Jan 6, 2013, 2:55 PM EST
I’m sure there are thousands and thousands of families across the country that actually enjoy rooting for opposing teams. I’m told there are families where the sisters and brothers who graduated from rival institutions can commandeer opposite sides of the couch, make a lot of noise, and force the loser to take out the trash at the end of 40 minutes of basketball. I’ve heard there are cousins from neighboring states who engage in good-natured trash-talking in the week before their state flagship universities face off on the gridiron.
But my family is not one of them. My mom is a Connecticut grad and one heck of a dedicated fan. (By dedicated I mean she would try to use our dial-up connection to get radio broadcasts of basketball games back when we lived overseas.) We can start out watching Notre Dame-Connecticut games together, but we’ve yet to finish watching the game in the same room.
Which is why I thought it might have been just as well that a family outing went so far off track that we missed the game and learned the final score of yesterday’s 73-72 Notre Dame win on my phone.
But it turns out that her response was not tempered by the fact that we hadn’t actually watched the game.
“Your school is really starting to annoy me,” she said (The Huskies have lost five or their last six against the Irish, after all.) Then the kicker – “I might have to root for Alabama on Monday.”
(She was kidding. I think.)
While I’ll never think twice about cheering whole-heartedly for Notre Dame, I can’t pretend that it’s ever easy to cheer against my former-favorite team, now relegated to second place in my heart. I still root for the Huskies when they play any other team.
A rematch of these two powerhouses would make in the championship final would make for a great game and great TV. But for the sake of Jacobsen family harmony, another match-up might be safer.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- "That was probably the best game we've played all year." - @MuffetMcGraw 👀 Top Moments from the win over Florida S… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 hour ago
- Irish win 4th consecutive outright ACC regular season title & secure #1 seed for upcoming ACC Tournament. RECAP ↘️ und.com/sports/w-baskb… 2 hours ago
- RT @ndwbb: #MOOD 🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆 The ONLY school with outright regular season conference titles for the last 6 years! (2x BIG EAST, 4x ACC) https… 3 hours ago
- 😍😍😍 👀 @mmabrey1 @Arike_O twitter.com/_dona_who/stat… 7 hours ago
- RT @espnW: Lindsay Allen ties @ndwbb's career assist record with 778 as Irish beat FSU to clinch the ACC. HIGHLIGHTS: https://t.co/s7AJzMH4… 16 hours ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- ↗️ Moving up ↗️ #19 in AP top 25 this week. t-2nd in ACC standings. ACC-best five-game win streak. https://t.co/4Q7QDpGFPR 2 hours ago
- There are NO easy wins in the ACC - and last night's victory over Georgia Tech proved that fact. Check out Irish Ac… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- Position Description: Shot Maker Fits Description Perfectly: Matt Farrell https://t.co/6ChuwM2KTI 17 hours ago
- 11 @accmbb wins! Nuff said. https://t.co/QpsBV8Tg2U 19 hours ago
- Great to be back in Purcell. Will take a tough 20 minutes to earn this one. https://t.co/XU3apAr99U 20 hours ago
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Looks to Continue Hot Streak in Arizona
- W. Golf. DiLisio Fires Six-Under Par 138 To Take Two Round Lead
- M. Basketball. Irish Increase Win Streak to Five With Victory Over Georgia Tech
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Another Big Run Prods Irish
- W. Basketball. Irish Beat #8 Seminoles to Retain ACC Championship