Dec 31, 2012, 8:44 AM EDT
Kaila Turner is a senior guard from Joliet, Ill., formerly of Lewis Hall, but currently residing off campus. In her fourth year with the team, Turner will look to make a big impact from beyond the arc. I got to talk to her after practice and ask her a few questions.
Q: Is there a story behind wearing #15 on your jersey?
Yeah when I was younger, I used to really like Tracy McGrady and Jason Kidd, so I kind of combined their numbers (because McGrady was #1 and Kidd was #5). Rather than picking one or the other, I just put them together.
Q: Do you have a favorite player in the NBA?
I liked T-Mac and Kidd when I was younger, but now I’d probably say Deron Williams–I really like his game as a point guard.
Q: How long have you been playing basketball?
Awhile. Since I was in kindergarden.
Q: What’s your major?
Psychology, with a minor in Africana Studies.
Q: Do you have a favorite class or a favorite professor?
Oh my god, I love Anre.
Anre Venter? Have you ever had him? He’s a psychology professor–he’s awesome. One of his classes, either Social Psych or Adolescent Development.
Q: Is there a player in the BIG EAST or another opponent that you like to go up against?
Probably Skylar Diggins, everyday in practice. She’s definitely the best guard in the BIG EAST, and it’s been fun going up against her since freshman year.
Q: Do you have high hopes for this year?
Oh, definitely. I think we have a very good, very talented team, and we work hard. We’re starting to get more and more comfortable everyday. Should be a good year.
Q: Why did you pick Notre Dame?
I think if anyone got a scholarship here, they probably wouldn’t pass it up. There were other great schools to go to, but not as great as Notre Dame.
Q: Besides the basketball team, what’s your favorite part about Notre Dame?
I just like it because there’s a family atmosphere. Everyone at Notre Dame is so passionate about this school–it’s really fun to be a part of this type of tradition.
Q: Is there one game in particular this season that you’re looking forward to?
Senior night. I’m not really looking forward to it, I’m kind of in between, because I know it’s going to be a really special game and something that I remember forever, but also my last time playing on this court.
Q: Do you have any sort of pregame ritual?
I have a certain type of music I like to listen to to get pumped up, but no other rituals.
Q: What type of music?
A lot of hip-hop, like Big Sean–I’m a really big fan of him right now.
Q: What’s your favorite shot for HORSE?
Actually, yeah, I have a game going on right now. I’m beating our coach’s son. The long range three is always money for me.
Q: Are you a three-shooter?
Yeah, I like to shoot threes.
Q: If Skylar Diggins was playing Manti Te’o 1v1 in a game to 11, who would win and what would the score be?
Skylar 11-0. Actually it would be 7-0 because it’s over after that. [To Skylar:] He asked who would win, you or Manti? [Skylar:] Did you say 7-0? He’d have to start with his back to the basket–he doesn’t know how to play offense.
Q: Anything else?
All the students should come out to see us play. The guys get all the students.
Q: Have you seen us play?
No, I’m a freshman.
You should come. You’ll see that we get more fans than the guys, but most of our fans are people from South Bend. We need the Leprechaun Legion for us!
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Make it ✌🏼former Irish on the @LVAces! #IrishintheWNBA☘️ twitter.com/LVAces/status/… 11 hours ago
- .@NatAchon & the @IndianaFever kick off their season today at 1 p.m. ET at home vs the Chicago Sky on NBATV.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 17 hours ago
- Watch Her Work! @SkyDigg4 kicks off the @WNBA season tonight at 10 pm ET. #GoIrish☘️ #IrishintheWNBA https://t.co/XhgbQgqmU9 1 day ago
- #TBT to the comeback that ignited the 🔥 #GoIrish☘️🏆 https://t.co/LqwJbh1rMK 2 days ago
- #TrophyThursday is in full swing at @SBChocolate downtown 😎☘️ https://t.co/nAQqPJZ3DB 2 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: 💪 women. 💪 role models. 💪 moms. To the Irish moms who support us, love us, and cheer us on, #HappyMothersDay. #GoIris… 6 days ago
- RT @NDRyanAyers: This the same dude who couldn't fall asleep unless the TV was on.. smh. Congrats on a fabulous career, roomie! @NDmbb http… 1 week ago
- The day is not over yet... #MayTheFourthBeWithYou https://t.co/g5kVYj5tEl 2 weeks ago
- Little over a 📅month📅 until our freshman class arrives on campus and there is still ⚡️buzz⚡️ out there about them!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 weeks ago
- Calling all @NDWashDC and DC area hoop fans - time for the Capital Classic! Get out Friday night to support… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 weeks ago