Jan 24, 2013, 4:04 PM EDT
Following a frigid week in South Bend, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team heads to South Florida this evening, and the Irish are hoping it’s more than just the weather that warms up in Tampa.
Just minutes before Notre Dame and Alabama met in the BCS championship game on Jan. 7, the Irish defeated Cincinnati to improve to 14-1 on the season.
But since that impressive road victory, the team has dropped three of its last four games. On Monday, the Irish shot just 35% from the field and fell to Georgetown, 63-47, in one of the worst home losses in recent memory.
One-third of the way through the BIG EAST schedule, the Irish are at a bit of a crossroads. At this point last season, they were 12-8 overall and 4-3 in the conference, and coming off of the memorable upset of #1 Syracuse that sparked a nine-game winning streak.
This year, Notre Dame is 15-4 with a 3-3 mark in conference play, and still trying to find itself in the BIG EAST. In Martin’s absence, Brey will have to shake up a starting lineup that has played together for much of the past season and a half.
Averaging 17.2 minutes per game, freshman Cam Biedscheid seems like the most likely candidate to fill the void in place of Martin. Biedscheid has shown great promise during his first season with the Irish, but struggled mightily against the Hoyas, finishing 0-for-8 from the field.
This was a team with high expectations when the season began in November, and even without Martin, it’s a team built upon veteran players – one that is still very capable of accomplishing a lot between now and March. And as college basketball proves to us year in and year out, anything can happen once we get to March.
The Irish will look to bounce back against the Bulls on Saturday at noon ET on the Big East Network, before returning home to face Villanova on Wednesday at 6 pm ET.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDTIX: Women's hoops opens the season in just over a month! Have you got your season tix yet? bit.ly/15-16WBB @NDwbb #GoIrish #6… 2 hours ago
- Not wasting time ... Official practice has started!! Let's win the day 🍀 http://t.co/IJYGIS5sEe 7 hours ago
- ONE more day!!!! Official practice starts bright and early tomorrow. twitter.com/NCAAWomensBKB/… 1 day ago
- ✔️ 2 @ndwbb All-Americans 🏆 1 will be @WNBA champion Finals Gm 1 - @NatAchon (IND) at @MsPeters14 (MIN) … 3p ET, ABC http://t.co/2kNlcZdSZ5 2 days ago
- The work has already begun, but official practice starts on Tuesday! #weready 🍀🏀🍀 http://t.co/gkfqMGYOth 3 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- 🏃Hustle. 👊Grit. 🏀Defense. Those are 3 things we worked on in Practice #1. Who stepped up? Check it out. http://t.co/jJwnCNaKaf 2 hours ago
- THE JOURNEY BEGINS NOW. You Ready? We're going through the season's 1st practice after winning ACC Title last year. http://t.co/RREJvwYyl4 22 hours ago
- RT @nyknicks: Taking over North Carolina and winning the ACC championship 🏆 twitter.com/ndmbb/status/6… 22 hours ago
- RT @NDMikeBrey: I'm excited about getting back on the court & teaching our guys at our first practice of the year. Our group's focus has b… 23 hours ago
- SPLASH💦 Jerian Grant doing @JerianGrant things at @nyknicks camp. (ht @nyknicks) vine.co/v/e2X1h6FqYue 1 day ago
- W. Golf. Records Fall as Irish Soar Into Lead at Nebraska Tourney
- W. Rowing. #ILookLikeAnEngineer Twitter Initiative Rings True For @NDRowing
- Football. The Irish & Navy Show Mutual Respect On Field & On NBCSN
- W. Golf. From The First Tee: Irish at Chip-N Club Invitational
- M. Tennis. Covalschi Falls At ITA All-American Championships