Jan 6, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
I’m sure there are thousands and thousands of families across the country that actually enjoy rooting for opposing teams. I’m told there are families where the sisters and brothers who graduated from rival institutions can commandeer opposite sides of the couch, make a lot of noise, and force the loser to take out the trash at the end of 40 minutes of basketball. I’ve heard there are cousins from neighboring states who engage in good-natured trash-talking in the week before their state flagship universities face off on the gridiron.
But my family is not one of them. My mom is a Connecticut grad and one heck of a dedicated fan. (By dedicated I mean she would try to use our dial-up connection to get radio broadcasts of basketball games back when we lived overseas.) We can start out watching Notre Dame-Connecticut games together, but we’ve yet to finish watching the game in the same room.
Which is why I thought it might have been just as well that a family outing went so far off track that we missed the game and learned the final score of yesterday’s 73-72 Notre Dame win on my phone.
But it turns out that her response was not tempered by the fact that we hadn’t actually watched the game.
“Your school is really starting to annoy me,” she said (The Huskies have lost five or their last six against the Irish, after all.) Then the kicker – “I might have to root for Alabama on Monday.”
(She was kidding. I think.)
While I’ll never think twice about cheering whole-heartedly for Notre Dame, I can’t pretend that it’s ever easy to cheer against my former-favorite team, now relegated to second place in my heart. I still root for the Huskies when they play any other team.
A rematch of these two powerhouses would make in the championship final would make for a great game and great TV. But for the sake of Jacobsen family harmony, another match-up might be safer.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Once our favorite 0️⃣0️⃣, @ruthriley00 & @SAStars are celebrating #️⃣1️⃣‼️ Good luck in your first draft as General… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 hour ago
- Excited to join in on the #WBCADayofService this weekend when we build with @SJCHabitat 🔨🏡🍀🏀 https://t.co/epxgNtHHsn 5 hours ago
- RT @MuffetMcGraw: Love hanging with this special group of women - nowhere else I'd rather be on MY Saturday night than with my team💚🍀 https… 3 days ago
- RT @EvaWestbrook: When the top 2 players in the nation pose together @evinawestbrook @iball_crzy @ndwbb #FightingIrish #NotreDame #GameReco… 3 days ago
- Happy Birthday, @IrishCoachIvey!!! Celebrate in style! ☘🏀💅🏾🎉🎂 https://t.co/i0esDXOHlX 4 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @NDHoopsRB: Coach Brey on Pure Sweat Basketball talking about our player development! itun.es/us/U96Ybb.c?i=… https://t.co/OSBFI5bpvh 14 hours ago
- 4️⃣4️⃣ days until The Irish return in 2016-17 Just 🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀 days until practice begins. Time to get to work. https://t.co/fipA7JyXXX 15 hours ago
- All our guys have a feel for the game. But Vasturia's feel can keep @NDMikeBrey calm on the sidelines. The Irish… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 2 days ago
- RT @NDmbb: He calls himself 'the loosest Coach in America.' 🕶🕶🕶🕶🕶 Let's add 'Coolest Coach in America' for @NDMikeBrey https://t.co/1mVSeFv… 4 days ago
- He calls himself 'the loosest Coach in America.' 🕶🕶🕶🕶🕶 Let's add 'Coolest Coach in America' for @NDMikeBrey https://t.co/1mVSeFvrxJ 5 days ago
- Football. Notre Dame-Syracuse 2016: Yet Another Challenge for Irish Defense
- W. Volleyball. Senior Katie Higgins Reflects on Her Notre Dame Volleyball Career
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Men's Lacrosse Teams Up With Todd Rundgren for Dickinson Academy Special
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Announces Notice Of Annual Meeting
- Football. Brian Kelly Syracuse Preview Press Conference Transcript