Jan 23, 2013, 8:41 AM EST
Following a trip to Rome and the Vatican over winter break, Father Pete McCormick, chaplain of the Notre Dame men’s basketball team, returned to South Bend with a pleasant surprise for the players, coaches, and support staff. After joining Pope Benedict XVI in an evening prayer on New Year’s Eve, Father Pete had several medals depicting Our Lady of Guadalupe blessed by the Pope as he passed through at the conclusion of the prayer.
Father Pete felt the need to bring back something a little extra special to the States because his return flight interfered with his usual pre-game Mass said one day prior to each home game. In this case, it was the BIG EAST opener against Seton Hall back on January 5th.
“I went to a religious goods shop right next to the Vatican and I bought these medals of Our Lady of Guadalupe,” explained Father Pete. “Saturday morning when I got back, I had breakfast with the team and handed them out. I didn’t want to buy the standard medals for the guys. I needed to get them something a little extra.”
The players immediately recognized the uniqueness of the medals, having received an article filled with deeper meaning than the pictorial representation itself. Jack Cooley later informed Father Pete that his mom had stolen the medal after hearing it had been blessed by the Pope. “I was heartened by the team’s reaction. They were genuinely appreciative and it meant a lot to them.”
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: ☘ Irish visit the Women's Hoops Hall of Fame 🏆 '01 @ndwbb won the National Championship 👠 '11 @MuffetMcGraw was indu… 9 hours ago
- Miss the latest Muffet McGraw Radio Show? Catch up here before our next live show at @ORourkes_Pub- January 23rd! youtu.be/Y4C6BSnr_JA 16 hours ago
- Final from Knoxville. Marina Mabrey leads the Irish with 17 points. #LoveTheeNotreDame https://t.co/EDUHBOEYaQ 1 day ago
- #HereComeTheIrish ☘️ ESPN2 https://t.co/SzyTxKmWRi 1 day ago
- Marina Mabrey leads the Irish with 14 points as they lead Tennessee by 10 headed into the fourth quarter. https://t.co/1Ny00OZaew 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Consistency is what we are all about. You might call it 'underappreciated.' We call it - Notre Dame Basketball. und.com/sports/m-baskb… 14 hours ago
- The 📸best dressed📸 staff in America reminds you to vote every day for @NDMikeBrey in #Coaches4Charity Challenge 👉… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 🚨Player of the Week ALERT🚨 Steve Vasturia named co @accmbb Player of the Week Averaged 15.0ppg, 5.0 rpg, 5.0 apg i… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 🤔 What do we call it? ☄️ The dive? 🕵️ The steal? 👉 How about just... 💪 Toughness 💪 #ClosingTime https://t.co/R6EVTTEHJR 2 days ago
- How do you get to first place in the best league in the country? 💪Effort plays at the end of games.💪 ND 16-2, 5-0 i… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago
- M. Basketball. SI Now - Why Is Notre Dame Underappreciated?
- General News. Torain Joins Athletics Department As Associate Athletics Director
- W. Basketball. Irish Fall in Final Minute at Tennessee
- M. Basketball. Florida State Preview - Ten Things To Know
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Irish Taking Longer Early Look in Mirror