Jan 28, 2013, 1:54 PM EST
Whitney Holloway is a sophomore guard from Plainfield, Ill. who is not afraid to leave it all on the court. Don’t let her height fool you, she plays with a great tenacity that fits well with Notre Dame’s style of offense. She is well known to be tough and determined. I got the chance to chat with Whitney recently, and I had the pleasure of learning a lot about this great young player.
What is your major and why does it interest you?
My major is psychology, and it interests me because I like learning about psychology topics. I am in the class, Abnormal Psychology, and it is really interesting to learn about topics like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and depression. I really like to learn about the way people act and why they do the things that they do.
What attracted you to Notre Dame?
Pretty much everything! Academics, obviously, would be the number one reason that I was attracted to Notre Dame. The second most important reason, since I am from Plainfield, Ill., is that I am close to home, specifically only about two hours away. It’s great because my family can come watch me play, and they are here at every home game to support me. I love the team too. I get along really well with the girls, and we have great coaches here too. The fans are also the best, and the campus as a whole is just beautiful.
What one word would your teammates use to describe you?
I would probably say “fun,” since I am really goofy. I like to have fun and just “go with the flow.”
What do you plan/hope to do after your basketball career?
I want to play basketball for as long as I can, but after basketball, when I am much older, I would like to have a family, kids, and a nice job. I would like to live in the suburbs too.
What song always pumps you up before a game?
“Cinema” by Skrillex.
What is your favorite thing about playing basketball at Notre Dame?
Our fans! We sell out almost every single game. They are so energetic and get so into the game. Our fans are definitely the best.
If you were any other sport, what would it be?
What is your favorite memory with a teammate?
That would probably have to be going to the Bahamas last year for Thanksgiving. We had a big Thanksgiving dinner down there with all of the other teams that were there too. We were outside on the beach having this huge dinner, and it was just so much fun.
What is the hardest thing about being a student athlete?
We usually have practice at 3 pm and then finish by 5 pm. By the time that we leave the locker room, it’s about 5:30 om, and then by the time that I eat, it’s about 6:30 pm. After dinner, it’s about 7 pm, but then at that point, I am pretty tired and just want to go to bed, but I generally have at least three hours of homework left to do. As a result, the balance between basketball and schoolwork would definitely have to be the hardest part about being a student-athlete.
Do you have any pre-game rituals or superstitions?
No. But as a team, we always listen to a specific song before we go out onto the court. It’s a different song every year. This year, it is a song by Lil Wayne to pump us up.
What is your favorite place on campus?
South Dining Hall. They have great food and lots of variety. You can never go wrong there.
What is the most important thing that you have learned while playing at Notre Dame?
I would say just knowing that every single day, whether it’s in practice or in a game, you always have to give 100%. There are never any light days, and you can never take a break from trying your hardest. This mentality turns into being dedicated and determined. Qualities like that are very important.
What do you miss most about your home?
My mom’s cooking.
Who was your favorite cartoon character when you were a kid, and why?
If you could have dinner with three people, living or deceased, who would they be?
Beyonce, Derrick Rose, and Michael Jackson.
Check out the video below from last year, when Whitney was a freshman.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- #FourFavorites from Sunday's autograph ✍️ session after the game. #BestFansInTheLand https://t.co/57XdOhu7RY 46 minutes ago
- RT @ndwbb: .@JShepard32’s career high 39 points broke the all-time Purcell Pavilion scoring record in WBB history. 👏👏 https://t.co/UBZ8vfgl… 12 hours ago
- RT @ndwbb: 🏀 HIGHLIGHTS Check out the top moments of today's 9️⃣1️⃣-8️⃣2️⃣ victory over DePaul! #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/CxoBsUoBHc 14 hours ago
- 🏀 HIGHLIGHTS Check out the top moments of today's 9️⃣1️⃣-8️⃣2️⃣ victory over DePaul! #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/CxoBsUoBHc 17 hours ago
- .@JShepard32’s career high 39 points broke the all-time Purcell Pavilion scoring record in WBB history. 👏👏 https://t.co/UBZ8vfglaH 18 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Battle in the state capital heading to halftime. @Bcolson_35 12 pts, 5 reb https://t.co/eZqWKLx9N7 1 day ago
- Ready to roll in Indy. ☘️ vs Hoosiers 2:30 pm ET 📺 @FOXSports 📻 und.com/collegesportsl… https://t.co/ETgYYFKwlB 1 day ago
- RT @NDCheerTeam: Stitched in Tradition ••••• •••• ••• •• • See you in Indy ☘️ #CrossroadsClassic #BeatHoosiers https://t.co/qcOT9NBWZ3 2 days ago
- ❌⭕️ Mental prep ➕ 💪 Physical prep = ready for final 🏀workout🏀 before 💨🚌 to Indy https://t.co/6sKNLeEIW3 2 days ago
- Finals DONE ✅ ❌🚫 Ready to BALL on Saturday ☘️ vs IU | @BLFieldhouse | 2:30 ET @FOXSports https://t.co/KKRACJG9OQ 3 days ago