Jan 6, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
I’m sure there are thousands and thousands of families across the country that actually enjoy rooting for opposing teams. I’m told there are families where the sisters and brothers who graduated from rival institutions can commandeer opposite sides of the couch, make a lot of noise, and force the loser to take out the trash at the end of 40 minutes of basketball. I’ve heard there are cousins from neighboring states who engage in good-natured trash-talking in the week before their state flagship universities face off on the gridiron.
But my family is not one of them. My mom is a Connecticut grad and one heck of a dedicated fan. (By dedicated I mean she would try to use our dial-up connection to get radio broadcasts of basketball games back when we lived overseas.) We can start out watching Notre Dame-Connecticut games together, but we’ve yet to finish watching the game in the same room.
Which is why I thought it might have been just as well that a family outing went so far off track that we missed the game and learned the final score of yesterday’s 73-72 Notre Dame win on my phone.
But it turns out that her response was not tempered by the fact that we hadn’t actually watched the game.
“Your school is really starting to annoy me,” she said (The Huskies have lost five or their last six against the Irish, after all.) Then the kicker – “I might have to root for Alabama on Monday.”
(She was kidding. I think.)
While I’ll never think twice about cheering whole-heartedly for Notre Dame, I can’t pretend that it’s ever easy to cheer against my former-favorite team, now relegated to second place in my heart. I still root for the Huskies when they play any other team.
A rematch of these two powerhouses would make in the championship final would make for a great game and great TV. But for the sake of Jacobsen family harmony, another match-up might be safer.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- April showers have brought May flowers here at #NotreDame. No denying the beauty of this campus! https://t.co/5TdnjAc3GJ 22 hours ago
- Looking Good! Excited to see former @ndwbb great @kaymac_2123 featured on the @SAStars season ticket card for '16! https://t.co/XU3ppj82tk 2 days ago
- RT @IndyStarSports: Female Athlete of the Year at the #INSportsAwards goes to recently named Miss Basketball --@JackieYoung3. https://t.co/… 3 days ago
- 🏀 @ndwbb will welcome the reigning Indiana Miss Basketball to campus for 2nd year in a row & 3rd time in 8 yrs! https://t.co/BWMmV2WWat 3 days ago
- Happy Birthday Matt McGraw! Thanks for all your do to support @MuffetMcGraw and @ndwbb! #greensweater https://t.co/ZcaIMtYOz7 3 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- VJ Beachem announces he will return for his senior season. VJ was named to NCAA East Regional Team. #BeachIsBack https://t.co/l08VkNQWb6 10 hours ago
- RT @NDMikeBrey: VJ did a great job gathering feedback from NBA. I'm thrilled he will return to lead us next season! #BeachIsBack https://… 12 hours ago
- RT @VjBeachem: Thankful for the opportunity to experience the NBA Draft process and invites to workout for teams but now I'm ready to lead… 12 hours ago
- Pat Connaughton & the @TrailBlazers begin Round 2 of the NBA Playoffs vs the Golden State Warriors Sunday. #NDinNBA https://t.co/QAdhiiHHal 16 hours ago
- Cousy Award finalist Demetrius Jackson invited to NBA Draft Combine. 🍀Resume 🏀Captain 🏀Winner 🏀15.8ppg #NDinNBA https://t.co/o5jqgJVoIa 1 day ago
- Softball. #19/18 Irish Split Strikeout Cancer Series With #RV Louisville
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Sunday Doubleheader To Ohio
- M. Lacrosse. Sunday Brunch: Irish Are Right There—They Need to Make One More Play
- Track. Irish Relays In Fine Form at Drake Relay Meet
- Football. Sheldon Day Drafted on Day Three of 2016 NFL Draft