Jan 6, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
The fifth-ranked Fighting Irish traveled to Storrs, Conn. to take on the top-ranked Huskies in what could be a preview of the NCAA national championship come spring, and proved that they’re one of the nation’s top teams.
The Connecticut Huskies (12-0) beat their previous 12 opponents by an average of 43 points, including a rout of then-top-ranked Stanford 61-35, so for the Irish to come out and never trail by more than five points was an exciting testament to their potential this year.
The BIG EAST matchup was full of lead changes (10) and momentum swings, but never big enough to tip the balance one way or the other, and the Irish went into the half leading 38-37. The Huskies came out with a big second half surge and took over the lead, looking like they might bust the game open and run away with another win, but Notre Dame’s star guard Skylar Diggins was not on board.
With 8:28 left in the game and the Huskies leading by four, Diggins threw up a shot of desperation seconds before the shot clock expired that somehow found the basket, drawing the Irish within two. That play served as a clear turning point for the Irish, reviving some energy that had been lost in the Huskies’ second-half run.
From there, the team’s traded one-point leads and fouls until the clock wound down to the final minute. Notre Dame led 73-72 after Diggins sank two free throws with 0:50 left.
Connecticut took it down off the inbound and got it to freshman star forward Breanna Stewart at the top of the key, but her three-point attempt was blocked by Notre Dame forward Ariel Braker.
Stewart was able to recover her rebound to keep Connecticut’s hopes alive, but another missed shot, another offensive rebound, and two Connecticut timeouts later, Braker came through again collecting a rebound off a last-chance missed three-point jumper from Huskies freshman guard Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis.
Braker got the ball to Diggins, who dribbled away the remaining few seconds before launching the ball skyward in celebration of the dramatic victory.
It was a physical game, illustrated by the CBS commentator who remarked, “they’re gonna need a lot of ice bags in these locker rooms.”
Kayla McBride led the team in points scored with 21, as well as adding three rebounds and three assists. Diggins put up 19 points and was 9-for-12 from the foul line.
Diggins frequently faced double and even triple teaming, as Connecticut clearly recognized Notre Dame’s most dangerous threat.
This exciting matchup proved that there won’t be a dominant #1 this year in women’s college basketball, and that the Fighting Irish definitely have a shot at returning to the national championship for the third consecutive year. Much of the season remains ahead, but the Irish will carry a new, stronger confidence with them as they navigate the rest of their tricky schedule in the days leading up the tournament.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Today we remember those who make the ultimate sacrifice to protect our freedom - your courage must never be forgotten http://t.co/xn8apY3otW 1 day ago
- RT @ruthriley00: Our @goirish student athlete's 1st ever study abroad program was quite the South African history… instagram.com/p/24KqdxjdZ9/ 1 day ago
- ICYMI- @SkyDigg4 was in all-WNBA mode - game-high 15 pts (6-11 fg) in 81-51 @TulsaShock win v @SAStars (@kaymac_2123 DNP-INJ) 2 days ago
- In 1st action in 14 mos., @NatAchon 7 pts (3-4 fg)/4 rebs/1 asst/1 blk in @IndianaFever 76-68 exhib loss to @ConnecticutSun #IrishintheWNBA 2 days ago
- RT @NDMensTennis: HISTORY!!!! @qNDtennis defeats Norrie of TCU 4-6, 6-1, 6-1 to advance to the first national singles semifinal in program … 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- Showtime Special:✔️ ACC Title:✔️ 14,700,000 watched Elite 8 game:✔️ ESPNU Special: 9:30pm ET Tonight What's Next? http://t.co/4vLX5HYrkC 13 hours ago
- 🇺🇸 http://t.co/7Nap9n8ahL 20 hours ago
- RT @E_Money_Katenda: Got a chance to read my bible where the apostle Paul gave his speech to the corinthians. #G3 http://t.co/6PGmVv4Avq 3 days ago
- Throwback to when we "danced" our way to a Championship. #ACCchamps #tbt http://t.co/lGBrZb70NY 4 days ago
- It's one thing to have expectations... ...it's another thing to surpass them. http://t.co/DPJ88regmx 5 days ago
- Baseball. Baseball In NCAA Regionals For First Time Since 2006
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Falls In NCAA Singles Championship Semifinal
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Extra: Notre Dame Men's Lax Drops Out Of NCAA Title Chase By Slimmest Of Margins
- Baseball. No. 20 Irish Fall To No. 6 Miami, 6-5, In Wild Finish
- W. Lacrosse. Katherine McManus Claims Yeardley Reynolds Love Unsung Hero Award