Jan 24, 2013, 4:04 PM EDT
Following a frigid week in South Bend, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team heads to South Florida this evening, and the Irish are hoping it’s more than just the weather that warms up in Tampa.
Just minutes before Notre Dame and Alabama met in the BCS championship game on Jan. 7, the Irish defeated Cincinnati to improve to 14-1 on the season.
But since that impressive road victory, the team has dropped three of its last four games. On Monday, the Irish shot just 35% from the field and fell to Georgetown, 63-47, in one of the worst home losses in recent memory.
One-third of the way through the BIG EAST schedule, the Irish are at a bit of a crossroads. At this point last season, they were 12-8 overall and 4-3 in the conference, and coming off of the memorable upset of #1 Syracuse that sparked a nine-game winning streak.
This year, Notre Dame is 15-4 with a 3-3 mark in conference play, and still trying to find itself in the BIG EAST. In Martin’s absence, Brey will have to shake up a starting lineup that has played together for much of the past season and a half.
Averaging 17.2 minutes per game, freshman Cam Biedscheid seems like the most likely candidate to fill the void in place of Martin. Biedscheid has shown great promise during his first season with the Irish, but struggled mightily against the Hoyas, finishing 0-for-8 from the field.
This was a team with high expectations when the season began in November, and even without Martin, it’s a team built upon veteran players – one that is still very capable of accomplishing a lot between now and March. And as college basketball proves to us year in and year out, anything can happen once we get to March.
The Irish will look to bounce back against the Bulls on Saturday at noon ET on the Big East Network, before returning home to face Villanova on Wednesday at 6 pm ET.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Sneak peek No. ✌️ of the championship season documentary being shot by @NDFIM 🎬 #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/SwDdphvdFJ 17 hours ago
- When you're crushing it 💪 in your community like @SkyDigg4, it’s easy to see why this former Irish took home the… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- ☘️ Bring your glow sticks ☘️ Wear your best lime green shirt ☘️ Come be apart of our 2018-2019 intro video that wi… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Sneak Peek: Day 1️⃣ in shooting a documentary on the championship season 🎬🎥 #GoIrish☘️ https://t.co/UKjFyjJMT9 1 day ago
- “The walking bucket,” @kaymac_2123 continued her scoring tear last night as she dropped 27 points!… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: We know who we're voting for! 👇 👀 @NDmbb #GoIrish twitter.com/marchmadness/s… 3 days ago
- RT @NDmbb: Little glimpse of our work out today. Great to see @PHubb_3 out there! Another day to get better... #RiseTogether https://t.co/j… 3 days ago
- Little glimpse of our work out today. Great to see @PHubb_3 out there! Another day to get better... #RiseTogether https://t.co/j4jzSSNqUN 4 days ago
- Our ✋ scored ‘just’ 10,396 career points. twitter.com/marchmadness/s… 4 days ago
- 🏀+📚=🎓 Two graduates, two academic honors. Liam Nelligan (returning for a 5th this year) and Matt Gregory earn… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 days ago
- W. Volleyball. Johnson Announces Volleyball Staff For Upcoming Season
- W. Rowing. O'Tighearnaigh Named Honorable Mention All-American
- Football. Irish Trio Named To Bednarik,Maxwell Watch Lists
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps