Jan 24, 2013, 4:04 PM EDT
Following a frigid week in South Bend, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team heads to South Florida this evening, and the Irish are hoping it’s more than just the weather that warms up in Tampa.
Just minutes before Notre Dame and Alabama met in the BCS championship game on Jan. 7, the Irish defeated Cincinnati to improve to 14-1 on the season.
But since that impressive road victory, the team has dropped three of its last four games. On Monday, the Irish shot just 35% from the field and fell to Georgetown, 63-47, in one of the worst home losses in recent memory.
One-third of the way through the BIG EAST schedule, the Irish are at a bit of a crossroads. At this point last season, they were 12-8 overall and 4-3 in the conference, and coming off of the memorable upset of #1 Syracuse that sparked a nine-game winning streak.
This year, Notre Dame is 15-4 with a 3-3 mark in conference play, and still trying to find itself in the BIG EAST. In Martin’s absence, Brey will have to shake up a starting lineup that has played together for much of the past season and a half.
Averaging 17.2 minutes per game, freshman Cam Biedscheid seems like the most likely candidate to fill the void in place of Martin. Biedscheid has shown great promise during his first season with the Irish, but struggled mightily against the Hoyas, finishing 0-for-8 from the field.
This was a team with high expectations when the season began in November, and even without Martin, it’s a team built upon veteran players – one that is still very capable of accomplishing a lot between now and March. And as college basketball proves to us year in and year out, anything can happen once we get to March.
The Irish will look to bounce back against the Bulls on Saturday at noon ET on the Big East Network, before returning home to face Villanova on Wednesday at 6 pm ET.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT to help send Natalie Achonwa to the @WNBA All Star game! 👀👏🏽 @NatAchon @IndianaFever #IrishintheWNBA… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 8 hours ago
- Congrats Ace! twitter.com/canbball/statu… 8 hours ago
- Throwin' it down on a Thursday! Follow us on Instagram (@ndwbb) to see more BTS from our cooking class! ☘️👌🏽🍽 https://t.co/6SHPJQZZED 9 hours ago
- Cooking class! @GoIrishCoachO might be starting a fire in the background! 👀😳🔥 https://t.co/VwXNdJlha0 10 hours ago
- "Pat Summitt was women's basketball. She put us on the map, she gave us credibility."-@MuffetMcGraw Your legacy l… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- 🏋️ We have the best strength & cond. guy in the business. 💪 T Ro is a key factor in our success. 📰 More:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 10 hours ago
- ❌ No Photoshop 🎦 Live Action 😮@Still ridiculous, @JerianGrant #DunksDuLac https://t.co/42laqRJ59a 13 hours ago
- The ACC/Big Ten Challenge matchup dates have been released. 🤜🤛 2014-15 Rematch. 📍East Lansing. 📅@Nov 30 ✔️🗓️ Mar… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- A Notre Dame Man. #SagerStrong https://t.co/jpR7i6dEw1 1 day ago
- RT @NDmbbSID: Curious for the latest info on @ndmbb ? @NDMikeBrey was a guest on @ISDUpdate Power Hour today - irishsportsdaily.com/s/2955/brey-jo… 2 days ago
- W. Basketball. Rivalry Renewal in Big Ten/ACC Challenge
- Track & Field. Track & Field Lands Seven on All-ACC Academic Team
- Fencing. Kiefer Named Nominee For NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Named The ACC Men's Lacrosse Scholar Athlete Of The Year
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council