Jan 24, 2013, 4:04 PM EST
Following a frigid week in South Bend, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team heads to South Florida this evening, and the Irish are hoping it’s more than just the weather that warms up in Tampa.
Just minutes before Notre Dame and Alabama met in the BCS championship game on Jan. 7, the Irish defeated Cincinnati to improve to 14-1 on the season.
But since that impressive road victory, the team has dropped three of its last four games. On Monday, the Irish shot just 35% from the field and fell to Georgetown, 63-47, in one of the worst home losses in recent memory.
One-third of the way through the BIG EAST schedule, the Irish are at a bit of a crossroads. At this point last season, they were 12-8 overall and 4-3 in the conference, and coming off of the memorable upset of #1 Syracuse that sparked a nine-game winning streak.
This year, Notre Dame is 15-4 with a 3-3 mark in conference play, and still trying to find itself in the BIG EAST. In Martin’s absence, Brey will have to shake up a starting lineup that has played together for much of the past season and a half.
Averaging 17.2 minutes per game, freshman Cam Biedscheid seems like the most likely candidate to fill the void in place of Martin. Biedscheid has shown great promise during his first season with the Irish, but struggled mightily against the Hoyas, finishing 0-for-8 from the field.
This was a team with high expectations when the season began in November, and even without Martin, it’s a team built upon veteran players – one that is still very capable of accomplishing a lot between now and March. And as college basketball proves to us year in and year out, anything can happen once we get to March.
The Irish will look to bounce back against the Bulls on Saturday at noon ET on the Big East Network, before returning home to face Villanova on Wednesday at 6 pm ET.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDsidMasters: DID YOU KNOW? Mabrey's triple-double came in 4th career game, 2nd fastest in D-I history behind Winthrop's Schaquilla Nun… 19 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: OF NOTE: Marina Mabrey's triple-double 1st by @ndwbb frosh & 2nd by @accwbb frosh + 12 stls 2nd-most in ACC history https… 19 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: Recap, highlights, stats, notes & photos from @ndwbb 110-54 win at Valpo on Monday are up: und.com/sports/w-baskb… https:… 19 hours ago
- A night for the record books as your Irish defeat Valparaiso, 110-54 behind a triple-double from Marina Mabrey! https://t.co/ikoY1ILGxP 23 hours ago
- FINAL - @ndwbb 110, Valparaiso 54 #NDvsVU 23 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Champions in 2010. Going for Title No. 2 in Orlando this week. #BringHomeTheHardware https://t.co/zqkW8ly9ud 2 hours ago
- Ranked: 17th. Record: 3-0. Up Next: Orlando Classic. #NotDoneYet https://t.co/Iumd63SII6 1 day ago
- Dear @WWE Heavyweight Champion Sheamus, Congrats on winning the title last night. Sincerely, The ACC Champions https://t.co/oH04ddOlT8 1 day ago
- Miss our 83-57 win on Saturday? Watch all the dunks, dishes, deep threes & defense! amp.twimg.com/v/3dfca25b-3aa… 2 days ago
- WATCH: GAME HIGHLIGHTS A Double-Double. #DunksDuLac. 3-0. The 18th-ranked Irish roll to a 83-57 win over Lowell. amp.twimg.com/v/3dfca25b-3aa… 3 days ago