Dec 10, 2012, 4:17 PM EDT
Hannah Huffman is a freshman guard from Diablo, Calif. She is not afraid to physically challenge her opponents in the paint, and she offers a versatile skill set to her team. I had the opportunity to talk to Hannah the other day and learn more about this promising new player.
What is your major and why does it interest you?
I’m thinking of going into business, but what aspect of business, I am not quite sure yet. Both of my parents were consulting, so I like that a lot. It’s all problem solving and working with a lot of people, so I like the idea of that.
What attracted you to Notre Dame?
My dad went here and graduated in ’86, so I have always been drawn to the school. Once I started the recruiting process, I saw what a great balance it had socially, academically, and athletically. They were the top in everything here. This was the perfect place for me to come to school, and it was a chance to get out of California for the first time, which is nice.
What one word would your teammates use to describe you?
What do you plan/hope to do after your basketball career?
I hope to be out in the business world and working, and I would also like to start a family a little while after. I just want to be in the city, enjoying being out of college and starting my life by taking on different things.
What song always pumps you up before a game?
I like “Lights,” the Bassnectar remix, by Ellie Goulding.
What is your favorite thing about playing basketball at Notre Dame?
Definitely the challenge that it presents. It makes you have to be physically and mentally tough every day. There are no days off, but I know it will be only beneficial in the long-run. It’s a great challenge and it’s fun. We get to have the best fans in the country, and the atmosphere is great in here!
If you were competing in any other sport, what would it be?
Football or swimming.
What is your favorite memory with a teammate?
That would have to be with my high school team. We had a team trip and wound up having a giant marshmallow fight. That was pretty hysterical!
What is the hardest thing about being a student athlete?
Time management. You have to make sure that you are up and at your peak mental performance at all times because we’re up late doing homework, and then we have to be up early for practice the next day. When normal students get a nap and get to relax a little bit, we’re out here [on the court] doing something. It’s about keeping balance and making sure that we got enough sleep, while making sure that we stay on top of our studies and do well on the basketball court so that we can get in [to the game] and make a difference for the team.
Do you have any pre-game rituals or superstitions?
Yes! I have to wear dark-colored spandex, everything always has to go right to left when putting on socks, shoes, and ankle tape. I also always have to wear my hair the same, and everything has to be in the same place in my locker.
What is your favorite place on campus?
Besides Taco Bell in LaFun, I really enjoy the Grotto. I think it’s a really cool place. If you just need ten minutes to get away from it all, that’s the place to go. I really like the Grotto.
What is the most important thing that you have learned while playing at Notre Dame?
Anything less than 100% isn’t going to get you where you want to be. If you aren’t 100% everyday, then you won’t be able to do everything that you want, and you won’t be able to be as successful as you hope to be. Whether it’s in basketball or school, you have to give everything that you have.
What is one thing you hope to do before you leave Notre Dame?
I would like to go into Stonehenge. I haven’t done that yet. And Stonehenge is right next to my dorm! So I have to go do that for sure.
What do you miss most about your home?
The weather. It’s getting cold here, so I miss the Cali weather. I also miss my niche that I have created at home. This is a new place, so I am still trying to feel my way out here. I’ve definitely just missed the comfort of being home.
Who was your favorite cartoon character when you were a kid, and why?
Who do I choose from?? I love Tom and Jerry! I used to watch them all the time, and I thought they were hilarious. I was a big Jerry fan at the end of the day, but I kind of had a soft spot for Tom too.
If you could have dinner with three people, dead or alive, who would they be?
I think Lady Gaga would be hilarious. Will Ferrell would also be funny. To include someone that’s serious, I would also pick the Dalai Lama.
About In The Paint
Women’s Basketball on YouTube
- There's no place like home. ☘️❤️ 📷: @mattcashore https://t.co/oQ8YjLHJmh 19 hours ago
- RT @IrishCoachIvey: WNBA ALL STAR ⭐️ SO HAPPY for Sky! Back from a knee injury and back in her 3rd Star game! Don't ever doubt yourself EVE… 2 days ago
- ☘ Good luck to @SkyDigg4 in the #WNBA ASG! ⌚️ 3:30p ET | ABC 📺 https://t.co/hGOQyVOEia 2 days ago
- RT @ndwbb: There are 🚫 shortcuts. Can't stop. Won't stop. Focused on our future. ☘️ #griND https://t.co/8DmZl6cNrP 2 days ago
- There are 🚫 shortcuts. Can't stop. Won't stop. Focused on our future. ☘️ #griND https://t.co/8DmZl6cNrP 3 days ago
Men’s Basketball on YouTube
- He can coach 🏀 He can play the 🥁 Can he cook 🔪🍅🥘? Find out Tues. July 25 at the Heritage Square Martin's More info:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 hours ago
- RT @MauiInv: You've read up on the first-round matchups for the @OfficialMauiJim @MauiInv. Now, who ya got? Game 3: @NDmbb vs. @GoSwords 3 days ago
- RT @RobDauster: Ethan Happ is one of the best defenders in America and he has no answers for Bonzie Colson, who has the entire arsenal work… 3 days ago
- And see you again on Dec. 9 in Newark, Coach Ingelsby. twitter.com/blueheningelsb… 4 days ago
- 🎉👏 Congrats to Matt Gregory - named to @NABC1927 16-17 Honors Court, rocking a 📈GPA +3⃣.2⃣ in Environ. Sciences and… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 days ago
- W. Tennis. Women's Tennis Welcomes Back Dasso ('01) As Assistant Coach
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Fan Experience
- M. Basketball. Men’s Basketball - Summer Headlines
- Swimming & Diving. World Championships Underway For Plaschka
- Fencing. Nelip Snares Silver At FIE Senior World Championships