Jan 24, 2013, 4:04 PM EDT
Following a frigid week in South Bend, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team heads to South Florida this evening, and the Irish are hoping it’s more than just the weather that warms up in Tampa.
Just minutes before Notre Dame and Alabama met in the BCS championship game on Jan. 7, the Irish defeated Cincinnati to improve to 14-1 on the season.
But since that impressive road victory, the team has dropped three of its last four games. On Monday, the Irish shot just 35% from the field and fell to Georgetown, 63-47, in one of the worst home losses in recent memory.
One-third of the way through the BIG EAST schedule, the Irish are at a bit of a crossroads. At this point last season, they were 12-8 overall and 4-3 in the conference, and coming off of the memorable upset of #1 Syracuse that sparked a nine-game winning streak.
This year, Notre Dame is 15-4 with a 3-3 mark in conference play, and still trying to find itself in the BIG EAST. In Martin’s absence, Brey will have to shake up a starting lineup that has played together for much of the past season and a half.
Averaging 17.2 minutes per game, freshman Cam Biedscheid seems like the most likely candidate to fill the void in place of Martin. Biedscheid has shown great promise during his first season with the Irish, but struggled mightily against the Hoyas, finishing 0-for-8 from the field.
This was a team with high expectations when the season began in November, and even without Martin, it’s a team built upon veteran players – one that is still very capable of accomplishing a lot between now and March. And as college basketball proves to us year in and year out, anything can happen once we get to March.
The Irish will look to bounce back against the Bulls on Saturday at noon ET on the Big East Network, before returning home to face Villanova on Wednesday at 6 pm ET.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: DID YOU KNOW? Over the past 5 seasons, @ndwbb has won 56 of its 58 regular-season road games. #NDFacts https://t.co/rS… 6 hours ago
- On Indy 500 Sunday, #IrishintheWNBA has 2 Indiana Fever players in action, plus a certain Indiana Miss Basketball! https://t.co/x7iCVxIDVb 15 hours ago
- Splash Brothers weren't only ones lighting it up last night, right Jewell? #IrishintheWNBA wnba.com/game/20160528/… https://t.co/hhBOFe4Tag 17 hours ago
- #IrishintheWNBA rolls on tonight with All-American & 2015 espnW National Player of the Year Jewell Loyd in action! https://t.co/EK3sern1Gn 1 day ago
- Start your Memorial Day weekend with some #IrishintheWNBA tonight … here's the full schedule! https://t.co/yj6bHg2B9p 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- A Sunday wouldn't be complete without a trick shot from one of our guys... REX FROM THE STANDS!! 👀@rexpflueger_1 https://t.co/K78A5Uvoix 9 hours ago
- SATURDAY SWAT. Presented by VJ Beachem. 👀@VjBeachem https://t.co/mOxMfliK1Q 1 day ago
- RT @bhans23: Bigtime congrats to @MIND2424 on being named head coach at Delaware! Was lucky to have him as a Coach during my playing days a… 2 days ago
- RT @JackCooligan45: The news of coach @MIND2424 becoming a head coach is outstanding. He has all the intangibles to be great. Congrats coac… 2 days ago
- RT @jordancornette: Delaware is getting 1 of the bright young coaches in next wave of elite sideline stars. Martin Ingelsby destined to suc… 2 days ago
- M. Tennis. Irish Run Ends In NCAA Doubles Semifinal
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Landis Repeats as USILA's Top Defensive Player
- Track. Barber and 4x400m Relay Punch Tickets to NCAA Championship
- M. Tennis. Lawson, Monaghan Punch Ticket To NCAA Semifinal
- M. Lacrosse. Landis, Perkovic Pace Notre Dame on USILA All-America Squad