Jan 6, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
I’m sure there are thousands and thousands of families across the country that actually enjoy rooting for opposing teams. I’m told there are families where the sisters and brothers who graduated from rival institutions can commandeer opposite sides of the couch, make a lot of noise, and force the loser to take out the trash at the end of 40 minutes of basketball. I’ve heard there are cousins from neighboring states who engage in good-natured trash-talking in the week before their state flagship universities face off on the gridiron.
But my family is not one of them. My mom is a Connecticut grad and one heck of a dedicated fan. (By dedicated I mean she would try to use our dial-up connection to get radio broadcasts of basketball games back when we lived overseas.) We can start out watching Notre Dame-Connecticut games together, but we’ve yet to finish watching the game in the same room.
Which is why I thought it might have been just as well that a family outing went so far off track that we missed the game and learned the final score of yesterday’s 73-72 Notre Dame win on my phone.
But it turns out that her response was not tempered by the fact that we hadn’t actually watched the game.
“Your school is really starting to annoy me,” she said (The Huskies have lost five or their last six against the Irish, after all.) Then the kicker – “I might have to root for Alabama on Monday.”
(She was kidding. I think.)
While I’ll never think twice about cheering whole-heartedly for Notre Dame, I can’t pretend that it’s ever easy to cheer against my former-favorite team, now relegated to second place in my heart. I still root for the Huskies when they play any other team.
A rematch of these two powerhouses would make in the championship final would make for a great game and great TV. But for the sake of Jacobsen family harmony, another match-up might be safer.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Season tickets are on sale NOW! 📞 574-631-7356 🖥 und.com/buytickets #GameOnND ☘🏀 2 hours ago
- ⏰ 8:30 AM 📞 (574) 631-7356 💻 und.com/buytickets Join the 7500+ that call #PurcellPavilion 🏠.. #GameOnND🏀 https://t.co/m3vgafXGpo 15 hours ago
- RT @evinawestbrook: Top 6.... Thank you to everyone who has supported me. #blessed🙏🏽 https://t.co/P50Cqh26vZ 15 hours ago
- 🚫 No shortcuts. 💪🏽 We work for everything. ☘🏀 #GameOnND https://t.co/eqtmH4G0kF 17 hours ago
- Mentor, Teacher, Coach! It never stops for @MuffetMcGraw. Great to have @UIndyWBB at workouts today. #GrowTheGame https://t.co/RK8H8eQkjg 17 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- From 💙Blue & Gold💛 to 💜Purple & Gold💛 From 🛫Marlborough to 🛬 Los Angeles From 🏀#DunksDuLac🏀 to 🌟#Showtime🌟 twitter.com/lakers/status/… 16 hours ago
- 📌 @NDMikeBrey pinpointing @VjBeachem 's role for us in 2016-17. #Together #NotDoneYet https://t.co/7FKH1vc5Ce 17 hours ago
- All 👀 on ☘ Already 5️⃣ scheduled national 📺 games - before ACC play even begins... https://t.co/t5qmPmVGPO 4 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 📝@NDmbb coach Mike Brey's summer checklist ⚾️Throw 1st pitch @ Wrigley Field 🎤Lead @Cubs through 7th-inning stretch htt… 5 days ago
- 🙌 That feeling of being back on campus playing pick up with your brothers. #Together @rexpflueger_1 @VjBeachem https://t.co/n2Ts8QyhWt 5 days ago
- W. Soccer. #12 Irish Solid In 3-0 Victory Over Western Michigan
- M. Soccer. #9 Irish Stymie New Mexico 1-0, Claim Berticelli Tourney
- M. Soccer. Notre Dame-New Mexico Men's Soccer Match Postponed Until 6 P.M. (ET)
- W. Soccer. Western Michigan Match Postponed Due To Lightning
- Football. Sunday Brunch: 20 Questions on Notre Dame Football 2016