 🇪🇸 100 - 2012 Gold 🏅 game 🇺🇸 🆚 🇪🇸 today to advance to 2016 Gold 🏅 game https://t.co/q2iGELWRu8 4 days ago
- ✅ Ceremonial First Pitch Strike ✅ 7th Inning Stretch With 41,000+ 😎 Coolest Coach In America https://t.co/iPueKlucEr 4 days ago
- W. Golf. Women’s Golf Faces Challenging 2016-17 Schedule
- M. Soccer. #9 Irish, Valpo Claw To Draw 1-1 In Scrimmage Finale
- M. Swimming. Notre Dame 2016-17 Swimming and Diving Schedule Released
- W. Swimming. Notre Dame 2016-17 Swimming and Diving Schedule Released
- M. Lacrosse. Kavanagh, Ossello Earn MLL Championship Rings