Jan 24, 2013, 4:04 PM EST
Following a frigid week in South Bend, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team heads to South Florida this evening, and the Irish are hoping it’s more than just the weather that warms up in Tampa.
Just minutes before Notre Dame and Alabama met in the BCS championship game on Jan. 7, the Irish defeated Cincinnati to improve to 14-1 on the season.
But since that impressive road victory, the team has dropped three of its last four games. On Monday, the Irish shot just 35% from the field and fell to Georgetown, 63-47, in one of the worst home losses in recent memory.
One-third of the way through the BIG EAST schedule, the Irish are at a bit of a crossroads. At this point last season, they were 12-8 overall and 4-3 in the conference, and coming off of the memorable upset of #1 Syracuse that sparked a nine-game winning streak.
This year, Notre Dame is 15-4 with a 3-3 mark in conference play, and still trying to find itself in the BIG EAST. In Martin’s absence, Brey will have to shake up a starting lineup that has played together for much of the past season and a half.
Averaging 17.2 minutes per game, freshman Cam Biedscheid seems like the most likely candidate to fill the void in place of Martin. Biedscheid has shown great promise during his first season with the Irish, but struggled mightily against the Hoyas, finishing 0-for-8 from the field.
This was a team with high expectations when the season began in November, and even without Martin, it’s a team built upon veteran players – one that is still very capable of accomplishing a lot between now and March. And as college basketball proves to us year in and year out, anything can happen once we get to March.
The Irish will look to bounce back against the Bulls on Saturday at noon ET on the Big East Network, before returning home to face Villanova on Wednesday at 6 pm ET.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Been a great wknd for @FightingIrish - now it's our turn! Gameday in the 'Ville for @ndwbb. Catch us on ESPN2! https://t.co/9Hiuqb7jh1 1 hour ago
- Can you hear us cheering from Louisville 🙌 Congrats to @NDmbb on a HUGE WIN over #2 UNC 🍀🏀🍀 #GoIrish 12 hours ago
- Getting ready for Louisville! Arike is taking over @ndwbb snapchat today during our travels ✈️ Make sure to follow 🍀 20 hours ago
- The top 2 teams in the ACC will square off Sunday at 2 pm ET as @ndwbb heads to Louisville. Game will be on ESPN2 https://t.co/uITHIcahXy 21 hours ago
- All the excitement of @CollegeGameDay here in South Bend today! https://t.co/GGONNnefj8 21 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Go INSIDE Our Locker Room. Go INSIDE The Court Storm. Go INSIDE The Game with IRISH ACCESS from our win vs. #2 UNC. amp.twimg.com/v/ccee11e4-592… 22 minutes ago
- Goodnight. https://t.co/xIntJsoyNu 9 hours ago
- RT @UAbasketball: No luck. All skill and will. #GoIrish #IWILL https://t.co/74noDfSGmU 10 hours ago
- RT @CoachBrianKelly: Can we stop calling wins vs. top-ranked teams "upsets" for Coach Brey & his team? CROWD was amazing for us tonight! h… 10 hours ago
- RT @ESPNCBB: Current mood https://t.co/0DynWODE1w 10 hours ago
- M. Basketball. Postgame Quotes
- M. Ice Hockey. Petersen Leads No. 10 Irish to 3-1 Win and Weekend Sweep at Vermont
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame takes down #2 North Carolina, 80-76
- W. Lacrosse. #7 Irish Earn Sweet Win at Jacksonville
- Track. Molly Seidel Breaks School and Meet Record on Day Two of Meyo Invite