Jan 11, 2013, 8:36 AM EST
Markisha “Keesh” Wright, a center on the women’s basketball team, is a sophomore from Des Moines, Iowa, currently living in Ryan Hall with many of her teammates. Having already played in the NCAA Championship as a freshman, Wright has valuable experience against high caliber teams that will help her as she takes on a larger role in 2013. I had the chance to talk to her a couple weeks ago and ask her a few questions.
Q: Why did you choose Notre Dame?
I chose Notre Dame because when I came here I loved the girls, and tradition was a big thing at my high school, so this was a big standout to me, especially how much they value tradition and family here.
Q: What other colleges were you considering?
My other top school was Iowa—it was mainly between there and [Notre Dame].
Q: Could you explain the nickname “Mom” from high school?
I guess I was always on top of people, making sure they were okay, making sure they had their shoes, making sure they had their ankle braces, making sure they cleaned their lockers when it was time to clean their lockers.
Q: What was your high school basketball career like?
My junior year, we made it to the state championship and lost by three to Linn-Mar, who had Kiah Stokes, who’s now on UConn. My senior year, we won state. We beat, actually I don’t remember who we beat, but we won, and we were undefeated.
Q: Is there any story behind your number (34)?
Shaq. When I was younger, I liked the Lakers, and I think 34 was my number when I first moved to Iowa, which was in sixth grade, so I’ve had it since then.
Q: Are you still a Lakers fan?
Yes, I am still a Lakers fan.
Q: Do you like Steve Nash?
I love Steve Nash. My cousin actually used to play for the [Phoenix] Suns, so I liked Steve Nash before [he came to LA].
Q: And you’re related to Darryl Strawberry?
Q: And your cousin is his son?
Q: Do you ever see Darryl Strawberry?
They’re both named Darryl Strawberry. Which one?
Q: The baseball player.
I actually haven’t seen him in a long time—I don’t really talk to him. He’s my first cousin, but my older brother and my mom talk to him a lot. They’re pretty close to that side of the family.
Q: Is there a professional basketball player who you like to watch or whose style you appreciate?
I like how Dwight Howard plays, but I would have to say Devereaux Peters, who used to play here. I like her energy and her craftiness.
Q: Is there a particular game this season that you’re looking forward to?
All of them.
Q: Are you looking forward to the tournament in the spring?
Q: Are you guys going to win it?
I hope so. I hope we can get back to the championship game and finish it off the right way, but that takes hard work, and you have to start by doing it in practice everyday.
Q: Do you have a pregame ritual that you typically go through?
After I eat, I always go to the bathroom at Gate 6. I don’t use the locker room, I use Gate 6.
Q: Is there team dinner before your games?
Yes, we have pregame lunch and dinner.
Q: What’s your favorite shot to use in HORSE?
I usually go with the backwards free throw or the backwards three.
Q: Do you look back, or do you just shoot it blindly?
I actually shoot it like a free throw (as opposed to flinging it underhand).
Q: I’ve asked a couple of the other players this, but if Skylar–
Skylar would win.
Q: Would Manti score?
Yeah I think it’d be 12-5.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @MGolicJR57: But man what a full life! If the goal is to leave it better than you found it, few have done it better! Rest easy Father He… 9 minutes ago
- Good luck to @Arike_O tonight! Wishing you the best of luck! #FutureIrish🍀 http://t.co/6ytfzySqqp 11 minutes ago
- "A major change during the Hesburgh era was the admission of women to undergraduate program in 1972." #ThankYouFrTed hesburgh.nd.edu 54 minutes ago
- God. Country. Notre Dame. Rest in Peace, Father Hesburgh http://t.co/8GJ4qhSFTe 2 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: Full coverage (recap, box score, highlights, notes, quotes & photos) from tonight's @ndwbb 87-59 win vs Pitt now up: http… 10 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Ever want to be part of ND Hoops, but you lacked the jump shot? Go inside our squad on the SHOWTIME special, HOOPS•U http://t.co/yNfdaMySmQ 15 hours ago
- This will make a lot more sense after you read the #WaPo article on Jerian & his bros. READ: washingtonpost.com/sports/for-hoo… http://t.co/uFozQewaQ3 16 hours ago
- DYK: There are only 2 players in America that average 7 rebounds & 2 3-pointers/game ... Pat is one. (HT @JB_Long) http://t.co/G0S1ZVNJ1X 20 hours ago
- You can officially add "Oscar Robertson Trophy" (USBWA POY) to Jerian's outstanding collegiate resume. #WhatsNext http://t.co/S8lv40VwCw 21 hours ago
- We're so proud to see alum Jack Cooley suit up for his 1st NBA game with the @UtahJazz vs. the Lakers. #NDinNBA http://t.co/8lTJIJ82pf 1 day ago
- Baseball. Irish Head To Peach State For Final Non-Conference Tune-Up
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #4 Notre Dame 87, Pittsburgh 59
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Quotes
- M. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Senior Leadership Helps Keep Irish Train on Track
- W. Lacrosse. Fortunato and Sullivan Named to Tewaaraton Award Watch List