Jan 24, 2013, 4:04 PM EDT
Following a frigid week in South Bend, the Notre Dame men’s basketball team heads to South Florida this evening, and the Irish are hoping it’s more than just the weather that warms up in Tampa.
Just minutes before Notre Dame and Alabama met in the BCS championship game on Jan. 7, the Irish defeated Cincinnati to improve to 14-1 on the season.
But since that impressive road victory, the team has dropped three of its last four games. On Monday, the Irish shot just 35% from the field and fell to Georgetown, 63-47, in one of the worst home losses in recent memory.
One-third of the way through the BIG EAST schedule, the Irish are at a bit of a crossroads. At this point last season, they were 12-8 overall and 4-3 in the conference, and coming off of the memorable upset of #1 Syracuse that sparked a nine-game winning streak.
This year, Notre Dame is 15-4 with a 3-3 mark in conference play, and still trying to find itself in the BIG EAST. In Martin’s absence, Brey will have to shake up a starting lineup that has played together for much of the past season and a half.
Averaging 17.2 minutes per game, freshman Cam Biedscheid seems like the most likely candidate to fill the void in place of Martin. Biedscheid has shown great promise during his first season with the Irish, but struggled mightily against the Hoyas, finishing 0-for-8 from the field.
This was a team with high expectations when the season began in November, and even without Martin, it’s a team built upon veteran players – one that is still very capable of accomplishing a lot between now and March. And as college basketball proves to us year in and year out, anything can happen once we get to March.
The Irish will look to bounce back against the Bulls on Saturday at noon ET on the Big East Network, before returning home to face Villanova on Wednesday at 6 pm ET.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Bri ➡️ South Africa 🇿🇦 Koko ➡️ Greece 🇬🇷 Amazing Summer Abroad opportunities for @ndwbb players are happening soon 🌎 #NDExperience 14 hours ago
- Congrats to Michaela as she finished her academic career here at Notre Dame! #LookoutWorld twitter.com/mmabrey23/stat… 1 day ago
- Pancakes ✔️ Waffles ✔️ Eggs ✔️ @MuffetMcGraw is at it again! Breakfast for dinner during finals week for the team🍴 https://t.co/CVB8YlYu68 3 days ago
- Final Exams have started 📚📝 Best of luck to our @ndwbb ladies and all @NotreDame students as they CONQUER this week 🍀 3 days ago
- April showers have brought May flowers here at #NotreDame. No denying the beauty of this campus! https://t.co/5TdnjAc3GJ 4 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Jerian Grant's Resume: 🏀All-American 🍀Notre Dame Grad 🏆ACC Champion 🏧1st Round NBA Draft Pick 💯IRON MAN #CivilWar https://t.co/YWc6GAwUkA 7 hours ago
- RT @MattyFarr3: Sophomore year ✅ Back to jersey tomorrow!! ✈️✈️ 1 day ago
- RT @Martin_Geben: One more exam left until my sophomore year is completed! 📚 #NotDoneYet @NDmbb 1 day ago
- An old BIG EAST battle! 🏀ND-Villanova 📅Dec. 10 📍Prudential Center ⏰Noon 📺CBS ➡️ und.com/sports/m-baskb… #NFTC2016 https://t.co/nDLusPGI94 1 day ago
- DEVELOP your game:✔️ GRADUATE from a TOP University:✔️ DRAFTED in the NBA:✔️ There is ONLY one NOTRE DAME. https://t.co/SXPGbaiuI8 2 days ago
- W. Golf. Irish 10th After First Round of NCAA Birmingham Regional
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Close Regular-Season Slate with Home Date vs. Army West Point
- W. Lacrosse. Honors Pour in For No. 6 Notre Dame
- W. Soccer. Irish Look Toward Future After Solid Spring Campaign
- M. Soccer. Irish Unveil Strong 2016 Soccer Schedule