Dec 13, 2012, 2:37 PM EDT
With Christmas approaching quickly, it’s one of the busiest times of the year. On the hardwood however, it’s been a slow couple of weeks, as the Fighting Irish have only played twice in the past 14 days.
As Notre Dame prepares for Saturday’s in-state clash with Purdue at the Close the Gap Crossroads Classic in Indianapolis, let’s take a quick look back at the play of the Irish backcourt during this holiday season.
Against St. Francis (PA), Chicago State, Kentucky and Brown, Atkins averaged 13 points, 8.25 assists and two steals per game. During that stretch, he notched the second and third double-doubles of his tenure at Notre Dame, and set a career-high with 12 assists against the Bears. This all came while committing just one turnover (against the Wildcats) – a rather impressive stat for a player who handles the ball as often as the junior point guard.
For comparison’s sake, Rajon Rondo, one of the top point guards in the NBA, is averaging 3.6 turnovers per game in 18 contests this season. Rondo’s 3.63 assist-to-turnover ratio currently ranks fourth in the league.
Atkins’ 33 assists to one turnover in the past four games is more than seven times greater than Jason Kidd’s NBA-leading 4.69 mark.
Likewise, teammate and fellow Maryland native Jerian Grant has been spectacular too.
Since the Saturday after Thanksgiving, Grant has averaged 14.5 points and 8 assists per game. Against Chicago State, he tied a career-high with 22 points, and added 10 assists to post his second career double-double.
Notre Dame and Purdue will meet for the first time since 2004 on Saturday at 4:30 pm ET on ESPN2. Next week, the Irish will host a trio of teams at home – IPFW (Dec. 17), Kennesaw State (Dec. 19) and Niagara (Dec. 21) – before an extended Christmas break (They won’t play again until Jan. 5 against Seton Hall).
It’s early in the season, BIG EAST play has not even started and the toughest games are still ahead, but if the duo of Atkins and Grant can continue to play at a high level, there won’t be many teams who look forward to matching up with the Fighting Irish this winter.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- Might be opponents today, but they'll always be Irish ☘️😊💚 twitter.com/wnba/status/86… 14 hours ago
- Time to claim #IrishintheWNBA bragging rights! ☘️ @SkyDigg4 vs @kaymac_2123 ⏰ Tip at 12pm ET #WNBALive WNBA.Twitter.com 16 hours ago
- 💯 twitter.com/fiba3x3/status… 3 days ago
- 👀😳🔥 Congrats to @jewellloyd on scoring 1000 points in the League! 👏🏽🎉🙌🏽 https://t.co/olGJVFBdzl 3 days ago
- 4 years. 4 ACC Titles. And a #40YearDecision! Congrats to our grads, Diamond, Lindsay & Koko! ☘️🎓 https://t.co/rpuTlYYuzx 4 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- The Pick N Roll Master = @MattyFarr3 400 PnRs in 2016-17 (most in the ACC) Just 12% turnover ratio (lowest in ACC)… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- RT @NDMikeBrey: Torres, VJ & Steve: 4 years. 97 wins. 10 NCAA Tourney Games. An ACC Title. And a TON of great memories! I'm so proud to b… 4 days ago
- Great to know that Bonzie will be back. Coach Brey on the senior All-American: https://t.co/LPen9eIEI0 1 week ago
- RT @MonSportsNet: Watch 4 of new @NDmbb commit @PHubb_3's games from @GonzagaSports (incl. 1 w/@Ourand_SBJ on the call) FREE today! https:/… 1 week ago
- RT @PHubb_3: Let's make it official!🍀🏀#GoIrish @NDmbb https://t.co/FTw9Ta3tlF 1 week ago