Jan 4, 2013, 1:43 PM EDT
Well, it’s finally here … the BIG EAST season. Seems like forever since the Notre Dame men’s basketball team played its last game, an 89-67 victory over Niagara on December 21, 2012. Fourteen days ago to be exact.
After a six-day break for the holidays with family and friends, head coach Mike Brey and the Irish returned to South Bend and have been in BIG EAST mode for the gauntlet of conference games and Saturday’s opener against Seton Hall.
The Pirates are off to an impressive 12-2 start and are riding a seven-game win streak heading into the contest. Seton Hall also won its BIG EAST opener, 73-72, at DePaul on Wednesday night.
Picked to finish third in the BIG EAST Preseason Coaches’ Poll, expectations await Brey and the Irish this season. Notre Dame heads into conference play riding a 10-game win streak, the third time in the Brey era with a win streak of 10 or more contests. The Irish are also 45-1 in their last 46 homes games and currently have won 16 straight at Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center.
Consistency has favored the Irish in recent years in BIG EAST play. Notre Dame owns a 31-9 (.775) mark against league foes over its last 40 regular-season season contests, including a 24-6 (.800) record over its last 30 league games. Over the past six seasons, the Irish own the third-best mark in league play with a 70-36 (.660) record. Since the 2006-07 campaign, Notre Dame has gone 47-6 (.887) at home against BIG EAST opponents, the best home winning percentage in league play over that time period. The Irish have been undefeated at Purcell in three of the last six campaign and are 19-1 in their last 20 BIG EAST home contests.
In BIG EAST openers, the Irish are 11-6 all-time an 8-4 under Mike Brey. Notre Dame has won each of last six conference openers.
Approximately four hours following tomorrow’s game, the Irish will board a bus and head to Cincinnati to face a Bearcat team on Monday night on ESPN2. The game was moved up 30 minutes to 6:30 pm (ET) so that fans can enjoy watching both Notre Dame team.
Playing Seton Hall and Cincinnati 48 hours apart marks the first of four Saturday-Monday turnarounds during the BIG EAST season for Notre Dame. Something that’s never easy, but expected by Brey and his Irish given the level of expectation and television draw and appeal that Notre Dame possesses.
Bernie Cafarelli (’83) is Notre Dame’s media relations director and the sports information director for the men’s basketball team.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @MuffetMcGraw: Love hanging with this special group of women - nowhere else I'd rather be on MY Saturday night than with my team💚🍀 https… 2 days ago
- RT @EvaWestbrook: When the top 2 players in the nation pose together @evinawestbrook @iball_crzy @ndwbb #FightingIrish #NotreDame #GameReco… 2 days ago
- Happy Birthday, @IrishCoachIvey!!! Celebrate in style! ☘🏀💅🏾🎉🎂 https://t.co/i0esDXOHlX 2 days ago
- RT @LA_Cruisen: Happy birthday to the greatest guard coach @IrishCoachIvey! So honored to have learned from you these past few years! Last… 2 days ago
- We can't let this day pass without wishing our incredible Director of Ops, Katie Capps, a Happy Birthday!! 🎉🎁🎂 https://t.co/dEBqjv7AXT 3 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- All our guys have a feel for the game. But Vasturia's feel can keep @NDMikeBrey calm on the sidelines. The Irish… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 23 hours ago
- RT @NDmbb: He calls himself 'the loosest Coach in America.' 🕶🕶🕶🕶🕶 Let's add 'Coolest Coach in America' for @NDMikeBrey https://t.co/1mVSeFv… 3 days ago
- He calls himself 'the loosest Coach in America.' 🕶🕶🕶🕶🕶 Let's add 'Coolest Coach in America' for @NDMikeBrey https://t.co/1mVSeFvrxJ 3 days ago
- 🇱🇹💪🇱🇹 Our Lithuanian Big Man @Martin_Geben is ready to showcase his development. The Irish return in 4️⃣9️⃣ days... https://t.co/wbJTZSEEYb 4 days ago
- RT @TheRealDJHarvey: Go Irish💯😈🍀! All glory to God🙏🏾 https://t.co/NJFRupxlqs 4 days ago
- M. Soccer. Getting To Know Men's Soccer's Matt Habrowski
- W. Soccer. Ten Questions: Kaleigh Olmsted
- M. Ice Hockey. NBC Sports Group Drops The Puck On Fourth Season Of Notre Dame Hockey Coverage
- M. Golf. Albin Tops Irish as Play Concludes in Arizona
- W. Golf. Irish Finish Sixth At Season Opening Schooner Classic