Jan 6, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
I’m sure there are thousands and thousands of families across the country that actually enjoy rooting for opposing teams. I’m told there are families where the sisters and brothers who graduated from rival institutions can commandeer opposite sides of the couch, make a lot of noise, and force the loser to take out the trash at the end of 40 minutes of basketball. I’ve heard there are cousins from neighboring states who engage in good-natured trash-talking in the week before their state flagship universities face off on the gridiron.
But my family is not one of them. My mom is a Connecticut grad and one heck of a dedicated fan. (By dedicated I mean she would try to use our dial-up connection to get radio broadcasts of basketball games back when we lived overseas.) We can start out watching Notre Dame-Connecticut games together, but we’ve yet to finish watching the game in the same room.
Which is why I thought it might have been just as well that a family outing went so far off track that we missed the game and learned the final score of yesterday’s 73-72 Notre Dame win on my phone.
But it turns out that her response was not tempered by the fact that we hadn’t actually watched the game.
“Your school is really starting to annoy me,” she said (The Huskies have lost five or their last six against the Irish, after all.) Then the kicker – “I might have to root for Alabama on Monday.”
(She was kidding. I think.)
While I’ll never think twice about cheering whole-heartedly for Notre Dame, I can’t pretend that it’s ever easy to cheer against my former-favorite team, now relegated to second place in my heart. I still root for the Huskies when they play any other team.
A rematch of these two powerhouses would make in the championship final would make for a great game and great TV. But for the sake of Jacobsen family harmony, another match-up might be safer.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @WNBA: Kayla McBride had 25 pts to propel @SAStars to a 102-85 win over @AtlantaDream. Angel McCoughtry @angel_35 had 14 for ATL. 7 hours ago
- Notre Dame ranks as top University in Midwest according to @Forbes forbes.com/sites/sergeikl… #WeareND http://t.co/Ntq7nanW5q 12 hours ago
- Spending last day of July recruiting @UnderArmour Cup in GA. $10 admission for coaches & great talent make for a first class event! 15 hours ago
- Last day of July recruiting for @MuffetMcGraw @GoIrishCoachO @IrishCoachIvey @BCunninghamND! Excited to get them back #homeunderthedome. 19 hours ago
- The @MuffetMcGraw Coaching Tree all together in Augusta! 🍀 Love all of our alums! #WeareND http://t.co/Uc8r9qIric 1 day ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- PC wasn't on NBA radar until he: 🏆Captained ACC Champs 📏Hopped 44" at Combine 🏀Led team in Reb. @ 6'5" #PCFacts twitter.com/trailblazers/s… 1 day ago
- We couldn't agree more, @GoodmanESPN. http://t.co/IMMhZMWYbq 1 day ago
- Additionally, PC ... ⚾️struck out the 2015 #1 Overall NFL Draft Pick 🏀dunked on the 2014 #2 Overall NBA Draft Pick twitter.com/trailblazers/s… 2 days ago
- Our team chaplain, Fr. Pete (Rt), & 2 other members of ND have begun ascent of Mt. Kilimanjaro🗻 Godspeed, DJMcSwish! http://t.co/JTPau08dnV 2 days ago
- DREAM BIG DREAMS A look at how Coach Brey built our program on the back of great student-athletes since 2000. READ: chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/07/23/emm… 3 days ago